PDA

View Full Version : [SCD] Sunforger

Litorers
02-03-2012, 10:50 PM
So uhm... maybe I'm bad but I might have found something pretty powerful, thought I'd share to get some insight.
So, Sunforger is basically a sword that costs one more to equip, hits harder, but provides no protection and a stranger way to gain card advantage. Now, many players have thrown this by the wayside because of the aforementioned facts - it seems almost strictly worse in the decks that want it. However, a UWr caw-blade shell could conceivably grab one of these with a Steelshaper's Gift, and then it's off to the races. Since the card doesn't need to connect for the effect to happen, it can be used as an effective tool against aggressive decks, repeatedly fetching lightning bolt and path to exile, or setting up the mirrorweave kill with Hero of Bladehold.

However, the best interaction I've found thus far is probably one of the more innocuous ones. On a non-threatening board, an equipped squawk, or other creature that can't be blocked, basically represents a pretty potent soft-lock with the use of the card Lapse of Certainty. Certainly not a complete lock, but the hawk is swinging in for 5 a turn, and it's not like you can't fetch anything else while using it or don't have access to your hand.

I don't know which of these paths seems strongest but I'm sure it could at least see some play in that style deck. Lapse of Certainty is certainly not exactly the card you want to be playing but it's not completely awful either, kind of like a reverse remand in white that costs 1 more. Anyways, I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts/deck ideas for a concept like this - seems like ti could do some very powerful things.

Kich867
02-04-2012, 01:30 AM
My bad, totally missed I was in the modern section. Opinion of sunforger still stands though: it's expensive to do what it does and it's hard to keep everything alive long enough to get all that going.

chags
02-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Due to the lack of protection and expensive equip cost that would need to be payed nearly every turn I'd say as tempting as this card can seem it is just too expensive. Overall you get better value from the protection and effects of the swords. Maybe if the swords didn't exist this would be more appealing.