PDA

View Full Version : R/u/x Blue Sligh

Hanni
02-22-2012, 05:26 PM
I don't really play Modern, but I just realized today that the majority of my Legacy R/u/w Blue Sligh deck is legal in Modern, so I figured... why the hell not?

Lands (19)
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Steam Vents
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Mountain

Creatures (15)
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Steppe Lynx

Spells (26)
4 Serum Visions
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Forked Bolt
2 Shard Volley
4 Searing Blaze

Lightning Helix is an option, not sure how aggressive the format is or how relevant the lifeloss from the manabase is to warrant it. There is also the option to cut white altogether to stay straight R/u, with Phanstasmal Bear replacing Steppe Lynx, which may or may not be better. Again, I haven't played a whole lot of Modern.

Thoughts? Or is this idea something already being discussed somewhere else?

Tombstalker
03-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Just noticed the source has a modern thread, sweet! I have actually been building your blue sligh deck for modern but I dont quite own all the cards yet. I was playing modern RUG delver but it was just too underwhelming compared to the legacy version.
Not sure how much you know about the format but modern is very fast, probably faster than legacy and without wasteland/stifle/daze etc higher cost spells like helix have more value. Also as you stated moderns manabase is painful so most people only run
2-4 rav duals and helix will help here. Im learning not to build/play like legacy although many things port over.

I would definitely include helix over FB/shard volley and consider a couple ghost quarters in place of 2 fetchlands. Manlands are abundant and quarter can always target your own fetch then fetch in response to pump lynx x 3 (havent tested this in game yet though). Other than that looks sick as usual, maybe consider snapcaster here as well since SCM is even better in modern and the number of quality burn spells is lower in modern.

Oops one last thing, you need an answer to lifegain like flames of the bloodhand for martyr proc.