I'm trying to build an aggro-combo deck that revolves around this combo:
Training Grounds
Izzet Guildmage
Manamorphose

How it works:
1) Play Training Grounds.
2) Play Izzet Guildmage.
3) Play Manamorphose.
4) Respond to Manamorphose by activating Izzy and copying the instant.
5) Let Izzy's ability resolve. Add UR and draw.
6) Repeat steps 4 & 5 netting R and one card each cycle.
7) Nuke them.

My first attempt revolved completely around the combo. It used Dizzy Spell and Muddle the Mixture to tutor up the piece I needed. Otherwise, it was all draw and counters and a little bit of removal. Overall, it sucked. It lost too quickly to aggro and didn't have anything going for it that made it a superior choice.

This is my second attempt. I decided to put more emphasis on aggression and less on control. It definitely works better than v1.0 because I can fall back on Delver and Guide putting the opponent in burn range. Once there, Izzet and Grounds can turn a single Bolt into four and quickly end the game.

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
2 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
3 [GP] Steam Vents
3 [UNH] Island
3 [UNH] Mountain
2 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs
2 [ISD] Sulfur Falls

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Delver of Secrets
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [GP] Izzet Guildmage
2 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique

// Spells
4 [FD] Serum Visions
4 [ROE] Training Grounds
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
3 [DIS] Spell Snare
4 [B] Lightning Bolt
2 [ROE] Forked Bolt
1 [CFX] Banefire

Any suggestions? I was thinking Disrupting Shoal might be good since I can pitch extra Grounds and Izzets, but I haven't tried it.

(nameless one)
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
It's funny how I also named a Modern deck called Manhattan Project in MTGS (it was Pili-Pala+Grand Architect combo (win with Blue Sun's Zenith and using tutors like Merchant Scroll to find pieces)

Anyways, I believe Azorius Guildmage is another means to control the board (along with Training Grounds) while you're assembling your combo. But I understand if you just want to stick with U/R for consistency.

Merchant Scroll can help you find Manamorphose, your win condition or even Pact of Negation (protection).

Also, Grim Lavamancer doesn't look as bad. I would run that instead of Guides (though you'd have to be control-combo and Delver might need to go as well)

kwelts
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
It's funny how I also named a Modern deck called Manhattan Project in MTGS (it was Pili-Pala+Grand Architect combo (win with Blue Sun's Zenith and using tutors like Merchant Scroll to find pieces)

Anyways, I believe Azorius Guildmage is another means to control the board (along with Training Grounds) while you're assembling your combo. But I understand if you just want to stick with U/R for consistency.

Merchant Scroll can help you find Manamorphose, your win condition or even Pact of Negation (protection).

Also, Grim Lavamancer doesn't look as bad. I would run that instead of Guides (though you'd have to be control-combo and Delver might need to go as well)

merchant scroll cant find manamorphose.