PDA

View Full Version : EvaGreen in Modern

Greenpoe
03-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Most of the deck comes from Legacy, but without Hymn or Bitterblossom, a black based deck in Modern needs to look for new inclusions, so in comes Phyrexian Crusader. It seems questionable at first, but protection from almost all removal is fantastic. He's great in combat and goes well with Inkmoth. Plus, if you get a Lashwrithe attached to him, he can win in 2 turns. +x/+x with first strike and wither is absolutely nuts. Lashwrithe may seem odd in a 2-colored deck with Inkmoth and Woodland Cemetery, but Urborg helps make up for that. Lashwrithe is just too good not to run. Lashwrithe with a Nighthawk is pretty insane, too.

Geralf's Messenger is worth including for his resilience to sweepers and the fact that he's fantastic on both offense and defense. The immediate :burn" effect is pretty sweet too.
// Lands
4 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
7 [DPA] Swamp
3 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
2 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery

// Creatures
3 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [MBS] Phyrexian Crusader

// Spells
3 [GPX] Maelstrom Pulse
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
4 [NPH] Lashwrithe

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 4 [HOP] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 4 [MR] Wrench Mind
SB: 4 [SHM] Fulminator Mage

hi-val
03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
I'd just cut Lashwrithes and make this Jund with Lightning Bolts and Bloodbraid Elves. The mana would certainly work.

Phoenix Ignition
03-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't see how the gameplan of running half infect half non-infect creatures is a winning one. Affinity gets away with it by just having a gigantic equipment and solely Inkmoth Nexus as a backup plan. You're splitting your clock between decent black beaters with infect and decent beaters without infect -- something that will make the deck just clunky and awkward.

So Phyrexian Crusader just doesn't seem right, but Inkmoth is a cool backup plan with your Lashwrithe. I would say put in something like Phyrexian Obliterator would work extremely well, as it's only real enemy is Path to Exile (which, I'll admit, is common, but if they don't have it he pretty much immediately wins it). Trample also helps with Lashwrithe.

Other than that, why not Gatekeeper of Malakir? He's incredibly good at keeping up tempo and can wear some equipment to keep aggressive.

Greenpoe
03-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Okay, here's a revised list, using the B-intensive creatures: Obliterator, Gatekeeper and Messenger. It's pretty strong.

// Lands
4 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
11 [DPA] Swamp
3 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery

// Creatures
4 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator
3 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
4 [FNM] Gatekeeper of Malakir

// Spells
4 [GPX] Maelstrom Pulse
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 4 [HOP] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 4 [SHM] Fulminator Mage
SB: 4 [U] Hypnotic Specter

03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I feel like Diregraf Ghoul or Gravecrawler would be a good fit. Your deck is really heavy on the 3 drops and light on turn 1 plays. Zoo and Affinity are still decks you know.

Greenpoe
03-31-2012, 12:44 AM
2/2's and 2/1's won't really take you far unless you build entirely around it with Haakon, Smallpox and Nameless Inversion, but at that point, you'll fold to graveyard hate. I know the deck is heavy on 3-drops, but I think 7 cards at 1cc and 8 and 2cc is plenty (12 if you count Gatekeeper). This isn't Counterbalance we're talking about here; you don't need a perfect curve. Besides, 2/1 Gravecrawlers or 2/2 Ghouls will just cry against a Goyf or KoTR. I'd rather just use discard and removal to get me through the early game, then dominate in the mid-game. Affinity demands SB Damnations whether you've got a strong early game or not. Zoo is not bad at all with all the removal.