PDA

View Full Version : Reanimator

Syaoran
05-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Hello all;

Way back when modern first came out, I saw the UW tron lists, using gifts. I saw that some of the went gifts-Iona-unburial rites, and from this an idea was born. I started with UW tron, just adding in a few more creatures... then realized that this was explosive enough to be focused completely on creatures. I built a reanimator list, and top 4'd a 130+ plus event (In magic-league, so it half counts. All the decks are teir, all the players know wtf they're doing. Not quite as good as normal, but take it as you will).

I lost the original list. I'm an idiot, yes. I've reconstructed parts of it, here is what I have:

// Lands
1 [DDH] Swamp (2)
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
1 [GP] Godless Shrine
2 [RAV] Watery Grave
3 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
2 [B] Island (1)
1 [NPH] Plains (2)
1 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
1 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
3 [M12] Glacial Fortress
2 [M12] Drowned Catacomb
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest

// Creatures
2 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
1 [NPH] Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 [ARB] Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 [CFX] Inkwell Leviathan
1 [NPH] Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 [ALA] Empyrial Archangel

// Spells
1 [ARC] Path to Exile
2 [DDF] Thirst for Knowledge
4 [ISD] Unburial Rites
4 [V09] Gifts Ungiven
2 [TSB] Resurrection
1 [ARC] Zombify
2 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
4 [SOK] Ideas Unbound
3 [ARC] Azorius Signet
2 [RAV] Dimir Signet
3 [FNM] Remand
1 [DDF] Echoing Truth

Help tweaking would be AWESOME.

Things to tweak:

Card selection. I really REALLY like thirst and ideas- they're perfect for what I want. Draw lots, dump what I want to reanimate. Sure, it's not legacy standard, but it's basically draw 3, enable combo, for 2 mana. Awesome. Thirst is similar- draw 3, enable combo. Signets are almost required to help fix my mana and ramp- nothing like a turn 3 gifts turn 4 reanimate to see a look of dawning horror.

Crucible had interesting interactions with dumping lands and simply bringing them back again.

Echoing is for trouble, remand is to force stuff through. A lot of the things are there because at the time my primary testing partner was developing GR tron-breach, and the meta was aggro-filled. Snaps were because I was using my graveyard as a resource.

So my questions are:

1) Can you help me improve the manabase?
2) Can you help me improve the card selection?
3) Can you help me improve the targets? (Grislbrand anyone?)
4) The counterspells
5) Is there artifact ramp/fixing I'm missing?
6) Are there any utility lands I should be made aware of?
7) Is there better protection available? I'm considering the black hand disruption, can anyone give me the for and against?
8) What should I have in my sideboard to stall against graveyard hate (Since I can hard-cast almost anyone of my reanimate targets- which was something I looked for when I picked)
9) Is my selection of revival spells (The zombify/ressurection) correct, or is there something better? (Note: They are there to avoid extripates blowing me out)

Thanks all, and a note:

In testing and in actual matches, I beat RG tron more often than I lost. (It helped that I knew every single one of his 75)

Thanks!

EDIT: Found my old list! Tweaked a few things already (I had DISSIPATES in for some reason), here it is!

// NAME: UW Reanimator - Selkie

// Lands
2 [RAV] Watery Grave
1 [CS] Snow-Covered Plains
1 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress
1 [DIS] Breeding Pool
1 [AVR] Plains (1)
1 [SHM] Mystic Gate
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
2 [AVR] Island (1)
4 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
2 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
1 [CS] Snow-Covered Swamp

// Creatures
1 [ARB] Sphinx of the Steel Wind
3 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 [ALA] Empyrial Archangel
1 [NPH] Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

// Spells
2 [M12] Oblivion Ring
2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
4 [V09] Gifts Ungiven
3 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
1 [RAV] Compulsive Research
2 [DDF] Echoing Truth
1 [TSB] Resurrection
3 [ISD] Unburial Rites
4 [ARC] Azorius Signet
4 [SOK] Ideas Unbound
1 [CMD] Path to Exile
3 [RAV] Remand

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [RAV] Blazing Archon
SB: 1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 3 [M11] Leyline of the Void
SB: 1 [V11] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
SB: 2 [CMD] Ghostly Prison
SB: 3 [M12] Grand Abolisher

HokusSchmokus
05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Why use a Reanimator strategy in Modern without at least testing Goryo's Vengeance + Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Also, would Griselbrand a possible addition against control?

Jenni
07-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Hope this isn't too old a thread by now....

Why use a Reanimator strategy in Modern without at least testing Goryo's Vengeance + Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Also, would Griselbrand a possible addition against control?

Does Emrakul actually hit the graveyard? I didn't know that, wow that's quite an interaction then.

Anyway, I've been working on a list of my own.. One card I really like for reanimator in modern, since innistrad came out, is Cellar door.
It's not an entomb by any means, but combined with peer through depths given the scarcity of reanimation targets, it can almost gurentee that you both have a target in the graveyard and a reanimation spell in hand, plus it's a 2/2 body on the field as nice a side-effect. since I added this to my Esper Reanimator deck, the consistency has gone up a considerable amount. It slows it down a little, at times, but with the additional token generation, I'm not sitting on an empty field while I set up for a reanimate at least, and with these two cards, it prevents a lot of situations where I'm hopelessly digging through my deck for a target, reanimate spell, or both, while my opponent casual beats me to death.

Another interaction I really like is Goryo's Vengeance with sheoldred, whispering one so you goryos before your upkeep (I prefer on opponents end step, since it's exiled at the beggining of the end next end step) for sheoldred and before your legend dies, you get another creature back permanently, + get to swing for 6. swampwalk early on.
It essentially adds another reanimation spell to the deck, in certain situations, if you can find room for it.