PDA

View Full Version : RUg Delver

Phoenix Ignition
06-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Rug Delver made 2 of the top 8 spots at GP Turin (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gptur12/welcome#1) with the same lists. I took it out yesterday and did very well with it. Let's give it the attention it deserves.

Rug Delver also gets 2nd at GP Columbus (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpcol12/welcome#0) with a very similar list.

Main Deck
60 cards

2 Breeding Pool
1 Forest
6 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
21 lands

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Vendilion Clique

2 Thought Scour
1 Vapor Snag
2 Cryptic Command
2 Deprive
1 Electrolyze
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Mana Leak
4 Serum Visions
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare
2 Vedalken Shackles

Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Blood Moon
1 Combust
3 Huntmaster of the Fells
1 Negate
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Spell Pierce
2 Threads of Disloyalty

A few comments I have are that I'm not sure Threads are necessary in the sideboard, I would have liked +1 Ancient Grudge and +1 Blood Moon.

Main deck I think Electrolyze might be better off as Forked Bolt and possibly a change another Burst Lightning to forked bolt. I'd also like to fit Huntmasters main, but don't know what I'd take out for that.

Enric
07-20-2012, 03:30 AM
I've recorded a Daily Event of this deck on MTGO:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC193EAAE917C528

Phoenix Ignition
07-22-2012, 09:00 PM
This deck just got second at GP Columbus (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpcol12/welcome#0) with very few maindeck changes. Almost the exact same sideboard as well.

If only there was more interest in Modern on these forums, this deck is really damn good!

Kich867
07-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Gerard Fabiano's RUG list was inspiring. I watched a lot of the GP Columbus and was seriously hooked; if there was interest in it I would play the -shit- out of modern at my local store.

wcm8
02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm curious where people are with the deck at the moment. I'm thinking that the deck could make good use of Izzet Charm as a utility card. And does anyone have suggestions for this deck against midrange decks that are popular right now? Not sure what the best options in RUG's toolbox are.

Phoenix Ignition
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
I think Snapcaster is significantly worse due to the increase of Deathrite Shamans. Granted you have a lot of ways to take out DRS in this deck, but if they do end up landing one you don't want to be stuck with the full set of Snapcasters. I would probably run 2-3 whereas before 4 was pretty awesome. Vedalken Shackles is amazing, but a lot of decks are running Abrupt Decays so I might switch those out as well.

For the same reason, Tarmogoyf might not be as great here. I really don't think he should be removed, because landing and protecting an early threat is the best way to win, but it's something to think about.

With the open slots I'd probably run Huntmasters main, that card is really good against Midrange decks and can win games on its own.

The main problem with this deck when I was running it in tournaments was the inability to deal with Geist of Saint Trafts after they landed, which there isn't any great way to deal with. Phantasmal Image or Firespouts, perhaps, but I would think over that as well.

wcm8
02-19-2013, 10:14 PM
I was considering doing a 2/2 split or just straight-up 4 Grim Lavamancers instead of the Snapcasters. They are a bit better against Deathrite Shaman, and can help provide reach if the board gets clogged. They still suffer from graveyard hate, but not nearly as badly.

CaptainTwiddle
02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
With the open slots I'd probably run Huntmasters main, that card is really good against Midrange decks and can win games on its own.

I feel like running Huntmasters would necessitate the inclusion of a few more lands.

I like the idea of the deck just fine, but Delver just seems so much weaker (read "fair") without the top-of-library manipulation available in other formats. I think that can be mitigated by running a high number of instant and sorcery cards, but if you need to add 1-3 lands to the deck to facilitate Huntmaster, I think it makes Delver a lot weaker.

Phoenix Ignition
02-20-2013, 01:19 AM
I feel like running Huntmasters would necessitate the inclusion of a few more lands.

I like the idea of the deck just fine, but Delver just seems so much weaker (read "fair") without the top-of-library manipulation available in other formats. I think that can be mitigated by running a high number of instant and sorcery cards, but if you need to add 1-3 lands to the deck to facilitate Huntmaster, I think it makes Delver a lot weaker.

The deck plays a lot of cantrips (6) and Cryptics already cost 4. I could see adding 1 more land if you're playing in a very large tournament, but generally this deck already facilitated high-cost cards very well (Vedalken Shackles is seldom useful with 3 or fewer lands).