PDA

View Full Version : [DECK]Tooth and Nail

Mr. Safety
07-14-2012, 02:44 PM
A friend asked me to get involved in modern (again) and I was quite hesitant but I took it as a challenge. My exprience with modern was mostly during its beginning; no activity in the past months. I did a little research and I found that almost nobody was using Tooth and Nail. This surprised me considering the ability to play Tooth and just win.

I toyed with Fauna Shaman/Vengevine for a little while to give a backup plan for when I don't draw Tooth. It made for bad aggro deck and semi-reliable combo deck. Back to the drawing board to focus much more on drawing extra cards and getting redundant effects. I ended up with some surprising card choices and a mono-green setup (well, mostly mono-green) that has been performing well against online opponents. Expedition Map was an obvious choice but I didn't think Explore would be so good. Abundant Growth pulls the deck together and fill the colorless mana void that often happens. The fact that it is a basic cantrip for :g: helped convince me it was good enough to include. I really needed more than 4 Birds of Paradise to fix for red anyways, this seemed decent and has been working out great.

4x Birds of Paradise
3x Llanowar Elves
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Progenitus
2x Bogardan Hellkite
1x Blazing Archon
1x Urabrask the Hidden

4x Tooth and Nail
2x Quicksilver Amulet
4x Abundant Growth
4x Explore
4x Expedition Map
3x Karn Liberated
3x Firespout

4x Urza's Tower
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Verdant Catacombs
2x Stomping Ground
4x Forest

So far in playtesting I've done well against W/b tokens, jund, affinity, merfolk, U/W Tron, and martyr.dec. I haven't faced Boros, RDW/burn, Storm, or Splinter Twin yet. I feel that these unknown quantities may be the undoing of the deck. They are all aggro or combo decks that are reliably faster than this one. Boros and RDW can win outside combat, possibly making Kitchen Finks or Leyline of Sanctity options for the sideboard.

It performs as expected: favored against aggro decks including tokens, decent against other ramp-style decks, and may be fast enough to count against combo. The sideboard is under construction with options such as Mindbreak Trap, Engineered Explosives, Everlasting Torment, Vexing Shusher, Leyline of Sanctity, Kitchen Finks, and Ancient Grudge.

This primer is in the works and I welcome anybody who is still actively involved in modern to pipe in and give me some advice on card choices and matchups.

S1N1STER
07-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I am not really into modern, the last time I played it was at a PTQ back in March, but the deck I played was a tooth and nail deck which went 7-1-0 in the Swiss portion of the event making top 8. In addition to the tooth and nails I ran 4x through the breach which won me several games. Really enjoyed the deck as it could either mana ramp into emrakul or tooth and nail with the help from tron lands, or wall of roots/overgrown battlements, and primeval titan or just drop a hasted emrakul on turn 4 with a through the breach.

Mr. Safety
07-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Through the Breach may be better than Quicksilver Amulet...but with Amulet, the creatures stick. I'm not done testing Amulet yet.

Were you playing Karn at all? How many?

Also, is there a primer for Tooth and Nail on The Source somewhere I could check out?