PDA

View Full Version : [DEVL][DECK] Modern Dredge

LeePerry
07-22-2012, 01:27 PM
I didn't go through the entire forum, but as far as I looked I didn't see a Modern Dredge. So I'm making this a new post, I'm sorry if there's already a thread for Modern Dredge.

I was tinkering today with several new ideas for decks when I found out on gatherer that bridge from below wasn't banned in Modern. I rarely play it, and usually if I do I borrow a deck from someone else, so I tried to put together a list. At this point I still haven't sleeved it up. (still have to look for some of the cards) But I'm excited to try this out.

So without much further ado here's the list (with sb)

4 Bridge from Below
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Faithless Looting
3 Burning Inquiry
4 Greater Gargadon
4 Gravecrawler
4 Golgari Thug
3 Extractor Demon
4 Narcomoeba
4 Fulminator Mage

4 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Blood Crypt
2 Dakmor Salvage
1 Graven Cairns
1 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Cascade Bluffs
2 Mountain
2 Steam Vents
1 Watery Grave
4 Scalding Tarn

sb:

4 Ingot Chewer
2 Plunge into Darkness
1 Blood Moon
2 Blood Artist
4 Dismember
2 Torpor Orb

I suspect this deck will play out completely different then from the Legacy/Vintage Dredge decks, since there is no such thing as Dread Return, although I have been playing around with the idea of Life // Death and something like Flayer of the Hatebound or Griselbrand

Here's a list of the first cards I'll be considering to include in the deck, after I've played some games with it as it is now, let me hear your thoughts and if you've got the cards, don't be afraid to sleeve them up and let me know how this rough draft performed, since it might take some time to get all the cards together.

Geralf's Messenger
Life // Death
Nether Traitor
Offalsnout
Shriekmaw
Diregraf Captain
Reassembling Skeleton
Rotting Rats
Scarland Thrinax
Street Wraith
Viscera Seer
Zombie Infestation
Darkblast
Altar's Reap
Bloodflow Connoisseur
Corpse Traders
Crypt Creeper
Demon of Death's Gate
Demonic Taskmaster
Disciple of Bolas
Flayer of the Hatebound
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
Killing Wave
Lightning Serpent
Mournwhelk
Nezumi Bone-Reader
Nim Devourer

Brushwagg
07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Life // Death is not modern legal.

I looked at doing something like with DredgeVine, but I really don't see it going any where. The problems are Dread Return is banned and the lack of a Cabal Therapy like card to activate the Bridges. Doesn't seem like alot but it's enough to keep it from beeing viable in this format and I don't think that was done by chance.

I'm not sure what your plan is with the deck? Dredge stuff in the the yard then what?? Unless I'm missing something you have zero reanimate effects. The deck I was toying with was hard enough to get going with Vengevines. The lack of cheap reanimate spells sucks.

LeePerry
07-22-2012, 05:27 PM
oops, completely missed the life // death not being Modern Legal

The plan with this deck is not to reanimate a huge threat or a lock piece, but to swarm the opponent with zombie beats (through bridge from below triggers. If you can set up a few turns then you can generate a reasonable amount of zombies. Combined with the Extractor Demon and Greater Gargadon, this just makes for an old fashioned beaters/swarm approach.

If I find that I really want to add reanimation, I can always look to splash white (and then maybe drop the blue to remain consistent) and play with Unburial Rites

I also thought about just dropping the Narcomoeba's entirely and putting Blood Artists main to go with the sacrifice stuff/beatdown theme.

Brushwagg
07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Well if you want to go that route then you need to speed the deck up alot. All the hate that Dredge faces in Legacy is in Modern. I really don't follow the format too close, but I think it's played. Not to mention U/R storm is going to kill you before you can get anything going. I would get some sort of disruption into the deck before anything else. I would also get some better sac out lets.

Top of my head list. B/R/g

Outlets:
4x Faithless Looting
3x Burning Inquiry
2x Phantasmagorian
2x Zombie Infestation

Dredgers:
4x Stinkweed Imp
4x Golgari Thug
1x Shambling Shell
1x Life from the Loam

Rest:
4x Bridge from Below
4x Gravecrawler
4x Bloodghast
4x Viscera Seer
3x Greater Gargadon
4x Narcomoeba

3x Dakmor Salvage
4x City of Brass
4x Gemstone Mine
Not sure on the other lands.

Kich867
07-30-2012, 02:51 AM
This is my current dredge list in modern, so far I've goldfished about 40 hands with it, this isn't exact, but it's fairly accurate:

Turn 2 win: 1
Turn 3 win: 6
Turn 4 win: almost all of them
Turn 5+: very few, mostly just mulliganing over and over.

List:
4x Bridge from Below
3x Dread Return
1x Flame-Kin Zealot
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Craterhoof Behemoth
4x Narcomoeba
4x Bloodghast

4x Faithless Looting
4x Burning Inquiry
4x Ideas Unbound
2x Dangerous Wager

4x Darkblast
4x Golgari Thug
4x Stinkweed Imp

2x Dakmor Salvage
4x Gemstone Mine
4x City of Brass
1x Vivid Crag
1x Vivid Creek
4x Forbidden Orchard

Ideas unbound is absolutely ridiculous. My only turn two win so far was T1: Faithless Looting, ditching Thug and Bridge, T2: Dredge thug, hit an imp, Ideas Unbound the imp into 2 more imps finding a bridge and 3 narcomoeba's, dread return on flame-kin zealot and swing for 21. I considered Iona + some critical # of tokens on turn 3 to be a turn 3 win. I'm still making changes to it, Dakmor Salvage at 3 doesn't feel right, adding a blue vivid land.

Phoenix Ignition
07-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Sorry but Dread Return is banned in Modern. Back to the drawing boards.

jjjoness'
07-30-2012, 03:11 AM
You do realize Dread Return is not legal in Modern?

Edit. Ninja'ed. Damn those sneaky bastards.

Edit2: Also Forbidden Orchard is juts a terrible card in Dredge. Give your opponent blockers to remove your bridges? Hell, no!

Kich867
07-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Sorry but Dread Return is banned in Modern. Back to the drawing boards.

Oh damn, that's very strange. I searched in Gatherer for Modern legal cards that have Flashback sacrifice creature as rules text and it came up, sorry about that, assumed it was legal from that.

Kich867
07-30-2012, 03:28 AM
You do realize Dread Return is not legal in Modern?

Edit. Ninja'ed. Damn those sneaky bastards.

Edit2: Also Forbidden Orchard is juts a terrible card in Dredge. Give your opponent blockers to remove your bridges? Hell, no!

Ah I see, more apologies, I was under the impression "Non-token" was for both sides, it apparently isn't.

Brushwagg
07-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh damn, that's very strange. I searched in Gatherer for Modern legal cards that have Flashback sacrifice creature as rules text and it came up, sorry about that, assumed it was legal from that.

I think anyone looking to play this deck in modern would like it so we don't have to use the crappy sac outlets. I think the best we are going to get is Seer and Gargadon for now.

rxavage
07-30-2012, 03:49 PM
The Quadlazer build in legacy doesn't utilize dread return, there should be a list that is workable for modern. A good sac outlet is going to be key for generating zombies, Fatestitcher, Bloodghast, and Gravecrawler will have to suffice as replacements for Ichorid. Modern dredge is going to be more mana intesive too which poses a few issues but I think a decent build can be found.

No_Life_No_Future
07-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Some cards that come to mind are:
Lingering souls
Mulch<---probably too slow?
Dream Twist
Desperate Ravings
Hedron Crab
Dreadscrape Zombie (works with grave crawler)
Darkblast
Gnaw to the bone

Edit:
Has anyone tried Chandra's Phoenix?
You could run a bit of burn and Conflagrate.

Anyone try wild guess? Uncouterable way to drop a dredger.