PDA

View Full Version : First piece of power

Pages : [1] 2

Koby
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
What was your first piece of power, if you already own it?
What would be your first piece, if you don't already own?

My first power was a Mox Sapphire that I won through a Legacy tournament at Comic Odyssey in Pasadena, CA. I got to the finals with an old Bant list (with only 1 GSZ, oh myyyy) back in March of 2011, and offered the buyout to my friend Harduvel. From there, I got the "bug" and started on a buying spree that finished in GP Anaheim at the end of May 2012. Now I'm fully powered, and mostly broke. :tongue:

lordofthepit
08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
My first pieces of power were a beat-as-hell Library of Alexandria (it was Power then!) and a creased Alpha Time Walk that I got in 2000 when I was a freshman in high school, which I bought from my friend for $20 and $45 each. No one played with those cards, and he had no interest in selling it on eBay; I didn't have any use for it.

Now that I think of it, I bought a Time Vault from that same friend about a year before that when we were in middle school. But that card was useless then, so I think I sold it pretty quickly (probably back to him again). I wanted more Cursed Scrolls at the time!

Anyway, I traded the LoA and the Time Walk to a store for $180 and 4 Tropical Islands in 2006. I had quit the game and hadn't played for several years, but I knew if I ever were to play again, it would be Legacy. I still didn't want to touch eBay and I figured I'd never use those cards, so I didn't mind losing value on the trade. Probably in my favor now.

I ended up buying an Unlimited Mox Ruby (probably VG) for $225 in 2009, but I ended up flipping that for a bunch of smaller Legacy staples after realizing I wouldn't buy it. It had someone's initials written on it in regular red ink. Eww.

No power right now. Probably not for a while.

Arianrhod
08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I got my first piece of power a bit under a year ago from a friend of mine that sometimes deals in magic. I'd purchased a mint UL Time Vault at GP Providence with trade credit, and wanted to actually break into the Power Club officially, as opposed to with the "10th." So I gave him a whole big pile of bulk and a few legacy staples, and told him to get me things. He found me a miscut UL Jet, and made up the rest of it in some pimp for legacy. I wasn't sure what to think of the Jet at first since it isn't centered, but it's actually grown on me now to the point where when I see it, I'm sad that it isn't miscut more =D such is life I guess. I recently picked up a minty Library, but again, that's vying for the "10th" slot, so for now, the Jet is all I've got. For now....

socialite
08-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Timetwister dropped pretty hard a few years ago. I was able to pick up a pristine one for 180.00 after shipping. From there it went Pearl > Ruby > Sapphire > Ancestral > Lotus > Time Walk. Still need Emerald and Jet. :(

Klazam
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
My first and only piece of power is a unlimited Black Lotus.

A birthday gift for my 18th birthday. Its currently framed, haha.

Esper3k
08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
The very first piece(s) of power I got were a pair of UNL Timetwisters I traded off of a friend when I first got started playing MTG (end of UNL, beginning of Revised).

One of my very early games, I lost through getting milled out by a Millstone and so I wanted to keep looping Timetwisters to keep that from happening!

Traded a Revised Shivan Dragon and Revised Demonic Hordes for the pair of them. I kept them for quite a few years, but ended up trading them off awhile back.

TheElvishPiper
08-03-2012, 04:49 PM
My first pice of power was a Time Walk. It was a Christmas gift from my parents. :)

soltakar
08-03-2012, 05:12 PM
My first piece of power was an UNL Time Walk opened in my very first starter deck (which also contained a USea and Sol Ring).

I was swindled out of the Time Walk by a "friend" right before Revised was released.

The only other power I have owned are a couple of Time Twisters and a Library, that I traded away or sold a long time ago. I don't currently own any power, but since I started playing magic again about a year ago I have got into Legacy and am now looking at getting into Vintage.

rxavage
08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should acquire power first or just go with Bazaars and try and win power however unlikely. I'm pretty sure my wife would not be happy with me buying a set of P9 outright, she's been great about me buying into legacy, and the BoBs will be the least expensive way to a legal deck.

Julian23
08-03-2012, 06:12 PM
[...] the BoBs will be the least expensive way to a legal deck.

As opposed to the least legal way to get an expensive deck...

Sorry, couldn't resist pulling that :wink:

I myself don't own any power. People left and right of me got so much power, I usually borrow right about anything. Last Vintage tournament I went to, I somehow couldn't get hold of a Time Vault but some guy whom I had never met before was very willing for me to borrow his one. Great guy :-)

aahz
08-03-2012, 07:31 PM
My first piece was an unlimited Ancestral Recall. I traded for it back in '95 or '96 (Old Man of the Sea, Diamond Valley, revised Vesuvan Doppleganger), so it has a lot of sentimental value. That was my only power (other than Library of Alexandria when that was still considered the 10th piece of power) until around 2002-3, when I picked up an alpha Time Walk, then Sapphire, Jet, and Ruby (all alpha). I quit playing when the card face changed at 8th Edition/Mirrodin and didn't start again until Zendikar. Over the course of the next couple of years, I got an unlimited Black Lotus and finally finished the alpha Moxes. The last piece was an unlimited Timetwister about a year ago. I also acquired a signed unlimited Time Vault for about $30 back in 2003, which I guess counts as power now.

Leftconsin
08-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Unlimited Recall I bought off eBay in '08 I think. I still have it. I slowly put a 20 here and a 10 there into paypal and when it was enough to get a piece of power I pulled the trigger. I remember when I got it in the mail I took a loupe to it and just ran it over for like 5 minutes to see if it was fake. First time I played it was in a 3 player game with my high school friends that I still kept in touch with and the reaction was "I'm really not surprised you went and bought a piece of power."

I just want to say of my P9, Recall, Ruby, and part of the Lotus are the only ones I paid cash for. The others were credit for judging and trade. My Lotus was 200 cash and a few events of judging.

Basaka
08-04-2012, 04:02 AM
First piece (I actually got): Mox Emerald, traded in at LGS about... 2 months ago?
However, First piece I traded for was a Mox Jet traded from MOTL.

Currently have 7 pieces (-mox ruby) + time vault.

yankeedave
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I won my first piece of power in about 2004, when I entered an online quiz to will £200 store credit with a UK store. The question was " What is the most printed non-land card in Magic?" Answers on a postcard please...

I bought a Mox Emerald with the winnings and immediately sold it for a profit. Later that year, I bought a Pearl, Sapphire, and Timewalk with some money I came into, and then had to sell them when I had spent the rest of my money and needed to make rent.

In 2007, I started collecting Eternal staples seriously and started buying power. Again, I started with an Emerald, then a Pearl, Ruby, Ancestral, Timetwister, trade up Twister for Sapphire, then Jet, Beta Time Walk, and then my wife bought me an Unltd Lotus for my 35th birthday (best wife ever!!!!!) and then traded my Time Walk for an Unltd Time Walk, Timetwister, and 50 euros. Somewhere in amongst all that, I also pick up my Drains, Library and Time Vault.

It felt so good to turn up to BOM V with my Vintage deck complete and ready to rock!

ELD
08-06-2012, 04:00 PM
So what was the answer to the quiz? Was it Stone Rain? I bet it was Stone Rain.

My first piece of power was from playing Poker. I won a bunch of Standard cards playing 3 handed Hold'em. The guy showed up the next day, saying he needed his cards back. I didn't understand what he meant, and then he put a binder full of Vintage goodness on the table and asked to trade. I gave him back his pile of Birds, Wraths, Uzra's Rages etc... for a Mox Emerald and a Calzone. I had him throw in the Calzone because I knew I'd be telling the story for decades, and wanted the story to have some pizazz to it.

yankeedave
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Give that man another Calzone!

sdematt
08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
My NM- Beta Recall I bought 2ish years ago for 3 Bazaars and a set of Dark Confidants.

-Matt

Koby
08-06-2012, 08:19 PM

My first piece of power was from playing Poker. I won a bunch of Standard cards playing 3 handed Hold'em. The guy showed up the next day, saying he needed his cards back. I didn't understand what he meant, and then he put a binder full of Vintage goodness on the table and asked to trade. I gave him back his pile of Birds, Wraths, Uzra's Rages etc... for a Mox Emerald and a Calzone. I had him throw in the Calzone because I knew I'd be telling the story for decades, and wanted the story to have some pizazz to it.

This is exactly what this thread is about :D

aahz
08-06-2012, 09:35 PM
This is exactly what this thread is about :D
The question now is whether or not we need our own Vintage only pimp thread separate from the one containing "Legacy Decks". :really:

The devil on my left shoulder tells me that we need it, but the devil on my right shoulder thinks it's better to shame the non-Vintage pimps in their own thread. (full disclosure: my definition of pimp is different than yours. Also, foils don't belong next to power.)

infant_no_1
08-07-2012, 03:40 PM
MY first, first piece was either a Lotus or Walk back in '94. Then my ex-wife happened and my wonderful collection was lost to the past.

Currently my first piece was a Sapphire, during Caw-Blade's reign. I traded 4 Force of Will & 3 Jace TMS for it.

At GP Austin I traded my judge comp & gutted my binder for an Emerald, Pearl, and Time Vault.

This past Saturday at a PTQ I picked up a beat to hell Ruby by using the combined judge comp from 2 of my fellow judges.

I hope to be on staff for GP San Antonio so that I can try to get another piece or 2.

csy
08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I got my first piece of power at a Modern PTQ out here los angeles. After scrubbing out I realized that I, in fact, hated the format and wanted nothing to do with a format without broken stuff. Stack of modern staples later I took home a mox emerald and a time twister.

4eak
08-08-2012, 04:01 AM
A beatup Mox Pearl that was just randomly laying around in a gigantic collection (boxes of cards) I bought from a friend for $50 on my birthday.

peace,
4eak

Final Ritual
08-08-2012, 10:50 PM
My first piece of power I ever owned was my gf buying me a mox ruby for valentines day. However, it took me awhile to get my set of jewelry.

BWM
08-09-2012, 03:19 AM
In order:

Spring 2003-Spring 2004
Bought a Recall
Bought an Emerald
Bought a Time Walk
Bought a Ruby
Bought a Library
Sold the Emerald
Bought a Pearl

Autumn 2006
Bought a Recall*
Bought a Time Walk
Bought a Library
Traded a Recall for two Workshops
Traded a Library for a Twister**

Autumn 2007
Sold a Workshop
Got an Emerald as a present

Autumn 2009
Acquired a Time Vault
Traded a Jet from Alpha
Traded a Sapphire
Traded a Jet from Alpha for a Jet from Unlimited + Money

Last two months
Sold a Pearl; Sapphire; Jet; Ruby; Recall; Time Walk; Timetwister; Time Vault (this was about a month ago)
Traded a CE Recall for cube
Traded a CE Twister for cube

So currently there's left:
Mox Emerald (present)
Workshop & Library (Cube)

Silly thing is, I never played powered in a vintage tournament

*yes, I had two Recalls at that time. I wanted to sell or trade one of them, but didn't have a scanner, so I left it at my girlfriend's, where her D&D-group found it and responded with "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS THING IS WORTH!!1!

** This was through the internet and is the only power I acquired that wasn't made real-live. Sold some online though. The twister was sent to me in an envelope next to one of those free boomerang-postcards, I still own the postcard, because it was some sort of advertisement for donating-money-to-africa and it said "This card can give a village in Sudan food for a week".

Nelis
08-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Back in '94/'95 I had an unlimited Mox Pearl (from my first starter) that none of my cousins wanted to trade because who in his right mind plays white. I eventually refused an offer of 50 guilders from some guy and decided to traded it with someone else for crap worth even less. I'm still angry at the guy I traded it with because he told me 50 guilders was too cheap and then decided to screw me hard. It was my first and last piece of P9.

dahcmai
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Mine's a great story.

I bought a Time Walk for $60. It was an Unlimited, beat to crap, bent on one corner, scuffed, and generally awful looking one. I think it was around Visions or so when I got it.

Eventually, I picked up a beta and sold that old Time Walk for $100. The guy I sold it to traded it off and the new owner needed money and came to me to sell it back. I bought it again.

I traded it once more to someone for something and it went out to the world once again. Now here's the funny part. Lather, rinse, Repeat this 11 times. I owned that poor Time Walk 11 times in all.

Eventually, it got sold on Ebay and I didn't see it again. Somehow it came back to our town and found it's way into my hands once again. After that trip it got dubbed "The Chadwalk" after my name. It's pretty easy to recognize it so I know it was the one and the same. I sold it once more and didn't see it again for around 4 years until an old player who hadn't played in a long time sold his collection to me. And there it was again.

Now that Time Walk sits in my collection permanently. I made a really good color copy of it for a proxy and sent that one out to my friends to pass around. It's funny since that proxy found it's way back to me 3 times now. Truly amazing really.

Picc
08-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Back in the 90s I opened a jet saph and pearl then got fleeced the first time I opened my binder at a game store (artifact cop for all 3) but meh I was 12

Bought a lotus a few weeks later when I realized how good fast mana was. My mom then found out I'd spent like 50 dollars on a card, decided it was valuable and made me put it in her jewelry box for safe keeping. Years later It just disappeared. I think my dad swiped/sold it when my folks broke up

In the adult ear of my life I have come to own a walk I bought myself with store credit, a lotus I traded for after 2 years of pack to powering, a twister I got with the money I made altering cards, and a drain & Loa I bought when I was feeling low.

If I had it to do over I might start with a white mox so I could do that we null rod deck with a little more gusto

bruizar
08-15-2012, 09:17 AM
First was ancestral recall

Then time walk,

Then ruby,

Then lotus pearl emerald in one go

Then twister

Already had all the other vintage staples (bazaars, shops, drains, loa, beta time vault, regular time vault).

Traded all of my power for a sick amount of revised duals. Had around 120 duals at the time. Traded a bunch of duals away for legacy foils. Now I am at a point where I own nearly every playable foil x4 and I can play the most fringe decks in legacy that no one would ever invest in because the high value cards are only good in 1 or 2 decks. (think spiral tide/12-post/life/cephalidbreakfast/mud, etc). All of those fringe decks are nearly entirely foiled out, and I can still play with the top tier decks too. The most impressive cards I own are artifacts. I'll post a photo of my artifact collection soon (missing power, but I don't want unlimited power if I acquire power now. Alpha or beta only for me).

The only thing I'm searching for right now are avacyn restored foils, some foil fetch and some more portal 3 kingdoms cards. Missed the boat on beta duals unfortunately.

The Pharmacist
08-16-2012, 04:23 PM
My first piece of power was a unlimited Mox Jet. I traded for it back in 1993 and gave up 3 Shivan Dragons. At the time this was a fair deal.

rockout
08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I bought a collection in 2005 of duals, forces, fetches, unlimited mox sapphire, unlimited ancestral recall? maybe and a playset of mana drains. I proceeded to sell the power to pay rent unfortunately a few years later and got most of the money back from the collection leaving me with a ton of legacy playables so I decided I would get into legacy. I miss owning those cards. I never got a chance to play with them.

Dark Ritual
08-17-2012, 04:14 PM
If it's still power even I picked up a library of alexandria last year or something for under 150 although it isn't NM I absolutely love library even though it isn't really power anymore.

If I was to pick up a piece of power 9 the first would be mox jet or timetwister for EDH. Mox jet is because I love the art and whenever I play vintage I always play tendrils based combo so mox jet is an auto include. And I'm not a high roller so it would be unlimited sadly and not alpha or beta.

EDIT: I thought shivan dragon was the biggest money card back then Pharmacist? Because it was literally the biggest creature back then and untapping with it was incredible. And I thought people were trading up to get shivan dragon's in pretty much every trade because the card was so coveted. Although I may be wrong on this. I mean I thought back then that you could trade a shivan dragon for, well, anything you wanted pretty much. Practically everyone back then was casual too, so that definitely helped the shivan dragon's cause as they view moxen as basic lands and they view shivan dragon as gigantic fatty of doom that will kill the opponent in two turns.

dontbiteitholmes
08-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Won a Recall at Gnome Games last year.

bruizar
08-21-2012, 04:45 AM
If it's still power even I picked up a library of alexandria last year or something for under 150 although it isn't NM I absolutely love library even though it isn't really power anymore.

If I was to pick up a piece of power 9 the first would be mox jet or timetwister for EDH. Mox jet is because I love the art and whenever I play vintage I always play tendrils based combo so mox jet is an auto include. And I'm not a high roller so it would be unlimited sadly and not alpha or beta.

EDIT: I thought shivan dragon was the biggest money card back then Pharmacist? Because it was literally the biggest creature back then and untapping with it was incredible. And I thought people were trading up to get shivan dragon's in pretty much every trade because the card was so coveted. Although I may be wrong on this. I mean I thought back then that you could trade a shivan dragon for, well, anything you wanted pretty much. Practically everyone back then was casual too, so that definitely helped the shivan dragon's cause as they view moxen as basic lands and they view shivan dragon as gigantic fatty of doom that will kill the opponent in two turns.

Mahamoti Djinn was also a top contender back in the days. One of the few creatures that could kill a Shivan Dragon. Clone / Vesuvan Doppelganger were popular too. I remember getting 4 Volcanic Islands for a Mahamoti Djinn during the days of the revised edition. That was pretty fair back then.

jandax
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
In my first Magic card purchase ever, a starter of Unlimited in fall of '94, I pulled a Mox Pearl. My neighbor friend who got me started sort of flipped out and I sold him the card for $50. I was in middle school and got the starter at the time for $35 so obv it was a good deal by selling one of my cards for more than what I paid for in the original purchase

:rolleyes:

xfxf
09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
My dad bought me my first Magic cards in 1996 with this box:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities/box-introductory-two-player-set-english.jpg

But it was not until 1998 I actually started playing Magic when I met other kids in the school who had or heard of Magic cards. By then I was already too late to the party. A piece of Unlimited Black Lotus was already $300 and as a 14 year-old, accessing the P9 was just not possible with every meaning of the word. Considering there was not a big Magic scene in my country and the only people who had these cards were at least 20 something year-old guys with deep experience in fantasy related hobbies it was also not imaginable to trade for these cards away from them. And even if I somehow did, who'd have the cards to play with me? So obviously I never got a chance to acquire pieces of power or get involved with Vintage but I kept a shy eye towards the decklists every now and then.

But being a grown-up has its advantages. After a couple of "how to/should I get into Vintage" threads and a "who here wants a Vintage subforum" poll later (also multiple glances at the pimp decks thread and altered ponies) this forum gave me the push I needed to finally pull the trigger on a piece of power. So this year for my birthday I got myself this :smile::

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9541/ancestral2q.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/ancestral2q.jpg/)

So let's see where it goes from here :smile:

JUNI0R
09-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Back in the 90s I managed to trade for an unlimited emerald, but sold it when I sold out and got rid of my collection. Recently, I've begun playing vintage and have started collecting power. This time around my first was pearl followed by sapphire, recall, lotus.

RJM
09-06-2012, 01:15 AM
I actually found an Unlimited Timetwister in the nickel card box at the old comic shop circa 1998-99 in high school. Yes, I bought it along with a stack of garbage for approximately $3.00 total. And yes, I did feel at least a little guilty... But hey, not my fault it was lazily left in there.

About 6 months later, I was actually hired at that same shop. Primarily to take charge of the shop's MTG sales, ironically. And I found probably $500 worth of Tempest and Urza block valuables in the same boxes of unsorted junk. I guess there's a reason they needed someone!

I actually don't even know what became of the Timetwister. It probably got lost when I sold my entire collection (regret!) in 2002...

Jenni
10-06-2012, 06:46 AM
I don't own any power at the moment. I had a chance a while back (kamigawa block I think) to get my hands on a pair of moxen (Ruby and Emerald, iirc) but at the time I had no interest in vintage, and was taking a break from mtg in general.

I've currently got my "Lotus fund" in a jar right now, though, I'm planing to buy into vintage slowly and it seems the best place to start would be a lotus, since it's the most expensive single card and it goes in every deck anyway.
Meanwhile I'm picking some unpowered broken things as well, while I add quarters ones and fives to the lotus fund's jar (Up to about 300$ so far :D )

Bardo
10-10-2012, 12:14 AM
My first and only piece of power is a UL Timetwister I got in 1995 with a bunch trade-bait, an Illusionary Mask and Berserk being all thing I remember trading away. From that, I had a U/g/w deck that tried to win by recurring Psionic Blasts... Yeah.

alekill
10-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Not really power but I just traded about 25 shocklands for a NM bazzar. :D

ReinVos
10-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Got my power all at once in 2009. They were actually the first 9 cards to my new collection since I quit Magic a few years ago at that point. I decided to play vintage exclusively. The first tournament I played in since buying power was a 10-proxy vintage tournament. My power was covered but I had to proxy cards like Gemstone Mine, Ponder and Vampiric Tutor (Grim Long)! Since my power is all Beta in very nice condition my deck just looked wrong. Imagine playing a Beta Black Lotus, crack it for three blue, cast a Beta Ancestral Recall then follow up with a Ponder proxy... It was just silly.

Now I'm playing legacy exclusively because it's my favorite format by far. I'm going to hold on to my power though.

The mythical power 9 has always fascinated me. When some French guy beat me up with a full-powered, all black bordered storm deck I was in complete awe. At that time I didn't know there was such a thing as formats. I even had a Fastbond in my deck so I was playing vintage too! From that moment on, I knew I had to own power at some point. And they had to be black bordered, just like this guy had. It was amazing. I wish I could tell the guy I followed in his footsteps and got my very own pimped vintage storm deck.

bowvamp
10-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Right when I started I traded Clockwork Dragon for a Necropotence, a Time Walk, and a Yawgmoth's Will.
Granted, the guy actually was knowleadgeable and just traded them to me for a day so I could learn their power. He then explained their worth and we traded back.

inked
10-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Last year I moved to California and the local shop doesn't really play Legacy or Standard, which is what I played in Virginia the last couple years. They play EDH and draft, so I have been feeling like I was losing money on owning Standard cards as their price often fluctuates and then bombs towards rotation. Legacy and EDH are my favorite formats, so I decided to go to Grand Prix San Jose this weekend. I traded a few standard cards and a couple Legacy staples that don't fit my current deck for a Mox Sapphire. I was ecstatic because it was a card I have wanted since I was 8 years old.

I ended up winning the Legacy side event, which the prize was a box of Return to Ravnica and free admission into the other side events for the weekend.

I went home and grabbed all my standard rares and random foils, cracked the Return to Ravnica box and headed back to San Jose Saturday. I traded them all in, and got a few hundred dollars in cash along with 4 Mana Drain, 4 Force of Will, a Library of Alexandria, 4x Tropical Island, a Scrubland, a Time Vault, and some pimped out EDH cards. (not bad for $20 for the event I won, some trades of cards I never use, and gas money!)

I am so incredibly happy to be on my way to access Vintage. I love Legacy and typically play either Lands (which I sold :(), or Death and Taxes. Now I am constructing a blue control deck for vintage, a monoblack EDH (Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed), and my white Death and Taxes. This is where I want to be as a magic player, and I haven't been so happy regarding magic possibly ever. I am so excited to begin constructing the decks. :)

thulnanth
11-04-2012, 05:26 AM
My first piece of power was a unlimited Mox Jet. I traded for it back in 1993 and gave up 3 Shivan Dragons. At the time this was a fair deal.

Are you sure about the timing of this? Even at the very end of '93 when Arabian Nights came out I don't know of anyone who would have traded a Shivan for a Mox jet, let alone 3 Shivans. We were all pretty Timmy back then... big creatures were where it was at. :tongue:

A trade like this would have made more sense in mid-late '94, after Revised came out.

Take it easy,
Jared

PS - I was one of the lucky suckers opening packs in '93, so I have no idea what my first piece of power was. I do know I pulled all 5 Moxes, several Twisters, and quite a few Ancestrals... but no Time Walks or Lotuses :frown:

Dan Turner
11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
My first piece of power was in 93 or 94 I paid $30 for a mox jet. 94 I got a lotus for $75 for my birthday it was march of that year so it had to be pretty early in the year on the jet or the end of 93.

I no longer own any of my original pieces of power but I have a beat set of unlimited to play and a set I am trying to put toghether of ex+ or better beta.

HorseshoeCrab
11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
My first (and only) power so far was an UL Emerald that I traded a LOT of Standard goodies, bulk, and $15 for from a dealer. JTMS was $90 at the time, and Tezzeret was $55 (and I had a foil one to trade in.) 3 Jaces and the foil Tezz were traded in. Then I cleared out my binder, and a pile of bulk.

I don't miss the Standard cards at all, and I was able to buy back JTMS when they dropped to $50 a year later. Yaay :)

inked
12-15-2012, 04:37 AM
I just picked up my second and third pieces of power today in trade. I now have a Mox Sapphire, Mox Emerald and Mox Ruby.

I got the Ruby and Emerald today, and I almost thought about trading for his Timetwister, but it would have taken a couple of my dual lands that I use more frequently, but I sort of feel like I should have made a move for the Twister. Overall I am very happy.

r3dd09
12-15-2012, 07:25 AM
I plan on buying a set of beta power next year... along with finishing my playset of beta duals(2/40). I've never owned any power :(

sdematt
12-16-2012, 01:59 PM
2013 is going to be a banner year for Reddog? :tongue:

-Matt

Zalren
12-19-2012, 11:13 AM
A local store had a Black Friday Buy One Get One 50% off sale on all items (including MTG singles). I always wanted the P9 so I bought Beta Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Time Vault, all 5 Moxen, all for buy one get one 50% off so it was an amazing deal. There was a Beta Black Lotus as well but I was short on cash and did not buy it. I can still go buy the Beta Black Lotus but now it is full price, I almost feel ripped off paying full price now since I got the rest so cheap.

.Ix
12-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Holy shit. Sweet deal there, Zalren. I got all my power (5 mox, Lotus, Recall) this year all from the same guy who quit magic. I got a pretty good deal considering the cards were in great condition, esp the gem mint Recall, but it's nothing compared to 50%. Jesus christ lol

LennonMarx
12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
In 2008 or so I won a Mox Jet at a vintage tournament at The Warzone in Cleveland, OH. That was my only piece of power until earlier this year I decided I wanted to power up. Since then (with a ton of help from my girlfriend), I have acquired the other 4 moxen, Ancestral Recall, and Time Walk, and I have plans to get a Lotus some time in March.

All pieces are unlimited, for what it's worth. Value aside, I could never get rid of the Jet since it was my first piece, and it being the only WB one would look really out of place :tongue:.

r3dd09
01-09-2013, 07:25 PM
2013 is going to be a banner year for Reddog? :tongue:

-Matt

I'd say I'm doing pretty good so far ;)

Dan Turner
01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
I have a couple beta pieces suppose to be here today. First beta I have purchased in about forever.

Koby
01-14-2013, 11:20 AM
I'd say I'm doing pretty good so far ;)

Here's hoping for actual Vintage Source Open, IN REAL LIFE!

Dan Turner
01-14-2013, 02:05 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2k0zte.jpg

Happy Birthday to me :) Actually my Birthday is 3 months away but this was mine and my wife's compromise on investing. Figure it will hold value better long term. Sorry about the pic it was with my phone.

r3dd09
01-17-2013, 03:14 AM
Here's hoping for actual Vintage Source Open, IN REAL LIFE!

I'd be down. We should have "Play like it's 94" side events ;)

copywriter
01-28-2013, 08:08 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2k0zte.jpg

Happy Birthday to me :) Actually my Birthday is 3 months away but this was mine and my wife's compromise on investing. Figure it will hold value better long term. Sorry about the pic it was with my phone.

Can I ask how much you paid for that? I'm thinking about investing in Vintage. Thanks! And great looking cards btw.

Dan Turner
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Can I ask how much you paid for that? I'm thinking about investing in Vintage. Thanks! And great looking cards btw.

I traded an acre of property we purchased to put a trailer on before we got our house. The womans husband has 15 years in prison and it was his collection. She needed a place to put a trailer to live in more then the cards. I know I was ahead by some but not much and she had offered me the deal so I don't feel that bad. The property is worth about $10k. If I had sold I would have ended up with about 8k cash after fees and such.

feline
04-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Set of Unlimited 8 years ago, had it for 1 year, set was all 1 of's of course, played the old 2 land belcher deck in 1 whole tournament, then ended up letting it go because there was really noone else to push the format with locally. Middle of the Mojave Desert between Vegas & LA, so driving 2 hours away didn't work when noone else in my card group had type 1 stuff.

Now that I've typed this out, I miss Tinker Wheel of Fortune Timetwister & Memory Jar, I love draw 7's! & no, I didn't run Time Walk, another turn? The goal was to kill them ha ha, I've always considered Time Walk less impressive than Timetwister but the prices never indicated that, though this is from a "I just wanna play fast combos" perspective.

I'd consider getting type 1 stuff again, because dredge seems like an absolute powerhouse to play with 4 Bazaar of Baghdad alone, but there'd really be no metagame for the format, any type 1 stuff would just be from a collecter's standpoint where I'm at.

Mr.C
04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I picked up a Mox Pearl recently. What can I play with it? White Weenie? Is that even a deck in Vintage?

Royal Ass.
04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
My first piece of power was an Unl Mox Ruby that I bought from a guy outside a local game shop. He was going to sell all his stuff to the store and offered me first dibs, wanting $100 per piece of power and $200 for lotus. It was all played Unl stuff. The Lotus was beat to hell. Looking back I should have bought it all but probably didn't have the money at the time. I'd never spent close to $100 on a magic card before that! (Now that's nothing!) This was in around 2002 I believe. I bought the Ruby cause I liked red. Now I have all BB power, but still have that Ruby for sentimental value.

stealth
04-09-2013, 02:19 AM
I picked up a Mox Pearl recently. What can I play with it? White Weenie? Is that even a deck in Vintage?

White Trash!

kingtk3
04-12-2013, 04:23 PM

Angry Bears!!!

Creature (25)
4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Ethersworn Canonist
3x Kataki, War's Wage
4x Leonin Arbiter
3x Phyrexian Revoker
4x Qasali Pridemage
3x Tarmogoyf
Artifact (5)
4x AEther Vial
1x Mox Pearl
Instant (8)
2x Nature's Claim
4x Path to Exile
2x Swords to Plowshares
Land (22)
3x Forest
4x Ghost Quarter
6x Plains
1x Strip Mine
4x Wasteland
4x Windswept Heath

Although this list is a couple of years old

rooneg
04-20-2013, 10:40 PM
My first magic cards were actually a starter deck of unlimited. A buddy of mine picked two up, he opened one and I opened one. I don't remember much about the contents of mine other than the fact that it had a sol ring and a craw wurm in it. My buddy's had a jade statue (which I traded for when balance decks got to be a thing) and a time walk, which was pretty much the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Not sure what happened to that card, sadly.

Anyway, I never got closer to owning power than that time walk during my initial adventures with the game, being a high school kid with no money and all that. Eventually I got out of the game and sold basically everything I owned. Around Zendikar I got back in again, after a coworker of mine started a lunchtime league at the office. I've been hooked ever since, mostly playing Legacy. In the back of my mind vintage has always been lurking. I remembered getting my ass kicked by decks packing power back in the day, and I always wanted to have my own, since these days I've actually got the money. I've been building up my stockpile of vintage staples over the past few years, and now I've hit the point where I can build most anything I want, minus the real money cards.

Today I managed to drag a few coworkers to the monthly vintage event at Myriad Games, the first time I've played vintage in a tournament setting since back when they called it type 1. I got my ass kicked, naturally, but I did manage to fulfill a childhood dream, trading some beat duals, a spare Force of Will, a big pile of random rares and some cash for a slightly played mox sapphire (http://electricjellyfish.net/images/sapphire.jpg).

One down, 8 to go. Well, 9 to go if you count the Time Vault ;-)

mini1337s
04-22-2013, 04:55 PM
One down, 8 to go. Well, 9 to go if you count the Time Vault ;-)
7 to go! Bought a Recall and Mox Jet over the last 4 weeks! Feels good man

Varal
04-25-2013, 09:10 PM
White Trash!

Here's a list from Luis Manuel Augusto who finished 7/29 at the 2º LMV 2013. It plays more than just Mox Pearl but most decks can be adapted to play with less power pieces. Dredge play no power at all if you're looking for a cheap option in the format.

Creatures [29]
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
3 Whipcorder
4 Aven Mindcensor
4 Glowrider
4 Leonin Relic-Warder
4 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Enchantments [3]
3 Stony Silence

Artifacts [8]
1 Batterskull
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire

Lands [20]
1 Strip Mine
3 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Wasteland
8 Snow-Covered Plains

Sideboard [15]
4 Fiend Hunter
3 Porcelain Legionnaire
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
2 Devout Witness
1 Batterskull
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Stony Silence
1 Umezawa's Jitte

mini1337s
04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
7 to go! Bought a Recall and Mox Jet over the last 4 weeks! Feels good man
6 to go, Timetwister done.

Stoyrm
06-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Picked up a Lotus (really beat, which i'll have to upgrave in the future), a Pearl, Ruby and a Time Walk. Will probably pick up the rest during the next 6 months, but it'll be hard to find some decent ones at a decent price :).

Dan Turner
06-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Picked up a Lotus (really beat, which i'll have to upgrave in the future), a Pearl, Ruby and a Time Walk. Will probably pick up the rest during the next 6 months, but it'll be hard to find some decent ones at a decent price :).

I have learned if your going to shuffle it up beat is a better investment long term, even 1 shuffle mark on an otherwise perfect lotus can sometimes cut the value in half. I picked up a lot of Heavily played power/duals etc since they were very low cost considering the alternatives to play with.

dontbiteitholmes
06-07-2013, 01:41 AM
First Power was a Recall I won at a vintage event. Still short a Time Walk. 8/9

mini1337s
06-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Still fighting the good fight!

http://i.imgur.com/Pq8MB7c.jpg?1

6 of 9 done. It's so true, once you pick up one, you just need to pick them all up!

aahz
06-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Still fighting the good fight!
6 of 9 done. It's so true, once you pick up one, you just need to pick them all up!
Just wait. Nothing like that feeling when you're finally finished. :cool:

And then you realize it is imperative to upgrade to Alpha/Beta...

Dan Turner
06-07-2013, 02:57 PM
If your gonna power up it is important to display it properly.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/968806_10201273542983315_186924171_n.jpg

aahz
06-07-2013, 06:00 PM
If your gonna power up it is important to display it properly.
Agreed. You better get those cards in a deck, find a Vintage opponent, and start shuffling. :wink:

Dan Turner
06-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Agreed. You better get those cards in a deck, find a Vintage opponent, and start shuffling. :wink:

i have another set in a deck and these are actually part of my vintage belcher deck

FieryBalrog
06-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Just picked up a UL Timetwister in close to NM condition on Ebay for $230. This shit is way cheaper than I expected. It cost less than a foil ONS blue fetch.

From a collection/coolness perspective Timetwister was lowest on the list for me by a good bit, but it's also the only one legal in EDH, and I plan to deck it, which is the same reason I picked up cards like Workshop over Library.

mini1337s
06-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Just wait. Nothing like that feeling when you're finally finished. :cool:

And then you realize it is imperative to upgrade to Alpha/Beta...
Not on this salary!

but i have this feeling you are totally right

DuKeLiO
06-21-2013, 07:42 AM
I trade my first piece of power for a lot of Extended cards long time ago, when Savannah and Oath of Druids were Extended cards. It was an Ancestral Recall. After that I bought a Time Walk some moths after, and trade a Library of Alexandria for five dual lands. I completed my power and started to play tournaments. I won more than 30 pieces of power on tournaments among Europe and upgraded to Alpha everything :)

mini1337s
08-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Just need my big, bad Lotus, and I get to join the full Power club :)

apple713
08-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Got my first piece of power at Worlds in toronto 2001. Bought a beta emerald from some sketchy people for $200 canadian, like $150 american. Sold it a few years later for 450. 4 years later after college I ended up finding an amazing deal and buying all the power in beta for about $3500. it was a packaged deal and came with some other gems like alpha tropical and extra mox sapphire.

monovfox
08-15-2013, 01:45 AM
My first pieces of power were a beat-as-hell Library of Alexandria (it was Power then!) and a creased Alpha Time Walk that I got in 2000 when I was a freshman in high school, which I bought from my friend for $20 and $45 each. No one played with those cards, and he had no interest in selling it on eBay; I didn't have any use for it.

Now that I think of it, I bought a Time Vault from that same friend about a year before that when we were in middle school. But that card was useless then, so I think I sold it pretty quickly (probably back to him again). I wanted more Cursed Scrolls at the time!

Anyway, I traded the LoA and the Time Walk to a store for $180 and 4 Tropical Islands in 2006. I had quit the game and hadn't played for several years, but I knew if I ever were to play again, it would be Legacy. I still didn't want to touch eBay and I figured I'd never use those cards, so I didn't mind losing value on the trade. Probably in my favor now.

I ended up buying an Unlimited Mox Ruby (probably VG) for $225 in 2009, but I ended up flipping that for a bunch of smaller Legacy staples after realizing I wouldn't buy it. It had someone's initials written on it in regular red ink. Eww.

No power right now. Probably not for a while.
It's funny because I think my LGS has that exact mox ruby.

mini1337s
08-16-2013, 01:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hEm2XOU.jpg
So close!

dontbiteitholmes
08-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Update. Fully powered.

lordofthepit
08-29-2013, 09:06 PM
It's funny because I think my LGS has that exact mox ruby.

I sold the Ruby to someone in Pennsylvania online.

I sold the Time Walk and Library to a store in San Gabriel in like 2006, back when I lived there. It very well may have been MTGDeals, although they would have been a new store at the time.

aahz
08-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Just passing through to give a belated thumbs up and/or high-five to those making progress on or completing their Power! Don't forget to shuffle and play them regularly so they don't lose their moxie through flagrant disuse. :wink:

Also, an argument can be made that Time Vault, Workshop, Bazaar, and Library should be considered Power. Even the "But Tradition..." argument against still has to deal with the historical fact that Library was once considered the 10th piece of Power, at least in some circles. No reason to exclude anyone from this thread (as long as they have/had cards of sufficient age, awesomeness, and power :tongue:).

Keep it up people! Cheers!

dontbiteitholmes
09-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Just passing through to give a belated thumbs up and/or high-five to those making progress on or completing their Power! Don't forget to shuffle and play them regularly so they don't lose their moxie through flagrant disuse. :wink:

Also, an argument can be made that Time Vault, Workshop, Bazaar, and Library should be considered Power. Even the "But Tradition..." argument against still has to deal with the historical fact that Library was once considered the 10th piece of Power, at least in some circles. No reason to exclude anyone from this thread (as long as they have/had cards of sufficient age, awesomeness, and power :tongue:).

Keep it up people! Cheers!

Many people consider Time Vault to be part of the Power 9 since it sees so much play compared to none for Timetwister. If you go to a power 9 draft tournament in the North East expect Time Vault over Twister in the prize pool.

afb0032
10-04-2013, 07:34 PM
A mox ruby which arrived in the mail this afternoon. Now the long road to the other 8!

mini1337s
10-05-2013, 10:13 AM
A mox ruby which arrived in the mail this afternoon. Now the long road to the other 8!
It begins! It's a fun process, enjoy it :)

afb0032
10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
It begins! It's a fun process, enjoy it :)

Thanks and duly noted! There is nothing like finding a deal that is too good to pass up for something you've wanted for a long time.

Dessyreqt
10-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Bought an UNL Timetwister a year or two ago for EDH for about $200 or so. It goes in just about every blue deck I play. Played in a proxy Vintage tournament in July and decided I wanted the whole set. Picked up a Library of Alexandria in a trade a month ago which included my foil MM Dark Confidant. I like to stick to just the original nine, but some people count it, so I figured I'd include it.

Picked up an UNL Black Lotus just this weekend at GP OKC for $1275. Most of the value came from trading in judge foils and the FTV:20 set I got at retail because I judged a SCG IQ for the store owner. The remainder of the value came from cash that I earned judging the GP and a PTQ the week prior.

I definitely didn't get into judging to collect power, but it seems to be helping me attain that goal. :)

I think I'll get the rest in this order:
Ancestral Recall
Mox Sapphire
Time Walk
Mox Jet
Mox Emerald
Mox Ruby
Mox Pearl

pandaman
10-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Power celebration - got my Mox Sapphire in the mail the day before the vintage side event at GP Brisbane, then picked up the Ancestral Recall an hour before!

Now only missing a Lotus to play UR Landstill in optimal configuration.

I got to play a Turn 1 Ancestral, and a Turn 1 Standstill off a Volcanic Island and Mox Sapphire following with a Mishra's Factory the next turn. I am in love :):):)

Next on the shopping list is:

Black Lotus (complete UR Landstill)
Mox Pearl (for UW Standstill converstion)
Time Walk (ditto)
Mox Jet
Mox Ruby
Mox Emerald
Timetwister

Then:

Time Vault
4 x Workshops
4 x Bazaars

Finally joined the power club!!

mini1337s
10-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Power celebration - got my Mox Sapphire in the mail the day before the vintage side event at GP Brisbane, then picked up the Ancestral Recall an hour before!

Now only missing a Lotus to play UR Landstill in optimal configuration.

I got to play a Turn 1 Ancestral, and a Turn 1 Standstill off a Volcanic Island and Mox Sapphire following with a Mishra's Factory the next turn. I am in love :):):)

Next on the shopping list is:

Black Lotus (complete UR Landstill)
Mox Pearl (for UW Standstill converstion)
Time Walk (ditto)
Mox Jet
Mox Ruby
Mox Emerald
Timetwister

Then:

Time Vault
4 x Workshops
4 x Bazaars

Finally joined the power club!!
Nice! Getting the Lotus is proving to be a real bitch lol. Should have started with the big ones and worked my way down!

Myelectronicdays
10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
as im finishing up my legacy staples now.. and eyeing that power plunge.. that lotus purchase / trade scares the dickens out of me. ;D

mini1337s
10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
as im finishing up my legacy staples now.. and eyeing that power plunge.. that lotus purchase / trade scares the dickens out of me. ;D
It gets better... ish :)
It's really the big bad Lotus that I'm hating. Everything else hasn't been that big of a problem.

Stan
10-13-2013, 11:12 AM
I already had some power, but this is the trade I did today.

I gave:

1 scrubland (eng, rev)
1 taiga (eng, rev)
2 taiga (french bb)
1 temple garden
4 LED
4 metalworker
4 FOW
4 sneak attack
1 italian chains of mephistoteles
1 judge promo orim's chant
4 swords to plowshares (eng, 4th)
4 ancient tomb
1 grindstone
1 olivia voldaren
100 euro

I got:

1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister (both unlimited, in very very good shape)
1 Imperial Seal (japanese, nm)

pandaman
10-19-2013, 09:11 PM
It gets better... ish :)
It's really the big bad Lotus that I'm hating. Everything else hasn't been that big of a problem.

I agree, mate. It is hard to pull the trigger on the big boy!

kingtk3
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
First piece I got, although it tecnichally was not power, was a Library of Alexandria. Then came Emerald, Ruby, Berskerk and Sapphire, and after a while Ancestral. In the meanwhile I acquired 3 Workshops but I sold them soon after for profit.

Obviously I already owned all the non power staples moat apart.

Then I stopped playing magic.

I was back to the game a couple of years ago, but since vintage was (and saddly is) non existent in my city I turned to legacy.

It would be nice to complete my collection ...

Myelectronicdays
11-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Been a good week, so felt the need to post this. I started playing mtg in 94, and ended up quitting the game at some point in 2001 (like most do at one point or another). Sold my deck.. my power, everything. It wasn't till about a year ago where magic totally re-ignited in me. Not only have I slowly re-aquiring my old collection. I had the honor to paint and design the new playmat, which just arrived today, one day after I re-acquired my first piece of power again. Taking me a little longer since I am only finding NM pieces, and unlimited is totally fine for me.. (since it was unlimited that I owned before).

Can't thank the legacy community enough and all the peeps from the source! Everyone on these boards has been great and I hope everyone enjoys a mat that gets one!

only 8 more to go >.<

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/first_power_zps4b8e2324.jpg

pandaman
11-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Been a good week, so felt the need to post this. I started playing mtg in 94, and ended up quitting the game at some point in 2001 (like most do at one point or another). Sold my deck.. my power, everything. It wasn't till about a year ago where magic totally re-ignited in me. Not only have I slowly re-aquiring my old collection. I had the honor to paint and design the new playmat, which just arrived today, one day after I re-acquired my first piece of power again. Taking me a little longer since I am only finding NM pieces, and unlimited is totally fine for me.. (since it was unlimited that I owned before).

Can't thank the legacy community enough and all the peeps from the source! Everyone on these boards has been great and I hope everyone enjoys a mat that gets one!

only 8 more to go >.<

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/first_power_zps4b8e2324.jpg

Oh yeah! Congrats on the first piece! And a nice minty UL Pearl too, looks fantastic.

Teluin
11-18-2013, 12:05 PM
So my quest for Power started very recently, as Eternal Weekend really helped reaffirm my desire to play Vintage. Technically, that was all I played as a kid (thanks Sol Ring and Balance) vs. my friends in grade school, but never with Power (because... we were in grade school after all). I still remember reading Scry magazine and seeing all these cool cards we wish we had. Ali from Cairo was so bad-ass to us back then.

ANYWAY, back to Eternal Weekend. I figured why not, I'd check on eBay and see what prices are like. I saw a really beat up Mox Ruby that seemed to be going for cheap, so I bid on it and ended up winning it. I was pretty happy about that, so I figured if I could find Power for about the same price for each then heck yeah, I'd acquire them. I was hooked! It soon became apparent however, that that was a good deal, which I might not find again. I continued to look and found two others (Mox Pearl and Mox Jet) for somewhat cheap prices and decided to buy them.

Originally, my plan had been to get the 5 Moxen first, and play a sort of 'budget' but powered MUD deck. No Workshops, but the 5 Mox, a Crypt and Sol Ring plus the sol lands... but that changed when I found some Blue Power (Walk and Recall) online that were going for good prices and I decided I wanted those! I grew up playing Blue as a kid, and it remains my favourite colour to play. Not to mention that Recall's the best card in MtG and Walk is either 2nd or 3rd.

Prior to the Blue power however, I had searched on eBay and found the last 2 Moxen (signed Emerald) and (Sapphire) on eBay. It was one of those sellers who has huge shipping costs outside of the US - but I have friends in the States (I'm in Canada), so I had to go for it! Usually high shipping deters other bidders, and I was right! Mox Emerald and Sapphire acquired!

So that's where I stand right now. I'm short Lotus (which I just can't justify spending that much money on a card!) and a Timetwister, which I want the least of the P9 and am considering buying a Vault before it. All of these cards are UNL and none are M/NM, but I don't care about either of those. I started playing MtG with white border, and I plan on playing these cards so investing in M/NM doesn't interest me. I eagerly await the mail each day so I can finally hold some Power in my hands. I hope the Ruby gets here first.

JamieW89
11-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Wasn't planning to get into vintage, but saw a pretty sweet deal on the dutch equivalent of ebay. Paid 1900 ($2500-2600) for these 7, basicly the prize money from BoM. Now I'm torn between flipping them (which I should) or keeping them and attempt to build Burning oath.
Sorry for the terrible picture :d

http://s17.postimg.org/mi4rakskv/Power.png (http://postimg.org/image/i9018epbf/full/)
image hosting 10mb limit (http://postimage.org/)

mini1337s
11-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Wasn't planning to get into vintage, but saw a pretty sweet deal on the dutch equivalent of ebay. Paid 1900 ($2500-2600) for these 7, basicly the prize money from BoM. Now I'm torn between flipping them (which I should) or keeping them and attempt to build Burning oath.

http://s17.postimg.org/mi4rakskv/Power.png (http://postimg.org/image/i9018epbf/full/)
Wow! That is a deal. I would say keep them; there is an active European vintage scene and worst case scenario, you create a cube. Very jealous, you basically bought a Lotus and a mox and got 5 free!

pandaman
11-20-2013, 12:37 AM

Wow, that was a good deal, congratulations! Keep them, don't sell! Make Burning Oath! Make a cube! Make Grixis Control! Anything but selling... (unless selling at that price to me, lolz).

Welcome to the Power club in a big way, you are now my senior in number of of power, sir. And quality of those pieces too, they don't look too bad at all!

barcode
12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Back in the day my first piece of power was an UL Emerald which taught me how to shuffle my cards. Poor shuffling technique resulted in a corner of the Emerald getting split - kind of de-laminated. I sold all my power off to pay bills back around 2003 and so my first power again is an UL Ruby and Time Walk this past weekend.

afb0032
12-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Jamie: what a great find and deal; a very a solid investment

barcode: welcome back to owning power!

barcode
12-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Jamie: what a great find and deal; a very a solid investment

barcode: welcome back to owning power!

Thanks! Can't wait to pay off my credit card and finish the pieces so BOM next year is an option (blowing all my FF miles for business class, ofc).

pandaman
12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks! Can't wait to pay off my credit card and finish the pieces so BOM next year is an option (blowing all my FF miles for business class, ofc).

Pimping the travel and the Vintage tables, I like!

Teluin
12-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Finally got all of them. Made sure they were the first cards to touch the new playmat!

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1463543_10100671136075936_1451309223_n.jpg

pandaman
12-07-2013, 05:36 AM
That is a beautiful sight. Congratulations!

barcode
12-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Gosh, and here I am forgetting to post a photo...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22284908/mtg/rubywalk.jpg

pandaman
12-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Yeah! Nice, barcode!

mini1337s
12-08-2013, 04:22 PM
It's awesome to see so many people investing in Power! It does make me scared Lotus is going to jump again though lol
Keep it up everyone

pandaman
12-09-2013, 06:32 AM
It's awesome to see so many people investing in Power! It does make me scared Lotus is going to jump again though lol
Keep it up everyone

It only matters if you haven't already got one. So get one, everyone, before the price rise!

barcode
12-09-2013, 03:39 PM
It only matters if you haven't already got one. So get one, everyone, before the price rise!

I'm working on it! ;)

Stan
12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Finished my power (all unlimited) earlier today. Traded away various stuff, including my alpha Sapphire, for unlimited Ancestral, Sapphire and Emerald. I am most pleased.

mini1337s
12-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Finished my power (all unlimited) earlier today. Traded away various stuff, including my alpha Sapphire, for unlimited Ancestral, Sapphire and Emerald. I am most pleased.

Congratulations!

Myelectronicdays
12-18-2013, 08:06 PM
yeah definately congrats! I seem to have an issue for every piece of power I am about to buy.. I end up buying more legacy staple / foils instead... its super distracting.

pandaman
12-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Awesome to hear, congratulations! I hope to start acquiring the rest next year, in preparation for BoM Annecy.

Can we have pics? :D

Stan
12-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Thank you guys. I'll upload a picture over the weekend. I never sold a single piece (before yesterday anyway, when I involved one piece into the trade to finish the rest), and started with the Lotus. That was in december 1997. Took me 16 years. :D

Myelectronicdays
12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Wanted to get peoples opinions on price value of a beta emerald thats played.

lgs just got this in and tossed me over a photo (photo kind of sucks but you can still somewhat tell whats going on in it).. offering it for $500. This reasonable? or does that crease in the middle just put it in a north worth snagging category.. i usually prefer good condition cards but i know beta can nudge that around somewhat. ANy feedback you guys have would be great. The back is pretty good shape also.. you just see that middle crease a bit.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/beta_mox_em_zps21da3dad.jpg

r3dd09
12-20-2013, 01:05 PM

lgs just got this in and tossed me over a photo (photo kind of sucks but you can still somewhat tell whats going on in it).. offering it for $500. This reasonable? or does that crease in the middle just put it in a north worth snagging category.. i usually prefer good condition cards but i know beta can nudge that around somewhat. ANy feedback you guys have would be great. The back is pretty good shape also.. you just see that middle crease a bit.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/beta_mox_em_zps21da3dad.jpg

If I was you, I wouldn't pick up anything with a shuffle crease unless you plan on replacing it or getting a killer deal. Hurts resell value. When I come across a beta dual with a crease, it's not even a thought to pick it up unless they make note of it being super cheap.

I picked up a HP Beta Ruby recently for 150(no creases). Basically what SCG would buy it for.

I'd rather buy this Emerald than the one you posted, and it's less (auction already ended, just using for an example)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Magic-1x-Mox-Emerald-Beta-See-Pictures-for-Condition-/251397940257?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item3a887c2421&nma=true&si=pI2NT9e%252B0Wi62BqSJqW4tV72qE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Depending on how close you are with the shop owner, I'd show him this listing and see if you could get his Emerald for less than the ebay one.

Myelectronicdays
12-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks man, great advice and you are probably right. I think for something along those lines it would have to be a bargain price. you rock man thanks!

apple713
12-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks man, great advice and you are probably right. I think for something along those lines it would have to be a bargain price. you rock man thanks!

You can still get beta moxes between 3-400 on ebay

Higgs
12-20-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm off to a good start!

http://i.imgur.com/emhOLXVl.jpg

and incredibly determined to finish it :)

Dia_Bot
12-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Nice start Higgs!
With the sleeves it's hard to see but are they nm?

Higgs
12-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks Dia_Bot!

They are EX, the fronts are quite good without stratches etc. but have small nicks on the corners/sides. Backsides have some whitening. I try to hunt down EX ones with clean front sides because I figure it's probably the best compromise between price and condition :)

Royal Ass.
12-22-2013, 02:31 AM
I've been playing since 1994 and have been acquiring power since 2001. First was an Unl Mox Ruby that I still have. Yesterday I finally got an Alpha Lotus. I paid through the nose for it, but they are getting really hard to find.... I bought it from a local card store that I've been going to since 1994. The owner has an Alpha set he is breaking up. The Beta Lotus I bought from SCG a few years ago. It was listed in MP condition but it's not far off from SP condition. The Unl lotus I got around 2003 or so. I traded my friend another Lotus I had plus $50 for his signed one. He sold my beat up one on ebay to someone in Spain back when Europe was buying up all the US power.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/fotografiamia/Mobile%20Uploads/7FAD326E-7B2D-4065-9D7F-D2372FF1F9C4_zpsxcywuehg.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/fotografiamia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7FAD326E-7B2D-4065-9D7F-D2372FF1F9C4_zpsxcywuehg.jpg.html)

These are all the Power cards I have minus a mint Library in my Arabian Nights set (also has a Bazaar in it if you consider that a "power card"). I started to transition to black bordered a few years ago and it took me up until GP KC this year to finish the BB set when I picked up a Beta Twister and Time Vault. I'll never get rid of the Unl Ruby cause it's my first power card. Might get rid of the extra Unl moxes someday though if I find the right trade. But not many people have power in my area so it's hard to trade such expensive cards. I'm keeping the Lotus ABU trifecta for collecting reasons.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/fotografiamia/Mobile%20Uploads/6EE785E3-CE19-4F75-9915-D948800BDD30_zps3bvzitx2.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/fotografiamia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6EE785E3-CE19-4F75-9915-D948800BDD30_zps3bvzitx2.jpg.html)

I hope they dissolve the reserved list and re-print this stuff someday so T1 will come back... I don't worry about it devaluing the old stuff. I don't think it would especially if it had new art, templating and frame. It would probably actually increase it's value by making the old stuff more desirable due to increased interest in the format. I have a feeling that when MTGO Vintage starts it will cause the value of paper P9 to go up. People are going to start playing it online and want to own the paper stuff just for collecting reasons even if they don't play paper. If I was wanting to buy into power I would do it before June 2014. The BB stuff has gone up a bit int he last year due to the 20th anniversary IMO. These cards are now iconic, imbedded in our culture.

pandaman
12-22-2013, 04:26 AM
I'm off to a good start!

http://i.imgur.com/emhOLXVl.jpg

and incredibly determined to finish it :)

Yessssss! Two beautiful pieces, congratulations!

pandaman
12-22-2013, 04:29 AM
I've been playing since 1994 and have been acquiring power since 2001. First was an Unl Mox Ruby that I still have. Yesterday I finally got an Alpha Lotus. I paid through the nose for it, but they are getting really hard to find.... I bought it from a local card store that I've been going to since 1994. The owner has an Alpha set he is breaking up. The Beta Lotus I bought from SCG a few years ago. It was listed in MP condition but it's not far off from SP condition. The Unl lotus I got around 2003 or so. I traded my friend another Lotus I had plus $50 for his signed one. He sold my beat up one on ebay to someone in Spain back when Europe was buying up all the US power.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/fotografiamia/Mobile%20Uploads/7FAD326E-7B2D-4065-9D7F-D2372FF1F9C4_zpsxcywuehg.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/fotografiamia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7FAD326E-7B2D-4065-9D7F-D2372FF1F9C4_zpsxcywuehg.jpg.html)

These are all the Power cards I have minus a mint Library in my Arabian Nights set (also has a Bazaar in it if you consider that a "power card"). I started to transition to black bordered a few years ago and it took me up until GP KC this year to finish the BB set when I picked up a Beta Twister and Time Vault. I'll never get rid of the Unl Ruby cause it's my first power card. Might get rid of the extra Unl moxes someday though if I find the right trade. But not many people have power in my area so it's hard to trade such expensive cards. I'm keeping the Lotus ABU trifecta for collecting reasons.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/fotografiamia/Mobile%20Uploads/6EE785E3-CE19-4F75-9915-D948800BDD30_zps3bvzitx2.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/fotografiamia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6EE785E3-CE19-4F75-9915-D948800BDD30_zps3bvzitx2.jpg.html)

I hope they dissolve the reserved list and re-print this stuff someday so T1 will come back... I don't worry about it devaluing the old stuff. I don't think it would especially if it had new art, templating and frame. It would probably actually increase it's value by making the old stuff more desirable due to increased interest in the format. I have a feeling that when MTGO Vintage starts it will cause the value of paper P9 to go up. People are going to start playing it online and want to own the paper stuff just for collecting reasons even if they don't play paper. If I was wanting to buy into power I would do it before June 2014. The BB stuff has gone up a bit int he last year due to the 20th anniversary IMO. These cards are now iconic, imbedded in our culture.

What a great story, thanks for sharing the history of your quest! Fantastic collection, and I love it that you're so attached to your UL Ruby. Looking at that picture makes me want to give completing UL Power the flick and just jump straight to Beta...

Royal Ass.
12-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks. Ironically the Unl Ruby gets the most action these days as I have it in my mono red Dragon EDH deck. My T1 deck is pretty much in hibernation as no one around me plays Vintage anymore. I hope someday to play in Vintage champs.

nedleeds
12-22-2013, 01:47 PM

<snip beat beta emerald>

$500 is pretty high for that ... a beta Emerald in that condition you could pick up at a gencon for like $300 if you had cash.

Myelectronicdays
12-22-2013, 01:55 PM
$500 is pretty high for that ... a beta Emerald in that condition you could pick up at a gencon for like $300 if you had cash.

yeah i ended up passing on it.. you guys are most def right. thanks man

mini1337s
02-22-2014, 04:54 PM
The Black Lotus is on the way. Bought it from ABU; here is a scan:

http://i.imgur.com/PbNJas0.jpg

Can't wait to have the card in hand. Just need Time Vault and a 3rd Mana Drain and I think I'm completely Vintage ready.

pandaman
02-23-2014, 06:17 AM
The Black Lotus is on the way. Bought it from ABU; here is a scan:

http://i.imgur.com/PbNJas0.jpg

Can't wait to have the card in hand. Just need Time Vault and a 3rd Mana Drain and I think I'm completely Vintage ready.

Fucking beautiful.

mini1337s
02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4yMIHKo.jpg

:)

pandaman
02-26-2014, 07:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4yMIHKo.jpg

Instant boner. Man, looking at power is getting me excited for Vintage at GP Melbourne this weekend!!!!!

KIP_NZ
02-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Instant boner. Man, looking at power is getting me excited for Vintage at GP Melbourne this weekend!!!!!

What ya playing? Are you powered? I'm not attending but my decks are.

Answering the question originally asked - My first bit was an Ancestral Recall in 1997, I was on a 4 hour bus trip from where I lived to see a mate and it stopped in a small town for 30 minutes, I got off to have a look around and there was a small game store run by some high school students right beside the bus stop. I walk inside and the first trade folder has an Ancestral Recall in it, dude wants to trade it for a bunch of stuff and I say sure! 15 minutes later I'm back on the bus with my first bit of power wondering what the hell just happened!

I ended up trading that off 2-3 months later for bits for my 5 colour deck.

I played and quit a couple times 97-03 when the kid was born and I quit for good and sold everything. Over those years I owned most bits of power but not a lotus. Fast forward to a mates stag party in March 2012 and I ended up sitting beside a guy who I'd played with years ago who commented he still played and that I should try it out again. The next week he loaned me a standard zombies and I played FNM at my LGS and went 3-1 and had a blast. I returned the deck to him and over the next 3-4 weeks the spark was burning again, I read up about the formats now and realised I didn't want to play standard. Legacy and Vintage would be where I wanted to be. In the first week of May I walked into a recently moved game store and they had a played Black Lotus under the counter, WOW I asked, how much is that? The shop girl said $1400 NZD ($1100 USD) and I thought "I can afford that" and I bought it right there and then. I was back baby! I only owned 1 card but what a card it was! Since then I've completed the full P9 and have actually started upgrading it with Beta copies. In retrospect I always knew I'd want Beta copies so I should have just got them in the first place rather than white bordering first.

Here's where I'm at with Beta'ing (I actually got a TimeTwister this week as well)
http://i.imgur.com/bLvFjEF.jpg

pandaman
02-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah! Nice Betas, looking good!

I am playing URg Landstill, it's the only deck I own, and the only "fully" powered deck I can play because I only have a Sapphire, Recall, and Lotus. You must be the infamous neighbour from across the ditch who is sending some decks, that is very generous of you. I am sure those who play will be very grateful.

If a Brisbane player gets one I will make sure to have words to them about taking very good care of it!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

pandaman
02-27-2014, 12:51 AM
This will actually be my first non-proxy tournament with my Lotus in the deck. I'm as excited as Big Kev at an all-you-can-eat buffet!

KIP_NZ
02-27-2014, 01:08 AM
This will actually be my first non-proxy tournament with my Lotus in the deck. I'm as excited as Big Kev at an all-you-can-eat buffet!

Very cool! Man UR Landstill? That's going to be the shops pilots nightmares! Yes I am the guy shipping some decks, I think Adrian from up your way is borrowing my Lotus / Ancestral / Time Walk / Time Vault, not sure if he knows he's borrowing Beta ones yet :)

Enjoy it, I'll be over for Eternal Masters in Oct if you're going down to there.

pandaman
02-27-2014, 01:15 AM
Holy cow, Beta borrows! I will keep an extra eye on him. And yes I will be down to Masters, I came 12th last year (first unpowered) but looking to break into Top 8 this year!

JPoJohnson
03-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Have a chance to trade:

4x NM Wasteland
1x NM Volcanic Island (Revised)

For a Timewalk that is EX on the front and semi-heavy played on the back. You guys think it's worth looking into further? He's pricing it at $600, but this is the trade I'm thinking of trying to push through. I've seen stuff selling in the mid $400's on ebay so I'm not sure. I don't own any power yet though so I figured I'd ask people that would probably know.

apple713
03-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Have a chance to trade:

4x NM Wasteland
1x NM Volcanic Island (Revised)

For a Timewalk that is EX on the front and semi-heavy played on the back. You guys think it's worth looking into further? He's pricing it at $600, but this is the trade I'm thinking of trying to push through. I've seen stuff selling in the mid $400's on ebay so I'm not sure. I don't own any power yet though so I figured I'd ask people that would probably know.

trade prices are so different than cash prices so it seems kinda weird but its not too far off..... for a first piece of power other than time twister (which probably shouldn't even be considered power any more) time walk is my least favorite. Ancestral is my favorite even over black lotus. Its the most powerful in my opinion.

JPoJohnson
03-18-2014, 12:15 AM
trade prices are so different than cash prices so it seems kinda weird but its not too far off..... for a first piece of power other than time twister (which probably shouldn't even be considered power any more) time walk is my least favorite. Ancestral is my fav even over black lotus.

Right, I realize that they are very different so that's why I ask here if it's worth it. It unfortunately would take apart one of my Legacy legal decks (UWR Midrange) that I wouldn't be able to replace the pieces to... but a good deal is a good deal. I'm not sure whether it's worth the long investment or not since the only way I'm getting rid of them is selling in the future if necessary.

apple713
03-18-2014, 12:43 AM
Right, I realize that they are very different so that's why I ask here if it's worth it. It unfortunately would take apart one of my Legacy legal decks (UWR Midrange) that I wouldn't be able to replace the pieces to... but a good deal is a good deal. I'm not sure whether it's worth the long investment or not since the only way I'm getting rid of them is selling in the future if necessary.

power is a bad "investment" legacy staples appreciate 10 fold more. the only things that appreciate worse than power are bazaars and workshops and mana drains.

i wouldn't ever trade away part of my legacy collection to play vintage, unless you had a good community for vintage

JPoJohnson
03-18-2014, 12:48 AM
power is a bad "investment" legacy staples appreciate 10 fold more. the only things that appreciate worse than power are bazaars and workshops and mana drains.

i wouldn't ever trade away part of my legacy collection to play vintage, unless you had a good community for vintage

Ok, noted. Appreciate the advice!

mini1337s
03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Personally, don't commit to buying Power unless you are sure you are going to buy all the pieces you need, which is one of the following 3 combinations:

Most to all Moxen (Sapphire and Jet possibly Ruby, Emerald and Pearl), Ancestral, Time Walk, and Lotus (Most decks)
All Moxen, Lotus, 4 Mishra's Workshop (Shops)
4 Bazaar of Baghdad (Dredge)

Power is awesome, but if you are killing a legacy deck for that deal, I wouldn't take it, especially in that shape. You'll just end up with a beat Time Walk and no deck to play.

GoblinZ
03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
I am not sure it is the right place to ask such a question. I found a mox pearl these day and maybe consider buying it, but I am not sure the price he offers is reasonable. It is around 300 USD and I think the condition of the card is MP(I am not an expert on this). I am not sure I can post the picture of it successfully so here is the link(sorry for this):

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.47.2sfUJp&id=37594633114

For anyone could help me, I will be very grateful.

mini1337s
03-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I am not sure it is the right place to ask such a question. I found a mox pearl these day and maybe consider buying it, but I am not sure the price he offers is reasonable. It is around 300 USD and I think the condition of the card is MP(I am not an expert on this). I am not sure I can post the picture of it successfully so here is the link(sorry for this):

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.47.2sfUJp&id=37594633114

For anyone could help me, I will be very grateful.
It has some pretty deep indentations, but $300 USD is a fair price. To be honest, any sleeve playable Mox is worth atleast $225ish USD, so I think the price is fine.

pandaman
03-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Holy cow, Beta borrows! I will keep an extra eye on him. And yes I will be down to Masters, I came 12th last year (first unpowered) but looking to break into Top 8 this year!

I got to Top 8 but scooped my friend in after winning my win-and-in because I had a flight to catch. Will fly out the next morning next time so I can stay and win the whole thing!

pandaman
03-19-2014, 07:53 AM
USD300 isn't bad, but it's not bargain basement. But if you really want it, I would be OK paying that for it.

Myelectronicdays
03-20-2014, 10:56 AM
After a small break from snagging my first power.. I managed to snag 3 more in just 1 week. Big thanks to r3dd09 for help in some of the introductions. Still feel's like I'm not close ;D

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/power_zps6104b21f.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/daveg3d/media/power_zps6104b21f.jpg.html)

GoblinZ
03-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Thank you very much, guys! I bought it for around 280 USD at last. Although it is not in a good condition, power is power. And This is my first piece of power, now I have 3 bazaars (two of them are NM) and one mox, really a long way to go...

I know there are some guys holding power or vintage decks in Beijing, but sadly there is not any tournament. I really wish I could some day have the chance to play power somewhere. I really believe vintage has more fun than legacy does.

GoblinZ
03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
After a small break from snagging my first power.. I managed to snag 3 more in just 1 week. Big thanks to r3dd09 for help in some of the introductions. Still feel's like I'm not close ;D

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/power_zps6104b21f.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/daveg3d/media/power_zps6104b21f.jpg.html)

NM power? really awesome...

Myelectronicdays
03-20-2014, 12:38 PM
yeah the jet is more around SP.. but really only trying to get hands on really clean power.

KIP_NZ
03-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Thank you very much, guys! I bought it for around 280 USD at last. Although it is not in a good condition, power is power. And This is my first piece of power, now I have 3 bazaars (two of them are NM) and one mox, really a long way to go...

I know there are some guys holding power or vintage decks in Beijing, but sadly there is not any tournament. I really wish I could some day have the chance to play power somewhere. I really believe vintage has more fun than legacy does.

Welcome to the club! It's a fun ride completing the set. As to Beijing, your best chance is side events at GPs to be honest, either hoping across to Japan or Malaysia might also be options? I'm flying to Australia later in the year for a Vintage event.

My most recent pick up, 4/10 towards beta now!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/1597908_10202276947539652_810486538_o.jpg

GoblinZ
03-24-2014, 11:49 AM
@KIP_NZ I will attend Beijing Grand Prix this weekend playing type 2, there will be legacy and modern side event. It is too difficult to organize vintage tournament here, most legacy players donnot have power and are reluctant to play proxies. And although I know there are indeed some players holding power, I don't know them personally, so it is difficult to build a vintage community. I may have the chance studying abroad in the future, I wish I could find a vintage community at that time...

pandaman
03-27-2014, 12:42 AM
Welcome to the club! It's a fun ride completing the set. As to Beijing, your best chance is side events at GPs to be honest, either hoping across to Japan or Malaysia might also be options? I'm flying to Australia later in the year for a Vintage event.

My most recent pick up, 4/10 towards beta now!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/1597908_10202276947539652_810486538_o.jpg

Just beautiful, congratulations.

And I assume you are flying for Eternal Masters? I am organising the Brisbane raiding party, so I'll see you there, mate. I'll make sure to introduce myself.

WorstBandNameEver
04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
My first piece of almost power was a NM- Time Vault but the first real pieces was an unlimited Emerald. I started a few months ago and I'm almost finished. I just need timetwister. I mostly play workshops though. I have ancestral and time walk for when I want to play something else. I will get timetwister, even just for collections sake I think.

I remember seeing power when I was young back ing 94-95. It's pretty neat to own it and play with it now.

barcode
04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22284908/mtg/emeraldsapphire-small.jpg

Two more. Need a Jet, Pearl, Timetwister and Lotus. :( Hoping to snag a Lotus and Jet later this year.

big_ticket
04-11-2014, 10:52 PM
really loved this thread

i only have an unlimited time vault right now..
and planning to get an mox jet for my birthday
power is very expensive right now..it almost quadroupled its value in time...

JPoJohnson
04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
really loved this thread

i only have an unlimited time vault right now..
and planning to get an mox jet for my birthday
power is very expensive right now..it almost quadroupled its value in time...

I know... I picked a bad time price was to get into vintage haha. Just picked up. My first bazaar of Baghdad though. Although not power I got a NM- for 190 so that's a pretty good deal (:

KIP_NZ
04-12-2014, 03:57 AM
I know... I picked a bad time price was to get into vintage haha. Just picked up. My first bazaar of Baghdad though. Although not power I got a NM- for 190 so that's a pretty good deal (:

That is a very good deal!

JPoJohnson
04-12-2014, 10:00 AM
That is a very good deal!

I've gotten some exceptionally good trades on MTGSalvation. Just got a Mana Drain NM- for $39 as well.

WorstBandNameEver
04-12-2014, 07:57 PM
I've gotten some exceptionally good trades on MTGSalvation. Just got a Mana Drain NM- for $39 as well.

A mana drain for junder $40. Can you share more on that?

Power has defintely crept up. I know three players in our group were all picking up power and a bunch of other people in the NJ area are doing the same. Eternal Weekend really lit a first for some of us.

big_ticket
04-13-2014, 07:51 AM
$40 a drains that's a steal :eek:

i really having a hard time to get cards coz of work right now..

the bay right now is flooded with some fake cards also :cry:

HrishiQQ
04-18-2014, 03:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tCg24mI.jpg

This is such a beat up Black Lotus. But it is still my first piece of power. And it feels awesome to finally have one!

big_ticket
04-19-2014, 10:36 PM

This is such a beat up Black Lotus. But it is still my first piece of power. And it feels awesome to finally have one!

beat up or not..still a black lotus..

JPoJohnson
04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Just starting out on my journey! Hoping to get my first piece in the next two months. I'll post something when I get it. I know it won't be the crispiest cards, but I hope they're looking decent. We'll see what I can afford (:

Myelectronicdays
05-04-2014, 03:03 PM
The Journey still continues.. almost there.... almost.

BIG BOY has was finally snagged. and a super crispy copy as well. i think the end is in sight? ;D

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/power_zps0b267f87.jpg

big_ticket
05-04-2014, 10:50 PM
The Journey still continues.. almost there.... almost.

BIG BOY has was finally snagged. and a super crispy copy as well. i think the end is in sight? ;D

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z238/daveg3d/power_zps0b267f87.jpg

wow ALL in NM/M condition

hope this year i need to cop one JET...

very nice :cool:

KindGrind
05-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Picked my first piece of power this week after much consideration, a NM Jet.

Went back 2 days after and picked up Sapphire, Emerald and Pearl.

I had to trade in quite a few things at my LGS for these, but it feels pretty good. I'm kicking myself for not having picked these up only 2 months ago...

I will go back for Ruby soon, but the Lotus, Walk and Recall will have to wait. Too much of a dent in the collection otherwise!

Edit: Went back for the Ruby. Don't know what I'll pick up next!

mini1337s
05-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Anyone on the fence, the investment is well worth it.
Plus, with Power, you can do activities such as
http://i.imgur.com/jFcoiFa.jpg?1

H
05-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Did you get that from someone in the NY area? It looks a lot like the first Lotus I had gotten. I subsequently sold it for the cash to upgrade it.

ant
05-24-2014, 10:08 PM
I got my first in about 1997 when a friend gave up playing and kindly dumped his cards on me. It was a NM Unlimited Timetwister that he'd pulled out of the booster and never played. There were a few more goodies in the box including Time Vault, Beta Savannah and a whole bunch of other duals – lucky me!

I finally got my ninth piece (Mox Emerald) about a month ago and ironically paid more for it than I did for my Lotus 15 years ago. It hasn't been cheap and has taken almost 20 years since I started playing in 95, but it sure feels gooood to be in the P9 club at last - pity no one plays Vintage round by me any more :laugh:

big_ticket
05-24-2014, 10:35 PM
I got my first in about 1997 when a friend gave up playing and kindly dumped his cards on me. It was a NM Unlimited Timetwister that he'd pulled out of the booster and never played. There were a few more goodies in the box including Time Vault, Beta Savannah and a whole bunch of other duals – lucky me!

I finally got my ninth piece (Mox Emerald) about a month ago and ironically paid more for it than I did for my Lotus 15 years ago. It hasn't been cheap and has taken almost 20 years since I started playing in 95, but it sure feels gooood to be in the P9 club at last - pity no one plays Vintage round by me any more :laugh:

can we see them any pics thanks :wink:

ant
05-25-2014, 08:31 AM
can we see them any pics thanks :wink:

Can’t beat mini1337s pic :laugh: but as requested here are the beasts along with some of my other favourites.

Only 4 of the P9 are NM but none of them are exactly in poor condition.

http://www.e-innovationcentre.co.uk/~ant/100_34072.jpg

By the way, when playing these things has anyone tried playing a triple sleeved deck yet? Now UltraPro are doing standard, inner and outer sleeves I'm seriously considering it.

Bed Decks Palyer
05-26-2014, 04:44 AM
By the way, when playing these things has anyone tried playing a triple sleeved deck yet? Now UltraPro are doing standard, inner and outer sleeves I'm seriously considering it.
I sleeved my deck into Perfect Fits, Ultra Pros and Your Usual Sleeves. More because of the fun I got with all the people who can't shuffle my pile, but also because I dislike to resleeve the deck every now and then, esp. because Magic players tend to not wash their hands after they urinate, defecate and eat; order kept.
It's cumbersome to shuffle, fetch and transform, but at least I somehow simulate the mental taxing of a bigger tournament. For anything beyond four rounds of Swiss I wouldn't recommend this. But yeah, the look at the other people's faces when the cards start to hail down form their hands is worth the troubles. Also, it makes several kinds of really annoying shuffle styles impossible.

Nice Savannah.

big_ticket
05-26-2014, 06:14 AM
Can’t beat mini1337s pic :laugh: but as requested here are the beasts along with some of my other favourites.

thanks that's very nice :smile:

barcode
05-26-2014, 10:24 AM

I'll be in my bunk...

mini1337s
05-26-2014, 12:03 PM
I'll be in my bunk...

Agreed! Ant, you beat my pic :P

H
05-26-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't get to have a neat story about my first piece of power because I picked up everything (but the Jet), a Workshop and two Bazaars all at the same time.

I did them get a good deal to upgrade my Lotus, so all my power is pretty clean but I do play it very often, albeit double sleeved.

I don't recommend anyone triple sleeve a deck though, my friend did it and it hardly seems worth.

anomie-p
05-27-2014, 11:44 AM
i opened my first pack of magic cards in mid-to-late 1994, it was the unlimited 60 card starter pack. Opened it up -> Ancestral Recall

(I don't have it anymore, I wish I still did - both for the value and for the 'I opened this sweet, sweet card' factor. I also wish I hadn't just played casually back then, and that I hadn't stopped playing for a long, long time, but hey, life is what it is ...)

GoblinZ
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
i opened my first pack of magic cards in mid-to-late 1994, it was the unlimited 60 card starter pack. Opened it up -> Ancestral Recall

(I don't have it anymore, I wish I still did - both for the value and for the 'I opened this sweet, sweet card' factor. I also wish I hadn't just played casually back then, and that I hadn't stopped playing for a long, long time, but hey, life is what it is ...)

Sorry to hear that, I assume at that time nobody could imagine power is so precious today, anyway openning a power is still a fantastic story for those like me never get the chance to do so.

Otherwise, I got my second piece of power, a moderately played Ancestral Recall at the price of about 600 USD. I think the price is not bad...

guillemnicolau
05-28-2014, 04:26 AM
I started my oddisey in vintage on December of the last year, when I bought a mox sapphire from a dealer, in Barcelona. I knew that it wasn't the most expensive piece, but at least was the most used mox, and I would use it in every vintage deck. After that, I started to look for the rest of power online. I got a signed ancestral recall and a signed lotus from mkm. After that, I got the jet and the emerald and a beta signed walk. A few days ago I got the time vault (I know that the moxes are more useful average, but the time vault gives me a new combo in some of my favourite decks). I'll try to get the two last moxes during the next months, but I'm not in a hurry, so I'll try to find a good offer.

http://i.imgur.com/MH0yg3O.jpg?1

anomie-p
05-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Sorry to hear that, I assume at that time nobody could imagine power is so precious today, anyway openning a power is still a fantastic story for those like me never get the chance to do so.

Otherwise, I got my second piece of power, a moderately played Ancestral Recall at the price of about 600 USD. I think the price is not bad...

Actually, after posting that yesterday ...

... I walked into my LGS last night to play legacy (they run legacy every Tuesday night, and once every couple weeks put a legacy card up as prize - last night they'd put in a Vendilion Clique) ... and the owner is going through a collection that he was selling (basically on consignment) ... and he's looking at an Ancestral Recall ... kind of rough around the edges on both the front & back but otherwise nice looking ... which, honestly, is kind of what the first one was like (I had played it w/ no sleeves a few times)

... and i kind of had this thread in my head, and I told him about how I opened one in that first pack way back ...

and then I bought it.

I won't let this one go, my boys can sell it if they want when I kick the bucket.

KIP_NZ
05-28-2014, 04:05 PM
That's the spirit! Welcome back to the club :)

KindGrind
05-28-2014, 08:56 PM
I posted 3 weeks ago because my quest had started.

3 weeks later this is what it looks like. This has been a very fun project to say the least. Even had one of my first MTG-related dreams in forever...

The funds/cards I put towards the 4th Drain I don't spend towards the Big Bad Wolf. The dilemma...!

KIP_NZ
05-29-2014, 04:50 AM
The funds/cards I put towards the 4th Drain I don't spend towards the Big Bad Wolf. The dilemma...!

Get the big boy, it's rare to play 4 drains anyway :)

pandaman
05-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Get the big boy, it's rare to play 4 drains anyway :)

Playing four Mana Drain is one of the most satisfying feelings in Magic. YawgWill? Drain. Tinker? Drain. Jace? Drain. Opponent: you seriously can't have another one of those. Time Vault? Ancestral Recall into Drain. *counts extra mana*

Nice power, fellas, beautiful!

Jerome
05-31-2014, 10:51 AM
My first was an unlimited ruby I got cheap on Ebay. Had it about a month then traded it for an emerald. Followed that up by getting a sapphire for $75 and a recall for$60. Got the rest of what I currently from a dealer I know. All I am missing now is the Pearl and the lotus :(

H
06-02-2014, 02:57 PM
These are some high quality scans:

http://i.imgur.com/1BNKwnX.jpg (http://imgur.com/1BNKwnX)

Since people seem to be enjoying some pictures, I figured I would scan some things I have around.

I first bought 8 pieces of Power, minus a Jet, plus a Workshop and 2 Bazaars. I later upgraded my Lotus to one one here.

http://i.imgur.com/D6Gc31K.jpg (http://imgur.com/D6Gc31K)

The Time Vault was bought from a local player at one of the NYSE events in New York. I had a bunch of cash on me to try to pick one up, as all I was missing at this point was a Vault. Oddly enough he decided to sell then too, so I picked it up.

http://i.imgur.com/cLILkXJ.jpg (http://imgur.com/cLILkXJ)

Here are a couple that have a real story though. The Imperial Seal I got off eBay, as I decided that I really wanted to have an English one. After staking out eBay for months, this was the first one that came up. I bought it for about $350 which seemed reasonable to me.

After seeing my English one, a friend really wanted to make his Japanese one English, so I bought the next one up on eBay for about 400 and traded it to him for the Japanese one plus some random stuff. After those two I got, they were immediately selling for 700 or so. So I guess I kind of spiked that for everyone, :eek:

The Tabernacle I found in a local shop's binder. I asked how much it was and the folks working there were told to use an out of date price guide, which had it at $40. At the time it was about $150 I think, so naturally I picked it up. For a long time it was actually the most valuable card I owned and I'm sad I don't have more.

The Candles I bought when I got back into the game in 2006, simply because I thought it was always a cool card. I payed about 40 each and never thought about them ever again, until they spiked and I was quite pleased to see I had 4.

Also, I am fine with them unbanning Library in Legacy as you can see. One came from eBay (Dan Bock I think) and the others were bought to let people split prize support.

I have a bunch of random other cards that are now expensive too (Moats, other Legends junk), but I'm not going to post too much at once.

big_ticket
06-03-2014, 01:22 AM
http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/big_ticket/MTG%20cards/ima21.jpg

still power to me,bought this baby last 4 years for $80 i didnt sleep for 3 days thinking of the card..

hope to own a real power like mox jet this year,gonna start my chase :cool:

Dessyreqt
06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Bought an UNL Timetwister a year or two ago for EDH for about $200 or so. It goes in just about every blue deck I play. Played in a proxy Vintage tournament in July and decided I wanted the whole set. Picked up a Library of Alexandria in a trade a month ago which included my foil MM Dark Confidant. I like to stick to just the original nine, but some people count it, so I figured I'd include it.

Picked up an UNL Black Lotus just this weekend at GP OKC for $1275. Most of the value came from trading in judge foils and the FTV:20 set I got at retail because I judged a SCG IQ for the store owner. The remainder of the value came from cash that I earned judging the GP and a PTQ the week prior.

I definitely didn't get into judging to collect power, but it seems to be helping me attain that goal. :)

I think I'll get the rest in this order:
Ancestral Recall
Mox Sapphire
Time Walk
Mox Jet
Mox Emerald
Mox Ruby
Mox Pearl

This is now complete. My journey lasted from 10-6-2013 to 6-4-2014 (not counting Timetwister, since I'm wasn't interested in the other power at the time.) Not sure if I want to go black. Here's the order I got them and how it happened:

Timetwister: as I mentioned in the original post, bought from the local store Area 51 in maybe 2011. I don't remember exactly when, but I remember I was unemployed at the time, making it kind of a dumb decision. Oh well, it worked out in the end.

Black Lotus: At GP OKC I traded a large chunk of my binder plus judge comp to get most of the way on a Lotus, which I had negotiated with MTG Card Market to be $1250. I paid the remainder (about $300). When I got it back to the hotel room I noticed it was in one of their "Stop and smell the Lotus" sleeves. Cute.

Ancestral Recall: I don't remember too much about this except I was at GP Albuquerque talking with the dealer about some ruling and then I say something like "well a player like Tom Martell would have a harder time convincing me he didn't know [such and such easy rule]." and then Tom Martell walks up and we have a little discussion about it. I think I was talking out of my ass though. Anyway, I do a deal with them later on a recall (must have been Channel-Fireball I guess.) I think we had agreed on $800, I don't remember. Judge foils once again got me most of the way there.

Mox Jet: I was really hoping to get a Sapphire next, so at GP-DFW (Delayed For Weather) I'm going around to the stores... no one has a Sapphire. I did however, find an otherwise perfect Mox Jet with a manufacturing score mark. I have a little discussion with the vendor about it and we settle on (I think) $725. Judge foils do the legwork yet again, but the quality of what I got lowered since OKC. Sadface.

And then there were no more GP happening in the area. I assume I had no real opportunities to pick up power for at least a year until...

Mox Ruby: One day I walk into Area 51 and I ask if they have anything good. The guy behind the counter, Chris, says "Do you want to buy an Alpha Ruby for $400?" I was kind of taken aback. I wasn't planning to drop any money any time soon on something like that. I tell him "hold this for a month, if you still have it, I'll buy it." And then I came to my senses and bought it a few minutes later. Later, he joked with the store owner "Hey I sold off that fake Ruby earlier."

Mox Emerald & Pearl (& Jet & Ruby): I'm working a PTQ in Plano in a store called Madness. This store lives up to its name, they have just about every card you're looking for, and the play area can host a 300 man tournament without spilling into any other area of the store. Chris always gives out 6 packs per player for his PTQs as well. So after the event I say I'm interested in trading my Ruby and potentially my Jet for some of the more beat up power they have. The trade ended up being the Ruby straight up for an Emerald and Pearl. I also negotiated the Jet for a more beat up Jet, the Ruby, my day's comp (which was $100 + a box) and an extra $175 from my pocket. Worth it I think.

Two pieces to go and I feel certain I've run out of options for dealing in power. Then Wizards finally does what we've all been waiting for and makes foil Force of Wills. I'm not a huge fan of the art myself, and I'm not a foil guy, plus I already own 8 Forces, but the art actually looks amazing in foil. I would say the foil Force was probably the prettiest foil I've ever owned, which again is odd because the art is meh (on a normal version it would be, at least.) Anyway, they were valuing at around $1000 off the bat, and Wizards sent me two, so I think maybe there's a possibility...

Mox Sapphire: By this point I thought I would get the Sapphire last, just because it seemed the hardest piece to get. Then one day I'm at a store holding a Modern tournament when I get to talking with a friend who was interested in getting into the judge program. I tell him I'd help him out, and at some point he asks if I had received a Force, to which I say I got two. He immediately wants to know what I want for it. I say a Sapphire or a Walk, preferably the Sapphire. He goes off and within a day or two tells me he's working on a deal with a store for a Sapphire and sends me a photo. Turns out its Area 51 again and I tell him the photo looks great. He trades off a lot of his Legacy staples (he only plays Dredge ever anyway) and gets there. We do the trade at a bowling alley and bowl with a few other friends for a couple of hours.

Time Walk: Yesterday I walk into a store that I know has a Time Walk. I'm looking to complete the trade. They don't want to do it though. This store has a hard time moving foils, and they don't like that it's basically a one-for-one. Well damn. So I find a guy in the store who's notorious for having a big collection, and loving foils. I ask him "Are you interested in a foil Force?" And he says yeah, but I probably don't have enough stuff for it. I say I'm looking for a Walk to complete my set, which he doesn't have. I tell him about how the other guy got the Sapphire to trade me for my other Force. He decides he wants it enough so he spends about an hour or so trading small cards for the Time Walk. We make the deal. I am elated. I still need a Time Vault, though.

Time Vault: I drive over to another store about 5 minutes away because I remembered they have a beta Vault in their case for a low price. I look at it, we talk price for a bit, and then I tell them I'd do $400 for it right now (to keep in line with what I paid for the Ruby.) He accepts, rings it up, and now I have a proxy-free Vintage deck!

TL;DR: Become a judge, it makes collecting Vintage a lot easier and you have something fun to do at Standard tournaments.

Image: (sorry for the glare but it was much more blurry without it)

http://i.imgur.com/xSauurW.jpg

Megadeus
06-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Wow. Very nice. I enjoyed your little stories on how you got each piece, and they look pretty good condition there. Congrats!

Whippoorwill
06-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Congrats!

Loved the stories behind each piece.

Rome
06-06-2014, 01:54 AM
I got my first power this week.

Since 10 years I am dreaming about a Time Walk! I was a little boy who played with his friends magic at school, but the power, who was around 200€ worth was far far away!

Later I started playing Legacy. It is a great format. I forgot my plan to build a Vintage Deck, but in the spring this year, there were a small 15 Proxy Vintage tournament in Vienna. I played MUD and it was great fun! I love Vintage! Nearly as much as Legacy.

But I have the same problem as 10 years earlier. I have only little money. So I had to think whats the best way to jump into Vintage.
It was clearly that I want the Time Walk, and also that I do not want Dredge!

I came to two Vintage Decks who are nice with little money. First I saw Landstill. It is possible to play without the Moxes and Black Lotus. Also Meerfolk is very nice without the Moxes and Lotus.

So I took a lot of saved money and bought a Ancestral Recall, Time Walk and 4 Mana Drains.

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/201406060734131stcgm0fan.jpg

The bleeched Mana Vault is on the Foto because it is pretty cool!

Now I try to create a Vintage scene at Vienna, and at the Eternal Weekend in Prague I will play my first real Vintage Tournament with Meerfolk.
My next targets are: Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, Library of Alexandria, Mox Jet, Mox Emerald, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl

But I think its a far way to go without much money.

ant
06-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Enjoying the stories and pics guys.

I wonder if people will soon be posting their MtGO Vintage Masters power stories here?

I have to say I much prefer the original artwork.

barcode
06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22284908/mtg/lotus.jpg

Finally. It looks like someone took a belt sander to it but it still costs :0: and makes 3 mana of any one colour and it's all mine.

KIP_NZ
06-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Finally. It looks like someone took a belt sander to it but it still costs :0: and makes 3 mana of any one colour and it's all mine.

First or last peice?

Whippoorwill
06-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Congrats on your Lotus!

barcode
06-13-2014, 09:02 AM
First or last peice?

Last!

The deck is complete. I still have to pick up a Pearl and Twister to complete the Nine but that's not a priority.

Koby
06-16-2014, 01:17 AM
New Swagyolo420blinghotsauce

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqNt74yCMAAouJd.jpg

mini1337s
06-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Done! Time Vault completes Power 10!
http://i.imgur.com/o2MTr4f.jpg?1

Traded for a pretty neat Drain too:
http://i.imgur.com/5jWeMin.jpg?1

pandaman
06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Done! Time Vault completes Power 10!
http://i.imgur.com/o2MTr4f.jpg?1

Traded for a pretty neat Drain too:
http://i.imgur.com/5jWeMin.jpg?1

Hot damn.

pandaman
06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
new swagyolo420blinghotsauce

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/bqnt74ycmaaoujd.jpg

hot damn!

thebastard2
06-17-2014, 09:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/C2VD5kQ.jpg?1

KindGrind
06-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Very clean UNL power! The Ruby and Lotus look particularly crisp...

Well done. :)

Edit: A great day for me! The Lotus completes the set. The front is not too bad, the back is played quite a bit. I don't especially like the fact that's it's signed, but it was either that or one in much worse condition.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8912/rzaqpa1bfry4pj37g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?rzaqpa1bfry4pj3)

I had to let go of my set of Workshops for the Big Boy, but I had a good price for them! I may end up buying them back somewhere down the line, but was concerned that if I didn't pick up the Lotus soon things might have gotten out of hand...

Dark Ritual
06-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Picked up my first official piece of power a couple weeks ago. A pretty beat mox jet from unlimited. This week I just got a NM- time walk. Pretty sure I'm going for the full set at this point and am planning on picking up some more jewelry soon before I get the 2 big non jewelry pieces (lotus and recall.) Have to say it feels pretty satisfying to own power 9 cards especially the time walk in such good condition.

KIP_NZ
06-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Picked up my first official piece of power a couple weeks ago. A pretty beat mox jet from unlimited. This week I just got a NM- time walk. Pretty sure I'm going for the full set at this point and am planning on picking up some more jewelry soon before I get the 2 big non jewelry pieces (lotus and recall.) Have to say it feels pretty satisfying to own power 9 cards especially the time walk in such good condition.

Welcome to the club..... the club likes pictures of your pick ups :)

PS Get the lotus sooner rather than later..... prices be cray cray now.

Dark Ritual
06-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the club..... the club likes pictures of your pick ups :)

PS Get the lotus sooner rather than later..... prices be cray cray now.

My camera is an old piece of junk as well as my phone. Don't have a scanner either. Otherwise I would. Picked up a mox sapphire and ancestral recall today so I'm essentially halfway there for most vintage decks of course I play storm combo so I will need a twister at some point but that can wait. I'm thinking really hard about whether to pick up a lotus right now for $1700 I have access to. I have the cash necessary for it but I'm unsure.

mini1337s
06-22-2014, 09:36 AM
My camera is an old piece of junk as well as my phone. Don't have a scanner either. Otherwise I would. Picked up a mox sapphire and ancestral recall today so I'm essentially halfway there for most vintage decks of course I play storm combo so I will need a twister at some point but that can wait. I'm thinking really hard about whether to pick up a lotus right now for $1700 I have access to. I have the cash necessary for it but I'm unsure.
If it's MP or better, get it sooner than later, especially in the $1700 price range.

Cards in poor condition are selling for more than $1700.

Here's some of my favourite recent eBay COMPLETED BiN's for Black Lotuses:
http://i.imgur.com/tZS2peM.png
http://i.imgur.com/vdRTdCu.jpg

Dessyreqt
06-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Haha, I recognized that top lotus right away, it belonged to the fellow who beat me in the finals of a local Vintage tourney on the 14th... he didn't play it though, said he was only proxying his lotus because of that. We had an interesting discussion about a set of power's alternate use as a down payment for a house that day...

mini1337s
06-25-2014, 07:19 PM
That Lotus has been through the ringer...

KindGrind
06-26-2014, 08:09 PM
he didn't play it though

This is interesting. What's your tolerance level on playing with Power? If I had such a beat up Lotus, I'd definitely play it.

For me, cards are playthings first and foremost. I can understand that when you're at a proxy event, you might want to leave a few things home just to avoid something like theft.

When playing home with friends, I see no reason not to play with real Power, especially if double-sleeved. Do you guys feel your cards get damaged somehow shuffling them and all? Surely a bit more than leaving them in cases... but not that much, isn't it?

KIP_NZ
06-26-2014, 10:10 PM
This is interesting. What's your tolerance level on playing with Power? If I had such a beat up Lotus, I'd definitely play it.

For me, cards are playthings first and foremost. I can understand that when you're at a proxy event, you might want to leave a few things home just to avoid something like theft.

When playing home with friends, I see no reason not to play with real Power, especially if double-sleeved. Do you guys feel your cards get damaged somehow shuffling them and all? Surely a bit more than leaving them in cases... but not that much, isn't it?

I own it to play with it. The only reason I don't play with it is I sometimes loan my power to others and play all proxies so they can get the pleasure of using a real card, if it's what I have to do to get them to turn up to vintage so be it :)

HammerAndSickled
06-27-2014, 01:33 AM
I'd assume the reason to proxy that lotus isn't for protections sake, but rather because it's likely not sleeve playable. Cards with a major crease, warping, edge wear, etc can get you DQed even if they're in a sleeve if the judge can tell the difference. I have a USea that's water damaged and it's borderline.

barcode
06-27-2014, 11:03 AM
I'd assume the reason to proxy that lotus isn't for protections sake, but rather because it's likely not sleeve playable. Cards with a major crease, warping, edge wear, etc can get you DQed even if they're in a sleeve if the judge can tell the difference. I have a USea that's water damaged and it's borderline.

I messed up a Reveillark putting a Commander deck away and it now has a vertical crease on the left side. The longer I shuffle with it in sleees the more noticeable the crease becomes on the sleeve. After a day of playing Modern Melira Pod with the `Lark I noticed it and bought a new Reveillark.

Creases will show.

Dark Ritual
06-28-2014, 08:16 PM
I messed up a Reveillark putting a Commander deck away and it now has a vertical crease on the left side. The longer I shuffle with it in sleees the more noticeable the crease becomes on the sleeve. After a day of playing Modern Melira Pod with the `Lark I noticed it and bought a new Reveillark.

Creases will show.

Yeah I once got a crease in an infernal tutor somehow and it really showed through the sleeve so I made myself get a new one. Even in a new sleeve by the end of a tournament you could notice very easily.

I did pick up the lotus and now own a set of power 9. The lotus is around MP- I'd say and is more beat than any other piece I own but it's definitely sleeve legal at least. Although I must admit it's weird having a set of power 9 but zero fetchlands, mana drain's, mana crypt, and time vault. Luckily vintage events in this area are unlimited proxies/I have time at least.

Flahertongs
07-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I wanted to share the story of my first piece of power (and making an account was probably long overdue anyway).

I started playing when I was very young, and 4th edition was still on the shelves. My brother and I used to hang out at the local card shop, where we would play our janky piles with the cool older players, and lose horribly. I remember even back then being aware of beta, dual lands, and the power 9 -even though they seemed like some kind of mysterious unattainable myth. I had never seen any power in person, only in the inquest magazines that the store owner let us look through. I didn't think I would ever see one, let alone own a piece.

I played casually for a while, before packing my cards away for years, until I rediscovered them in my last year of high school. I had a couple close friends that I started playing with, and it happened that one of them was super into broken combos (he taught me about prosbloom) and old cards...looking back now it was definitely him that started my love for Legacy. We didn't have a meta, but he had a few dual lands and other powerful cards like Oath of Druids and Gaea's Cradle that he was always beating me with. So I decided to up my game a little. Over the next few years I saved up here and there and collected some duals, Onslaught fetches, Cradles, and other stuff. I wasn't even aware of Legacy then, or even competitive Magic really, but I knew these cards were super good and I wanted to own them. Looking back now, I'm really glad I picked them up when I did.

Anyway, I moved to the 'big city' for university, and soon discovered the tournament scene. It was very small and super casual, but it was a scene with more than two other players, so I was happy. Over a couple of years I started playing small events here and there, and picking up more Legacy stuff. It was around then I discovered The Source, and began reading about Legacy. I had still never played the format, but it seemed like this was the place to be...I was always frustrated not being able to play my dual lands and fetches in Standard. But, I played a little bit of Standard here and there.

When Jace was printed I was playing Standard and as soon as he was spoiled I knew I wanted to play with a set of him. I picked up a set, and ended up building UWr 'Super Friends', which I played at a local event. I did pretty well before getting smashed by Vampires (seriously, that match-up was so hard). Looking back, the deck was pretty cash...it had 4 Jace, a foil Espeth, and 8 blue Zendikar fetches along with Colonnades and paths and other goodies.

After the tournament I thought for a long time about selling the deck before the cards rotated. I knew that I would want to keep the Jaces and fetch lands, but had planned to pick them up again just after rotation. I listed the deck on a local forum.

I didn't get any serious cash offers on it, but there was a guy who said he has a spare Mox Pearl, which he would happily trade for it, with a bit of cash. I hadn't seriously thought about owning power before, but it immediately took me back to that card store when I was young, reading Inquest Magazine and turning Erhnam Djinns sideways. He sent through a scan, and although it wasn't in very good condition, it was power! We made the trade, and I couldn't believe it when it arrived. It was literally a childhood dream come true, and such a rush.

Since then, I have picked up a few more pieces. I bought my Recall around 3 years ago, and a Library and Workshop at about the same time. Just a couple weeks ago I picked up a Sapphire, Jet, and a Time Walk. I would like to pick up the Lotus next, it’s just a matter of finding one for a good price…

At this stage they are all white-boardered which may not be the most 'pimp' but to me they are definitely special. I may attempt a Beta set one day, but I think I'll always hold onto the Mox Pearl I traded for.

http://i.imgur.com/ITdHk1r.jpg (http://imgur.com/ITdHk1r)

guillemnicolau
07-07-2014, 09:51 AM
And with the mox ruby..

http://i.imgur.com/ggWoWd9.jpg?1

Now let's think if I want to downgrade the walk to unlimited, or upgrade the other pieces..

Rome
07-08-2014, 04:03 AM
Signed Time Walk is pretty nice! I like it much!!

After the amazing Eternal Weekend in Prague, I am much more closer to the set of Power!

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/img6768thiru61mj4.jpg

Kemp
07-09-2014, 09:48 PM
I've been tempted to post this the past few weeks and am a little surprised no one else has yet

http://i.imgur.com/DR9AzBF.jpg

In case there are complaints, here are some analog preciouses for your viewing pleasure

http://i.imgur.com/YQHk0Z4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YDzvGjZ.jpg

My power story isn't very interesting. I bought a couple unlimited pieces back in 2001. Not all of them showed up because internet auctions were a lot more wild west style back then. Then within a year prices doubled and sold most of my stuff. I made another UNL attempt around 2006 and even managed to upgrade a few moxes to Beta, but then I fell in love and decided to move across the country and everything had to go...

In 2009 or 2010, it's a bit hazy, I hustled up these BB beauties and while the temptation to cash out is at an all-time high, they are incredibly hard to part with.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I'll post the rest soon!

big_ticket
07-09-2014, 10:44 PM
how much it costs the power9 on MTGO? btw thanks..

Kemp
07-09-2014, 11:50 PM
how much it costs the power9 on MTGO? btw thanks..

It has varied a lot so far. The top end I saw was about 1100 and it has been down to 500. It has been going back up lately.

mini1337s
07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
It has varied a lot so far. The top end I saw was about 1100 and it has been down to 500. It has been going back up lately.
I wish I wasn't dealing with moving expenses right now... Well, looks like I'll just have to pay more in a couple months, but I plan on buying in.
Great pictures and stories everyone.

Phoenix Ignition
07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Well I was able to get my online power before the re-spike in prices. I only got Black Lotus, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, A Recall, and Timewalk though, as I sold the rest of my drafts to trade into those.

If you're looking to get in I think the prices are going way up again though so I honestly don't know if now's the time or not. Here's a decent site to track prices (note they mark the average price though, which is really dumb because you can easily sway that number with outliers, and people never buy at the average price when given the chance). http://mtgowikiprice.com/card/vma/4/black-lotus

Offler
07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
First of the three most expensive cards to my mono-blue collection obtained last Saturday.

http://slayershrine.wz.cz/TW2.jpg

mini1337s
07-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Nice Offler!

Well I was able to get my online power before the re-spike in prices. I only got Black Lotus, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, A Recall, and Timewalk though, as I sold the rest of my drafts to trade into those.

If you're looking to get in I think the prices are going way up again though so I honestly don't know if now's the time or not. Here's a decent site to track prices (note they mark the average price though, which is really dumb because you can easily sway that number with outliers, and people never buy at the average price when given the chance). http://mtgowikiprice.com/card/vma/4/black-lotus
I'm quite happy that VMA was extended back to Khans. Hopefully the increased time-period, supply, etc helps continue to lower the price of Power. I think I am going to try and buy in around the end of August.

Whippoorwill
07-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I decided back at the beginning of the year that I wanted to work on getting a set of Power, but I was only going to do it if I was able to get the Lotus first since it was the most expensive and would make it a downhill journey. On February 2/3, 2014, I made this trade with my LGS:

http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/gallery/6232357ae86422957b38838788200ebf_thumb.JPG (http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/gallery/6232357ae86422957b38838788200ebf.JPG)

Both are played, but they're real which is what mattered to me.

After that I eventually bought 3 pieces (Sapphire, Walk, Ancestral) from online retailers. After that I decided that I was going to go through my cards and de-pimp my EDH decks and get rid of excess cards I wasn't using to see what I could get with them. Almost everything I buylisted I ended up getting more for it than I paid originally. Some were about the same as what I paid. The hardest things to get rid of were the most recent ones because I enjoyed playing them when I did play them (playset of Judge Recruiters and 3 Cradles). But in the end, my priority was finishing my set of Power, plus I had been playing other decks.

Today, my last piece of Power (Pearl) came in the mail along with some other format staples which leaves me with the following 2 pictures:

The Power:
http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/gallery/0a02a6d06f7ed52cab8c1fb0cc0d63ef_thumb.JPG (http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/gallery/0a02a6d06f7ed52cab8c1fb0cc0d63ef.JPG)

The Staples:
http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/gallery/b02602f8865438996bb249e2f96777ac_thumb.JPG (http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/gallery/b02602f8865438996bb249e2f96777ac.JPG)

Aside from the Ancestral, Walk, Sapphire & Key, everything in those 2 pictures was traded for. I still need a Library of Alexandria and a 4th Mana Drain, but those can wait. I'm just glad I finished the main goal of Power + Vault. Eventually, my next major goal will be to get a set of Workshops.

See you at Eternal Weekend 2015 (already have plans this year during that time)!

KindGrind
07-13-2014, 02:43 PM
A great trade for the Lotus / Emerald. I also traded for all of my power to my LGS, and overall I ended up giving much more than you for my Lotus, which looks like yours. When you look at the pic a few years down the line, you'll realize that trade will no longer be possible at all. Apart from Chains/Candles, all the rest can be reprinted and will definitely be.

A nice looking set here, congrats! :)

Kemp
07-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Here are the rest, and with p9 available online I don't see myself finishing this set.

http://i.imgur.com/825g96Q.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/Q7y1jWG.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/FRVKpGV.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/98MiE22.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/O1Z72li.jpg?1

sdematt
07-28-2014, 01:03 AM
That is some CLEAN beta power. Funny how I need a Jet, Emerald, Pearl, Recall, and Walk to finish my set....

-Matt

Dark Ritual
07-28-2014, 09:51 PM
That is indeed some nice beta power. Big fan. Power online is so much cheaper in comparison where an unlimited ancestral recall costs more than a set of 9 online unless it's foils.

That trade for the emerald and lotus is insanely good for you. Other than candelabra, karakas, and chains all that stuff looks to be pretty irrelevant at least price wise in a few years when it's all being reprinted and lotus is just going up to infinity.

GoblinZ
07-30-2014, 10:16 PM
I found an unlimited mox ruby at my local store at price of around 728 USD. The front is very clean and the back is SP according to Cards Condition at SCG. I don't know if it is a good price or not, because I don't want to buy any power at a high price, so I need your helps....

mini1337s
07-31-2014, 11:27 AM
I found an unlimited mox ruby at my local store at price of around 728 USD. The front is very clean and the back is SP according to Cards Condition at SCG. I don't know if it is a good price or not, because I don't want to buy any power at a high price, so I need your helps....
With the significant increase in the price of power, that price is reasonable. Assuming that Very Nice translates to SCG SP, you could offer the equivalent of $700 USD.

Higgs
07-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Completed my set yesterday (minus Timetwister, plus Time Vault), will share pictures later. Was feeling pretty mediocre compared to the pimp being thrown around here, after seeing the increased prices I'm feeling like a baller now. VMA did impact the prices afterall..

Edit: Here you go
http://i59.tinypic.com/2r1zg2t.jpg

iostream
08-05-2014, 10:46 AM
The quest begins...

http://imgur.com/N7sBuvD.jpg

http://imgur.com/EuaiGAY.jpg

Pox22
08-06-2014, 03:21 AM
I'm about to move to Boston from central IL for grad school and decided to turn my extra legacy stuff and my cube into power to get ready for the vintage scene there! My Mox Sapphire arrived yesterday in the mail and I love it. More is on the way for my Doomsday deck, so I'll upload some pictures when they all get here!

Teluin
08-07-2014, 03:08 PM

http://oi59.tinypic.com/30clqhs.jpg

Pox22
08-15-2014, 02:47 AM
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/AnthonyHarrison89/WP_20140815_001_zps4e4ff373.jpg (http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/AnthonyHarrison89/media/WP_20140815_001_zps4e4ff373.jpg.html)

After a few weeks, two Ebay auctions, a transaction on the Facebook High End Group, and a local deal with a guy cashing out, I can now play Doomsday without proxies!

Cynicath
08-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Traded for my first piece of power tonight! Feels good man :smile:

http://i.imgur.com/92ZYWb8.jpg

big_ticket
08-16-2014, 10:21 PM

what are the cards you traded for?

Offler
08-25-2014, 03:16 AM
This is actually my second P9 card... When I was paying the cash for it I was looking like the guy on that card. :D. Actually something similar happened to me when I found Flash of Insight in my cards album :D

http://www.cernyrytir.cz/images/clanky/scany/ancestral.jpg

It was sold as "lightly played", but then I checked SCG and ABU... Actually this piece is in better shape as many "near mint" they sell nowadays...

dunk
09-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Is it just me or does this look super fake?

Allcoin
09-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Is it just me or does this look super fake?

It looks to me like the border was painted black with black glossy paint.

mini1337s
09-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Almost double bought in. I will say, for all of MTGO's flaws, there is something beautiful about being able to play pantless, drop-in matches at 2AM.
http://i.imgur.com/LMNAzVa.png

JPoJohnson
09-12-2014, 12:36 AM
I will say, for all of MTGO's flaws, there is something beautiful about being able to play pantless, drop-in matches at 2AM.

Makes me want to sign up for MTGO:cry:

sroncor1
09-16-2014, 10:56 PM
I just bought in myself this weekend as I've been getting away from legacy and trying to play more and more vintage. I have the cards in real life but after a short event on Saturday I was still hungry for more vintage action so I restarted my account( I last logged on during m10) and within an hour I had a fully built grixis deck minus hurkyls recall for less than 1400. Mind you I had nothing as all I use to do on MTGO was draft before. Since then I Have probably played 59 matches. The interface is def funky and I am still mis clicking and flusterstorm is a pain but there is something beautiful about a recall on the stack then followed by five counters. I will say the meta seems odd as I have played far less shop decks than in real life.

My first piece of power came back when the moxen were like 50 bucks or so I think. It was during mirage and I dominated a sealed event with a bunch of fallen Askari. But alas I stopped playing in high school and split the cards with my buddies who all played together. I kept some stuff duals and the like. But gave them the power and I took the Star Wars cards Bc Obv that game was here to stay. Either way it would be neArly 12 years till I had another piece of power. I was shopping around and ABU games had an amazing looking alpha jet on their sight. Had to be mis marked. So I immediately bought it. And haven't looked back since. Would love all alpha but it's hard and I spent a lot of time also building a legal classic 93/94 deck.

Seth