PDA

View Full Version : The Tropical Storm (Gush Storm)

goobafish
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Glad to see a Vintage board here.

I've been playing a ton of Vintage recently and really like my list, so I figured I would share it.

Spells (44)

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Imperial Seal
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Yawgmoth’s Will
1 Tinker
3 Preordain
1 Ponder
1 Brainstorm
1 Memory Jar
4 Force of Will
2 Flusterstorm
2 Hurkyl’s Recall
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Timetwister
4 Gush
1 Fastbond
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Lotus Petal
1 Black Lotus

Creatures (1)

1 Blightsteel Colossus

Land (15)

4 Scalding Tarn
1 Polluted Delta
2 Island
3 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
2 Tropical Island
1 Tolarian Academy

Sideboard:
3 Ingot Chewer
1 Goblin Welder
1 Mountain
2 Flusterstorm
1 Duress
1 Nature's Claim
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Pithing Needle
1 Echoing Truth

The deck is basically a combination of Steel City Vault and Gush-Storm combo. It plays a wide variety of high impact cards with a wide variety of tutors. This gives the deck a lot of flexibility and allows you to play around all sorts of hate cards.

The sideboard has a really nice package against Workshop decks, including the basic Mountain that can be fetched with your Scalding Tarns. 4 Flusterstorms post-board make control matchups much easier, but decks packing the full 4 Mental Misteps in addition to Forces can be problematic.

Koby
08-03-2012, 05:30 PM
From your playing/testing, which decks does this deck shine against? Which decks does this deck have trouble against?

goobafish
08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
It shines against blue based control, combo mirrors and against workshop decks. It struggles with fish decks, especially those that replace null rod with stony silence.

PeAcH
08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Nice decklist and really different from other Gush Storm decklists lately seen being played. People say Gush is dead but it has a really lot of potential left to unveil (combo, combocontrol and control combo approaches).

I like your take on the archetype and sure SCV is one of the funniest and rawpowerish decks to play. I don´t like the Jar if you are not playing GW main. And the lonely one on the board will have trouble fighting through MM in the control matchups.

what do you side the pithing against? Do you board it vs Jace.decks?

PeAcH
10-02-2012, 08:19 AM
@goobafish

Do you think the decklist can benefit from the recent update to the B&R List regarding Burning Wish?