PDA

View Full Version : [DECK] Eggs (Second Sunrise Combo)

Pltnmngl
08-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Kind of surprised nobody made a thread after Garett Young almost top 8 GP Columbus with it. You can read about it here (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpcol12/day2#4a) and check out the match here (http://youtu.be/TGtCpCADoDI).

His list is not online, but here's one I like the most:

4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Ghost Quarter
7 Island
2 Plains

3 Etherium Sculptor
1 Disciple of the Vault

3 Lotus Bloom
2 Krark-Clan Ironworks
1 Mox Opal

4 Chromatic Star
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Ichor Wellspring
2 Elsewhere Flask
1 Pyrite Spellbomb

4 Second Sunrise
4 Faith's Reward

2 Noxious Revival
4 Reshape

There seems to be quite a few variants around. I'm sure there's a lot to experiment here. Thoughts?

nedleeds
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Seems like about the most miserable way to spend a day playing magic.

Pltnmngl
08-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Verhey talked about the deck on dailymtg.com:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/rc/209

I liked one of the comments: "My goldfish game, the final turn, took 30 min." lol

ahg113
08-28-2012, 09:14 AM
While using cockatrice to playtest, I've fallen asleep watching a dude goldfish their wins with this deck. Started the turn thinking, "Aww, that's cute, cast your bauble." Then a Faith's Reward was met with, "We're doing this again?". Followed by a Second Sunrise which illicitied, "Make the computer ding when I should care again." Wrapped up with a message, "You've been kicked from the game", a Banefire pointed at me, and a bit of drool (to set the scene.)

catmint
08-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Is it so much slower & boring than watching someone going off with high tide or elves in legacy?

ahg113
08-28-2012, 09:51 AM
High tide - push, the boring is very much present
Elves - superior combo to view

With elves, there's always the possibility they just turn them all sideways or something. And creatures are much easier to interact with if that's what you're trying to do. Also, the elf decision tree is more intricate to watch. High tide, make mana, make more mana, candle, candle, time spiral, merchant scroll, brain freeze. joy...less

All combo decks should be like Belcher- got it? FoW? gg
No point in wasting people's time.

catmint
08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I played elves and alot and I can understand it might be funny for someone who is not familiar with the deck to watch, but if the chance to fizzle is less than 1% and you have to go through the motions beeing aware of all the triggers in a competitive environment it can be more boring than high tide. At least in high tide you get to draw 7 new cards once in a while... :)

Anyway, I think complaining about the goldfish of a deck is not good sportsmanship and if you don't like to watch it just scoop.

ahg113
08-28-2012, 10:27 AM
While I agree with you in principle, I had fallen asleep unintentionally in my example. In the first game, he fizzled, so I watched, and then won. In the second game, I should've scooped, but gave it three passes of recycling baubles before the sandman got me.

I have no problem with long turns, or goldfishing. I just prefer they not go together. It is poor sportsmanship, and I wouldn't complain during a match, but it's the same vein as LD, counters, or discard- part of the game, but not something people like having done to them. If you wanna slow play resolving a thoughtseize, or study my deck off a expatriate, that's all well and good- getting your math wrong sac'ing an elsewhere flask to krak-clan and playing spells you don't have the mana for, and then going back and trying to fix it, that's just sloppy, and unnecessary.

HammerAndSickled
08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Interestingly, the guy who's list was submitted to the Gavin Verhey article (Joe Jancuk) is one of my playtest partners, and he basically said "Gavin has no idea what he's talking about" regarding the "changes" he made to the deck.

Pltnmngl
08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Interestingly, the guy who's list was submitted to the Gavin Verhey article (Joe Jancuk) is one of my playtest partners, and he basically said "Gavin has no idea what he's talking about" regarding the "changes" he made to the deck.

Lol. Can he elaborate? Has his list changed since then?

ahg113
08-28-2012, 10:58 AM
To actually talk about the deck and it's merits. I'm not sure I like it's linear agenda without either some form or protection or disruption. Conventional counter spells won't do much against this deck, as the costs are cheap and redundant. But it just seems that it could die to a swarm deck, or be vulnerable to discard. About what turn does the deck usually go off? I was experiencing turn 5 or 6, which seems a little dicey.

In principle, this seems more cute than good. While it's redundancy definitely helps it, the lack of interactiveness seems to be a downfall. What am I missing?

HammerAndSickled
08-28-2012, 02:30 PM
According to him, Gavin cut cards without really playtesting their effects. Gavin said Spellbomb was the best win condition, but it is more easily hated than Lab Maniac with Chromatic Sphere in play, which wins you the game automatically because it's a mana ability they can't respond to. It gets around worship and leyline of sanctity as well. He also runs some number of Disciple of the Vault.

Phoenix Ignition
08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
I've played against this deck on MTGO a few times (it's really cheap to make, so I see people playing it a lot). I usually lose to it, but I'm playing a deck soft to this form of combo ( death cloud (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?21748-Deck-Pox-Death-Cloud&p=666168&viewfull=1#post666168) )

Good things:
1. The combo is extremely difficult to hate, unless you prepare for it specifically.
What I mean is Grafdigger's Cage, Pithing Needle, and Damping Matrix don't stop it. These are more common forms of hate that you see going around. Relic of Progenitus can stop it, but you need to know when to blow the ability.

2. It's relatively fast, and resilient to non-specific hate. It can combo out quite early, I believe it has a turn 4 or so average. Half of the cards are cheap cantrips, and if you cantrip into a Second Sunrise you can usually just win right there. Discarding cards against it slows it down a tiny bit, not even very much. Artifact hate is about the same as discard against it.

3. Super cheap to make, super easy to play. You could program a computer to play this deck well, you basically just play everything.

4. Can use a variety of win conditions, making targeted hate less useful. Gadock Teeg can stop the x:r: spells, but not Lab Maniac. Removal can stop Lab Maniac and Disciple of the Vault, but not the x spells. Or they could even use some form of storm kill, if they really wanted to.

Bad:
1. Can lose to the right kinds of Graveyard hate (the kind that actually remove it instantly).

2. Takes for fucking ever on your combo turn. Every single time I'll play against this deck in real life (haven't yet) I will call a judge to watch them on their combo turn, both for mana tracking and for slow playing. Online I hit the "skip my response" button and browse reddit for a few minutes until I see if they either fizzled or killed me. It literally takes minutes for their turn. Yes, it takes longer than High Tide and Elves to combo out. And keeping track of mana for it in real life has got to be one of the most obnoxious things of all time.

Kanti
09-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Faith's Reward is freaking amazing, and offers this deck so much stability that it's hard not to want to play it. I played the deck like death from 2005 Extended up until last year pretty much, so it easy to fetch up my last list and make some quick changes to it. Heres the list I've been rocking these past few days;

Snow-Covered Eggs

// Lands
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Misty Rainforest
5 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Hallowed Fountain

// Spells
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Elsewhere Flask
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
4 Second Sunrise
4 Faith's Reward
4 Lotus Bloom
4 Reshape
2 Wargate
2 Mox Opal
3 Silence

// Sideboard
3 Echoing Truth
3 Torpor Orb
2 Grand Abolisher
2 Trinket Mage
2 Aether Spellbomb
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Pithing Needle
1 Engineered Explosives

edit: editing with a new decklist. Maindeck Silences are a riot in this format. Seriously amazing card to run in a deck that can handle it. Though Thoughtseize is obviously better against non-blue decks I have been able to Timewalk my opponent easily enough with Silence to make it just a little bit worse against them, but it's absolutely disgusting against blue decks.

Horizon Canopy is the nuts and warps the deck for me, allowing me to run MD hate more easily, and make all my land drops while upping my egg count. It has really just been testing phenomenally, as 20 lands is what this deck wants if it doesn't run cantrips, especially on the play.

The Abolisher was an idea I had tonight and it tested out pretty damn nicely. I was able to drop a late Abolisher against a Ugr Delver list and win (after he Pierced my Silences and threatened with Snapcaster+Pierce), then Silence>Abolisher a UWR opponent who had 2 Relics in play, allowing me to to easily get around them and all of his counters. I was also able to drop him against a UW Restoration Angel deck and play draw,go until I chumped Geist of Saint Traft with him since I could not put the combo together, then untapped and double Silenced my opponent (he cast Deprive on one of them), then Echoing Truthed his 2 Relics (he was actually able to pop 1 of them for like 2 eggs in my gy as I had to crack the eggs to draw into a land). Whoever woudn't run him because he gets hit by removal is retarded as once he resolves on your turn he protects himself as long as you don't pass the turn. This utility is making me love this guy.

Aether Spellbombs serve as a linear answer to Thalia, allowing you to keep the egg count up while being able to bounce the hagon your combo turn (this is superior to Pyrite) and doesn't force you into splashing red for EOT use. The Trinket Mage package is pretty damn nice, as you have a lot of amazing targets and are allowed to always just fetch an egg a moxen.

The Echoing Truths aren't the best, but they are pretty damn good against decks that are siding in Thalia+Stony Silence, or Stony+artifact hate, or other nonsesense like that. Whenever I replace them with something like Repeal because I'm greedy I end up getting smashed by double Relic, or a random Leyline of the Void.

Torpor Orbs are there for Pod, and only Pod. I didn't really know what to put in my last two slots (atleast 1 Torpor Orb is good in this deck as it's tutorable post-sb by Resape and Wargate) so I just decided to load up on some powerful, albeit linear, answers. I guess if I ever played against some form of Faeries that ran Spellsustters, Vendillion Cliques, and Mistbind Cliques it would be a decent card to bring in.
would love any ideas.

Kanti
09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
bump

seems like no one likes Eggs ;(

At least Ravnica has brought me a new pet card in Detention Sphere. Maelstorm Pulse in UW? It'll be replacing my Echoing Truths.

Fizzeler
09-20-2012, 05:48 PM
I have yet to test Faith's Reward, but is it worth swapping 4 Sleight Of Hands with it?

I have a deck tech on Youtube from MTGO if you want to see the list, also working on getting the Blooms for paper

Where does Apprentice fit as well not sure what to cut for him

Kanti
09-21-2012, 12:36 AM
What the hell is Aprentice?

I don't think cantrips are all too good for this deck, at least not the ones we have around. With that said I would still run Serum Visions over Sleight. Just post your list as I'm not going to go through your post history to find it ;/.

kombatkiwi
10-21-2012, 10:11 PM
First place PT RTR

Main Deck
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Hallowed Fountain
7 Island
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
2 Scalding Tarn

4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Elsewhere Flask
4 Faith's Reward
1 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lotus Bloom
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
4 Reshape
4 Second Sunrise
4 Serum Visions
2 Silence
3 Sleight of Hand

Sideboard
4 Echoing Truth
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Grapeshot
4 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Pithing Needle
2 Silence

Rest of top 8 was
1 UW Tempo
1 Affinity
1 Scapeshift
1 Infect
3 Jund

Technics
10-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Search function is your friend...

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?21759-Deck-EDNAE-(Eggs-Disclaimer-No-Actual-Eggs)