PDA

View Full Version : Order of Power

The Pharmacist
08-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm slowly getting the itch again to play vintage. A few of the people I play with are also thinking about playing. I'm not looking to get beta power because I don't think it's worth it. I traded for a Mox Jet and a Time Vault already. In what order would you try to pick up the rest of the power? Moxen 1st??

Koby
08-24-2012, 03:06 PM
I would say that Black Lotus gives you the best of the zero mana accelerators without tying you down to a specific color. After that, there comes a fork in the road -

Do you want to play a blue deck? If so, Ancestral followed by Time Walk.
Do you want to play MUD? If so, more Moxen is better.

The majority of the decks are splashing blue for Ancestral/Time Walk regardless, so those will give you a bigger edge over the other on-color Moxen.

Timetwister is basically unplayable right now.
Library of Alexandria is a good low-range (<$200) that gives you a lot of play against blue-mirrors. Might be worthwhile to pick one up along the way.

nedleeds
08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Agree with Koby. Lotus powers just about everything. Recall powers everything blue. Both along with a $5 Yawgmoth's Will get you a fair amount of degeneracy.

Pick up beat moxes as you come across them.

Some other low hanging fruit would be Mana Crypt (a little market bloat from judge foils) and maybe look for some beat Mana Drains.

Shops are a slippery slope only because of the price of shop is on par with a beat UL mox at this point ... and you really want all the moxen for shops.