PDA

View Full Version : TMWA - Budget Moon aggro

Koby
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
This deck is based upon red disruption (if one can call it that) to attack a varied Vintage metagame with minimal Power support. This deck is very similar to Legacy's Dragon Stompy, but with a stronger suite cards. We'll start with a decklist, then discuss the key cards.

Various decklists from TCdecks (http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/tipo.php?archetype=TMWA&format=Vintage)

Sample Decklist:
//NAME: The Mountains Win Again
7 Mountain
3 Arid Mesa
4 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
1 Mox Ruby - (can sub Chrome Mox)
1 Black Lotus (can sub Lotus Petal)
4 Simian Spirit Guide

3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Gorilla Shaman
2 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
3 Viashino Heretic
2 Genju of the Spires

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Red Elemental Blast
4 Null Rod
4 Grafdigger's Cage

4 Blood Moon
4 Magus of the Moon

//Sideboard
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Pulverize
2 Pyroblast
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Greater Gargadon
1 Genju of the Spires
1 Trinisphere
1 Pyrokinesis

Card Choices
Mogg Fanatic - Useful against Dredge and the recent x/1 creature push in Vintage. Typically used against the former.
Goblin Welder - Useful against Shops and Vault/Key combos. Limited uses for this deck.
Magus of the Moon / Blood Moon - The defining card for this archetype. Right now, Vintage is defined by its manabases. Workshop, Bazaar, Island-duals, Forbidden Orchard, etc. An early, unanswered Moon can spell victory.
Gorilla Shaman - The mono-red's version of Karn. Gives the deck early game disruption against powered decks. Instrumental in making sure that Blood Moon effects are effective against Powered decks by nuking colored-Moxen.
Pyroblast - A hedge against the Big Blue decks.
Phyrexian Revoker - Taking a page out of the MUD playbook, this allows you to favorable interact with permanents and continue the mana-denial plan.
Null Rod - Arguably a much better mana-denial plan against Power; but less flexible than Revoker against non-power.
Grafdigger's Cage - Keeping decks fair, since 2012.

EDIT: Lightning Bolt. Obv I forget the most obvious Alpha card.

John Cox
08-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I really think Lightning bolt deserves some mention here. It takes out Lodestone golem, fish, Bob, Snapcaster, and unlike dismember it doesn't hurt you and can kill jace.

Koby
08-28-2012, 02:20 AM
That's a very good point. This was a list pulled off a local player, and I forget why he chose Dismember. Might be against Shops perhaps? Bolt does seem like a much better choice in the current Vintage metagame.

Ozymandias
09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Dismember has a few things going for it.

1) It kills Tarmogoyf, which is important when so many of your creatures get brick-walled by it.
2) It dodges Chalice, which is important versus shops, and Misstep, which is important versus blue.
3) You can cast it off of colorless mana, which can be important if you want to keep a blast up, or if you want to use your limited red for another lock piece.

Nevertheless, Bolt is a fine choice, and I've used it in the past. Other cards to consider include

1) Wild Guess/Faithless looting--give filtering the deck sorely needs, but only good later on.
2) Ichor Wellspring--raw card advantage, but only useful with Greater Gargadon or
3) Goblin Welder-a potential wrecking ball. Cheaper than Heretic, but more fragile and not as reliable.

There are a ton of other useful crreatures out there, like Imperial Recruiter, Cunning Sparkmage, etc.

If I were going to play this deck unpowered, I would use Petal, but not Chrome Mox. You need every card you can get.

Also, Genju of the Spires may look weird, but let me tell you that card is crazy good.

xfxf
02-28-2013, 06:12 AM
I watched a match yesterday where a TMWA deck with Chalice of the Voids destroyed a blue deck. This deck seems to be able to hate anything from blue decks to Workshops (with non basic hate), why is it such a push over in the placings, what are its bad matchups?

Ozymandias
03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
1) "Good players" almost never take Mountains to tournaments. I'm literally the only person in my local meta who would even consider bringing Rods and Moons to a Vintage event.
2) It is a deck that is balanced on a knife-edge in terms of its ability to beat things. It lacks the raw power of other Vintage decks to recover from misplays.
3) Sometimes, you just get the "oh shit, wrong hate versus this deck" draws, and what can you do?

That said, this deck can beat almost anything. It has a really bad time versus a resolved Oath of Druids, as well as really fast combo.

Stan
09-10-2013, 08:34 AM
I intend to participate in a vintage tournament later this month, my first. I own a lotus and 4 out of 5 moxen (I lack the Emerald), which allows me to play a partially powered deck, probably hate.deck. The tournament will be unproxied, but it's in a club where many guys have full power and assorted goodies. I really like this deck, and I've also seen a white hate deck with Thalia and SFM/Batterskull. Would it be possible to combine both ideas in one deck?

WorldslayerGuy
11-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Got fifth place in a tournament with TMWA this past weekend. Report later this week.

klaus
01-02-2014, 05:04 AM
Needz moar Stripmine.

FTW
01-26-2014, 11:47 PM
It has a really bad time versus a resolved Oath of Druids, as well as really fast combo.

4 Grafdigger's Cage seems good...

TraxDaMax
04-04-2014, 02:56 PM
So, I have never played Vintage in my life. Will be playing this at a BoM trial, but I was wondering would this still be the build people prefer? The shell looks like Painter's/Grindstone/Welder could be used. Thoughts?
Also,Mental Misstep? Yes/No?

Edit: sidenote, I won't have any power.

Second edit: Actually painter doesn't work very well here, nevermind. Package is pretty tight.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

JPoJohnson
04-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Mental Misstep is often ran in order to protect from other missteps. With how many CMC1 spells there are in this deck, it could be useful to work some into the mix.