PDA

View Full Version : [Classic] Workshop

(nameless one)
08-27-2012, 11:43 PM
How does a Classic Workshop deck looks like. I understand it loses the Moxen and Lotus but what replacements does it have? Would it also run Slash Panther or would that depend on the build?

The reason I ask is because the locals are doing an unsanctioned "classic" tournament allowing 5 proxies.

My obvious proxies are 4x Mishra's Workshop and Tolarian Academy.

I'm thinking of Metalworker based Workshop Aggro but I am open to any suggestions. Should I run more resistors or go all in aggro?

Thanks in advance

Koby
08-28-2012, 02:17 AM
First order of business - Lands. You're going to need at least 20 of them. The deck is mana hungry and without Moxen it's going to be quite inconsistent getting 4 mana early.

Also without Moxen, your curve better reflect the nature of the deck's acceleration. You're ideal curve is 3/5/6 rather than Vintage's 3/4/6. This is in large part because you're relying on Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors to bridge gaps in your mana production otherwise offset by Moxen.

While there are many builds, The most consistent version in Classic is similar to Espresso Stax.

Serum Powder ensures you're going to find the Workshop in all games, and Leylines in post-games. The real threat for this format is Dredge. Consider picking up Tolarian Academy and using one of your last proxies on Tabernacle. This answers the slow-Dredge draw well.

Finally, a list:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
3 Ghost Quarter
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Mishra's Workshop
1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Wasteland

4 Lodestone Golem
4 Phyrexian Metamorph
2 Wurmcoil Engine

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Crucible of Worlds
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Sculpting Steel
4 Serum Powder
1 Sol Ring
4 Sphere of Resistance
4 Thorn of Amethyst
1 Trinisphere

Sideboard
3 Duplicant
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Sculpting Steel
1 Swamp

(see also, http://www.classicquarter.com for more ideas)