PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Players Championship

Phoenix Ignition
08-30-2012, 01:42 AM
Decklists up for the Players Championships... all I can say is, not a lot of variety here. I don't know what this really means, though, as the best players in general like to pick blue decks, and none of the decks we see here went X-1 or anything to get into this article. It's just the best players playing the best (in their opinions) decks.

I'm surprised there are no pod or combo decks here. All basically aggro control. No specific creature sees an appearance in all of the decks of a single archetype, but what we can see is Tarmogoyf, Snapcaster, and Geist of Saint Traft are all really damn good cards.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/tpc12/moderndecks

Koby
08-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Snapcaster is the Brainstorm of Modern.

Really sad that it's so ubiquitous.

Phoenix Ignition
08-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Agreed. It's one of those cards that you have no good way to hate out, and if you aren't playing with it you are probably going to be losing. Wasting a card to stop its ability means that they still get a 2/1 for 2 and made you cast something of your own. Not playing it means they are going to get a huuuuge card advantage and quality throughout the course of the game.

But there are some Jund decks, and affinity is always pretty strong too.

JDK
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
You have to keep in mind, that they didn't choose their decks for a normal meta game, but this very limited field. Metagaming at it's best - even though it's boring for the viewers.

Philipp2293
08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
So how many CFB members and affiliated players were among those 16?

Phoenix Ignition
08-31-2012, 03:19 PM
You have to keep in mind, that they didn't choose their decks for a normal meta game, but this very limited field. Metagaming at it's best - even though it's boring for the viewers.

True, I heard Finkel wanted to play Storm but Kibler talked him out of it due to the Rwu delver matchup being slightly worse.

JDK
08-31-2012, 06:33 PM
So how many CFB members and affiliated players were among those 16?

7: LSV, Utter-Leyton, PVDdR, Ochoa, Kibler, Turtenwald and Juza. [1]

[1] according to http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/pvs-playhouse-team-channelfireball/, but that's nearly a year old.

Koby
08-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Ya, fair tournament. *Yawn*

JACO
09-01-2012, 07:21 PM
7: LSV, Utter-Leyton, PVDdR, Ochoa, Kibler, Turtenwald and Juza. [1]

[1] according to http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/pvs-playhouse-team-channelfireball/, but that's nearly a year old.

Reid Duke worked with Turtenwald for the tournament, while Juza (still a member of Channel Fireball) actually worked with the Japanese instead for this event.

Phoenix Ignition
09-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Yasooka's deck is extremely good. It abuses Snapcaster + Eternal Witness to actually have an extremely powerful control deck. It's also quite difficult to hate directly.

Interstingly, I think merfolk will see a rise as it is one of the decks that can crush yasooka's. I also see a growing number of Aether Vial decks in the future. Modern has access to all of the best creatures, and the fact that you can slam them all in the same deck due to lack of wastelands means there are some great decks out there to still be made.