PDA

View Full Version : Sept 20 B/R Update

(nameless one)
09-20-2012, 12:08 AM
So, Burning Wish is unbanned.

Discuss.

aahz
09-20-2012, 01:53 AM
I was so pissed when Burning Wish got restricted way back when (Long could have been neutered without hitting BW). At the time, I was playing it in a weird Ubr High Tide deck that did a bunch of Yawgmoth's Will and Time Spiral shenanigans. Now you can't Wish for your Will or Spiral back though and there are those damn Workshop decks. Currently, I'm not sure exactly where it goes. It'll probably either create some new deck or do nothing at all. They are unbanning it hoping to enable combo, but I don't think it's going to work. A 2CMC non-artifact non-creature spell isn't going to fix the problem of Shops kicking combo in the balls. If they want combo back they need to unrestrict LED, but that would have all kinds of strange fallout.

Still, I'm glad Burning Wish is off the list, and I'll definitely be playing around with it soon just because I like the card and it was worthless as a 1-of.

John Cox
09-20-2012, 03:13 AM
There was a really good control list that used burning wish. It was probably a better spot for it than Long.dec at the time; I'm going to look into that. Burning wish -> tinker heh fun stuff.

yankeedave
09-20-2012, 04:21 AM
I am going to wind up my local Vintage community and rebuild my old powered Belcher list. Hours of fun for family and friends!

birds of paradise2
09-20-2012, 05:34 AM
There was a really good control list that used burning wish. It was probably a better spot for it than Long.dec at the time; I'm going to look into that. Burning wish -> tinker heh fun stuff.

Do you remember the name of the deck? I suppose you're thinking about the keeperdeck with x4 wishes? I'd love to hit up some old read on TMD.

Philipp2293
09-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Was The Shining. I guess Mon, Goblin Chieftain can tell you more ;)

socialite
09-20-2012, 08:21 AM
While Vintage tournaments have also been fairly diverse, there has been a paucity of combination decks. Burning Wish is a strong combination enabler. It was first printed in Judgment in May 2002 and restricted in January 2004. At the time, quick-kill combo decks were dominating. Since then, the DCI has unrestricted many Vintage cards, and the restricted list is smaller today than it was in 2000 or any time since then. Continuing in this long-term trend, Burning Wish is unrestricted.

I'm having trouble understanding why Burning Wish will help reinvigorate combination decks. It does nothing to solve the issue of Mindbreak Trap, Mental Misstep, Flusterstorm, and the continued printing of hate bear after hate bear. The functionality after the RFG nerf is rather lackluster without the presence of LED as a four of. I just do not see this being viable in modern Vintage.

nedleeds
09-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Channel. That is all.

Koby
09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
The best card that BWish can and should be getting is Meltdown or Shatterstorm, sadly. All the good broken cards you would want to get are restricted and belong in the maindeck.

Esper3k
09-20-2012, 11:48 AM
The best card that BWish can and should be getting is Meltdown or Shatterstorm, sadly. All the good broken cards you would want to get are restricted and belong in the maindeck.

Bwish for Mind's Desire? :)

yankeedave
09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Bwish for Mind's Desire? :)

Burning Wish for Petals of Insight?

bowvamp
09-20-2012, 02:19 PM
BWish for Wheel of Fortune? Show and Tell? Honestly I can't see the utility when Demonic Consultation isn't really played.