PDA

View Full Version : [MCD] Less used tutors/1-shot card advantage

bowvamp
09-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Ok, here are a couple cards that don't see much play for a reason unknown to me:
Demonic Consultation
Ok, I know it isn't incredible for toolbox decks with a lot of 1-ofs, but I imagine it could work in some kind of deck. 1 mana demonic tutor?
Imperial Tutor
Vampiric Tutor is very good at endstep/upkeep. But Imperial Tutor works pretty well in decks with the ability to draw in their mainphase. At worst, you wait a turn. I mean even ponder sees some play.
Meditate
Seems pretty good for storm. Ok, I know storm isn't much of a force atm.
Timetwister
Particularly in control where you want to wipe what they've tutored for/their gy and refill your hand.

John Cox
09-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Imperial seal:

Imperial seal is a mystery to me as well, I think it's the whole sorcery thing. That makes it harder for drain decks to justify, Still it's a powerful effect.

Demonic Consultation

Demonic consultation, my experience is that unless you build around it, you get screwed. I think that people don't play with it because they think they will get screwed.

Meditate/timetwister

There's better things for draw engines than these right now, that's my opinion at least.

nedleeds
09-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Timetwister is still a fine card, but storm in general is pooned pretty hard by shops and the printing of Flusterstorm.

Consultation is the most powerful tutor if you were to unban it in Legacy (4 of's). In vintage though, setting up a win with it will often involve one or more restricted cards (i.e. Yawgmoth's Will or Black Lotus). It's still a powerful card in redundant disruptive decks. A deck built around max hand disruption (4 x thoughtseize, maybe even Hymn) or a 2 card combo deck where both halves are 4 of's ... Helm Leyline, Hex Depths.

Seal is a sorcery issue, also a cost issue it's an obscenely expensive card. You also reach a point in vintage when you look at your U/b/x/x deck and find you have no business cards and only tutors / filter / search and counter magic.

bowvamp
09-24-2012, 08:24 PM
I wasn't really suggesting Timetwister for storm. Even then, I don't think it's played all that much. I like that it is gy hate, tutor hate, and a CA engine all wrapped up into one. It seems good in decks that play the usual suite of broken cards.

But yeah, it's pretty easily easily explained I guess. I was just hoping that there were other reasons.

Phoenix Ignition
09-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Timetwister is banned, do you mean Time Spiral

socialite
09-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Timetwister is banned, do you mean Time Spiral

Hi, welcome to the Vintage forum.