PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] UBx Delver Shadow

4eak
09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
After glancing through the legacy thread on this deck, I thought I would try to make it in modern. I have no idea if this is a decent strategy, nor do I know if it is worth splashing for red.

Here's a list that I was thinking about:

// Lands - 20
4 Watery Grave
3 Blood Crypt
3 Steam Vents
1 Swamp
1 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Verdant Catacombs

// Creatures - 16
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Death's Shadow
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Dark Confidant

// Hurt - 16
4 Thoughtseize
4 Dismember
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Gut Shot

// Seems Good - 8
4 Spell Pierce
4 Lightning Bolt

Seems like you could get down below 13 by turn 3 or 4 with some consistency (could technically kill yourself on turn 1). Mutagenic Growth doesn't seem good enough.

peace,
4eak

Phoenix Ignition
09-25-2012, 12:25 AM
There's so much more red in Modern and one of the most popular decks is UWR delver, which I can't imagine is going to be a good matchup in any respect.

To top it off modern's best removal is Path to Exile, and you don't have any good counterspells like Force of Will to protect your guy (or Stifle + Daze to effectively tempo stuff out).

For all of the tempo shells I've ever tried to run in Modern, none of them have worked just due to the pay-only counters.

CookedChestnuts
09-25-2012, 07:10 PM
That's basically it. All the burn decks will burn you, and cards like Terminate/Maelstrom Pulse/Go for the Throat/Path to Exile/Abrupt Decay all deal with Death's Shadow.

The idea fundamentally works in Legacy because you have powerful spells like Brainstorm and Hymn to Tourach to level the fields, and Force of Will to counter the last few points of burn. Also, the only spot removal spell is Swords to Plowshares/Path to Exile, so just having to counter that or a Jace is what will win you the game.

Wangtopia
09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
With the unbanning of Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, I would think burn style decks are going to become even more popular. I love the idea of this deck though. Always thought Death's Shadow was a fun card.

JDK
09-26-2012, 07:41 PM
There's so much more red in Modern and one of the most popular decks is UWR delver, which I can't imagine is going to be a good matchup in any respect.

To top it off modern's best removal is Path to Exile, and you don't have any good counterspells like Force of Will to protect your guy (or Stifle + Daze to effectively tempo stuff out).

For all of the tempo shells I've ever tried to run in Modern, none of them have worked just due to the pay-only counters.
On top of that, you are playing into Storms hands. Your discard/counter suite is weak and you have to pay two life, which means Storm will more likely kill you anyway.

E17
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I actually made a U/B/g version with Tarmogoyf. It seems to do well and can get down a quick clock against combo. I imagine burn will be a problem, but it might be a deck you just know you are a dog to.

I run 8 discard spells and 6 removal spells (4x Dismember 2x Abrupt Decay). I am also running Spell Pierce and Spell Snare.

Delver is sometimes a 1/1 which hurts the deck. Perhaps dropping him all together and having 4 Tarmogoyf, 4 Snapcasters, 4 Bobs and 4 Death's Shadow.

This is what I am currently running:

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Death's Shadow
3x Dark Confidant
3x Tarmogoyf

4x Probes
4x Sleight of Hand
3x Spell Snare
3x Spell Pierce
4x Thoughtseize
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Dismember
2x Abrupt Decay

4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Misty Rainforest
2x Scalding Tarn
2x Watery Grave
2x Breeding Pool
1x Overgrown Tomb
3x Darkslick Shores

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

E17
10-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I ran a U/B/g list a couple weeks back and went 6-0. I beat Affinity, Poision, RUG Delver, Jund, and two brews. I have so much disruption that my opponents would not really interact very well.

I acutally took out the Delvers and put Deathrite Shamans in its place. At the time of the tourny, I only had 3 Deathrite Shamans so I played a 4th Goyf. The Shaman was really good and allowed me to deploy my distrubtion even faster with the mana accel. Later in the game, it was able to "burn" the opponent out.

If you have been running the list, let me know how it has been going for you.

E17
11-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Went to another touney today and got 3rd out of 23 people. The deck is running smooth and Shaman continues to be a good reason to play the deck. Jund can be difficult since they have good top decks but for the most part, once the hand has been crippled, I can usually take down the game in 2-3 turns. I have only played against Eggs once and without play testing against it, I performed well beating it 2-0 today. I have yet to have trouble with Poision, mainly because of Dark Blast. The same with Affinity.

I did lose to R/b burn. I consider this the match up that I am ok with lossing. Since so many people are trying to play combo decks, the deck has been performing well. I have also added Shadow of Doubt to help shore up the Scapeshift and POD decks.