PDA

View Full Version : Grixis Faeries

HopDizzle
09-25-2012, 06:06 PM
This is the list I plan on testing for Modern. I like playing these three colors and enjoy the power level that faeries bring to the table.

Lands (23)
4x Watery Grave
4x Steam Vents
3x Mutavault
4x Scalding Tarn
3x Island
3x Swamp
2x Tectonic Edge

Creatures (12)
4x Spellstutter Sprite
2x Snapcaster Mage
3x Vendilion Clique
3x Mistbind Clique

Artifacts (4)
4x Aether Vial

Sorceries (4)
4x Inquisition of Kozilek

Planeswalker (2)
2x Liliana of the Veil

Instants (15)
4x Remand
3x Cryptic Command
2x Mana Leak
2x Go for the Throat
4x Lightning Bolt

CookedChestnuts
09-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm not going to lie, this deck looks embarrassingly terrible. Red for only Lightning Bolt? Maybe some bad board options? And because of this, you feel like you need to play 4 Steam Vents?

Only 4 fetchlands? UB Faeries has proven to be worse than UR Faeries, and you're combining the worst of the worst. UR Faeries is great because it not only has Lightning Bolt, it has Grim Lavamancer and Blood Moon. Believe it or not, these cards are the reason to play red, not Lightning Bolt.

What else can I chew on... 8 shocklands is absurd. Legacy decks don't play 8 dual lands. Cryptic Command should be a 4-of, and your mana base can't really support Tectonic Edge. The Mana Leak/Remand should be a 3-3 split, not a 4-2.

Perhaps I can point you in the correct direction?

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=379200

Mr. Safety
09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I think if you're going to splash red then you need these cards:

Terminate
Grim Lavamancer

I can imagine those beside Bolt to make the deck better, but only red for bolt seems bad.

I also can't imagine why, for the life of me, that you would want Aether Vial in this deck. You are playing faeries, one of the best draw-go decks of all time. Your threats have flash, seriously WTF?

Rough list (that I think would still be bad):

4x Spellstutter Sprite
3x Mistbind Clique
3x Vendilion Clique
3x Snapcaster Mage
3x Ninja of the Deep Hours
2x Grim Lavamancer

4x Lightning Bolt
3x Terminate
3x Mana Leak
3x Remand
4x Vapor Snag
2x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Duress

4x Scalding Tarn
2x Misty Rainforest
2x Marsh Flats
2x Steam Vents
1x Blood Crypt
1x Watery Grave
3x Island
3x Swamp
2x Mountain
1x Ghost Quarter

That would be a fairly strong tempo deck, Ninja and Snapcasters giving you a lot of card advantage. I don't like Cryptic Command in a 3 color deck, its just too tough to pull off (IMHO.)

I really like Vapor Snag for a deck like faeries...it provides a big tempo loss, feeds your graveyard for Grim Lavamancer, gets threats back to hand so you can counter them, or just clear the path for Ninja while pinging for 1.

baghdadbob
09-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Nice list Safety. :smile: I would conider cutting a Clique, as good as it is for a singleton of cryptic command. It really is THAT good.

Mr. Safety
10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Yes, I know it's THAT good...it just takes A LOT of careful planning/fetching to be able to do it turn 4+. Grims provide reach and Mistbind Clique giving you a Time Walk, while beating for 4, seems to be much better. I can't argue with Cryptic's goodness, but it feels mid-range when you really want to be playing tempo. *shrug*