PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Shamanism

LeaPlath
10-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Hey there.

I'm kinda new to the modern format and I've been working on this deck. It was based off a Shaman deck I saw and liked. I've tweaked it and tried to improve it, and this is the result.

Creatures:
4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Bosk Banneret
3x Burning-Tree Shaman
4x Elvish Visionary
2x Flamekin Harbinger
2x Leaf-Crowned Elder
4x Rage Forger
1x Thrun, the Last Troll
2x Treefolk Harbinger
4x Wolf-Skull Shaman

Instants/Sorcerys:
3x Lightning Bolt
3x Lead the Stampede

Enchantments
4x Rancor

Lands
2x Cavern of Souls
4x Copperline Gorge
6x Forest
4x Rootbound Crag
4x Stomping Ground

Sideboard:
2x Thorn of Amethyst
2x Relic of Progenitus
4x Vithian Renegades
3x Goblin Ruinblaster
3x Obstinate Baloth
1x Surgical Extraction

This deck focuses on using the synergy of multiple shaman. One of the cards that helps make this deck work is Bosk Bannerette. Reducing the cost by one of all shaman means that I can start playing a lot of creatures.

Elvish Visonary becomes a 1/1 for G who replaces herself. Burning-Tree is a 3/4 for RG. ETC.

The Win Con comes from Rage-Forger. Once he hits the field, all of my shaman get buffed up, and Bosk becomes immune to bolt. I can then swing for 1+ unblockable damage and all my shaman. Rancor on top of that gets pretty crazy.

In testing on cockatrice, I've beaten faeries and jund, but Jund is kinda hit and miss. I either explode and begin doing lots of damage very quickly, or I durdle and lose my bosk.

So any advice on how to improve this? Part of me is tempted to go Naya shaman, so I can run Helix and other W/G or R/G good stuffs for removal.

Hireax
10-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Hi! First of all, welcome to this forum :).

To make card tags for your deck you can do the following: [.Cards] cardname [./cards], remove the dots when using this and you can view your deck like this:

4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Bosk Banneret
3x Burning-Tree Shaman
4x Elvish Visionary
2x Flamekin Harbinger
2x Leaf-Crowned Elder
4x Rage Forger
1x Thrun, the Last Troll
2x Treefolk Harbinger
4x Wolf-Skull Shaman

Instants/Sorcerys:
3x Lightning Bolt
3x Lead the Stampede

Enchantments
4x Rancor

Lands
2x Cavern of Souls
4x Copperline Gorge
6x Forest
4x Rootbound Crag
4x Stomping Ground

Sideboard:
2x Thorn of Amethyst
2x Relic of Progenitus
4x Vithian Renegades
3x Goblin Ruinblaster
3x Obstinate Baloth
1x Surgical Extraction

Regarding the deck; it seems fun and explosive when you open with the right cards in your hand, however, when you lack a cost reducer (Banneret) you will be unlikely to hit four mana of this landbase (I think at least).
Would it be worthwhile to see whether it is possible to improve your chances on getting a Banneret out early?

Love the idea and flavour of the deck :). I'll be following closely

LeaPlath
10-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Hi! First of all, welcome to this forum :).

To make card tags for your deck you can do the following: [.Cards] cardname [./cards], remove the dots when using this and you can view your deck like this:

Ahhh, thanks. Was posting quickly and wasn't sure if I had to do it for each one. Will do that now.

Regarding the deck; it seems fun and explosive when you open with the right cards in your hand, however, when you lack a cost reducer (Banneret) you will be unlikely to hit four mana of this landbase (I think at least).
Would it be worthwhile to see whether it is possible to improve your chances on getting a Banneret out early?

Love the idea and flavour of the deck :). I'll be following closely

Yeah, it is a pretty fun deck, if the openning hand is good.

I do have cards to help increase hitting my chance of Bosks. Treefolk Harbinger puts a Bosk or a forest on top of my deck so I can grab Stomping Grounds or Bosks. I'll look into adding more though, gonna update my first post with info on each card and why.

Hireax
10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Ah yeah of course that helps too! I think this deck would be really profiting from Commune with Nature to have a T1 alternative to find something fancy. Maybe even as a 4-off, because it can find something relevant the entire game.

Besides, with the number of creatures you run, you are likely to hit something good.

LeaPlath
10-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I made a bit edit to my deck list but lost it :<

I tried that card, and while it was cheaper, it just replaced a card in my hand. I could just run Treefolk Harbinger and get out lands too.

I've been trying it and these how my match ups tend to go:

Jund - I explode before they can start killing my stuff and win quickly before Tarmy gets big or I find myself Boskless and struggling. I have very little response when I start struggling.

Control in general - Caverns makes it a lot easier, declare Shaman, and keep going. So long as I don't get boardwiped and no way to replenish my hand.

Tron- One of my funniest matchups. Game one, I keep swinging and try to win before they can go tron on me. Game two, I side in ruinsblaster and Surgical and extract their urzatron lands.

Any other suggestions.

Phoenix Ignition
10-06-2012, 02:02 AM
The problem I'm seeing is lack of disruption of the opponent's game plan in this deck. Green red doesn't give you a lot of options to beat out combo-style decks, or to preemptively hand-hate things like Wrath of God. That's a strategy that can work, but then you need to be outpacing your opponent, which you likely won't be able to do when running cards like Lead the Stampede. On turn 3 you don't want to be tapping out to fill your hand up, with the number of creatures you're playing you'll want to be killing them by unloading your hand well into the mid game.

Bloodbraid Elf is probably enough to give you card advantage. Huntmaster of the Fells is one of the best creatures in the format, in my opinion, so even though I recommend you try to speed up the deck, I think you could definitely use a few in here. How against a splash are you? This deck would be pretty great for Thalia or maybe just maindeck Thorn of Amethyst (not a huge fan of the latter) what with all of your creatures.

MGC_player
10-16-2012, 12:01 AM
I used to have something like this back in the day. I can probably give you a few ideas.

Other shamans you might want to consider

Eternal Witness
Fulminator Mage
Fauna Shaman
Goblin Ruinblaster
Lightning Crafter

Fauna Shaman could probably in the main deck.

LeaPlath
12-11-2012, 05:34 AM
So I've kind of given up on this deck I am afraid.

In testing, I've found that post siding I do well versus Tron and Affinity, but otherwise it is just a race. Jund is hard unless I get a perfectly aggressive hand.

If anyone else wants to take it over, be my guest. I ended up going for a Black splash to make it Jund shaman as they gave me access to some extra tools. Mostly Abrupt Decay and Deathrite Shaman.

LeaPlath
04-17-2013, 07:35 AM
I know I said I abandoned this but with some recent additions, I've found some cool stuff to add to it.

Bloodbraid Elf was a card I wanted to drop because it didn't fit them theme and didn't have quite as much synergy as other cards. But on the other hand, it was a 3/2 haster for 4 which could play any other creature or card off my deck and helped my board presence. When it went, it sucked but we got a new card that can make up for it with some very explosive plays.

Burning Tree Emmisary is basically a free 2/2 shaman, and I can basically dump my hand quickly on turn 2, then go turn 3 Rage Forger. With a god hand, you can do 18 damage on turn 3 using the shaman, and even if you don't get a god hand, chaining a burning tree into bosk is fantastic.

I am also looking at capping out the curve at 3 mana and then dropping all none shaman creatures except Flamekin Harbinger. With burning tree emmisary, you can live without bosk . In their place I can run more Bolts, Rancors and Stampedes.

Another thing I am considering is Domri Rade in place of Stampede. He can fetch a Rage Forger off the top deck, fits the theme and his abilities are all useful at diffrent times. He is also repeatable but my only worry is he will die without netting me much advantage.

Another shaman I'm looking at running is Essense Warden. While life gain isn't that big for an aggro deck like this, it is still useful. And being a 1 drop shaman is pretty useful, for Rage Forger.

Then for the sideboard, there are a couple of cards I am considering.

Deathrite Shaman is the obvious one. It is not only a shaman but it is also a fantastic card. I am even considering running some Blood Crypts and Overgrown Tomb mainboarded to take advatange of his shock ability as well. He is also a 1/2 so he can be a small speedbump if need be, or become a 2/3 to swing in depending.

Gruul Charm can break board deadlocks by letting me swing in for lethal, as well as the ability to kill all 3 toughness flyers.

I'll post up my full current list later.