PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] GW Enchantment Control

magicmoocow
11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Probably too slow for the format, but this is a good place to post my thoughts!

Sphere of Safety from Return to Ravnica seems like a good, defensive card to build around.

Crude List:
4 Arbor Elf

4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Abundant Growth
4 Fertile Ground
4 Ghostly Prison
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Luminarch Ascension
2 Sigil of the Empty Throne
4 Sphere of Safety
1 Greater Auramancy

2 Idyllic Tutor
2 Open the Vaults

4 Temple Garden
6 Plains
9 Forest
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats
1 Arid Mesa

Crude Sideboard
4 Condemn
4 Day of Judgement
2 Stony Silence
4 Rest in Peace
1 Runed Halo

Many other options...
Faith's Fetters
Leyline of Sanctity
Prophory Nodes
Nevermore
Wheel of Sun and Moon
Aura of Silence
Choke
etc.

Thoughts anyone?

(nameless one)
11-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Would Aura of Silence be fast enough to stop Affinity/Eggs?

Also, how do you deal with Infect/Nivmagus combo?

m00se
11-02-2012, 06:44 AM
First off, I do not believe an Enchantress/Enchantment based deck currently has the card selection to sustain itself as a competitive presence in this format (either aggro a la Kor Spiritdancer/Uril or prison style, like this). However, it is clear a modern deck can be just alright or even decent, especially in a field where many tier-1 decks are not present. Which is why I myself have put time into this as Enchantress is a lot of fun and it's refreshing playing new things.

A second note before I get into my deck is I think while Sphere of Safety is a great card, it's really not necessary over Ghostly Prison. What makes it so hard to like is that it realistically will drop turn 4 (or 5 if you don't draw into early ramp) which is simply not fast enough against aggro decks. I don't object to 4 prisons and 2 or even 1 Sphere though, just as a 5-6th slot. I'm only worried that you will see too many of these effects and that results in poor draws. 1 Ghostly Prison is really no different than 2 Ghostly Prison against a creature heavy deck such as Jund.

Here is the list I have been working on for the past few months (off and on).

Creatures:
4 Mesa Enchantress
4 Verduran Enchantress

Enchantments:
4 Aspect of Mongoose
3 Faith's Fetters
4 Fertile Ground
4 Ghostly Prison
3 Luminarch Ascension
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Prison Term
3 Story Circle
4 Utopia Sprawl

Lands:
6 Forest
4 Misty Rainforest
6 Plains
4 Temple Garden

Sideboard:
4 Aura of Silence
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Prison Term
4 Rest in Peace
4 Leyline of Sanctity

The Kozilek is so I don't get milled (I intend to play this at a local non-tier-only modern tournament, so naturally I expect to see some mill decks). I'm not sure how valuable Rest in Peace will be, but Leyline of Sanctity takes care of a lot of the weaker aspects of the deck in certain match ups. I also think Privileged Position or Greater Auramancy deserve a spot in the mainboard, but Idyllic Tutor is not necessary in most games since you eventually draw what you need with the Enchantress'. I haven't had time to go over the deck in the past few weeks but I realized that the deck currently dies to a Slaughter Games / Surgical Extraction > Luminarch Ascension so a second win con will need to come in (I'm thinking a singleton Sigil of the Empty Throne. Other cards that I didn't like but could work are Hoofprints of the Stag and Sacred Mesa. I have also thought about some manlands for this reason (Treetop Village or Stirring Wildwood) but Utopia Sprawl's Forest only restriction makes me hesitate when replacing any green sources with non-forests.

Last thing I can remember off the top of my head is Choke is an amazing SB card if you know meta well enough.

Anyways, just sharing my experiences while working on a similar deck.

(nameless one)
11-02-2012, 06:54 AM
You're already running 18 aura spells, why not utilize Spiritdancer?

sporenfrosch1411
12-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I think he plays Mesa and Verduran Enchantress here because of the following cards
3 Luminarch Ascension , 4 Oblivion Ring, 4 Ghostly Prison, 3 Story Circle (+ if you want to count the sideboard: 4 Rest in Peace, 4 Aura of Silence).
This sums up to 14 cards which spiritdancer wont trigger on.(more if you are willed to count the sideboard depending on what you side in/out).

Nothing fancy, but this list (http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=9187&iddeck=67163) is a take on how it could be done. No big tourney there, far from an optimal list in my opinion, but somewhat interesting. I would try to get this more in a direction of combining Spiritdancer with low cost totem armor.

Tanith
01-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi everyone, I'm knew to this kind of deck. I have a couple of decks ready to play in modern (UR and Walkers Control), but I have always love Enchantress deck in Legacy but due to some money issues, I haven't been able to complete that deck ... yet.
So I'll try the one in modern, which I have lot of cards for.

My first build (24 hours ago, haha), and which hurts in the eyes (I advice :) ) was something like this:

-3 Auratog
-4 Messa Enchantress
-3 Kor spiritdancer
-4 Verduran enchantress
-4 Oblivion ring
-3 ghostly prision
-1 Sigil of the empty throne
-1 Sacred Mesa
-1 Luminarch Ascension
-4 utopia sprawl
-4 Aspect of Mongoose
-4 Fertile ground
-2 Crystallization
-2 Canopy Cover
-3 Faith's Fetters
-18 lands

This was the way I thought my deck: ramp and play on of our win conditions: auratog, kor spiritdancer, sigil of the empty throne, sacred mesa or luminarch ascension.

Yeah, I know, I told you it will hurt you

So after one afternoon of testing, and after playing again BG Pox, BG zombies, RB burn and normal Burn I made the next changes:
-Lands: go up to 20. Many 3, 4 and 5 CMC cards
-Finishers: remove auratog and add 2 sigil of empty throne having a total of 3. Remove the luminarch ascension, but no the sacred mesa.
-Enchantments: add 1 ghostly prison more, 3 Faith's Fetters, 2 story circle and remove 1 nimble mongoose.
-Creatures: remove 3 auratogs and 1 verduran enchantress

I was playing more comfortable, not having so much mana problems, just twice got out of mana. I found also, we have no so many T1 ramp enchantments.
I talked to a friend and suggest me to run 4 rancor (and auratog, infinite combo!) along with the 4th kor spiritdancer and run 8 totem armor enchantments (hyena umbra and spider umbra). This last idea of running those armor was suggested in other forum I usually post.

I don't like, on the other hand Aspect of mongoose. Not being able to target my own enchantress wasn't something helpful at any time of any match. canopy cover was awesome, by the way.
I really like running 4 Oblivion ring, 4 ghostly prison, 3 Faith Fetter's and 2 Crystallization. Our deck is slow and those card are perfect to stop nearly everything. Also I run Sphere of safety in the Sideboard. Just in case.

So its like we have 2 ways to run this deck: aggro style with auratog along with kor spiritdancer and lot of auras, or more controlish style without those and I guess with more enchantments cards being luminarch ascension, sigil of empty throne and sacred mesa our finishers, although I'm trying to mix them. Maybe I'm doing that wrong.

Of course in the sideboard 4 leylines of sanctity I found them really necessary. Against Affinity how about running Stony Silence over Aura of silence?

I think thats all. Thank you for reading and I'll keep trying new things and learning from you people who know this much more better than I do. I'm here to learn and have fun, so feel completely free to criticize the list. Ohm, also, how can I put the card tag?