PDA

View Full Version : Esper Trading Post

monovfox
11-19-2012, 01:00 AM
So I have been toying around with a Trading Post deck for a while. Looking at the recent results of GP Chicago I saw two things: One, Lingering Souls is a staple of modern. Two, Deathrite Shaman is a staple of Modern. (you literally cannot escape it). Knowing these two things I went to work on my trading post deck from Standard and tried to figure out what made it successful. Theory crafting, I figured out that Trading Post requires lots of stuff in your graveyard, and generally lots of graveyard shenanigans to be good. Looking at modern, I needed a way to get lots of stuff into the graveyard, while not dying too soon. So I threw in some dredge cards and Academy Ruins. Excellent synergy. Now, since lingering souls is a card, I knew I wanted both white and black. This meant my deck was now in Esper. What's in esper? Tamiyo, and Tezzeret. Why Tamiyo? Because I hate Deathrite shaman. So now I have cards that I can pitch to Trading Post for no downside, a way to deal with faster decks, and a way to deal with affinity (hopefully). With the addition of white, we also have contracted Supreme Verdict. It's awesome. It's un-counterable. It's a boardwhipe. Jund hates it almost more than it hates engineered explosives. It's just awesome.

So now, we have a short list of things that we want in the deck:
Tamiyo
Tezzeret
Lingering Souls
Supreme Verdict
Academy Ruins
Anything that Dredges

Core trading post cards:
Wurmcoil Engine
Solemn Simulacrum
Ichor Wellspring (unless we find something better)

What the sideboard primarily needs to address:
Graveyard hate
Artifact hate

So now, after hearing my theorycrafting speech, here's the deck:

3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
4 Trading Post
3 Talisman of Dominance
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2 Darkblast
2 Stinkweed Imp
1 Batterskull
2 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Talisman of Progress
3 Ichor Wellspring
2 Supreme Verdict
2 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Plains
3 Swamp
1 Island
2 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Darkslick Shores
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Drowned Catacomb
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Watery Grave
2 Academy Ruins
2 Hallowed Fountain
3 Lingering Souls
2 Phyrexia's Core

Although I have not had that much of an opportunity to play this deck, it just wrecks. The artifact recursion just wrecks face. It does have a little bit of trouble against deathrite shaman (I love my wurmcoils 3: ), and post board it has lots of trouble. It has proven to be a fairly solid deck. The affinity matchup is weird. It essentially comes down to "do I have a darkblast in hand?". Generally speaking, the goal of the deck is to durdle until you get tamiyo's ult popped with a lingering souls, a tezzeret and some artifacts, or a wurmcoil-trading post loop going. Anyways, I'd like to hear some thoughts on this deck. Thanks for reading.

monovfox
11-20-2012, 11:57 PM
further testing led me to play it in bant. Bant has a few more things to offer (such as dorks) while maintaining what I believe to be the core of the deck (trading post and thopter foundry)

3 Trading Post
1 Thragtusk
3 Thopter Foundry
2 Azorius Signet
2 Selesnya Signet
1 Thoughtcast
3 Ichor Wellspring
3 Tezzeret the Seeker
2 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Supreme Verdict
1 Darksteel Citadel
2 Academy Ruins
3 Ghost Quarter
4 Path to Exile
2 Razorverge Thicket
3 Breeding Pool
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Temple Garden
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Island
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Mox Opal
1 Life from the Loam
2 Explore
2 Crucible of Worlds

sideboard
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Lingering Souls
4 Torpor Orb
2 Terminus
2 Myr Retriever

(nameless one)
11-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I was going to suggest Tumble Magnet, but that could even be too slow. Based on your list, green only offers Thragtusk and Loam.

I don't think Loam is such a good idea. You're not really getting much out of it and with Deathrite Shaman all over, you risk your bomb spells and creatures and lands getting exiled.

Black doesn't really offer much too outside board control (and possibly discard), but that's something white cannot offer. Although things like Smallpox are something to consider.

Also, Academy Ruins and Engineered Explosives seems like it shouldn't leave the 75.

PS. Can you sort your list out based by land/creature/other spells. It's more appealing and easier to analyze it like that.