PDA

View Full Version : Necropotence (Casual super-budget vintage)

Jenni
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
So I've been toying around with casual-vintage decks, and a friend was asking me why necro was banned in legacy, so I made this deck inspired by old necro decks. Notably, the inspiration was the older style necro decks, not the later combo decks that used necro essentially as a tutor for combo pieces and protection. The biggest change is I removed all the creatures - no hypnotic specters, no pump knights, none of that - instead focusing on more drain effects and ways to make use of the surplus life the deck generates to further my advantage, like using Death wish and a wish board to act as essentially a vampiric tutor for various effects, like extra removal vs creatures, mindbreak traps vs storm, strip mine vs anything with land, or just more drain effects to help close out the game faster.

Card Advantage:
1 Necropotence
1 Yawgmoth's Will
4 Infernal Contract

Tutors:
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor

Wish:
4 Death Wish

Win:
4 Drain Life
4 Consume Spirit

Disruption:
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Unmask

Rituals:
4 Dark Ritual

Lands:
19 Swamp
4 Lake of the Dead

Sideboard:
2 Corrupt
2 Soul Burn
1 Exsanguinate
1 Snuff Out
1 Terror
1 Strip Mine
1 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Tormod's Crypt
4 Mindbreak Trap
1 Null Rod

Obviously the deck can be a bit dangerous, staying out of instant-speed burn range is important vs some opponents, and it's not uncommon to go down to one life trying to refill your hand before draining back up to 5 or 6.

Koby
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Please use this forum for Vintage decks (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?80-Deck-Development-(Unpowered-Budget)).

As for the deck, I would definitely play some Lake of the Dead - it provides such a huge boost in mana for Drains.

Jenni
11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Please use this forum for Vintage decks (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?80-Deck-Development-(Unpowered-Budget)).

As for the deck, I would definitely play some Lake of the Dead - it provides such a huge boost in mana for Drains.

I didn't want to clutter the vintage forum with a casual deck - I thought that was meant for decks meant to be competative, which this is far from being.
This is a casual deck more than a vintage deck, I just used the vintage B/R list instead of Legacy.

Also I forgot about Lake, updating it in the original post now. Thanks!

kingsey
11-20-2012, 11:41 PM
What about ivory tower?

Jenni
11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
What about ivory tower?

Over what? the recurring life gain is nice for keeping yourself alive and able to necro for more, but the drain lifes, consume spirits, and such are all doing that anyway, and closing out the game as they do.

What would you cut for tower?