PDA

View Full Version : Terra Nova

Hapless Researcher
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
So, the new Terra Nova brew looks like a pretty strong targeted deck for the current meta, having hate for most of the decks that are common.

What do you guys think of this?

Koby
12-12-2012, 09:48 PM
What the fuck is Terra Nova? Please link to or paste the deck.

menace13
12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
For those that haven't read the Demars article. http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25329_Vintage-NEV-VIII.html
(sorry had wrong link)

Lodestone Golem is the delver of Shop decks.

Shops is still the most unfair deck in a format full of unfair. I would argue Dredge, but Shops can hate out Dredge much more easily than Dredge can Shops. What I mean by this is Dredge may never get to cast that 2-3 mana Chain/Claim/Wispmare/Chewer at all, while Shops can just play its game out with a Leyline and a Chalice, Sphere, or Wasteland.

Koby- It's infi manland Shops. Oh, and the creator actually waived off-he scooped to Gans with win on board- a 2nd round bye to let Dave Gans Qualify.

Hapless Researcher
12-13-2012, 03:34 AM
For those that haven't read the Demars article. http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25329_Vintage-NEV-VIII.html
(sorry had wrong link)

Lodestone Golem is the delver of Shop decks.

Shops is still the most unfair deck in a format full of unfair. I would argue Dredge, but Shops can hate out Dredge much more easily than Dredge can Shops. What I mean by this is Dredge may never get to cast that 2-3 mana Chain/Claim/Wispmare/Chewer at all, while Shops can just play its game out with a Leyline and a Chalice, Sphere, or Wasteland.

Koby- It's infi manland Shops. Oh, and the creator actually waived off-he scooped to Gans with win on board- a 2nd round bye to let Dave Gans Qualify.

The list feels really strong, since most opponents will not be able to offer much resistance to your mana lands thanks to all the debuffs to their spell's cmc.

jjflipped
12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
The deck is a very targeted meta choice against the slow uprising of Landstill as a deck choice in the NE area. I do like the list, and I might play it next week at a local event. (or I might attempt to break cavern of souls a bit more)

Fatestitcher
12-13-2012, 10:13 AM
0 Black Lotus. What. the. fuck.

Amon Amarth
12-13-2012, 03:28 PM

This isn't an uncommon practice for Shop decks. Well, I guess I should say I've seen it before. The idea is that it's not a permanent accelerator, so it sucks in a land light hand if your opponent has removal.

Koby
12-13-2012, 03:45 PM
The deck is a very targeted meta choice against the slow uprising of Landstill as a deck choice in the NE area. I do like the list, and I might play it next week at a local event. (or I might attempt to break cavern of souls a bit more)

Landstill is an obnoxious deck that thrives when Big Blue and threat-lite Shop decks roam. I think it's an excellent list for that metagame. It's really innovative!

Jenni
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Pretty common for shop lists, the one-time burst of mana isn't as important as recurring mana sources in a lot of cases, because you need to have enough mana to operate under your sphere effects, so lotus gets cut sometimes.

Bill Copes
12-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Lotus is the worst mana source in a shop deck unless you drop it turn one. Outside of that, it's almost completely useless as it is shut down by spheres and chalices. Shops want permanent mana.

Some people even cut Trinisphere from time to time, if they need the space for something else.

This stuff is nothing new or extraordinary.

RJM
12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm mostly just happy about the high number of Trinket Mage in that top 8. Still one of my favorite creatures to cast in any format where it's legal.