SB: 3 Ancient Grudge
SB: 3 Counterflux
SB: 1 Spell Pierce
SB: 1 Spell Snare
SB: 1 Gut Shot
SB: 3 Sulfur Elemental
SB: 2 Dismember
SB: 1 Volcanic Fallout

Unlike some of the earlier modern RUG lists popular at the WMC that used Snapcaster, this deck tries to more closely mirror the legacy version, although obviously many of the cards are much worse.
Scythe Tiger, while appearing bad on the surface, is actually rather strong. Having essentially an insta-thresholded mongoose on turn one is a strong play even with the loss of the land. Setting your curve back isn't too much of an issue as there is so much one-mana interaction available in the deck.
Squelch is almost a cantripping stifle for 2 mana, it's amazing to hit fetchlands with and there are many other uses for it against a wide variety of decks.
Piracy charm is the other card that might raise some eyebrows but the +2 -1 ability is good against Bobs, Snapcasters, Unflipped delvers, Small Robots, Pestermites and many more creatures besides. If you have a Delver or Goyf it can be used as a shock in a damage race. The instant speed discard, while not amazing is an effective way of simplifying the game state and the islandwalk will sometimes let a Goyf or Delver get through some lingering souls tokens for lethal damage.

I wanted the 3 Grudge and 3 Counterflux in the SB for Affinity and Valakut respectively but I'm not sure about the other slots
Feel free to comment
It's probably not very good but against all the random cockatrice brews it seems at least half decent

Mr. Safety
12-31-2012, 07:01 PM
I play Scythe Tiger in pauper RUG, and it is indeed strong...but can be bad turn 1 if you don't settle your land. I think Life from the Loam should be a 1-of in this deck. Synergy with Thought Scour and Scythe Tiger both, and can allow you to work your way a little higher on the curve, possibly for something like Banefire or some other finisher.

DragoFireheart
01-01-2013, 11:36 AM
If only the Tiger had one more toughness so it wouldn't die to Pyroclasm.

Mr. Safety
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
If only he was playing cheap countermagic to deal with Pyroclasm...maybe play a dozen efficient threats too so he would almost always have mana open for those cheap counterspells. [/sarcasm]

In pauper I use Kird Ape and Werebear alongside Delver and Tiger. I think Kird Ape can safely be left out of the mix given Tarmogoyf's availability.

DragoFireheart
01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
It's sorta hard to have the mana open if the tiger just ate one. I'm not sure if running him is worth it.

Mr. Safety
01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
On the play, you might be right. But who uses Pyroclasm on turn 2 with only one threat to deal with? To be frank, I don't see many, if any, modern decks using Pyroclasm ANYWAYS. If you're on the play, getting a Tiger along with a land to protect him (having 2 in your opening hand) is really good. The amount of times you'll lose Tiger before hitting for 3-6 damage will be few, which I think warrents his playtesting. I play the damn Tiger in Pauper with only 19 lands, seriously. I am not using Wasteland, but it will be the same in Modern.

kombatkiwi
01-03-2013, 01:26 PM
On the play, you might be right. But who uses Pyroclasm on turn 2 with only one threat to deal with? To be frank, I don't see many, if any, modern decks using Pyroclasm ANYWAYS. If you're on the play, getting a Tiger along with a land to protect him (having 2 in your opening hand) is really good. The amount of times you'll lose Tiger before hitting for 3-6 damage will be few, which I think warrents his playtesting. I play the damn Tiger in Pauper with only 19 lands, seriously. I am not using Wasteland, but it will be the same in Modern.

If I had a pyroclasm I would 100% use it on a single scythe tiger if my opponent is tapped out.
It's still quite a good card though

Phoenix Ignition
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
GR Tron uses 4 maindeck Pyroclasm. Many combo decks use at least 2 in their 75 cards. Non souls jund use Jund Charms. Dont be so quick to assume that the scythe tiger is indestructible. Losing a land is just plain bad, and a lot more decks can chump block him than Mongoose in Legacy.

Mr. Safety
01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Wasn't thinking indestructable...just the probability that most folks won't be bringing fast, untargeted removal. Once you untap with Scythe Tiger and a way to protect it, it's almost as good as a flipped Delver. Indestructable? Hardly. Good? Yes, I think so.

Phoenix Ignition
01-03-2013, 09:24 PM
It's a pretty big nonbo to play stuff that kills your own lands while playing stuff that needs you to keep 2 lands untapped at all times. I'm just saying the 3/2 body isn't worth it, especially with the amount of maindeck things that kill it (forgot to mention Scapeshift now runs 2-3 Pyroclasms main as well).

CaptainTwiddle
02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I think the card that wants to replace Scythe Tiger is Jace's Phantasm. Unfortunately, I think that just x4 Thought Scour wouldn't be enough to reliably get your opponent to 10 cards in their graveyard.

imnotbrown
03-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I think the card that wants to replace Scythe Tiger is Jace's Phantasm. Unfortunately, I think that just x4 Thought Scour wouldn't be enough to reliably get your opponent to 10 cards in their graveyard.

I've been looking at Jace's Phantasm a lot lately, and I think he's got a lot of potential as well. You could drop 1 thought scour and 1 mana leak for 2 dream twist. Emphasis on the thought scour because I don't really see any particular reason to run a single copy, Especially since you have no way to recur it. Dream twist could help achieve Phantasm's pseudo-threshhold, while also keeping your opponents off of potentially valuable cards.

alderon666
03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
... while also keeping your opponents off of potentially valuable cards.

This concept does not work on constructed. While on Draft you could potentially mill all of their finishers, in constructed there's too much redundancy. Even against a dedicated control deck that runs a small amount of finishers, this will rarely matter.

Phoenix Ignition
03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Not only what Alderon said, milling the opponent only makes most decks better. Snapcaster Mage, Grim Lavamancer, Deathrite Shaman, Tarmogoyf, Knight of the Reliquary, Eternal Witness, Life from the Loam, Academy Ruins, any Storm deck (they still exist, although are worse), any Buried Alive deck, any deck with Gifts Ungiven (with or without reanimate package), and a number of random other graveyard strategies that have been going around (Lotleth Troll decks).

Jace's Phantasm is bad. Getting him to be large is a bad strategy. Just use a different card.