SB: 1 Fracturing Gust
SB: 1 Counterflux
SB: 1 Vraska the Unseen
SB: 1 Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
SB: 1 Teferi's Moat
SB: 1 Izzet Staticaster

Another day, another brew.

It's a control deck with the utility of a Glittering Wish SB. It fills a similar niche in the meta to Gifts decks but because you have the wish you are able to easily find a card for a specific matchup without having to worry about your opponent splitting it into the graveyard or diluting your maindeck with too many weird answers.
5 Colours is easily manageable with the mana fixing of Abundant Growth, duals and Flagstones. I didn't play fetchlands because I want to minimize the power of the opponent's Deathrite Shamen but this might not be correct (along with like half the rest of the manabase).
Abundant Growth lets you play around Blood Moon a little bit too which is a plus.
Perilous Research is at least a straight up +2 at instant speed by sacrificing an Abundant Growth or a Flagstones. Scooping 5 cards into your hand EOT with a Hatching Plans is the nut high.
In a pinch it's also possible to D-Sphere multiple abundant growths (or even just one) and then Perilous Research the D-Sphere for card advantage. The 1-of Ray of Revelation enables these plays while also being effective against the Bogle deck.

The Glittering Wish package means that you don't have to play expensive threats MB which makes your draws smoother, as a wish can be removal or a threat or a counterspell etc (You still have manlands and Wish can never be extracted because it gets exiled when it resolves). Some cards like Slaughter Games and Teferi's Moat are instantly game over against a variety of decks, cards like Rakdos Charm do many things so can be wished for in a pinch. Sigarda is an immense threat and if it gets wrathed you are eventually able to bring it back with Emeria (possibly too cute of an interaction to be worth using the Emeria, unless I can think of other things to do with it). It's important to recognise when to wish on turn 2 (or otherwise as early as possible) for something that trumps their deck and when to hold onto the wish in order to react to a play they might make later. Despite this, it's still essentially a 2-mana do nothing, so I play Farseek which fixes and ramps mana making it easier to wish for key spells and lock up the game before the opponent wins.

I have some issues that came up in testing
-It obviously gets crushed by Tron, as such decks are wont to do, because you have no clock whatsoever and Eye of Ugin gives them a repeatable uncounterable 15/15. (Karn and Wurmcoil are difficult but reasonable as they can be dealt with by D Sphere and Path respectively). I'm considering adding either a Realm Razer or Numot to the sideboard, or perhaps both. This sounds silly, but I guess it just depends on how many Oblivion Stones they will leave in, as one hit from a Numot against Tron should probably be enough to defeat them. Another option is to play maindeck Ghost Quarter(s) which has the option of cycling through Flagstones but this seems to be stretching the manabase WAY too far.
-Against a lot of decks it will seem to die almost exactly one turn before it is able to lock up the game completely, in a move towards fixing this I think I want to add the 4th farseek and cut a Cryptic Command. Cryptic Command is too often just a cantripping fog which is not something you want to have in multiples, and I believe that adding more removal or narrow counterspells like Negate or Remove Soul or whatever would be incorrect as the modern field is very broad, so whatever maindeck answer you add could be dead in any given matchup. It might be correct to cut all of the Cryptics because so often the benefit of playing Cryptic are the "Do X, Draw a card" options, and this deck is easily able to draw enough cards via other avenues, so it might just want some cheaper form of interaction to disrupt the opponent earlygame.
-To reiterate, you often have like 4 or even more cards in hand when you Perilous Plans and because you aren't a combo deck you will usually end up passing the turn and discarding some number of cards. To fix this it would be good to have some cheap interaction which is good against a wide variety of decks. The obvious answer is discard, which is fine but possibly too hard on the mana, or maybe something out of the box like Mana Tithe? I'm not sure.
-Some of these wish targets will be unnecessary, to the point where my sideboard isn't a 15-card rainbow of 1-ofs and I can actually bring some cards in for games two and three, but if you can think of any multicolored card which trumps another modern deck or can be wished for in a realistic situation then please let me know.

But overall I think this deck looks promising and it could be a contender with some tuning.

Davran
01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I really like the idea of this deck! Back when modern was first announced as a thing WotC was thinking about doing, I thought that some sort of wish deck was a given. As it turns out, there just wasn't enough support in terms of multi-colored cards at the time, and a developing format is really hard to nail down in terms of a reasonable wish board. I'm glad to see the recent Return to Ravnica has added some juicy potential wish targets to the card pool.

Is Cryptic Command really the best choice here given its mana cost? I realize that it's an all star in terms of utility, but something like Mana Leak or even Condescend might be better from a cast ability standpoint.

I definitely agree that the 4th Farseek is worth it - most of the bullets in the board cost 5, and by that point in the game you may well be dead (or very close to it).

Emeria is cute, but how often can you realistically expect to have it online? For much of the game it's nothing more than a plains that enters the battlefield tapped, and I'm not sure that's what you want to be doing. Is Horizon Canopy or another Temple Garden a better choice?

kombatkiwi
01-17-2013, 04:37 AM
I really like the idea of this deck! Back when modern was first announced as a thing WotC was thinking about doing, I thought that some sort of wish deck was a given. As it turns out, there just wasn't enough support in terms of multi-colored cards at the time, and a developing format is really hard to nail down in terms of a reasonable wish board. I'm glad to see the recent Return to Ravnica has added some juicy potential wish targets to the card pool.

Is Cryptic Command really the best choice here given its mana cost? I realize that it's an all star in terms of utility, but something like Mana Leak or even Condescend might be better from a cast ability standpoint.

I definitely agree that the 4th Farseek is worth it - most of the bullets in the board cost 5, and by that point in the game you may well be dead (or very close to it).

Emeria is cute, but how often can you realistically expect to have it online? For much of the game it's nothing more than a plains that enters the battlefield tapped, and I'm not sure that's what you want to be doing. Is Horizon Canopy or another Temple Garden a better choice?

4 Glittering Wish
3 Supreme Verdict
4 Farseek

4 Abundant Growth
4 Hatching Plans
2 Detention Sphere

1 Ray of Revelation
4 Perilous Research
4 Condescend
2 Negate
4 Path to Exile

4 Flagstones of Trokair
3 Temple Garden
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Celestial Colonnade
1 Stirring Wildwood
3 Plains
4 Razorverge Thicket
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry

What I was testing currently
I quite like the idea of Condescend because you can gain tempo with it in the midgame, and lategame it will always be able to counter something, with Farseek and so much draw to consistently hit land drops you will always have much more mana than them. Scry 2 is also a useful thing to have.
I might test mana leak later on to see how it differs (or perhaps rune snag).
I took Emeria out for another temple garden but alchemist's refuge is an effect that I think this deck can make great use of, I might cut the seachrome coast for one of them.
Apart from tweaking the numbers on DSphere/Path/Counterspells in the main I can't really think of anything else to change.
One card that seems MVP if the game goes so late is spell burst, if any deck can pull it off it is this one but it does seem very greedy to try.

Wish targets that have been allstars so far:
Sigarda
Firespout
Staticaster
Wheel of Sun and Moon (it's graveyard hate and there's so many Archive Trap decks on cockatrice that you can successfully troll by putting it on yourself)
There are times when Identity Crisis would have been the ideal thing to get but I didn't have double black mana (only possible with shrine + abundant growth) but I still think it's worth keeping in

I might put a Firemane Angel in the board because there are actually times where games are like "ok I have a million mana but have used 2 wishes already and I really am boned if he wraths my Sigarda" but this probably isn't right either because Firemane gets pathed and you still have manlands

Davran
01-17-2013, 09:08 AM
I might test mana leak later on to see how it differs (or perhaps rune snag).

I've actually been surprised that Rune Snag hasn't made bigger waves in the format. The difference between Snag and Leak in the first few turns is irrelevant, and the scale up edges it ahead of Leak in the later turns. I think people tend to stay away from it because it's a non-bo with Snapcaster Mage...but that isn't really an issue for this deck.

I took Emeria out for another temple garden but alchemist's refuge is an effect that I think this deck can make great use of, I might cut the seachrome coast for one of them.

I like the idea of Refuge here - wishing on their end step seems pretty good, and can potentially speed your hate piece up by a turn.

One card that seems MVP if the game goes so late is spell burst, if any deck can pull it off it is this one but it does seem very greedy to try.

Maybe try it as a 3/1 split with Condescend? Worst case it's a Condescend without the scry if you absolutely have to counter something, best case it's another late game lock piece.

I might put a Firemane Angel in the board because there are actually times where games are like "ok I have a million mana but have used 2 wishes already and I really am boned if he wraths my Sigarda" but this probably isn't right either because Firemane gets pathed and you still have manlands

What about the new Ghost Council or Enigma Sphinx? The new Ghost Council blinks itself at EOT, dodging wraths and Maelstrom Pulse. The Sphinx "saves" itself after a wrath, but is still vulnerable to Path. There's also Simic Sky Swallower, but that's vulnerable to wrath too.

kombatkiwi
01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
The biggest issue with Rune Snag I think is that the benefit of using it over Leak is so easily disruptible by Deathrite Shaman.
Ill try the split with Spell Burst and Condescend

Davran
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
The biggest issue with Rune Snag I think is that the benefit of using it over Leak is so easily disruptible by Deathrite Shaman.

Good call. I keep forgetting about Deathrite Shaman.

kombatkiwi
01-19-2013, 05:20 AM
I might put a broodmate dragon in the SB
So often you just wish for a finisher if you aren't getting identity crisis or slaughter games or whatever huge blowout spell so it's good to have a variety of different ones to go for based on what removal they have or you think that they have.
EDIT: Although there is like zero situation where broodmate is better than sigarda so I don't know what I was thinking. I guess you can leave half of it on defense and attack with the other half if you're in a race (Also, Armada Wurm)

4 Hatching Plans is probably too many
Spell burst looks promising
May add a Nephalia Drownyard maindeck but not sure about that yet

EDIT: Updated list, for anybody who is interested

4 Abundant Growth
3 Hatching Plans
2 Detention Sphere

4 Glittering Wish
3 Supreme Verdict
4 Farseek
3 Lingering Souls

3 Condescend
3 Path to Exile
4 Perilous Research
2 Counterflux

4 Flagstones of Trokair
3 Temple Garden
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Celestial Colonnade
1 Stirring Wildwood
2 Plains
4 Razorverge Thicket
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Forest
1 Island

SB: 1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
SB: 1 Slaughter Games
SB: 1 Identity Crisis
SB: 1 Rakdos Charm
SB: 1 Heroes' Reunion
SB: 1 Firespout
SB: 1 Izzet Staticaster
SB: 1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
SB: 1 Detention Sphere
SB: 1 Drain the Well

Lingering Souls was added as a counter to opposing Lingering Souls, which were really annoying to deal with, and it also happens to be a great card on its own in most matchups. Hooray!
Maindeck counterflux was added to beat Valakut, as a lot of the time you had to tap out a lot of mana for your counterspells (Condescend or Cryptic or whatever) so they just counter back now that you're basically tapped out and then their Scapeshift resolves. Counterflux stops those silly shenanigans

I also fiddled around with the mana a little bit

Ppa0
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Hey, I have been thinking about making a similar build. What changes have you made since your last post and what are the good and bad match ups for this deck?

nodahero
02-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Instead of playing Identity Crissis why not play the new wana be Mindtwist? The XRB Rakdos spell? It discards X and deals X damage. Its easier on the manabase... hits for damage and when the CMC is 6 (the same as crissis) you will prolly rip apart the hand entirely. I bet by the time you cast it your opponent only has 4 cards in hand anyway.

Food for thought. Good luck.

kombatkiwi
02-04-2013, 04:45 AM
Hey, I have been thinking about making a similar build. What changes have you made since your last post and what are the good and bad match ups for this deck?

I haven't made any changes, and I haven't even looked at the deck since the bannings.
I won't be able to get the cards for this before PTQ so I'll be borrowing a stock deck like twin or something for that event and then afterwards I'll probably be too busy with uni to bother with much magic for a while

I considered Rakdos return but I thought it would be too unlikely that you would have enough mana to fireball them out of the game and the exile graveyard mode had marginal applications against storm and reanimator.

If you want to cut something random from the SB for it then go ahead

kombatkiwi
06-30-2013, 01:39 AM
Latest List

Creature
2 Snapcaster Mage

Enchantments
4 Abundant Growth
1 Hatching Plans
1 Detention Sphere
2 Porphyry Nodes

Instant
4 Perilous Research
3 Path to Exile
1 Counterflux
3 Mana Leak
2 Sphinx's Revelation

Sorcery
4 Glittering Wish
1 Supreme Verdict
4 Farseek
3 Lingering Souls

Land
4 Flagstones of Trokair
3 Temple Garden
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Celestial Colonnade
1 Stirring Wildwood
2 Plains
4 Razorverge Thicket
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Forest
1 Island

SB: 1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
SB: 1 Slaughter Games
SB: 1 Identity Crisis
SB: 1 Heroes' Reunion
SB: 1 Firespout
SB: 1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
SB: 1 Detention Sphere
SB: 1 Drain the Well
SB: 1 Pure // Simple
SB: 1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind

Taking a leaf out of Standard (and the UWR Wafo Tapa deck) 2 Sphinx's Revelations have been added for the situations where you're facing Burn or whatever and you want to put yourself in a safe position after you stabilize. I cut the Hatching Plans down to 1 to make room for this because you don't want the deck to be all card draw and in most matchups you don't often want to tap out 2 mana in your mainphase for something that's just going to be a Perilous Research target.

Condescends can be cut for Mana Leaks which is just an all-around better card. Now that you have Revelations to help lock up the lategame further it's not so significant that Mana Leaks become worse as you give your opponents time to make land drops.

Another useful card I found that has been doing well so far is Porphyry Nodes. It's basically a 1 mana The Abyss. Sometimes aggro decks can just push through this card but it's not easy. When there are no creatures left and the trigger is on the stack to blow itself up you can sacrifice it to Perilous Research. You still have the 3 Path to Exile for the creatures that must die on the spot (Manlands, interrupting Pod chains etc). A notable thing about Nodes is that it kills hexproof creatures easily.

And I added some Snaps which can be a grindy wincon like Lingering souls but are mostly for doubling up on whatever the best cards for the matchup are. They can also let you flashback Wish bullets (especially Hero's Reunion which has been amazing lately).

Let me know if you have any good ideas for wish targets or other suggestions