PDA

View Full Version : No land elfball

Dan Turner
01-29-2013, 04:30 PM
We decided to hold a vintage tournament within my local playgroup (10 people) with special rules.

a) No sideboard allowed
b) No lands allowed

We do this every so often with different restrictions to improve our deck building skills by having to design and build decks outside the Normal scope of the game.

This is the 60 I have come up with any help would be awesome.

1 Black Lotus
4 Chrome Mox
3 Concordant Crossroads
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Elvish Visionary
2 Essence Warden
1 Fireball
4 Harmonize
4 Joraga Treespeaker
4 Llanowar Elves
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
3 Recycle
1 Regrowth
4 Revive
3 Seeker of Skybreak
3 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Summoner's Pact
4 Worldly Tutor

I would love some feedback on how I can make it faster.

Angelfire
01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Well Fireball should be Banefire.

Dan Turner
01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Well Fireball should be Banefire.

Yea I thought about that but didn't have one so I am going to order one now

John Cox
01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
balustrade spy + undercity informer + hermit druid is going to destroy that play group

nedleeds
01-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I feel like Mana Crypt is a must play. It's +2 ... I know it doesn't make green but it's still a really good card. Also, I wish Intruder Alarm could somehow and up in here.

You like Treespeaker over the tapper guys (heritage/birchlore)?

Dan Turner
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
balustrade spy + undercity informer + hermit druid is going to destroy that play group

I thought of that and I think I may add a Gaea's Blessing just in case

I feel like Mana Crypt is a must play. It's +2 ... I know it doesn't make green but it's still a really good card. Also, I wish Intruder Alarm could somehow and up in here.

You like Treespeaker over the tapper guys (heritage/birchlore)?
With treespeaker I can get the 5 counters pretty fast and then all my creatures tap for 2 each.

aahz
01-30-2013, 09:55 PM
With treespeaker I can get the 5 counters pretty fast and then all my creatures tap for 2 each.
But not the turn you play them. The advantage of Heritage Druid and Birchlore Ranger is that they allow you to get mana from guys with summoning sickness. I guess you have Concordant Crossroads for that, but it's still another moving piece.

Why Harmonize over Glimpse and no GSZ, Emrakul, Natural Order, etc.?

I like the idea of random constraints for deck building to keep it interesting though. Kudos to your playgroup for that!

Dan Turner
01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
But not the turn you play them. The advantage of Heritage Druid and Birchlore Ranger is that they allow you to get mana from guys with summoning sickness. I guess you have Concordant Crossroads for that, but it's still another moving piece.

Why Harmonize over Glimpse and no GSZ, Emrakul, Natural Order, etc.?

I like the idea of random constraints for deck building to keep it interesting though. Kudos to your playgroup for that!

Like I said I built with what I had on hand. but yea I am going to playtest some on cocatrice with a few other cards before I go and order more cards. Wife is already mad at me for buying as she put it "stupid land card" for $150 when I picked up a library a week or 2 ago.

Mrheizenberg
03-07-2013, 08:46 AM
We decided to hold a vintage tournament within my local playgroup (10 people) with special rules.

a) No sideboard allowed
b) No lands allowed

Your idea want me to give a deck list for your group : Storm Noland
I played it for fun in legacy with 4 lotus petal and powering help him a little (black lotus helps to cast multiple grapeshot/glimpse). it's pretty unfair to kill t1 but :laugh:

Engine and kill (compact as possible, fizzle factors)

4 Glimpse of Nature
1 Tinder Wall => mana for grapeshot
1 Wild Cantor => a nice target for summoner pact coz can swap green for red mana, a cantrip most a of the times
2 Grapeshot => kill (sometime you need more than 1 coz multiple glimpses can kill you)

Enabler, fuel (compact as possible, fizzle factors)

1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Emerald
4 Summoner's Pact => mana ability for elvish guide
4 Elvish Spirit Guide => an horrible top deck but can help if we topdeck a cantor or glimpse.

Storm Buddies

4 Shifting Wall
4 Crimson Kobolds
4 Crookshank Kobolds
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Marauder
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Shield Sphere

1 Street Wraith
4 Gitaxian Probe

Have fun!

kwis
03-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I feel like that format is begging for manaless Dredge to take home the W.
Can't use the Dryad Armor or Dakmor Salvage + Bloodghast packages but it should be pretty easy to find something else to slot in like Mindbreak Trap.

Looks like a cool tournament though, what was the outcome?

Dan Turner
03-16-2013, 06:15 PM
I feel like that format is begging for manaless Dredge to take home the W.
Can't use the Dryad Armor or Dakmor Salvage + Bloodghast packages but it should be pretty easy to find something else to slot in like Mindbreak Trap.

Looks like a cool tournament though, what was the outcome?

My wife with Dragonstorm combo took home the prize. She used a few different cards that spit goblin tokens used the goblin card that gives 1 (r) for each goblin and stormed out a sett of the dragon that gives 5 damage when they come in play