PDA

View Full Version : Borderpost

Ace/Homebrew
02-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I have a Modern FNM in 2 weeks and I'm bringing this list. I'm curious what changes you will suggest.

Mana
4 Mistvein Borderpost
4 Veinfire Borderpost
4 Firewild Borderpost
4 Wildfield Borderpost
4 Fieldmist Borderpost
1 Plains
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Forest
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Marsh Flats
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Arid Mesa
2 Scalding Tarn

Business
4 Demonic Dread
4 Violent Outburst
4 Ardent Plea
4 Restore Balance
4 Darksteel Ingot
4 March of the Machines
4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Sideboard
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Ricochet Trap
4 Ingot Chewer
3 Simian Spirit Guide

Pros:
You can make this deck from scratch for under $40 if you replace the fetch lands for basics
I haven't seen this deck anywhere so it's pretty safe to say it isn't on anyone's radar.
Everyone assumes lands are safe

How it works:
Play a land, tap it for a Borderpost, return the land to hand.
Repeat 3-4 times.
Play a card with Cascade and show the top of your deck until you reveal Restore Balance.
Repeat above until your opponent doesn't want to play anymore.
Play March of the Machines or Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas and win.

firebadmattgood
02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
7 fetches, 5 fetchable lands.

This deck just scoops to stony silence?

Ace/Homebrew
02-04-2013, 09:59 PM
This deck just scoops to stony silence?

Yeah it looks like 12-13% of the field will have a really good sideboard card if they decide to use it.
Affinity hate also has some application against the deck.

Phoenix Ignition
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
I'd like to add that remand is hilariously good against this deck. Also, considering the amount of cards that you need 2 specific colors to get (and all of them are different), I would imagine you get stuck with a lot of dead things you can't play way more often than you get a nuts hand. No card draw/search is going to hurt.

Ace/Homebrew
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd like to add that remand is hilariously good against this deck.
This post is a little more constructive than the last one cause I'll actually play against Remand. It is also why Ricochet Trap is in the sideboard!
For what it's worth, I'm also aware of how CotV @ 0 and Ethersworn Canonist affect my cascade... See Ingot Chewer in the sideboard.

Also, considering the amount of cards that you need 2 specific colors to get (and all of them are different), I would imagine you get stuck with a lot of dead things you can't play way more often than you get a nuts hand. No card draw/search is going to hurt.
This has not been a problem! It can be if I have to mulligan, but it is rarely a factor with a 7 card starting hand. I also mitigate the issue by using 7 fetchlands instead of just 12 basics. Most hands will be:

1 land
3 Borderpost
2 Cascade
Darksteel Ingot or Win-Con
Other card...

So it's pretty easy to immediately identify which Cascade card is the one to work towards. Then you fetch and drop Borderposts accordingly.

Granted I don't have any worthwhile testing to point to. Modern isn't really a thing by me... Should have some results to post next week though.

firebadmattgood
02-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah it looks like 12-13% of the field will have a really good sideboard card if they decide to use it.
Affinity hate also has some application against the deck.

It's actually a reasonably common sideboard card in Jund, but yeah, good call on being a smarmy dick.

Ace/Homebrew
02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
smarmy dick.

Fair =)
You are correct, I just checked and it sees play as a 2 of in a lot of lists. It seemed easier before to just be a smarmy dick than to check.

In answer to your previous question: Yes, it folds to Stony Silence.

Ace/Homebrew
02-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Tested this further and I like what Greater Gargadon does for the deck.
I was only able to find 1 before the FNM though...

Ricochet Trap was the most useful card out of the sideboard.
Ancient Grudge was the most harmful card against my strategy that I faced.

Found this list (http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=7975&iddeck=58079) from a year ago on TC Decks:

Creatures [4]
4 Greater Gargadon

Instants [7]
3 Beast Within
4 Violent Outburst

Sorceries [8]
1 Bramblecrush
3 Demonic Dread
4 Restore Balance

Enchantments [7]
3 March of the Machines
4 Ardent Plea

Planeswalkers [4]
4 Ajani Vengeant

Artifacts [20]
4 Fieldmist Borderpost
4 Firewild Borderpost
4 Mistvein Borderpost
4 Veinfire Borderpost
4 Wildfield Borderpost

Lands [10]
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse

Sideboard [15]
4 Boom // Bust
3 Krosan Grip
4 Ricochet Trap
4 Dismember

I like the inclusion of Boom // Bust. I had forgot about the rules for cascade with split cards.

imnotbrown
02-20-2013, 09:45 AM
I really like this deck, and am going to try it at my next modern FNM. A few things I'm going to do though:
Taking out Tezzeret: I love him, and Of course would keep him if i had the money, but I much rather the idea of this deck's low end being 6 dollars rather than 40-45. My replacements would be:
-4 Tezzeret, +4 Phyrexian Totem.
I really love this totem, because in theory he serves pretty much the same purpose, minus the free cost. But you can drop him turn 3 by playing a land, tapping it and two borderpost for it, and then tapping it for plack to return the land to your hand and play another post, like you would do with an ingot. Speaking of which...
-2 Darksteel ingot, +2 Foriysian Totem.
I like this guy too, though he costs more. Color fixing isn't an enormous problem, and he gives another body if need be, but only when you need it.

Ace/Homebrew
02-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Phyrexian Totem

Before I got into Legacy, 7-year extended was my favorite format. When 7-year extended was a thing I made this deck because of how affordable it is. Inspiration here (https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/52). As you can see, Phyrexian Totem made it into his final list.

Unfortunately I have no experience testing this deck against Tron.
Let me know how the FNM goes. I did poorly in mine and chalk that up to play mistakes and inexperience in Modern:

Round 1 - Kiki-twin: 1-2
Game 1 he's on the play and I put him on Storm. I forgot that his deck can combo off on turn 4...
Game 2 he hits me with Ancient Grudge then flashes it back stalling me 2 turns. I still win this game though because of Ricochet Trap.
Game 3 I keep a durdly hand with no cascade spell rather than mulligan. I had no chance.

Round 2 - Bye :frown:

Round 3 - U/W Midrange (with Blade Splicer): 2-0
Game 1 I caught him by surprise because he had no idea what I was setting up.
Game 2 I forced a Balance through with Ricochet Trap.

Round 4 - Scapeshift 0-2
Game 1 I mulligan into 3 lands, Restore Balance, Violent Outburst, and something unhelpful. *sigh*
Game 2 I board in Leylines because it looks like his only way to do damage is with Valakut. I never saw his blue splash in game 1 and he counters my Balance twice (Mana Leak, then Izzet Charm) then won on his next turn.

Since then I swapped March of the Machines out for Greater Gargadon. I'm really liking the change and recommend you test the card to see if it works for you. It's excellent for getting rid of lands you couldn't bounce before going for a Balance.
Going into another FNM I believe that I would attempt to cascade into Balance on turn 3 more often by keeping 1 land in play. Especially against Kiki-Twin.