PDA

View Full Version : Is Kuldotha Red still viable in today's meta?

imnotbrown
02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
After looking at possible changes from recent sets since the deck has fallen out of popularity, of course. Also, this is the right place to post this question, right?

to prevent confusion, let it be known that by "today's meta" I mean it's matchup against popular decks nowadays in general. Not the fact that you don't know what my local meta looks like. Hell, I don't know what my meta looks like, being someone who's played fairly successfully for about a year, but is just now getting into eternal formats. It just seems like a fun deck to play and my budget is rather limited.

02-07-2013, 10:20 PM
After looking at possible changes from recent sets since the deck has fallen out of popularity, of course. Also, this is the right place to post this question, right?

to prevent confusion, let it be known that by "today's meta" I mean it's matchup against popular decks nowadays in general. Not the fact that you don't know what my local meta looks like. Hell, I don't know what my meta looks like, being someone who's played fairly successfully for about a year, but is just now getting into eternal formats. It just seems like a fun deck to play and my budget is rather limited.

With Tron being one of the top dogs in the new format running 4 Pyroclasms main, I would say its unlikely.

imnotbrown
02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
If i sideboarded sowing salts and some other land destruction, like running ghost quarter or tecedge insteaad of darksteel citadel or contested war zone, could it be doable?
Also, I've considered running chieftain to add some early damage, would that be practical?

EDIT: Also blood moon effects, of course.

kombatkiwi
02-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Kuldotha red is basically a combo deck that dies to sweepers.

In the same vein, nivmagus elemental is a combo deck that dies to spot removal.

You need a very good reason to play either of these over Affinity, in my opinion, which is probably not as objectively powerful as either deck but is fairly resilient to both types of disruption.

By planning to use cards like blood moon and sowing salt you might as well just play a different deck

SpikeyMikey
02-09-2013, 09:51 AM
KRed does better in a field that's heavy with control and combo. Currently, the format is full of durdley aggro decks. The problem is that they run enough spot removal to deal with Signal Pest and have enough blockers that you can't profitably attack turns 3-4, so you get one swing and then you're stuck trying to get enough creatures down for an alpha swing. I would not want to be playing it right now. Especially with Pod being the DtB. Turn 1 BoP/Hierarch into turn 2 Kitchen Finks is a serious issue for you.

However, in a similar vein, some sort of Boros aggro utilizing the new GTC cards might be doable. Sort of like Zoo-lite.

pants
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
The short answer is no and the long answer is God no.

imnotbrown
02-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I've kind of admitted that to myself since starting the thread.

Ace/Homebrew
02-22-2013, 10:00 PM
I was hoping Five-Alarm Fire would give this deck a shot but any kind of resistance really shuts it down. My list gets 20 damage in by turn 3 or 4 when I goldfish but any real deck would crush it...

Mr Miagi
02-23-2013, 05:06 AM
The short answer is no and the long answer is God no.

Nailed it! :laugh: