Leyart
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
==============================================
Landcronomicon
===============================================

==============================================
http://i.minus.com/iFdAsrKc9OPLb.jpg
===============================================

Tired of all the Junds around, tired of the control decks that didn't allow me to play any creature at all, tired of being forced to use the same decks dictated by the metagame, I wanted to try something completely different, able to allow me to play carelessly my main creature finishers while consistently denying opponent resources such as cards, creatures AND lands. This get extremely important against jund, since attacking its mana base is usually a big problem for a deck like that. Based on these requirements, I tried to build a land disruption deck able to make full use of SmallPox at minimum cost for me, while keeping beating with careless creatures and swords as finishers. The land disruption is not the main theme of the deck: it just allows me to selectively reduce the efficiency and speed of opponent decks while letting me gather the resources needed to finish with a creature equipped with a sword.
The deck I came up with is the Landcronomicon. It is still a WIP but based on the matches I have done, it competes fairly well against most of the decks that are used in my local metagame (composed of Junds, Trons, Melira-Pods, Scapeshifts, UW Midrange, Infect, Robots).
No more talking btw, this is the deck:

LANDS:

[4x] Blood Crypt
[3x] Blackcleave Cliffs
[1x] Overgrown Tomb
[2x] Swamp
[4x] Marsh Flats
[4x] Verdant Catacombs

CREATURES:

[4x] Deathrite Shaman
[3x] Fulminator Mage
[3x] Dark Confidant
[3x] Nether Traitor
[4x] Bloodghast

INSTANTS:

[4x] Terminate
[4x] Lightning Bolt

PLANESWALKERS:

[3x] Liliana of the Veil

ARTIFACTS:

[2x] Sword of War and Peace
[1x] Sword of Light and Shadow
[1x] Sword of Fire and Ice

SORCERY:

[4x] Inquisition of Kozilek
[3x] Molten Rain
[3x] Smallpox

SIDEBOARD:
[3x] Surgical Extraction
[3x] Rakdos Charm
[3x] Pithing Needle
[3x] Imp's Mischief
[3x] Slaughter Games

I will update the post frequently making considerations about how to play the deck, for now I would like to receive suggestions and/or possible improvements from you, I simply don't have much time to do it right now.
I know it's my first post here, but I have always followed this community since "The Gate" deck was posted and I think I could improve the deck thanks to your expertise. Thank you in advance for your help.

Leyart
02-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Reserved

Mr. Safety
02-23-2013, 02:55 PM
THANK YOU for playing Fulminator Mage, and criminally underplayed card. I really like the Smallpox/Liliana/Bloodghast interaction, too.

Some thoughts for the main deck/side:

Abyssal Persecutor
Pyroclasm
Geralf's Messenger
Ghost Quarter
Grim Lavamancer
Stingscourger
Avalanche Riders
Profane Command
Vampire Nighthawk

If you decide that Persecutor is worth any slots, then I highly suggest Fling.

Leyart
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Thank you Mr. Safety for the suggestions! In fact at least 3 cards have been put and removed from the deck at least once...
Geralf's Messenger, Pyroclasm and Vampire Nighthawk were in the first iteration of the deck, I had to remove them for several reasons...
Messenger has been removed in favor of Deathrite Shaman. It was far too slow and subject to spot removal (e.g. path to exile) thus not justifying his cost.
Nighthawk was put in place of Smallpox, but since I have put shamans in, I have restored the smallpoxes in the deck, since they can hurt a lot them while having minor consequences on my game.
Pyroclasm kills my BoB so unfortunately I decided to remove them.
The other cards are far too costly in terms of mana, I have always loved to keep my manacurve on 3 and the deck has been crafted with this principle in mind.
Lavamancer is, unfortunately, a subpar version of deathrite shaman nowadays, even though was a lovely card back then.

Mr. Safety
02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Remember that you can work the cards in/out of your sideboard. Grim Lavamancer is repeatable removal, something Deathrite Shaman simply cannot do. I would consider a swap against aggressive decks that crap out dudes, like Goblins or Elves. Pyroclasm is a similar solution, and I would argue that it would be smarter to play your hand out and play Bob later in order to maximize your chances of gaining card advantage.

Just some thoughts, I know you've tested this quite a bit already. I also think that Stillmoon Cavalier should be mentioned. I did a modern 'Team Italia' a while back with Stillmoon, equips, Nighthawks, and burn. It was decent, but I was also playing Phyrexian Arena because of the shock-dual mana-base dinging me so hard.