PDA

View Full Version : Article/Report: Modern PTQ Top 8 with UWr Geist

Mark Sun
03-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Hey guys,

This report is a little over due, but I made Top 8 of the Garden City, MI PTQ on February 9th piloting UWr Geist.

I summarize my thoughts on the individual parts of the deck. Feedback appreciated on the writing/choice of content/my face.

https://mtgshops.com/posts/a-stranger-to-these-parts/60

Thanks,

--Mark

Phoenix Ignition
03-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Your conclusions look like what I'd have asked about. Sword of X and Y are always pretty slow cards and I don't think they fit in most UWR shells. Twisted Image does seem too cute in the current meta. I don't like the card now that DRS are played more than any other mana dork.

ahg113
03-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Your face is pretty decent. Good smile, approachable, clean. I would prefer the addition of glasses. Glasses make folk look smarter, would lend more gravitas to your writing, presumably.

Congrats on your finish. The writing style was good, read quickly. I like that you didn't dilly-dally when it came time to discuss the deck.

JACO
03-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Congrats on your performance. I have a few questions about the deck for you:
1) What is your more realistic plan for beating RG Tron moving forward? This seems like the most pressing issue in my mind.
2) Did you ever want 1 more Spell Snare, maybe out of the sideboard?
3) What do you think about Forked Bolt?

SpikeyMikey
03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Mono-Black Vampires (Everyone gets a free win here or there), 2-0

I laughed.

It was a good article. I think we've been over this before, but I think your writing is always excellent. It's why I enjoy picking your brain on decklists, when you've got the time. You've got an excellent analytical mind and a strong understanding of how formats work.

Mark Sun
03-05-2013, 02:22 PM
I laughed.

It was a good article. I think we've been over this before, but I think your writing is always excellent. It's why I enjoy picking your brain on decklists, when you've got the time. You've got an excellent analytical mind and a strong understanding of how formats work.

You were the first to identify me :smile:

I was able to run it back with Geist against at the Columbus PTQ last weekend, with a dramatically changed list and some technology from Larry Swasey. Unfortunately I lost in the quarters again. This time, wasn't really the matchup, just actually missing my third land drop in game one for approximately 20 turns despite a) having a window to resolve Geist and b) showing him two Lingering Souls in my hand (yup, in the deck now). He was playing Grixis Delver. I was burning on the inside when I signed the match slip 1-2 in his favor.

Congrats on your performance. I have a few questions about the deck for you:
1) What is your more realistic plan for beating RG Tron moving forward? This seems like the most pressing issue in my mind.
2) Did you ever want 1 more Spell Snare, maybe out of the sideboard?
3) What do you think about Forked Bolt?

1) It's the worst matchup (as is most ramp decks) because Pyroclasm is such an efficient answer to everything. That and the constant guessing game of "does he have it?" One option is to go back to Restoration Angel and be more controlling, but every time I've resolved Hero against the mirror (which is where you want it due to its popularity, as well as G/x decks), one swing put me so far ahead that I felt like I had the game locked up. I have been thinking about returning to it. Molten Rain is garbage but a necessity since it's the best LD spell in the format, but you would need to open with 2 pieces of hate on the play and a Remand/Leak + hate piece on the draw to have a realistic chance. I'm going up to 3 Mana Leak + 2 Remand in the next list I play.

2) Spell Snare is great but I cut all the copies from my list prior to this last PTQ. The format got a lot faster due to GCB's Gruul deck, and I wanted to prepare for that. So, the Helixes came back in for this PTQ, which basically replaced the Snare slots. The challenge is finding a good balance of countermagic + removal for next week.

3) It's actually find out of the board if there are a ton of Pod decks in your metagame, but lately I just haven't seen much of it. It's probably the only matchup outside of Affinity that I would consider it.

DragoFireheart
04-05-2013, 10:30 AM
I love how you ran Hero over Restoration Angel. Hero seems like a much more major threat compared to Angel since you can quickly end games with Hero. Both have their merits, but would you go back to Angel over Hero having now used her?