PDA

View Full Version : Article/Report: First with Eggs at PTQ Columbus

Fade
03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I wrote an article for LegitMTG describing my past two PTQ experiences with Eggs, including a win at the Columbus PTQ. If you are planning to go to any of the remaining Modern PTQs or plan on playing Eggs at a local tournament check out my article!

http://legitmtg.com/competitive/egging-to-victory/

JDK
03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Grats and thanks for the article - makes we want to try the deck. :)

kombatkiwi
03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Hi
I was already planning to use eggs for the PTQ this weekend
The sideboard holy day is something I will have to think about using

I'm curious to see that you think Sleight of Hand is worse than Serum Visions
When discussing the deck with my testing team we seemed to unanimously agree that Sleight was better because it got you access to the top 2 cards immediately, maximising your chance of suspending a Lotus Bloom on turn 1.

We thought that blind obedience was a better alt-kill card than Bitter Ordeal because it wins through white leyline, trumps the mirror and delays Twin/pod combo by a turn.

Apart from that your list seems pretty standard, but the set core of cards for Eggs is quite large and there isn't a lot of room for innovation.

Congratulations on the finish

Fade
03-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi
I was already planning to use eggs for the PTQ this weekend
The sideboard holy day is something I will have to think about using

I'm curious to see that you think Sleight of Hand is worse than Serum Visions
When discussing the deck with my testing team we seemed to unanimously agree that Sleight was better because it got you access to the top 2 cards immediately, maximising your chance of suspending a Lotus Bloom on turn 1.

We thought that blind obedience was a better alt-kill card than Bitter Ordeal because it wins through white leyline, trumps the mirror and delays Twin/pod combo by a turn.

Apart from that your list seems pretty standard, but the set core of cards for Eggs is quite large and there isn't a lot of room for innovation.

Congratulations on the finish

While sleight of hand has more value turn 1 in hopes of getting a lotus bloom, serum visions is just better every other time. Serum will always let you see 3 cards while sleight is just 2. It allows you to set up your turn 3 or 4 much better and lets you check the top of your library after you used your last sunrise to see if you can continue to go for it. This is where I would much rather have to look at the top 3 than just the top 2. There is also use in being able to scry both cards to the bottom when looking for the final piece you need like a Reshape. All in all they are both mediocre draw cards.

I have heard buzz going around that blind obedience is now the preferred win con main. I think this is pretty cool and I probably would've played it has I known. However, I still like having the pyrite spell bomb kill as it can kill cannonist, mindcensors, and Thalia and Bitter Ordeal is pretty good in the combo matchup. Winning through a Leyline doesn't really matter anyways as you end up drawing your deck and you can just echoing truth it before you start to target them with your win con.

jarvisyu
03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
I wrote an article for LegitMTG describing my past two PTQ experiences with Eggs, including a win at the Columbus PTQ. If you are planning to go to any of the remaining Modern PTQs or plan on playing Eggs at a local tournament check out my article!

http://legitmtg.com/competitive/egging-to-victory/

nice article, and congrats on your (1st?) ptq win.