PDA

View Full Version : American Allies

ScatmanX
03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
I had a deck like this when Allies were T2. When modern came to be, I assembled a Naya list with Bloodbraid Elf. Now he's gone, and I'm back to america!
The deck can kill as fast as Turn3 with a godhand, and the SB covers pretty much all we need to be covered.
Here's the list I have right now:

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Steam Vents
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Hallowed Fountain
4 Cavern of Souls
3 Plains
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Ancient Zigurat

4 Hada Freeblade
4 Kazandu Blademaster
4 Akoum Battlesinger
3 Jwari Shapeshifter
4 Ondu Cleric
4 Kabira Evangel
2 Talus Paladin
2 Adaptive Automaton

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Spell Pierce
2 Mimic Vat

SB:
2 Tuktuk Scrapper
1 Mimic Vat
2 Second Sunrise / Ghostway
4 Path to Exile
3 Disenchant
3 Silence

The Main Deck:
The manabase is quite stable as it is.
The lack of 1 drops is supressed by 8 1cc instants.
Hada, Kazando, Akoum and Kabira are the core cards of the deck.
Jwari helps us do anything we might want, from having a faster clock, to win an absurd amount of life.
Mimic Vat is the best card against control this deck can have. Is also awesome with lots of opponents creatures.
Ondu and Talus help us against more agressive strategies.
Automaton triggers all Allies, and is nice having a number of lords.

The Sideboard:
Some number of Disenchants to fight Torpor Orb. Good all around too.
Path is quite self explanatory.
Tuktuk Scrapper buries Affinity. (with help from Path and Disenchant)
Vat/Second Sunrise against sweepers and control.
Silence is a great tech. Since the deck is very agressive, it can buy us a turn when we're aiming for a T4 kill, and don't want our opponent Supreme Veredicting our table. Also, double against storm as hate.

Considered Cards:
Aether Vial - The deck lacks C.A., so Vial became dead pretty soon on the game. Great card against control though.
Champion of the Parish - Though great on turn 1, he is simply the worst card you could ask T3-4 onwards.
Other Allies - on UWR collors, all other allies are quite expensive or bad. Umara Raptor could be usefull.
Changelings: Mirror Entity and Taurean Mauler need to be tested. The mana requeriments for the 1st one might be a problem though.

What do you guys think of this deck as a contender in Modern?
Critiques and suggestions are very much welcome!

poopiedonut
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I've played against my buddy Nate's UWR allies deck that he designed in modern. I think it functions really well! The one thing I really liked is that in addition to utilizing Jwari Shapeshifters, he also uses Phantasmal Image.
Also, I don't think the average player really thinks much of this card, but Kabira Evangel really shines here.

EDIT:
As a suggestion to your sideboard, I would try to include some graveyard hate if you're taking it to an event where you don't know the meta just in case you bump into Dredge Vine or Deathrite Shaman decks. Rest in Peace would fit the curve nicely.

Phoenix Ignition
03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Being a "fair" creature deck in Modern without much disruption is very difficult right now. I think you need more disruption of unfair strategies. This is hard to do if you want as many Allies as you can get, and finding the balance between number of allies and disruption is always going to be the issue.

You have to ask what your strategy is against:
GR Tron (race? They play Pyroclasms, O stones, and Wurmcoils)
UR Splinter Twin (race? Try to Spell Pierce and hope they don't play around it or have an answer?)
Affinity (bolt the important creatures and hope they don't get Cranial Plating, racing is almost impossible)

Right now it looks like your deck may do fine against other creature strategies and control strategies, but traditionally decks like this just scoop to combo and tron (which is a huge part of Modern).

poopiedonut
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Being a "fair" creature deck in Modern without much disruption is very difficult right now. I think you need more disruption of unfair strategies. This is hard to do if you want as many Allies as you can get, and finding the balance between number of allies and disruption is always going to be the issue.

UR Splinter Twin (race? Try to Spell Pierce and hope they don't play around it or have an answer?)
Affinity (bolt the important creatures and hope they don't get Cranial Plating, racing is almost impossible)

Right now it looks like your deck may do fine against other creature strategies and control strategies, but traditionally decks like this just scoop to combo and tron (which is a huge part of Modern).

These can be solved with some consideration..
DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying these are perfect, just minor suggestions that (could) work.
How to play against Tron?
Fix the mainboard to include 4 Phantasmal Image to copy wurmcoil engines
Its also valid to utilize the tuktuk scrappers in the sideboard

UR Twin:
Sideboard Spellskites? Mainly because Torpor Orb would hurt us more than its worth.

Affinity:
Depends. Shatterstorm is a maybe, but Pithing Needle shines in this matchup. Pithing needle mainly pointed at the cranial plating. Also, a good opportunity for tuktuk scrapper once you've shut down their early game.

I'm just saying.. with enough preparation and consideration this deck can go places.

owenzzz
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Here is my 2 cents:

- Add Aether vial. even though this is a card disadvantage, It will make your creature uncounterable and gives extra protection via Kabira Evangel with an instant effect drop.

-Possibility to add Restoration Angel. Not an ally but will be a good enabler.

ScatmanX
03-08-2013, 07:38 AM
As a suggestion to your sideboard, I would try to include some graveyard hate if you're taking it to an event where you don't know the meta just in case you bump into Dredge Vine or Deathrite Shaman decks. Rest in Peace would fit the curve nicely.
RiP would fit great here. There were 3 in the Silence slot on the SB. Still need to work better on that.

The deck run a lot of big, fast guys, evasion (Kabira) and some permission. I don't think that a deck that has several ways of killing T4. (Granted, they all involve Akoum)

UR Tron: Pyroclasm it's quite bad. On my T2 Hada will have 3 thoughness already, while Kazandu will have it T3; Firespout is a bigger issue though. Wurmcoil is just slow, as Gideon were back in Standard. I really think we can race them. Also, Wurmcoil would be quite awesome under my Vat =]
UR Twin: We have basically the same clock. Bolt kills Pestermite or Kiki, and Path gets all his dudes. Need to test it more, but that's the plan.
Affinity: 4 Bolts, and post SB 4 Paths, 3 Disenchants and 2 Tuktuk are enough to handle affinity. Not scared of it.

Fix the mainboard to include 4 Phantasmal Image to copy wurmcoil engines
Its also valid to utilize the tuktuk scrappers in the sideboard
Maybe Phantasmal Image could be overall better than Jwari shapeshifter. I don't play Modern all that much to know if there are a lot of effects that would make Image too unriliable.

UR Twin:
Sideboard Spellskites? Mainly because Torpor Orb would hurt us more than its worth.
Need to put a number of those on the SB. They're really great.
Thanks.

- Add Aether vial. even though this is a card disadvantage, It will make your creature uncounterable and gives extra protection via Kabira Evangel with an instant effect drop.

-Possibility to add Restoration Angel. Not an ally but will be a good enabler.
As I said, haven't really liked Vial. Restoration Angel on the other hand looks awesome. Probably fits better than Talus. It on Vat looks bonkers too. Thanks for the suggestion.

I guess that if I can fit some Paths on the MB, the SB would have room for Spellskite easier.
(Just remembered that Path deals with wurmcoil quite nicely... and so does Scrapper, as poopiedonet pointed out)
Maybe cutting a Bolt, a Ondu and something else for 3 Path MD is a good move.

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: Just realized Boros Charm is awesome in this deck. It might be able to replace Vat and/or Second Sunrise, and give us more reach. Will be certainly testing it.

JDK
03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
UR Twin: We have basically the same clock. Bolt kills Pestermite or Kiki, and Path gets all his dudes. Need to test it more, but that's the plan.
No, you don't have the same clock. To be able to even stand a chance against Twin you mustn't tap out T3+, which slows down your clock. On the other side of the table Twin is also playing Bolts, Remands, Snapcasters, Lavamancers, Dispel and so on. In addition, their natural combo parts can tap your guys, while your chances of disrupting their T4-5 kill are less likely (Bolt doesn't get Exarch and the rest is counterable). If UWR Twin (http://www.channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-a-fresh-take-on-modern/) catches on (and it looks nice on first glance, I'll definitely try it out), the matchup gets even worse due to Wall of Omen, Path to Exile and Lightning Helix (and some others).

Phoenix Ignition
03-08-2013, 02:34 PM
UR Tron: Pyroclasm it's quite bad. On my T2 Hada will have 3 thoughness already, while Kazandu will have it T3; Firespout is a bigger issue though. Wurmcoil is just slow, as Gideon were back in Standard. I really think we can race them. Also, Wurmcoil would be quite awesome under my Vat =]
Affinity: 4 Bolts, and post SB 4 Paths, 3 Disenchants and 2 Tuktuk are enough to handle affinity. Not scared of it.

I mean, on turn 2 you will have at least 1 pyroclasm-able creature on board. Turn 3 without you interrupting Silvan Scrying or Expedition Map at all, the Tron player should at least 75% of the time have all 3 tron lands. By turn 4 my random estimate brings it up to 90% (based on playing against that deck everywhere). A turn 3 Wurmcoil is tough for you to handle, pro colors doesn't help and in general it's going to slow you down enough for them to probably hit that O Stone. Allies can't really handle a Wurmcoil efficiently, and you don't have Paths to do anything against it.

I agree 100% with H3llsp4wn's assessment of UR Twin (or URW twin).

You could try out Stony Silence, it's good against both Affinity and GR Tron (turns 1/2 their deck's cantrips and land searches into junk), but Blood Moon or something might be necessary to even get to 50/50.

ScatmanX
03-08-2013, 03:06 PM
@H3llsp4wn and Phoenix Ignition:
Thanks a lot for your inputs. I really appreciate it, and agree with you. The deck still need work if it wants to be somewhat viable.
Taking your criticism into consideration, and having discussed with others from my team, the deck has evolved a bit already, coming to look like this:

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Cavern of Souls
1 Steam Vents
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Plains
1 Island
1 Mountain
2 Seachrome Coast

4 Hada Freeblade
4 Kazandu Blademaster
4 Akoum Battlesinger
3 Jwari Shapeshifter
3 Ondu Cleric
4 Kabira Evangel
1 Adaptive Automaton
2 Restoration Angel / Talus Paladin

3 Lightning Bolt
3 Spell Pierce
4 Path to Exile
2 Boros Charm

SB:
2 Tuktuk Scrapper
1 Boros Charm
3 Disenchant
3 Silence
1 Ondu Cleric
3 Spellskite
2 Pithing Needle

The manabase gos a little worked on.
Path's were brought MD, as they seem to do wonders against most of the field.
Boros Charm entered the deck. It fights Supreme Veredicts and similar, is great at combat tricks, and offer some more reach.
Don't know if Restoration Angel will be better than Talus. I imagine it will, but need to be tested. He can blink whatever creature Wurmcoil blocks, to avoid lifelink, and pump the other allies doing so. If proven good, Automaton can became a 3rd Angel.
SB got Spellskites, to fight Twin and protect my Allies when needed.
SB got Needles. Good all around card. (Affinity, Eggs, Pod, and can be brought in to name Expedition map (early) or Oblivion Stone (mid-late))

Is RiP really necessary on the SB? Aside from Gift decks, does it really shine anywhere else?
Are there any other suggestions on the decklist?
Edit: Any thought if Izzet Charm could be good here?

Thanks again for the help.

CaptainTwiddle
03-08-2013, 07:47 PM
I just read this thread for the first time and I'm really stuck on the comparison between Jwari Shapeshifter and Phantasmal Image. Without having played this deck at all, I'm inclined to lean toward the Image, as the ability to copy opponents' creatures, I believe, outweighs the added fragility (besides, if you're copying an ally, most targeted effects that would kill the Image would likely kill whatever you've copied anyway, right?). I think maybe a split of the two would be correct, perhaps 3/2 in favor of Image. I think another Ondu Cleric could easily be another clone creature, since they seem like the least proactive of your creatures, though I totally see how they can just be an "I win" card against narrow aggro decks (similar to how some aggro decks just lose to Martyr of Sands).

I'm also kind of wondering about Spell Pierce in the main deck. I can see the situations where it's very good, but do you really want to be keeping mana open? Given the nature of allies, they make you want to play spells (other allies) in your first main phase to bolster your attack.

From the initial list, I really like Mimic Vat, but as a sideboard card against control. Although, you might be better off sticking with Boros Charm as your answer to sweepers.

poopiedonut
03-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I would personally ditch cleric in favor of phantasmal image. Cleric doesn't provide a lot of advantage and you aren't altering the curve with that replacement. Image is especially good for copying wurmcoils because you still get the tokens if it dies. I guess all I'm saying is that image gives the deck a lot more potential and interaction.

Phoenix Ignition
03-09-2013, 03:14 PM
The one thing about Boros Charm and this deck is that without Aether Vial you'll never (or probably should never) have the mana untapped to respond to a board sweep. I guess there will be some times where it's relevant, but in general keeping open 2 mana instead of curving out is going to just be detrimental.

Opaco
03-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Have anyone considered Cloudshift? I don't play this deck and don't know if it's worth the slots over things like Boros Charm, but I've seen some people with it and seems quite versatile: saves from targeted removal, retriggers allies at instant speed without vials (quite relevant with Kabira and also messing with combat math) and lets you change what Jwari is copying.

ScatmanX
03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Ok, lots of the arguments presented here are true.
I have never played with Boros Charm here before, so a build with Vial is probably a good place to start. That said, this is what I currently have:

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Cavern of Souls
1 Steam Vents
3 Sacred Foundry
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Plains
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Seachrome Coast

4 Aether Vial

4 Hada Freeblade
4 Kazandu Blademaster
4 Akoum Battlesinger
4 Kabira Evangel
3 Restoration Angel
2 Phantasmal Image
4 Jwari Shapeshifter

2 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile
3 Boros Charm

SB:
3 Spellskite
3 Silence
1 Boros Charm
3 Disenchant
2 Tuktuk Scrapper
3 Ondu Cleric

The deck looks more well built now.
Pierce was a card to be cut, now that Charm do some of it's work.
Cleric could be moved to the SB, and brought in against really aggressive strategies.
I think I prefer Jwari over Image here, because of the interaction with Angel, and to not die to Eletrolize, or to Path without me getting a land. Still, will test more splits.

Cloudshift seem an interesting card to add. It makes T3 kills way more viable (T1 Hadda, T2 Akoum, T3 Jwari + Cloudshift). That said, Bolt does nearly the same thing (they go to 1). Dodging removal may be something better though. Need to try it out.

Thanks all for the inputs again. Keep'em coming! =D

poopiedonut
03-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I'd favor bolt over shift. Bolt is an interactive card and can give you an opening when you really need one.

poopiedonut
03-13-2013, 12:31 PM
I've been working on my own list since i saw this one. I'm testing a 2 of call to the kindred. Will let you know how i like it.

poopiedonut
03-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Call to the kindred isn't working out.. Going to test some more ideas and keep updating you guys.