PDA

View Full Version : [DECK] Tezzerator (U/x Trinket Toolbox)

Mr. Froggy
04-28-2013, 04:43 PM
First, the decklist:

Lands:
1 Academy Ruins
1 Breeding Pool
3 Darksteel Citadel
7 Island
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Tolaria West

Toolbox:
1 Chalice of the Void
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Pithing Needle
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Vedalken Shackles

Utility:
2 Firespout
4 Galvanic Blast
2 Blood Moon
2 Cryptic Command
3 Spell Snare
4 Thirst for Knowledge

Planeswalker:
3 Tezzeret the Seeker

Creatures:
3 Trinket Mage
3 Vendilion Clique

SB:
3 Nature's Claim
1 Blood Moon
2 Firespout
1 Pithing Needle
1 Witchbane Orb
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Spellskite
1 Batterskull
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Crucible of Worlds
2 Counterflux

I was looking for a deck in Modern (as much as I don't like the format), and remembered my fondness for Tezzerator back in old-Ext. I Googled it and saw someone (mdilthey on MTGSalvation) had already ported it to Modern, and used his basis for my decklist.

I tested it a bit and as of yet, I like what I'm seeing. I'll try it some more and get back to you guys with a more detailed OP (and maybe a Primer if I become good enough with the deck).

For now, every Tron variant I've played against is basically a bye for Tezzerator (and there are a lot of those on MTGO). I don't even think its worth SB against them, in all honesty, but I do run +1 Blood Moon and +1 Crucible (+Tectonic Edge = win vs Tron) just in case.

From my own observations, I don't like Galvanic Blast at all, but maybe it'll show its merits soon. I don't what I would replace it with though.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Enjoy!

Canarias4life
04-28-2013, 06:03 PM
I was playing a tezzerator deck but im not running Ur version, I was running Ub. This was my deck list:

3 Vendilion Clique
3 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Chalice of the Void
4 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Vedalken Shackles
1 Pithing needle
3 Remand/ spell pierce
2 Cryptic Command
1 Ensnaring bridge
1 Damnation-
1 Executioner's Capsule
1 Black suns zenith
1 Trading post
3 doom blade

3 Darksteel Citadel
7 Island
2 Marsh Flats
4 Watery Grave
1 Academy Ruins
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Buried ruins
1 Gargoyle castle
3 Misty rainforest
1 Urborg, tomb of
1 Swamp

Sideboard

3 Duress
1 Batterskull
1 Expedition map
1 Ghost quarter
3 Extirpate
1 Pithing needle
1 Nihil spellbomb
2 Gifts ungiven
1 Crucible of worlds

I didn't run red because black is better vs Control/ Combo

vs Agro I think Firespout is better than damnation
vs Tron Blood Moon isn't as effective as Ghost quarter+ extirpate

But red version has: pyrite spellbomb and galvanic blast

pyrite spellbomb, is faster than executioner's capsule and with academy ruins or buried ruins + crucible or trading post is other win condition

galvanic blast, is a removal or burn, it's better than doom blade. It's more useful

Mr. Froggy
04-28-2013, 08:57 PM
I was thinking of cutting Green and either adding Black or White.

I'll test some more and see.

kombatkiwi
04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
This seems pretty cool, when I opened the thread I assumed it would be about the UB Tezzeret.
Is there anything better you can do with Tezzeret's +1 other than untap Citadels?
I think having Crypt and Relic in the list in the OP is excessive.

Both lists seem kind of untuned but I'm quite interested in testing this

Mr. Froggy
04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
This seems pretty cool, when I opened the thread I assumed it would be about the UB Tezzeret.
Is there anything better you can do with Tezzeret's +1 other than untap Citadels?
I think having Crypt and Relic in the list in the OP is excessive.

Both lists seem kind of untuned but I'm quite interested in testing this

Back in old Extended you could untap your lands and what-not, but since the artifact lands are banned, there's not much more you can do. Also, the Crypt and Relics are slots I wasn't sure about, but I think I like Crypt more since it costs 0.

EDIT: I was thinking about adding Mox Opal maybe as a 2-of, to help out with the crazy manabase.

kombatkiwi
04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Back in old Extended you could untap your lands and what-not, but since the artifact lands are banned, there's not much more you can do. Also, the Crypt and Relics are slots I wasn't sure about, but I think I like Crypt more since it costs 0.

EDIT: I was thinking about adding Mox Opal maybe as a 2-of, to help out with the crazy manabase.

Depending on how reliably you can get metalcraft you might just be better off playing signets/talismans, or even something like Coalition Relic

Mr. Froggy
04-29-2013, 10:06 AM
It's true, I have difficulty getting metalcraft, even with all the artifacts I run... I thought of the signets actually, they might be of help.

(nameless one)
04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Before I had my Mono-U Tron, I was trying I make this work.

I never liked Mox Opal. It was too conditional.

The last list I was working on included Reshape + a single Lotus Bloom.

The Reshape was for additional toolbox. It also helped with turn 3 Tezz. I never really got into it as I'm not very big into Modern and Mono-U Tron was enough for me.

My list didn't run Cryptic Commands and Cliques because of budget issues. Instead it ran Squelches. Squelching a Fetchland or a Karn makes me feel fuzzy inside.

Mr. Froggy
04-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Clique is game-breaking! It's an amazing creature to run. But yes, it is an expensive card.

Also, I noticed that Tezz doesn't come into play as much as I'd like because when I do play him, I'm already winning.

Trinket Mage is awesome, as usual, and running 3 is the perfect number I find.

Canarias4life
04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
What's your deck list?

Mr. Froggy
04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
What's your deck list?

Lands:
1 Academy Ruins
1 Breeding Pool
3 Darksteel Citadel
7 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Tolaria West

Toolbox:
1 Chalice of the Void
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Pithing Needle
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Vedalken Shackles

Utility:
2 Firespout
4 Galvanic Blast
2 Blood Moon
2 Cryptic Command
3 Spell Snare
4 Thirst for Knowledge

Planeswalker:
3 Tezzeret the Seeker

Creatures:
3 Trinket Mage
3 Vendilion Clique

SB:
3 Nature's Claim
1 Blood Moon
2 Firespout
1 Pithing Needle
1 Witchbane Orb
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Spellskite
1 Batterskull
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Crucible of Worlds
2 Counterflux

(nameless one)
04-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Clique is game-breaking! It's an amazing creature to run. But yes, it is an expensive card.

Also, I noticed that Tezz doesn't come into play as much as I'd like because when I do play him, I'm already winning.

Trinket Mage is awesome, as usual, and running 3 is the perfect number I find.

@Tezz coming in "late":

This was the reason why I started running the Reshape into Lotus Bloom it's essentially a one shot Grim Monolith.

Turn 3 Tezz is great. I was also trying Myr Superion; but a three card, five mana 5/6 doesn't always sound feasible.

Blood Moon is the great equalizer of the deck.

Mr. Froggy
04-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Blood Moon is amazing. It gives games vs many decks in Modern.

kombatkiwi
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
The Lotus Bloom sounds kind of rubbish.
You don't have any artifact that you can sac for value so it's a straight up minus-2 play to reshape into a bloom into a Tezz (analogous to ritual-ritual-tezz, for example, if such a thing were possible).
Then you can either plus your tezz to untap either nothing or something irrelevant (considering you had to sac an artifact to get it into play and you have basically nothing good in your deck that Tezzeret can untap) or search for an artifact and expose Tezz to lightning-bolt-death.

If your opponent has no pressure then Reshaping into bloom into Tezz into -0 get a citadel into play seems possibly fine, I guess? If you draw lotus bloom early then you can suspend it for a natural Tezz but if you draw it late then it's a bit crap because your curve doesn't even go very high anyway (also means you're unlikely to ever search for it with Tezz's second ability)

An idea that I had was a BUG list, because you know, Deathrite

4 Catacombs
4 Rainforest
1 Island
1 Forest
1 Swamp
1 Urborg, toY
1 Breeding Pool
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Watery Grave
3 Citadel
3 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Academy Ruins
1 Ghost Quarter/Tec Edge/The 4th Citadel/Whatever
24 Lands

4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Trinket Mage
7 Creatures

1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pithing Needle
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Vedalken Shackles
1 Executioner's Capsule
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Scepter of Fugue
5 more Artifacts GG not sure which take your pick
13 Artifacts

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
3 Spell Snare
16 Other Spells

As I was writing this I thought the main downside of playing 3 colours would be that it makes moon unplayable
I got to the artifact part of the deck and realised that it also makes Shackles pretty shit
You can work around it a bit by splitting some Catacombs into tarns and cutting the Tarpits for more islands but then you lose a lot of the benefit of playing the different colour combination anyway.

URx is probably the way to go

Canarias4life
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
If you want to play BUG this would be your list:

4 verdant Catacombs
4 misty Rainforest
3 Island
1 Forest
2 Swamp
1 Urborg, toY
1 Breeding Pool
4 Watery Grave
4 darksteel Citadel
1 Academy Ruins

3 vendilion clique

3 Trinket Mage
2 spellskite

2 Pithing Needle
1 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Vedalken Shackles
1 Executioner's Capsule
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Scepter of Fugue ( I've never tried)

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
3 Spell pierce

(nameless one)
04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
@Lotus Bloom.

What you said is true. The reason why I have Bloom though is because I was running Reshape. Reshape was the additional tutor. Bloom is just a possible target.

I can't really vouch for that strategy as I have since abandoned it though I'd still like to revisit Tezzerator as a strategy.

firebadmattgood
04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
This was a BUG tezzerator list I tried to mediocre results at a PTQ a few months back:

2 ensnaring bridge
1 relic of progenitus
3 talisman of dominance
1 pithing needle

4 deathrite shaman
3 spellskite

3 abrupt decay
1 disfigure
2 dismember
3 spell snare

3 Liliana of the veil
3 tezzeret agent of bolas

2 damnation
4 inquisition of kozilek
1 maelstrom pulse

1 academy ruins
1 breeding pool
4 darkslick shores
4 darksteel citadel
1 island
1 swamp
1 forest
2 ghost quarter
3 verdant catacombs
3 scalding tarn
1 overgrown tomb
2 watery gave

Side
3 pithing needle
4 spreading seas
1 dismember
2 echoing truth
1 flash freeze
2 natures claim
2 negate

The deck just crushes the BGx shell with lilliana + bridge + spellskite, but it has almost no game against tron or either flavor of UWR.

Mr. Froggy
04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
If you want to play BUG this would be your list:

4 verdant Catacombs
4 misty Rainforest
3 Island
1 Forest
2 Swamp
1 Urborg, toY
1 Breeding Pool
4 Watery Grave
4 darksteel Citadel
1 Academy Ruins

3 vendilion clique

3 Trinket Mage
2 spellskite

2 Pithing Needle
1 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Vedalken Shackles
1 Executioner's Capsule
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Scepter of Fugue ( I've never tried)

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
3 Spell pierce

I really like this list!

Mr. Froggy
04-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Elixir of Immortality is BOSS

Canarias4life
05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Froggy are you trying Ur tezzerator? what are the results?

Mr. Froggy
05-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I'm testing Ugr, and as of yet, I like what I'm seeing. It has game vs a lot of the field in Modern, and Elixir is amazing!

Canarias4life
05-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Ajá I wait for your impressions ! I'm thinking back to build my tezzerator but I don't know if I should play Ugr or Ub

r3dd09
05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Glad to see tezzerator is getting some play.

I tried to build a tezz deck when modern was announced, but it was difficult against the meta at the time.

I also just got in 5 german foil tezz*DD*, I know where 4 are going now. ;)

Mr. Froggy
05-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Glad to see tezzerator is getting some play.

I tried to build a tezz deck when modern was announced, but it was difficult against the meta at the time.

I also just got in 5 german foil tezz*DD*, I know where 4 are going now. ;)

Maybe not 4 :P 4 is kind of overkill actually, 3 is a good number ;)

(nameless one)
05-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Had anyone tried U/r/w combinations? I played against someone on Cockatrice before (I was playing Mono-U Tron) with the same combinations.

He had maindeck Leyline of Sanctity, Ensnaring Bridge, SOA Elspeth among other things. He had Tezz but his engine was more based on Trinket Mage and TfK.

Mr. Froggy
05-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I haven't tried W yet, I want to for PtE because Galvanic Blast hasn't been pulling its weight..

(nameless one)
05-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Since I'm "give suggestions" mode, has anyone looked at Ral Zarek?

If only there was a something like Grim Monolith or Time Vault in Modern

r3dd09
05-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Maybe not 4 :P 4 is kind of overkill actually, 3 is a good number ;)

I agree, I'm just trying to find a home for the floater :(

Canarias4life
05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Mr. Froggy if you want to play Uw tezzerator you could try this:

Lands (22)
1 Watery Grave
1 Steam Vents
3 Darksteel Citadel
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Academy Ruins
1 Ghost Quarter
8 Island
3 Plains
1 Gargoyle Castle
1 Buried Ruin
Spells (39)
1 Azorius Signet
2 Talisman of Progress
3 Trinket Mage
1 Sundering Titan
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Spellskite
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Gifts Ungiven
1 Condemn
2 Path to Exile
3 Tezzeret the Seeker
2 Wrath of God/ Timely reinforcement
1 Unburial Rites
4 Remand
2 Chalice of the Void
1 Pithing Needle
2 Vedalken Shackles
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Crucible of Worlds

Or try Ub version with doom blade/ abrupt decay

(nameless one)
05-05-2013, 03:55 AM

Mox Opal kinda sucks. The deck doesn't really hit Metalcraft reliably. This is very much the same dilemma as Galvanic Blast.

You know what untaps your land: Ral Zarek. He is also a Lightning Bolt if you need him to be.

Remember when everyone was saying Super Jace was a 4 mana Brainstorm? Brainstorm is the king of Legacy. You know what's the king of Modern: Lightning Bolt!

A Planeswalker that can Lightning Bolt at least once a turn? Wow! (see: Ajani Vengeant)

Elixir of Immortality is BOSS

I will keep this in mind. Not only it gains you life, it can also shuffle back your graveyard, so you can search for your trinket again! Talk about value town!

Ajá I wait for your impressions ! I'm thinking back to build my tezzerator but I don't know if I should play Ugr or Ub

How good is the UB Tezz over the blue Tezz? Can Grixis Tezzerator pull his weight?

I haven't tried W yet, I want to for PtE because Galvanic Blast hasn't been pulling its weight..

Why not Lightning Bolt over Blast?

Although if you must try the white splash, I found this list off of another deck at Salvation:

1 Tolaria West
1 Academy Ruins
1 Plains
3 Mystic Gate
1 Island
3 Tectonic Edge
3 Celestial Colonnade
3 Adarkar Wastes
3 Hallowed Fountain
4 Darksteel Citadel

1 Mox Opal
3 Talisman of Progress
3 Azorius Signet

4 Ghostly Prison
1 Day of Judgment
3 Wrath of God
4 Leyline of Sanctity

1 Thopter Foundry
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Trinisphere
1 Trading Post
1 Torpor Orb
1 Crucible of Worlds
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Pithing Needle

4 Tezzeret the Seeker
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

It's under the R/W lockdown deck.

The artifact that caught my eyes is Trading Post. I've always though this card had potential in Modern.

Also, would controlling your opponent's top deck be a viable strategy in Modern (ala Super Jace's Fateseal ability?)

What about Codex Shredder + Lantern of Insight?

Both can be fetchable by Tezz and Trinket Mage.

Also, what's the consensus on Epochrasite and Myr Superion as Tezz targets?

Mr. Froggy
05-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Mox Opal kinda sucks. The deck doesn't really hit Metalcraft reliably. This is very much the same dilemma as Galvanic Blast.

You know what untaps your land: Ral Zarek. He is also a Lightning Bolt if you need him to be.

Remember when everyone was saying Super Jace was a 4 mana Brainstorm? Brainstorm is the king of Legacy. You know what's the king of Modern: Lightning Bolt!

A Planeswalker that can Lightning Bolt at least once a turn? Wow! (see: Ajani Vengeant)

I will keep this in mind. Not only it gains you life, it can also shuffle back your graveyard, so you can search for your trinket again! Talk about value town!

How good is the UB Tezz over the blue Tezz? Can Grixis Tezzerator pull his weight?

Why not Lightning Bolt over Blast?

Although if you must try the white splash, I found this list off of another deck at Salvation:

1 Tolaria West
1 Academy Ruins
1 Plains
3 Mystic Gate
1 Island
3 Tectonic Edge
3 Celestial Colonnade
3 Adarkar Wastes
3 Hallowed Fountain
4 Darksteel Citadel

1 Mox Opal
3 Talisman of Progress
3 Azorius Signet

4 Ghostly Prison
1 Day of Judgment
3 Wrath of God
4 Leyline of Sanctity

1 Thopter Foundry
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Trinisphere
1 Trading Post
1 Torpor Orb
1 Crucible of Worlds
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Pithing Needle

4 Tezzeret the Seeker
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

It's under the R/W lockdown deck.

The artifact that caught my eyes is Trading Post. I've always though this card had potential in Modern.

Also, would controlling your opponent's top deck be a viable strategy in Modern (ala Super Jace's Fateseal ability?)

What about Codex Shredder + Lantern of Insight?

Both can be fetchable by Tezz and Trinket Mage.

Also, what's the consensus on Epochrasite and Myr Superion as Tezz targets?

I like Ral Zarek, and I think I will change Galvanic for Lightning Bolt instead... Metalcraft is too conditional..

kombatkiwi
05-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Ral Zarek is probably okay, I would say as like a 2 of maximum, it seems reasonable and does some good things. I really question your logic in putting him in the Mox slot though but I guess I can ignore that.

The biggest part of Elixir is that it gains life and shuffles back so you can trinket/tezz for it again and gain more life: against some decks gaining 10 life is probably an autowin. I'm not sure if it's worth playing this maindeck with the inherent card disadvantage it brings because the effect is quite narrow.

The UB Tezz is doing something completely different:
-You need a much higher density of artifacts in your deck to hit off the +1
-You want to be a deck that attacks as part of its core gameplan otherwise the second ability doesn't do a lot (or boss synergies like Inkmoth)
-You want to have a lot of artifacts in play (and take your opponent down a bit of life first) for the ultimate to do anything. Therefore you also want your artifacts to be cheap so that you can cast a bunch into play quickly (this also synergises with the +1 ability a lot more).

For this reason the UB version of Tezzeret functions much better as a finisher for an affinity style deck than as a sort of expensive-phyrexian-arena-with-upside in a control deck. Because the threats in modern are significantly better than they were in Shouta-Tezzeret-era standard you can't realistically protect your planeswalkers (and not die to your opponent) and simultaneously play enough artifacts to make UB Tezzeret functional in that controlling role.

Why not lighting bolt over blast? Why not blast over lightning bolt? This is very much NOT the same dilemma as playing Mox Opal. Mox Opal needs early metalcraft to be relevant because if your 0-mana source does nothing until turn 4 or 5 then it probably would have been better as a signet. The same is not true for a spell that does 2 damage turn 1-4 and then 4 damage from turn 5-ish onwards. While you can't hit metalcraft 'reliably', in the sense that you won't have it turn 1 or turn 2 every game like an affinity deck, you will have metalcraft 'reliably' in the sense that (unless your opponent draws infinite removal for all your artifacts) as the game progresses you will eventually build a board that has 3 artifacts on it. A lot of the creatures in the format die to lightning bolt OR shock: Deathrite, Bob, Delver, Clique, Snapcaster, whatever. There are also quite a few creatures that die to 4 damage but not three: Loxodon Smiter, Flipped Huntmaster, Colonnade, Resto, Germ Token etc. To make an argument for Bolt over G-Blast you have to provide a relevant list of creatures that die to 3 damage but not 2 (Kird Ape?) and I can't really make a case for this. Froggy must surely have some examples if he was complaining about Gblast underperforming so I'd like to hear his opinions.

That UW List is complete trash. (PRO TIP OF THE DAY: don't get lists from MTGS)
-4 Ghostly Prison and 4 Leyline and 3 Ensnaring Bridge (AND NO TFK) means every game you will have way too many dead cards.
-4 Wraths as your only removal in a hard-control deck (The 1-3 Wrath/DoJ split because why the fuck not).
-Tolaria West can't find anything except more lands
-Not playing 4 colonnade or 4 Tec Edge in your 2-color 30-mana-source no-turn-1-play deck
-MD Trinishpere

If the takeaway is that maybe we should play trading post then I think that's reasonable
-Gains life
-Makes blockers
-Draws cards
-Returns artifacts
None of these abilities are super attractive for the cost of the post but it has so much utility that I can see it performing well in a wide range of situations. The really nice thing is that it's such a good artifact to untap with tezzeret, something the current builds in this thread are seriously lacking.

Your codex/lantern wombo combo is awful. Jace fateseal is good because you stop them from drawing some of their good cards while also ramping the jace that you have in play. Spending 2 cards just to have a fateseal every turn is really quite bad.

I don't think you want to play either Epochrasite or Myr Superion.
If you want Epochrasite then you're planning to block with it and then have it come back so you can block with it again, hopefully being able to block/kill enough of their guys that you can then start attacking with your Epochrasite. I think that getting to the "yay my Epochrasite is a wincon" stage is so unlikely that if you need blockers you'd rather just play Spellskites (which have added awesome utility against Twin/Burn/Decay/Infect/Bogle).
Myr Superion is both better at attacking AND blocking than Epochrasite, but obviously not being able to cast it is very awkward. If I had to play either one I would go for the Superion just because its impact is more immediate (you can just pitch it to TFK if you draw it) but it's pretty awkward having a 5/6 as a wincon in your Ensnaring Bridge deck

Mr. Froggy
05-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't have any examples I can think of, right now at least, but every time I played G Blast, I would always wish it were Bolt. The 1-extra damage would provide the reach I needed, where G Blast wouldn't do it. Blast has only really been a Shock for me, and it sucks because of that.. -_-

Canarias4life
05-05-2013, 03:47 PM
kombatkiwi when I said Ub tezzerator I wanted to say Ub tezzerator with Tezzeret the seeker and not Tezzeret agent of Bolas.

bruizar
05-06-2013, 04:21 AM
I honestly don't see why you would run tezz the seeker over tezz agent of bolas. What artifacts are you going to grab? there is no sword of the meek nor time vault in this format. E.Bridge is decent but is that enough? The rest of the artifacts just kind of suck..

Mr. Froggy
05-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Vedalken Shackles is one, and it's an amazing target in all honesty.

Canarias4life
05-06-2013, 08:50 AM
pithing needle, spellskite are other amazing target

bruizar
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Oh, I definitely agree that Vedalken Shackles is an awesome target, but with decks packing ancient grudge as hate for affinity, I think you either need a good way of stopping splash-hate or you need to have such a high density of artifacts that their hate becomes inconsequential. I guess you could board in Welding Jar to circumvent Abrupt Decay on Shackles or Ensnaring Bridge, but you still have to deal with Ancient Grudge in an efficient manner. How do you guys plan on dealing with that?

Mr. Froggy
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Academy Ruins helps a lot in that regard, and with the lack of Wasteland in Modern, it's even better.

(nameless one)
05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Ral Zarek is probably okay, I would say as like a 2 of maximum, it seems reasonable and does some good things. I really question your logic in putting him in the Mox slot though but I guess I can ignore that.

Not in the Mox slot. Based on Frogger's list, I would either put him on the Cryptic Command or Clique slot.

The biggest part of Elixir is that it gains life and shuffles back so you can trinket/tezz for it again and gain more life: against some decks gaining 10 life is probably an autowin. I'm not sure if it's worth playing this maindeck with the inherent card disadvantage it brings because the effect is quite narrow.

It's still a good silver bullet. You're not going to fetch it all the time but if you need it, it's always going to be there.

There's a lot of aggro decks in Modern. If you survive up to turn 5, Elixir will help you stabilize.

The UB Tezz is doing something completely different:
-You need a much higher density of artifacts in your deck to hit off the +1
-You want to be a deck that attacks as part of its core gameplan otherwise the second ability doesn't do a lot (or boss synergies like Inkmoth)
-You want to have a lot of artifacts in play (and take your opponent down a bit of life first) for the ultimate to do anything. Therefore you also want your artifacts to be cheap so that you can cast a bunch into play quickly (this also synergises with the +1 ability a lot more).

For this reason the UB version of Tezzeret functions much better as a finisher for an affinity style deck than as a sort of expensive-phyrexian-arena-with-upside in a control deck. Because the threats in modern are significantly better than they were in Shouta-Tezzeret-era standard you can't realistically protect your planeswalkers (and not die to your opponent) and simultaneously play enough artifacts to make UB Tezzeret functional in that controlling role.

I see what you're saying and it makes sense. I guess it all depends on how you want to pilot the deck. Personally I like the toolbox feel of the mono-blue Tezz

Why not lighting bolt over blast? Why not blast over lightning bolt? This is very much NOT the same dilemma as playing Mox Opal. Mox Opal needs early metalcraft to be relevant because if your 0-mana source does nothing until turn 4 or 5 then it probably would have been better as a signet. The same is not true for a spell that does 2 damage turn 1-4 and then 4 damage from turn 5-ish onwards. While you can't hit metalcraft 'reliably', in the sense that you won't have it turn 1 or turn 2 every game like an affinity deck, you will have metalcraft 'reliably' in the sense that (unless your opponent draws infinite removal for all your artifacts) as the game progresses you will eventually build a board that has 3 artifacts on it. A lot of the creatures in the format die to lightning bolt OR shock: Deathrite, Bob, Delver, Clique, Snapcaster, whatever. There are also quite a few creatures that die to 4 damage but not three: Loxodon Smiter, Flipped Huntmaster, Colonnade, Resto, Germ Token etc. To make an argument for Bolt over G-Blast you have to provide a relevant list of creatures that die to 3 damage but not 2 (Kird Ape?) and I can't really make a case for this. Froggy must surely have some examples if he was complaining about Gblast underperforming so I'd like to hear his opinions.

If that's the case then, wouldn't Flame Slash be better?

On Metalcraft: when I first tested this deck, Mox Opal is always underwhelming because it can never hit Metalcraft consistently. How I only wish Chrome Mox was legal in this format.

That UW List is complete trash. (PRO TIP OF THE DAY: don't get lists from MTGS)

-4 Ghostly Prison and 4 Leyline and 3 Ensnaring Bridge (AND NO TFK) means every game you will have way too many dead cards.
-4 Wraths as your only removal in a hard-control deck (The 1-3 Wrath/DoJ split because why the fuck not).
-Tolaria West can't find anything except more lands
-Not playing 4 colonnade or 4 Tec Edge in your 2-color 30-mana-source no-turn-1-play deck
-MD Trinishpere

I'm not saying copy the whole list. I was just suggesting and showing the list and see if there's a "tech" in that list. After all, someone asked for a U/W list. I wouldn't play that list.

Also, at your protip: tell that to Finn

If the takeaway is that maybe we should play trading post then I think that's reasonable
-Gains life
-Makes blockers
-Draws cards
-Returns artifacts
None of these abilities are super attractive for the cost of the post but it has so much utility that I can see it performing well in a wide range of situations. The really nice thing is that it's such a good artifact to untap with tezzeret, something the current builds in this thread are seriously lacking.

It's just a great tool over all. Is it worth the spot in the main? (not easily Tutorable by Tezz). I tried Trading Post in mono-blue Tron before and it keeps getting sided out. Maybe I'd be good here.

Your codex/lantern wombo combo is awful. Jace fateseal is good because you stop them from drawing some of their good cards while also ramping the jace that you have in play. Spending 2 cards just to have a fateseal every turn is really quite bad.

If one card did all this, maybe. But two card, I see your point. Also, it's a late game thing. No one in their right mind will Fateseal Jace if they're behind on the board. I'm sure this applies to any logic.

I don't think you want to play either Epochrasite or Myr Superion.
If you want Epochrasite then you're planning to block with it and then have it come back so you can block with it again, hopefully being able to block/kill enough of their guys that you can then start attacking with your Epochrasite. I think that getting to the "yay my Epochrasite is a wincon" stage is so unlikely that if you need blockers you'd rather just play Spellskites (which have added awesome utility against Twin/Burn/Decay/Infect/Bogle).
Myr Superion is both better at attacking AND blocking than Epochrasite, but obviously not being able to cast it is very awkward. If I had to play either one I would go for the Superion just because its impact is more immediate (you can just pitch it to TFK if you draw it) but it's pretty awkward having a 5/6 as a wincon in your Ensnaring Bridge deck

You're not always going to tutor for Myr Superion. If you need Bridge then you go get Bridge. If you need a quick beatdown before your opponent stabilizes (like sticking a Blood Moon against Tron), you get Superion. It's a silver bullet, not the main strategy.

I honestly don't see why you would run tezz the seeker over tezz agent of bolas. What artifacts are you going to grab? there is no sword of the meek nor time vault in this format. E.Bridge is decent but is that enough? The rest of the artifacts just kind of suck..

I was thinking about this.

Then I got ideas from all the wierd lists I've seen in Cockatrice before:

Thopter Foundry with Crucible + Darksteel Citadel. I'm sure it's not as efficient as Sword of the Meek, but recurring Ghost Quarters isn't that bad too. Also, that list had Myr Servitor. It didn't have Tezzerator, but it ran Trash for Treasure.

Jank? Yes. Possible? Not sure. Definitely needs testing.

What about Storage Matrix? If you're losing, grab the proper silver bullet with Tezz. If you're good and want to keep your opponent from stabilizing, Storage Matrix might have its merits.

I am still convinced that Reshape can help this deck. It's no Tinker but the deck still revolves around Silver Bullets.

On a different note, I want to add that Chalice @ 2 is awesome in Modern.

PS. Typing all that on an iPhone is a bitch and a half

bruizar
05-08-2013, 05:01 AM
This is how I would do it:

//Land 21
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Academy Ruins
4 Darksteel Citadel
3 Watery Grave
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Island
1 Swamp
//Discard (5)
2 Thoughtseize
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
//Spells (7)
3 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Damnation
2 Abrupt Decay
//Mana Trinkets (6)
2 Talisman of Dominance
4 Mox Opal
//Trinkets & Engine (10)
4 Artificer's Intuition
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Expedition Map
1 Pithing Needle
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Nihil Spellbomb
//Planeswalkers (11)
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
1 Rings of Brighthearth
2 Ensnaring Bridge

I'd commit 1 land to a sideboard color-splash. Currently it supports green for 2 maindeck Abrupt Decay and sideboard Krosan Grip for Stony Silence, but it could also be a white splash using Geist of Saint Traft, Esper Charm and Shizo, Death's Storehouse. Not sure which route is better. I can't use Myr Servitor unfortunately because I don't have the space and Deathrite Shaman would eat them up anyway if I can't find a Pithing Needle. Also, there is Detention Sphere which would be terrible. The splash may also be red for Pyrite Spellbomb, but there needs to be a way to get rid of Stony Silence.

Canarias4life
06-04-2013, 05:49 AM
I designed this deck for a change and because I like the strategy:

2 Auriok Salvagers
3 Trinket Mage
2 Vendilion Clique
4 Galvanic blast
2 Spellskite

4 Thirst for Knowledge

1 AEther Spellbomb
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Pithing Needle
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1Relic of Progenitus
2 Vedalken Shackles
4 remand
3 spell pierce

8 Island
4 Scalding tarn
4 steam vents
3darksteel citadel
2 hallowed fountain
1 plains
2 Fetch WB

3 Tezzeret the Seeker

This is to control the game with our artifacts, for this we have: Relic of Progenitus (Snapcaster, Tarmogoyf, reliquaries, etc..) Pithing needle (planeswalker, madlands, etc.) Pyrite Spellbomb (Snapcaster, Vendilion, deathrite, etc) spellmbomb Aether , EE, and to use them with Ariok salvagers. With this and Vedalken shackles + galvanic blast bugs have enough control over, plus we have a copy of ensnaring bridge too. We will win with Vedalken shackles Finally, to death with vendilions + trinket + Auriok with tezzeret or Pyrite Spellbomb + Auriok salvager.

In the side obviously come a blood moon that could go in the main depending on metagame.

PD: How I can put the links of the cards?

mike.wayne
06-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Do most folks just prefer Tezzeret the Seeker to Agent of Bolas? Why?

kombatkiwi
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I outlined my reasoning for that in a post on the first or second page.
At the person a couple of posts above: Relic of progenitus is a nonbo with salvagers because it exiles itself when the ability resolves (your post isn't strictly saying you're trying to do this but I feel like it's worth pointing out)

Canarias4life
06-05-2013, 08:57 AM
kombatkiwi You are right, I could play tormod crypt but or nihil spellbomb with a watery grave. I think these are two better options because don't remove our graveyard and and not exile themselves

Canarias4life
08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Glenn Jones posted an article on Tezzerator.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...s-Of-Life.html

Canarias4life
10-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Is anybody playing the deck?

Mr. Froggy
10-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I want to rebuild the deck, it was pretty good for Modern. Only thing I wish is they'd unban Chrome Mox... it would help the deck so much...

Canarias4life
10-13-2013, 08:21 AM
I want to rebuild the deck, it was pretty good for Modern. Only thing I wish is they'd unban Chrome Mox... it would help the deck so much...

Yes, you are right but I think that the deck could be played. My last version is Urw and I think that aginst KikiPod/Melira, Scapeshift, Tron and agro this deck is ideal. However against control decks as UWR is a bit difficult but not impossible because we have blood moon, defense grid, vedalken shackles... In General is a good deck for Modern if you can play it because is not easy to play

Mr. Froggy
10-20-2013, 04:27 PM
I rebuilt the deck, I missed it too much... :(

Phoenix Ignition
10-20-2013, 05:20 PM
I rebuilt the deck, I missed it too much... :(

If you playtest it a while, post a list you think is good. I wouldn't mind playing around with a Tezz list.

(nameless one)
10-21-2013, 07:35 AM
I don't know about you guys but it feels like Cryptic Command has been the least helpful card (which I have as a 2-off).

I tried using maindeck Blood Moons on that slot. It's okay but I do miss having a recurring Pyrite Spellbomb as my win condition (along with Academy Ruins).

Mr. Froggy
10-21-2013, 08:09 AM
I don't know about you guys but it feels like Cryptic Command has been the least helpful card (which I have as a 2-off).

I tried using maindeck Blood Moons on that slot. It's okay but I do miss having a recurring Pyrite Spellbomb as my win condition (along with Academy Ruins).

I actually really like Cryptic Command, its versatility is amazing.

Canarias4life
10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
nameless one, could you reveal your deck list? Blood moon is a strong card in Modern, it depends on the metagame but against UWR, Scapeshift, Tron... is a very strong card and it opens the possibility of winning. If you are playing against monocolored decks or decks that blood moon doesnt affect, you dont have to play it.

(nameless one)
10-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Its an off-shoot of Glenn Jones's version:

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
8 Island
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Academy Ruins
1 Ghost Quarter

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Trinket Mage
3 Spellskite

2 Engineered Explosives
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Pithing Needle
2 Vedalken Shackles
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mox Opal
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Relic of Progenitus

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Snare
2 Cryptic Command

I am thinking of switching the Commands with either Remands, Spreading Seas or Blood Moons.

Though this is with limited testing. I'll try to set up Cockatrice again so I can play Magic again.

Canarias4life
10-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Nice list. Cryptic command is a good card because its versatile. This is a control deck and you want to play in the late game so Cryptic command is a good option. It allows you return to your hand Ensnaring bridge and then attack doing -5 tezz. I have to say that Im not playing Cryptic Command and isnt neccesary for me. If you think that blood moon MB could be strong in your metagame you have to play Blood moon, maybe over Cryptic.

(nameless one)
10-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I usually get around my own Bridges by Pyrite Spellbomb recursion via Academy Ruins.

By replacing that CCommand with Moons, that could be a challenge. I like hating on non-basic. This is why I am contemplating on Spreading Seas.

Remand would be nice. It sets you up for the late game.

Someone also suggested Izzet Charm.

Canarias4life
10-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Blood moon is better than Spreading seas because it hurts all your oponent's lands
How do you include Remand in your list?
I run spell pierce+ mana leak because this is a control deck and normally is better counter than delay our opponents

Mr. Froggy
10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
I usually get around my own Bridges by Pyrite Spellbomb recursion via Academy Ruins.

By replacing that CCommand with Moons, that could be a challenge. I like hating on non-basic. This is why I am contemplating on Spreading Seas.

Remand would be nice. It sets you up for the late game.

Someone also suggested Izzet Charm.

I like the idea of Izzet Charm, will test.

Mr. Froggy
10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Has anyone ever had a problem with Spell Snare? I find it too situational...

(nameless one)
10-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Not really. It has a lot of early targets ranging from Tarmogoyf to Remand.

When I pilot my Mono Blue Tron, I usually drop Chalice at two. Although it could be a meta call.

Canarias4life
10-24-2013, 07:50 PM
I dont play spell snare, I play Spell pierce because it could counter planeswalkers(liliana), burns, discard... and I think that against creatures we are strong

Mr. Safety
10-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Just curious: why is there no Tron version of Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas? The amount of 1-mana artifacts to turn into 5/5 threats is plenty and it helps with consistency (by playing the traditional 4x Chromatic Star, 4x Chromatic Sphere, and 4x Expedition Map.) With Tron you can play 8 planeswalkers (4x Karn, 4x Tezz AoB) and play the upper end of control features like U/W or Mono-Blue Tron does like Repeal and Oblivion Stone.

Curious if anyone has pursued this route...with blue available to counter Blood Moon or Sowing Salt it seems like a powerful setup.

Phoenix Ignition
10-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Seems like you can do way better stuff if you are playing a tron deck. 5/5 is good, but it's no Wurmcoil/Karn/Ostone/AllisDust and you can't fetch it up with Treasure Mage. Blue is decent for countermagic but black doesn't give you much to protect yourself early on.

Mr. Safety
10-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Black would only be for Tezz AoB. I figured his first ability is about as good as Jace TMS in an artifact-centric deck, his second ability helps you protect him/provide a win-condition, and his ultimate will likely be unneccessary. *shrug* Just curious if it had been pursued. The main reason for using Tron would be for fast Karns and maybe to include Blightsteel Colossus, which can be dug out with Tezz. Yes I understand that Mono-blue Tron does a similar plan, I was just wondering if Tezz AoB was worth splashing black for, along with the right mix of artifacts to make it relevant.

EDIT: Black could provide Thoughtseize, in the main or board, for the combo matchups.

(nameless one)
10-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I was playtesting with this list on Cockatrice under the name Janis Joplin:

8 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
1 Academy Ruins
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

2 Vedalken Shackles
2 Pithing Needle
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Mox Opal
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Chalice of the Void

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Pierce
2 Izzet Charm

Sideboard:
4 Blood Moon
2 Chalice of the Void
2 Defence Grid
1 Elixir of Immortality
3 Firespout
1 Izzet Charm
1 Spell Pierce
1 Torpor Orb

I think I pissed off a lot of people today on Cockatrice. Everyone ragequitted on me on game 2. There were two games when i went on softlock and proceeded to go for the Spell bomb win. I played 8 games and I won them all.

I am a little disappointed though that I didn't really get to test my sideboard. Any advice on it?

Also, does a blind turn 1 Pithing Needle on Deathrite Shaman reasonable? In the one game I had a turn 1 Needle on Shaman, it actually helped me win a game.

Also I wish there was another way to win outside of that and the Tezz win (doesn't work well with Bridges). Trinket Mage beats can only take you so far in a creature-based format.

Mr. Froggy
10-27-2013, 12:09 PM

8 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
1 Academy Ruins
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

2 Vedalken Shackles
2 Pithing Needle
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Mox Opal
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Chalice of the Void

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Pierce
2 Izzet Charm

Sideboard:
4 Blood Moon
2 Chalice of the Void
2 Defence Grid
1 Elixir of Immortality
3 Firespout
1 Izzet Charm
1 Spell Pierce
1 Torpor Orb

I think I pissed off a lot of people today on Cockatrice. Everyone ragequitted on me on game 2. There were two games when i went on softlock and proceeded to go for the Spell bomb win. I played 8 games and I won them all.

I am a little disappointed though that I didn't really get to test my sideboard. Any advice on it?

Also, does a blind turn 1 Pithing Needle on Deathrite Shaman reasonable? In the one game I had a turn 1 Needle on Shaman, it actually helped me win a game.

Also I wish there was another way to win outside of that and the Tezz win (doesn't work well with Bridges). Trinket Mage beats can only take you so far in a creature-based format.

That's why I started running V. Clique in my main, it beats face.

Mr. Safety
10-27-2013, 02:10 PM

8 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
1 Academy Ruins
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

2 Vedalken Shackles
2 Pithing Needle
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Mox Opal
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Chalice of the Void

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Pierce
2 Izzet Charm

Sideboard:
4 Blood Moon
2 Chalice of the Void
2 Defence Grid
1 Elixir of Immortality
3 Firespout
1 Izzet Charm
1 Spell Pierce
1 Torpor Orb

Needling a Shaman is almost always right. I've actually gone the route of siding out my own Shamans for Needles (playing Jund) to beat the mirror. With Scooze available to Modern now, Deathrite's grave hate is a little less important.

Question: why the Breeding Pool in the lands? I orignally thought 'sure, flashing back Ancient Grudge out of the board', but there weren't any. Just a 3rd color for Explosives?

(nameless one)
10-27-2013, 07:37 PM
It's just for EExplosives.

EDIT:

I played a local tournament with the list above. There was 11 people. Mine was modified with 3 of each fetches and + 2 Island. I can't find my Modern-faced blue fetches.

Match 1 vs. Archive Trap.dec.

Game one: he milled me with Nemesis of Reason before I can recur a Bridge.

Sided in Elixir for sure. I can't remember what I boarded for the rest.

Game two: he milled me down to five cards when I got recurring Spellbomb going. I also got got him color-locked thanks to Crucible + Ghost Quarter.

Game three: he durdled long enough for Tezzeret to make angry 5/5 artifacts.

Match 2 vs. Burn.

Game one: I die off of a quick death. I sided in Chalices and Elixir for game two. I think Bridges went out.

Game two: she goes for a turn one Rift Bolt. I go for a turn two chalice at one. Then just Charm whatever went through the chalice. Trinket Mage wins the game.

Game three: Multiple Trinket Mages going for Elixir every time helped me stabilized to help Tezz's ultimate.

Match 3 vs. AuraBogles.

Game one: he goes for a turn one Hexproof Elf. I answer with EE for one. Key Spell Pierces later, I got EE recursion going. He didn't conceded though. He milled himself then time was called. TfK and Charms were all star for digging for answers.

Match 4 vs Jund.

Game one: really long game. Needles on Shaman and Lilly, Ensnaring Bridge, Spellskites to protect them. I managed to Spellbomb kill him before he burned me out with Bolts. Sided in Moons and Elixir for something I can't remember.

Game two: Jund did its think. I had Needle on Shaman and Bridge. But couldn't find another Needle for Lilly. She ultimated and slowly die from there. Time was called since we're not playing for top8, we just played it out.

Game three: It went like this: EOT turn one Blast at his Shaman, turn two Chalice at one for his Bolts, Turn three Blood Moon, turn four Bridge for his Thundermaw Hellkite (in case) and turn five Tezz. He didn't have any basic lands.

TonyRo
10-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Breeding Pool is also for Firespout, don't forget!

I have been testing Tezzerator for a long time (by far my favorite deck in the format), and have been very active on the MTGS thread about the same deck. Just noticed this thread, awesome! Nameless One, our lists are close to identical MD, the only real difference is that I like having a Miren, the Moaning Well for Shackles and general life gain if necessary, and that I am -3 Spell Pierce, +3 Spell Snare, -1 Izzet Charm, +1 Cryptic Command. I actually don't like Cryptic (this deck has a fairly high curve as is) all that much, but I like having a bounce spell for Bridge late game if I have to ultimate Tezzeret to win. I am also splashing a Hallowed Fountain instead of Breeding Pool and playing a Wear//Tear in the SB so I have an out to Stony Silence. I might try cutting the Cryptic, and perhaps a 1/2 split between Spell Pierce and Spell Snare is best - keeps people guessing!?

How have the Spell Pierces been for you? When Jund (though I see the value in hitting Lili and Pulse, Goyf and Bob are pretty scary as well) and Affinity are two of the best decks in the format, I sort of prefer Spell Snare, but against Tron and Splinter Twin Spell Snare isn't particularly great. I am also beginning to wonder about MD Grafdigger's Cage - against Affinity, Tron, and Jund it's completely dead, but against Pod it's pretty insane. I wonder if it's correct these days to put it in the SB for something that's general purpose. I dunno.

Good call on the Elixir in the SB - I played in a MODO Premier Event yesterday and cut it from my list before the tournament, thinking "No one is going to play Burn in a PE", and immediately lost to Burn round 1, even after putting a Chalice 1 T2.

I am also starting to wonder whether or not Pyroclasm is just better than Firespout. Firespout dodges Spell Snare, but something against Affinity you're already close to dead on Turn 3. I also really don't like having to worry about finding the green mana in case of things like Delver or random Faeries. Even against Affinity, the green mana is a must.

I also wonder if going down to one Defense Grid is good now - UWR has sort of fallen off of the map a bit, at least online.

kombatkiwi
10-29-2013, 03:55 AM
If you need a way to get rid of ensnaring bridge for tezz ults and you're already playing Miren you can just eat the bridge with the land after you turn it into a 5/5

(nameless one)
10-29-2013, 07:16 AM
@ V. Cliques: while I like the disruption, for some reason it still can't fly through the bridge.

@ Pool vs Fountain: while Wear/Tear is cool, wouldn't Nature's Claim achieve the same thing? How often do you want to remove two things?

@ Cryptic Command: originally I didn't have it. I find Izzet Charm is almost identical. It's usually played on turn 3-4, either digging for your lock piece or supporting it. While Ccommand does the same thing but on turn 4-6, when you want to play your lock pieces or Tezz. For late game, you can use it to mill artifacts in your yard (Academy is a wonderful thing), basically extra TfKs.

@ Spell Pierce vs Snare: I used to run Snares but I find myself not really piercing anything. Goyf can be bridged out of the game. Bob eats Blasts. Against U/W midrange, both spells do the same thing. I find after the switch, my turn one play is always go for Fetch go with either a Snare or Blast waiting.

@ Pyroclasm vs Firespout: well the purpose of those card is to slow aggro. I would imagine Pyroclasm would be more effective.

@ Sideboarding: I don't usually play Modern. My buddies play Modern. That's what they suggested for the sideboard. The only ones that were there for certain were Moons and Firespout.

I might be playing another one this weekend. I could really use some sideboard advice.

Mr. Froggy
10-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Has anyone tried out Swan Song instead of Spell Pierce?

(nameless one)
10-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Giving them a 2/2 flying could be an issue. Granted that 2/2 can be answered from Blast to EE. Also, it doesnt stop planeswalkers. Pierce is always for the must counters like burn, Pod, Liliana among other things.

I'll give it a try on Cockatrice when I get time to play.

On the other hand, this is how my sideboard looks like right now. I honestly know the whole dynamics of the Modern meta but I would imagine this works:

4 Blood Moon - For greedy manabases
3 Firespout - For Weenie/Tokens
3 Nature's Claim - For Stony Silence and Pod(?)
2 Defence Grid - For U/W control
1 Chalice of the Void - For Burn
1 Elixir of Immortality - For Burn and Mill
1 Torpor Orb - For Pod

Did I cover everything? I think I am missing Scapeshift. Would Blood Moon be good against them.

Also what I remember for playing with Mono-U Tron, would Chalice at two still be good against W/U/r decks?

Imperial
10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Not really. It has a lot of early targets ranging from Tarmogoyf to Remand.

When I pilot my Mono Blue Tron, I usually drop Chalice at two. Although it could be a meta call.

Do you run any Chalices main?

(nameless one)
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Do you run any Chalices main?

I run one. Here's how my main looks like:

8 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
1 Academy Ruins
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

2 Vedalken Shackles
2 Pithing Needle
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Mox Opal
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Chalice of the Void

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Pierce
2 Izzet Charm

Imperial
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
I run one. Here's how my main looks like:

8 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
1 Academy Ruins
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter

3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

2 Vedalken Shackles
2 Pithing Needle
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Mox Opal
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Chalice of the Void

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Pierce
2 Izzet Charm

Interesting. How has it been for you? Most of the Trinket/Tezzerator lists I've seen recently have cut them out for a couple more Shackles. By the way, nice list. :smile:

(nameless one)
10-30-2013, 04:32 PM
I have no complains. Maybe go to 61 with an additional Spellskite.

I like Trinket Mage. It usually find the following for me: EE, Needle, Cage and Spellbomb. The added blocker is a plus. Its good card advantage overall.

TheBoozeCube
10-30-2013, 07:41 PM
I've been playing a BUG list for a bit now. It still needs some tuning, but it's been pretty strong so far:

1*Spellskite*
2*Tezzeret the Seeker*
4*Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas*
3*Trinket Mage*
3*Wall of Tanglecord*
1*Wurmcoil Engine*
3*Abrupt Decay*
1*Artificer's Intuition*
1*Batterskull*
2*Contagion Clasp*
3*Damnation*
1*Engineered Explosives*
2*Ensnaring Bridge*
3*Everflowing Chalice*
1*Grafdigger's Cage*
2*Maelstrom Pulse*
1*Mox Opal*
1*Nihil Spellbomb*
1*Pithing Needle*
1*Trading Post*
2*Academy Ruins*
1*Breeding Pool*
4*Darksteel Citadel*
1*Forest*
2*Glimmervoid*
3*Island*
3*Misty Rainforest*
1*Overgrown Tomb*
2*Swamp*
3*Verdant Catacombs*
1*Watery Grave*
Sideboard:
1*Brittle Effigy*
1*Chalice of the Void*
4*Dispel*
1*Elixir of Immortality*
1*Garruk Relentless*
1*Glaring Spotlight*
1*Hex Parasite*
1*Pithing Needle*
2*Spellskite*
2*Torpor Orb*

Contagion Clasp has been surprisingly good. It kills Bob, Clique, and other x/1s, turns off persist, and proliferates Tezz and Overflowing Chalice.

I'm still trying to determine the right split between Spellskite and Wall of Tanglecord. Spellskite's activated ability is obviously great, but Wall is a truly amazing blocker at 0/6, especially with reach.

Dispel is in the board primarily to counter countermagic and burn. I just added Elixir because a few people at my LGS have started playing mill, but it's probably not the best call in a wider metagame.

I've gone down to only 1x of each shock because I found myself taking way too much unnecessary damage, given how relatively simple my color needs are (an Overgrown and Watery Grave take care of everything but big Tezz). Glimmervoid helps smooth things out and power EE.

Hex Parasite is intended as a planeswalker-killer, but I'm thinking it might be too cute.

I'm also considering adding 1x Expedition Map main as a tutor target that can find Academy Ruins.

TonyRo
10-30-2013, 09:34 PM
I have no complains. Maybe go to 61 with an additional Spellskite.

I like Trinket Mage. It usually find the following for me: EE, Needle, Cage and Spellbomb. The added blocker is a plus. Its good card advantage overall.

I find Trinket Mage to be one of the best cards in the deck - I started with 2, then upped it to 3, then upped it to the full playset, and have never looked back. I think for me, it's so good because Pithing Needle and EE so good. Especially Needle - there are just so many incredible targets in all of the best decks - DRS, Liliana, and the man-lands in Jund, Karn, O-Stone and Eye of Ugin in Tron, and Cranial Plating, Arcbound Ravager, Steel Overseer, and the manlands in Affinity. I have seen very few lists with 2 Needles, but I find them to be one of the best bullets in the deck, and vital to it's strategies. For instance, the hard-lock against Tron is Needle on Karn, Needle on O-Stone, and Ensnaring Bridge. Game 1, they have zero cards in the deck that beat this. Without the second Needle, one of their 4 copies of O-Stone will kill you eventually.

I haven't been super excited about Chalice - I find that it's more of a bonus than a core piece of the strategy. Back when UWR Delver and the various Burn decks were more popular (their curve is really low, mostly 1's and 2's), this card was close to an auto-win. Nowadays, most of the good decks like Jund and Birthing Pod are more midrangey and have a wider curve, making the card less effective, especially when Chalice on 2 doesn't stop Abrupt Decay. Back when Kenny Oberg Top 8'd PT Berlin with a similar list, Elves was very popular, and a Chalice on 1 was basically an auto-win. I've been thinking about moving my only copy to the SB, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with, so I've kept it in.

As far as Scapeshift goes (someone mentioned something about SB for it earlier I think), Blood Moon is obviously good against them, but I find the matchup to be one of the decks worst overall. I think you also bring in the Torpor Orb to stop Titan activations, and I also have a Witchbane Orb in the SB for this reason as well. Even then, the matchup seems very bad, and I wonder if it's not better to just get rid of the Orb and concede that the matchup is just very bad! I've been working on my list for a long time (before Jund was the boogeyman, even), and it's shockingly similar to (nameless ones)'s. Here it is for reference:

Land (24)
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
8 Island
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Academy Ruins

Creatures (6)
4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

Planeswalkers (3)
3 Tezzeret the Seeker

Other (27)
4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Snare
2 Izzet Charm (One of these used to be a Cryptic Command, but I no longer really love that card in the deck)
1 Mox Opal
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Pithing Needle
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Vedalken Shackles
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Chalice of the Void
2 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard (15)
4 Blood Moon
3 Pyroclasm
1 Defense Grid
1 Counterflux
1 Torpor Orb
1 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Batterskull
1 Wear//Tear
1 Witchbane Orb

I might try -1 Chalice of the Void (perhaps moving it to the SB) +1 Expedition Map. I have liked that card quite a bit, but had trouble finding room for it. In the SB, I'd like another card for Jund, but I'm not sure what's best. Right now I'm bringing in all of the Blood Moons, Threads, and Batterskull. Maybe that's actually enough...

Mr. Froggy
10-31-2013, 10:19 AM
I find Trinket Mage to be one of the best cards in the deck - I started with 2, then upped it to 3, then upped it to the full playset, and have never looked back. I think for me, it's so good because Pithing Needle and EE so good. Especially Needle - there are just so many incredible targets in all of the best decks - DRS, Liliana, and the man-lands in Jund, Karn, O-Stone and Eye of Ugin in Tron, and Cranial Plating, Arcbound Ravager, Steel Overseer, and the manlands in Affinity. I have seen very few lists with 2 Needles, but I find them to be one of the best bullets in the deck, and vital to it's strategies. For instance, the hard-lock against Tron is Needle on Karn, Needle on O-Stone, and Ensnaring Bridge. Game 1, they have zero cards in the deck that beat this. Without the second Needle, one of their 4 copies of O-Stone will kill you eventually.

I haven't been super excited about Chalice - I find that it's more of a bonus than a core piece of the strategy. Back when UWR Delver and the various Burn decks were more popular (their curve is really low, mostly 1's and 2's), this card was close to an auto-win. Nowadays, most of the good decks like Jund and Birthing Pod are more midrangey and have a wider curve, making the card less effective, especially when Chalice on 2 doesn't stop Abrupt Decay. Back when Kenny Oberg Top 8'd PT Berlin with a similar list, Elves was very popular, and a Chalice on 1 was basically an auto-win. I've been thinking about moving my only copy to the SB, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with, so I've kept it in.

As far as Scapeshift goes (someone mentioned something about SB for it earlier I think), Blood Moon is obviously good against them, but I find the matchup to be one of the decks worst overall. I think you also bring in the Torpor Orb to stop Titan activations, and I also have a Witchbane Orb in the SB for this reason as well. Even then, the matchup seems very bad, and I wonder if it's not better to just get rid of the Orb and concede that the matchup is just very bad! I've been working on my list for a long time (before Jund was the boogeyman, even), and it's shockingly similar to (nameless ones)'s. Here it is for reference:

Land (24)
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
8 Island
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Academy Ruins

Creatures (6)
4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

Planeswalkers (3)
3 Tezzeret the Seeker

Other (27)
4 Galvanic Blast
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Spell Snare
2 Izzet Charm (One of these used to be a Cryptic Command, but I no longer really love that card in the deck)
1 Mox Opal
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Pithing Needle
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Vedalken Shackles
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Chalice of the Void
2 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard (15)
4 Blood Moon
3 Pyroclasm
1 Defense Grid
1 Counterflux
1 Torpor Orb
1 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Batterskull
1 Wear//Tear
1 Witchbane Orb

I might try -1 Chalice of the Void (perhaps moving it to the SB) +1 Expedition Map. I have liked that card quite a bit, but had trouble finding room for it. In the SB, I'd like another card for Jund, but I'm not sure what's best. Right now I'm bringing in all of the Blood Moons, Threads, and Batterskull. Maybe that's actually enough...

I was thinking the same about Chalice, I just can't see its merit in Modern... In Legacy its amazing, but I find combo is dead in Modern..

Canarias4life
10-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Why not Mindscensor aven against Scapeshift? I have 2 Mindscensor in Sideboard against Scapeshift, Tron, Control, Pod...

Mr. Froggy
11-03-2013, 12:41 AM
I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Swan Song.. at all... maybe I should go back to Spell Snare?

(nameless one)
11-14-2013, 08:15 AM
I think Spell Pierce is better.

I used to use Spell Snare but it was too conditional. I would rather counter a Liliana than a Goyf any day.

I recently played a small event for a commander 2013 deck. Basically, if you go 4-0, you get to one. It was a $5 event so I wasn't expecting hard nose competitiveness but I was proved wrong.

I went to beat Jund, U/B Mill (apparently its a real deck) and Slaver Tron (my buddy borrowed my deck which is kinda shitty).

I lost to a U/W/R Midrange deck.

Any advise on dealing with U/W/R Delver and Midrange strategies?

I will write a mini-report on this when I get time.

Arsenal
11-14-2013, 09:29 AM
As a UWR Geist player, my gameplan versus most non-counterspell decks is play Geist turn 3 (hopefully on the play), then bounce/burn/remove/counter whatever my opponent plays for 3 turns. It seems dumb, but it's pretty effective. When I get to untap with Geist still in play, I feel unbeatable as I'm holding a grip of countermagic + removal spells. How specifically did you lose?

(nameless one)
11-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Permission and Burn.

I feel that I have game against Geist from EExplosives to Bridge.

Also, Firespout off the board goes in (along with Blood Moon).

I remember when I play a lot of monoU Tron, I would try to stick Chalice at two but I feel that UWR has diversified in terms of CMC.

Phoenix Ignition
11-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Generally a chalice at 1 or 2 (either, doesn't matter) can be enough to take out 1/3 of their deck other than lands. Pithing Needle for Ajani and Celestial Collonnade is good to have in to fetch.

I play UB so Thoughtseize is a great way to clear a path for my bombs, but I don't think you are playing black so it's going to be harder. Ricochet Trap? May be too bad but could provide clearance for your major threats to land.

Mr. Froggy
11-24-2013, 10:54 AM
My latest list:

1 Academy Ruins
2 Darksteel Citadel
1 Hallowed Fountain
7 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
2 Tectonic Edge

4 Trinket Mage
2 Spellskite

3 Tezzeret, the Seeker

4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Izzet Charm
3 Spell Snare
2 Chalice of the Void

1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mox Opal
2 Pithing Needle
1 Torpor Orb
2 Vedalkan Shackles
2 Pyrite Spellbomb

SB:
2 Aven Mindcensor
4 Pyroclasm
4 Blood Moon
1 Wear//Tear
2 Defense Grid
1 Witchbane Orb
1 Chalice of the Void

I switched out the Firespouts for Pyroclasms because the difference between 2CMC and 3CMC is too huge of a commitment.

(nameless one)
11-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Why remove Relic of Prgenitus?

I think it's a great early answer to a lot of things in Modern, from DRShaman to Goyfs.

Mr. Froggy
11-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I like Cage because it shuts off decks and creature decks are stopped by Ensnaring Bridge.

TonyRo
11-25-2013, 12:09 AM
I would much rather have no Elixir (what the?), 1 Spellbomb, or no Torpor Orb MD than leave Relic out G1. I hate having Torpor Orb MD though (it has literally no value against some decks and shuts down Trinket Mage - at least Relic cycles), so that's just me. I also don't have having more than one Chalice in my 75 to be particularly great. It's generally win-more, and fwiw, I think 3 is insane. Why do you need all of those!? For a while I was on no Chalice, and barely wanted the first copy.

I also really like a Welding Jar in the SB - in basically every matchup you have some prescribed set of cards you eventually want to find, e.g. against Tron, you want Needle on Karn, Needle on O-Stone, and Bridge, and they can't win. It's the same in Game 2, except they'll have Nature's Claim or the like. Welding Jar is better than Force of Will against whatever their first attempt to break up the lock is, and is tutorable via Trinket Mage. I've been very happy to bring it in in almost every matchup Games 2 and 3.

(nameless one)
11-25-2013, 06:01 AM
How do you guys deal with your opponent's Shatterstorm postboard?

Personally, I'm thinking of boarding into a Polymorph into something strategy. But I know that will be a clunky strategy.

TonyRo
11-25-2013, 09:14 AM
I have been thinking about the Tezzerator SB for a long time now, and I wonder about what the best way to deal with artifact hate is. I have added a Welding Jar and liked it, and I think I'm basically bringing it in against every deck but the Mono-Black infect deck, because literally everyone has good artifact hate in their 15 somewhere. That doesn't help vs. Shatterstorm, but not much does. The only deck I've seen with the card is Jund, and it's normally two copies. You might just have either commit all-in in post-board games or try and play around it by not committing too much to the board quickly.

The other thing I've been thinking about (and I've started to do this a little bit already) is to move into non-artifact cards in my SB. If decks like Jund are bringing in Shatterstorm (and better yet, perhaps SB-ing out Bolt), why not bring in Thragtusk? It's bigger than almost all of their guys in the early game, is an automatic two-for-one, and they might only have 1-2 things that remove it in games 2 and 3. If you wanted a SB card against Jund besides Blood Moon, most people are bringing in Batterskull or Wurmcoil Engine, but both of those run right in to Grudge and Shatterstorm again. Now, you have to have access to green to play this card, but you could likely find similar cards in White.

The same with Splinter Twin - I find game 2 and 3 to be unfavorable - everything they do is at instant speed, and we're mostly sorcery speed. Torpor Orb messes up our Trinket Mages, and they've got all the time in the world to slowly build a board presence. I've had games where I've literally had Spellskite, Torpor Orb, Needles on Deceiver Exarch and Kiki-Jiki, Shackles, and lost to things like EOT Cryptic bouncing something and Ancient Grudge on two things, untap Ancient Grudge on two things + Splinter Twin. They've just got all the time in the world, and Desolate Lighthouse can slowly creep up on you. I'd like to switch to SB options that dodge a lot of this kind of stuff.

I don't like Gifts + Unburial Rites or Polymorph that much though. Gifts is pretty weak against decks that have counterspells - I can't image ever trying to resolve Unburial Rites against a deck like Faeries, Scapeshift, UWR, Splinter Twin, etc...and it takes up a huge number of slots if you really want to go all-in on it. Polymorph requires you to SB out Trinket Mages (which is one of the best cards in nearly every matchup imo), and then how many cards are you bringing in to reliably make token creatures quickly and 4 Polymorphs? It seems like too much.

The more I play the deck, the more I want more cards like Thragtusk and Blood Moon. Really strong, surprising answers to decks that aren't artifacts.

Mr. Froggy
11-27-2013, 12:04 AM
I would much rather have no Elixir (what the?), 1 Spellbomb, or no Torpor Orb MD than leave Relic out G1. I hate having Torpor Orb MD though (it has literally no value against some decks and shuts down Trinket Mage - at least Relic cycles), so that's just me. I also don't have having more than one Chalice in my 75 to be particularly great. It's generally win-more, and fwiw, I think 3 is insane. Why do you need all of those!? For a while I was on no Chalice, and barely wanted the first copy.

I also really like a Welding Jar in the SB - in basically every matchup you have some prescribed set of cards you eventually want to find, e.g. against Tron, you want Needle on Karn, Needle on O-Stone, and Bridge, and they can't win. It's the same in Game 2, except they'll have Nature's Claim or the like. Welding Jar is better than Force of Will against whatever their first attempt to break up the lock is, and is tutorable via Trinket Mage. I've been very happy to bring it in in almost every matchup Games 2 and 3.

3 Chalice was a typo, sorry, supposed to be 2 between both MD/SB.

I went and added a Crucible to the deck, makes reusing Tec Edge and Fetches so much fun!

Mr. Froggy
11-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Alright, so I cut an Island for a Tolaria West (Transmute is too good, being able to search up for Academy Ruins/E. Explosives/Chalice, etc. is amazing)

A card that I have found I like, and call me crazy is Epochrasite. I only search for it when I'm sure I'm controlling the game though.

As for Thragtusk, I like your thinking TonyRo but I find W for SB options too versatile.

Tell us how your testing has been.

Canarias4life
02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Is someone playing the deck? Im playing the deck again, and I have two questions:
Is better Spell snare than Izzet charm?
Is better Remand than Mana leak?

What do you think?

(nameless one)
02-16-2014, 09:53 PM
I like Izzet Charm because of versatility.

As for Remand vs Mana Leak, have you tried Spell Pierce instead?

Canarias4life
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
I was playing Spell pierce over Izzet charm because I could counter liliana in turn 2 and it only costs U. But in a meta game which there are zoo, merfolk, affinity I think that Izzet could be better. I like to play Mana leak because it counters everything(Maelstrom pulse, Gifts ungiven, Sphynxs of revelation, Cryptic Command...)but I dont know if Remand could be better in this deck because people say that the cantrip is better. Control really hurts this deck because they have better late game cards(Sphynxs, Cryptic command..)so that's why I like Mana leak.

Phoenix Ignition
07-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Posting this list too since I've been playing around with it for a few months but lost interest in modern in general:

1 Academy Ruins
1 Buried Ruin
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Swamp
2 Tectonic Edge
4 Watery Grave

1 Chalice of the Void
1 Executioner's Capsule
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Pithing Needle
4 Thoughtseize

2 Reshape
1 Thopter Foundry
2 Contagion Clasp
4 Dimir Signet
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Sun Droplet

4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Trinket Mage
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Vedalken Shackles

2 Damnation
4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
1 Tezzeret the Seeker

SB
1 Elixer of Immortality
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Pithing Needle
1 Relic of Progenitus
3 Negate
2 Go for the Throat
3 Shadow of Doubt
1 Shirekmaw
2 Torpor orb

This deck does a good job of getting artifacts out and controlling the board with them. It has a lot of bomb artifacts like Vedalken Shackles or Ensnaring Bridge, alongside some specific synergies (Crucible of Worlds + Thopter Foundry + Darksteel Citadel) that can win you the game. A lot of decks in modern get completely shut down by a Chalice, which at x=1 doesn't hit us too hard. Reshape can find whatever you need, but usually finds a shackles or E bridge.

Post board artifact removal hurts us a ton, but you can also tune which artifacts you have to be more geared toward whichever deck you're facing so it's generally a wash, unless they're playing something like shattering spree or another "destroy all artifacts" effect. Even Stony Silence isn't the biggest problem as Tezzeret can turn them into 5/5s.

Blood moons are bad against Dimir Signets.

(nameless one)
09-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Has anyone been tinkering with this deck. I saw a U/W/r list that features Seeker and Auriok Salvagers. I personally have no clue what the meta is which plays a huge factor in using which hate artifacts.