PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] B/r Hell's Bridge

iamajellydonut
05-01-2013, 06:30 PM
A while back when I was a naive cherub (now I'm a naive couch-potato), I came up with a nifty Extended deck that, simply put, involved abusing the hell out of Ensnaring Bridge. It worked fairly well, but I was lazy and it had certain glaring flaws both with itself and against the current meta. However, it recently dawned on me that Liliana of the Veil is now a card, and a strict topdeck mode would make Bonfire of the Damned actually relevant in something other than last year's Standard. Having an inane desire for a competitively viable deck in each format, I figured I'd give it a whirl. So, without further adieu, Hell's Bridge Modernized.

Landx22
1 Mountain
5 Swamp
4 Blood Crypt
1 Graven Cairns
2 Howltooth Hollow
3 Marsh Flats
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Sulfurous Springs
2 Verdant Catacombs

Other Spellsx38
2 Duress
2 Extirpate
3 Gibbering Descent
2 Infernal Tutor
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Liliana of the Veil
2 Necrogen Mists
4 Blood Moon
4 Bonfire of the Damned
1 Pyroclasm
1 Shattering Spree
1 Dreadbore
3 Chrome Mox
1 Engineered Explosives
4 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Grafdigger's Cage

Sideboard
1 Duress
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Thoughtseize
2 Shattering Spree
1 Slagstorm
2 Guttural Response
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Pithing Needle
3 Sun Droplet
2 Trinisphere

So, I'd like to first state that this deck is untested since its first incarnation. I would have to invest in a few cards (honestly not a big deal) and I haven't a Modern test partner for something like MWS. However, the core of the deck remains unchanged from that time ago, and it functioned fairly well then. With that in mind, this is largely theoretical, but not entirely unfounded or without merit.

Probably the most major card choice is that I went with Inquisition and Duress over Thoughtseize. Reason being that the previous incarnation would often have to uselessly cast Thoughtseize in order to keep a zero handsize. That, combined with Volcanic Fallouts and the like, would often cause a significant amount of life loss. Thanks to modern innovations in card making, I don't think that'll be as much of an issue, but I'm still inclined to err on the side of caution. At the very least, though I lost a significant portion of my collection during my "hiatus", I do have a playset of Thoughtseizes on hand.

Infernal Tutor has always been brilliant in the late game which is why there's a few one-ofs as something of a tutor suite.

Cards I've thought about and would like to hear your opinions on are Pyromancer's Swath, Bituminous Blast, Blood Scrivener, more Dreadbores, potential of Trinisphere in the mainboard or lack thereof in the sideboard, Demigod of Revenges in the sideboard. Honestly, I would like any and all suggestions for card options big or small.

Phoenix Ignition
05-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Chrome mox is banned.

evanmartyr
05-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Gibbering Descent seems strictly worse than Necrogen Mists. It's hardly a win condition, it hurts you, and even with a perfect Liliana-> Descent curve it still costs more.

This deck seems to want to go for consistency more than anything. You'll always want to rip apart their hand, land a Liliana or Mists, land a Bridge, and plink away at them over time. The problem seems to be the Tutor package relies on everything going perfectly, your own Blood Moons can strand things in your hand, if Liliana dies you'll never hit Hellbent, Gibbering Descent is possibly the worst win condition ever, etc.

So make everything cheap and effective. You want to be able to use the cards you draw when you draw them and not rely on your one discard outlet. Lightning Bolts and Smallpox instead of the tutor package, for instance.

EDIT: Derf, there are many discard outlets. In any case, you still want the cards you draw to have an impact when you're top-decking.

Wake
05-05-2013, 05:27 AM
Awesome deck! If it were mine I would:

-3 Gibbering Descent
-4 Blood Moon
-2 Howltooth Hollow
-3 Chrome Mox (banned)
-2 Extirpate

+2 Necrogen Mists
+4 Faithless Looting
+4 Deathrite Shaman (swap some land around for overgrown tombs and stomping ground)
+2 Verdant Catacombs (9 fetches total)
+2 Nyxathid

I'm not sure...I think my build sets up quicker (deathrite gets you "turn 2 turn 3's"), digs better with faithless looting (which works great with 1 of's, discarding them when they're worthless is great), and has another couple finishers in Nyxathid. What I want to do is get Wrench Mind in there somehow but I'm not sure for what. Maybe the 4th looting, could be Wrench mind number 1 and then replace a duress with number 2.

Anyways interesting deck, I hope you report back how it does :)