PDA

View Full Version : Beach Doomsday

John Cox
06-02-2013, 01:39 AM
I've been working on a deck that is kind of a pet deck for me. It's Doomsday with main deck oath of druids. I live in a part of my city known as The Beaches, hence the name.

4 Doomsday
4 Oath of Druids
4 Dark Ritual
4 Gush
4 Force of Will
4 Mystic Remora
4 Forbidden Orchard
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Pact of Negation
1 Gitaxian Probe
3 Duress
2 Mental Misstep
1 Mindbreak Trap
3 Preordain
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Island
1 Tropical Island
4 Underground Sea
1 Yawgmoth's Will

Doomsday is really good at beating up on control but has problems against workshops and landstill. Straight Oath (not burning oath)is good against landstill and workshops. Oath in this deck is kind of like a hurkyls that wins the game outright.
Mystic remora is pretty great if you have it out post doomsday. Every bolt or swords they aim at your lab maniac draws you a card (wins you the game) so it basically blanks all removal. Even if they cast a Krosan Grip targeting Remora, -the remora trigger will go on the stack and win you the game. Pre doomsday it's still good. It draws you into your win condition and wins attrition wars. It's also good against storm. Mindbreak trap is a singleton to tutor up with mystical or vampiric while storm is going off and you have a remora out.
There are a couple of cards that I go back and forth over. I like speed of the rituals but feel there might be a better use of the space. I would also like to work a memory's journey and tendrils in. The pact of negation is a horrible card to draw but allows you to have a counter in your pile if you have a cantrip in your hand, FWIW I'm not married to this card.

I'll add a bit about sideboards later.

personalbackfire
06-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Interesting idea for a deck.

The first card which I don't quite understand is the Nihil Spellbomb, it seems out of place. This looks to me like it is trying to be a combo deck, in which you don't have a lot of slots to dedicate towards disrupting your opponents in ways that don't protect your combo.

The next thing I think you should decide is if you want it to be a faster combo deck (one with rituals) or not. Including Remora's really encourages you play more lands, more moxen, and probably even cards like sol ring or mana crypt. Including Remora seems in contradiction to playing with rituals and not a ton of fast moxen/sol/crypt.

Also, I didn't count your list but I see that on color moxs are omitted?

If you are worried about cards like bolt and stp you could add more mental missteps to your deck to counter them for free. Also, if you end up taking your deck in more of a ritual direction you could add a single tendrils to give you more options, with doomsday and without.

I would also probably add Time Walk if one of the plans is Oathing up Maniac and winning that way.

Lastly, I would consider adding one or two maindeck bounce spells like Hurkyl's Recall, Chain of Vapor, and Steel Sabotage to help against workshops.

Secretly.A.Bee
02-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Nihil Spellbomb allows multiple functions in graveyard hate, but I'm quite certain that it's most important function is to either break into your doomsday stack or win the game with Lab Maniac by paying (b) to draw a card.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Anusien
02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Oath without Moxen is a bold choice.