PDA

View Full Version : Kithkins!

dsck
06-29-2013, 01:43 PM
http://i1.aijaa.com/b/00762/12390754.jpg http://i7.aijaa.com/b/00308/12390752.jpg http://i9.aijaa.com/b/00411/12390753.jpg

Some of you may remember Kithkins from Lorwyn era Standard :cool: It was my first standard deck so it has lots of nostalgia for me.

Why should you play Kithkins in a format where bunch of broken stuff exists?
+ Wild Nacatl is banned? Well here's a deck that has consistently same pressure that Wild Nacatl gives and doesnt do itself any damage from fetches/shock duals.
+ Its cheap to build.
+ Kithkins. Who doesnt like Kithkins?!
- Combo decks are hard matchups.
- Theres lots of combo in modern.

Maindeck @ 06.29.2013
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Goldmeadow Harrier
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
4 Wizened Cenn
1 Ranger of Eos
2 Hero of Bladehold
2 Cloudgoat Ranger

1 Brave the Elements
1 Mirrorweave
4 Spectral Procession
4 Path to Exile

2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

4 Rustic Clachan
4 Windbrisk Heights
16 Plains

Sideboard:
2 Rest in Peace
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Torpor Orb
1 Aven Mindcensor (would play another if I owned one)
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Spellskite (more if theres infect decks in your meta)
3 Sundering Growth
1 Stony Silence
1 Celestial Purge
1 Pithing Needle
1 Engineered Explosives

I have been doing well with the above list, mostly because theres lots of Junk/Jund and I feel like those matchups are very much in our favor. Kithkins also usually win races against other aggro decks, might have something to do with it having painless manabase and lifelinkers maindeck.

I have tested Mutavault, it will screw you over more often than help you as you need WW, WWW first couple turns.

Let me know if any of you guys play kithkins and if you want me to write some more?

Davran
07-01-2013, 09:13 AM
She's not really a Kithkin (which is too bad)...but Thalia, Guardian of Thraben might help shore up the bad combo match-ups.

dsck
07-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Went 4-0 in a 15-17 player tournament today.

Round 1
Jund 2-0

Round 2
Junk/Rock 2-0

Round 3
UWR Geist 2-1

Round 4
Jund splash Lingering Souls 2-1

Had lots of fun and I still recommend others to try Kithkins ;)

Machahiko
07-23-2013, 06:21 PM
I've been thinking about starting modern on budget and when kithkin were a powerhouse I didn't have a chance to try them out. Anyways, I've decided to give this a try but I have some questions that popped into my head:

Why the sideboard with so many one of's with no way to tutor them up or am I missing something here? I've always been a fan of toolbox sideboards since I've been playing some in Maverick some time ago, but without Green Sun's Zenith or Enlightened Tutor this seems really odd. I'm also wondering what some of the sideboard cards are for, Sundering Growth seems really odd for example.

You also have 8 big cards to play (Hero of bladehold, elspeth, ranger of eos, cloudgoat ranger and mirrorweave) - which have been the most useful so far?

I'm also interested in hearing more about how your tournaments have gone and what are your thoughts about TRON decks when playing against them. I would really appreciate hearing about have you tried out thalia in the deck and why have you decided to play Elspeth, Knight-Errant? I feel like Ajani Goldmane would still be disgusting in a deck like this.

apple713
07-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I've been thinking about starting modern on budget and when kithkin were a powerhouse I didn't have a chance to try them out. Anyways, I've decided to give this a try but I have some questions that popped into my head:

Why the sideboard with so many one of's with no way to tutor them up or am I missing something here? I've always been a fan of toolbox sideboards since I've been playing some in Maverick some time ago, but without Green Sun's Zenith or Enlightened Tutor this seems really odd. I'm also wondering what some of the sideboard cards are for, Sundering Growth seems really odd for example.

You also have 8 big cards to play (Hero of bladehold, elspeth, ranger of eos, cloudgoat ranger and mirrorweave) - which have been the most useful so far?

I'm also interested in hearing more about how your tournaments have gone and what are your thoughts about TRON decks when playing against them. I would really appreciate hearing about have you tried out thalia in the deck and why have you decided to play Elspeth, Knight-Errant? I feel like Ajani Goldmane would still be disgusting in a deck like this.

played kithkin in standard when it was around and loved it. mirrorweve is sooo sick. The deck should still be good and is very cheap. It's white so it has removal of all sorts and it turn 4's ppl.

dsck
07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I took Kithkins to another wednesdays modern event. It was 4 rounds and there were ~24 players.

Round 1
Rb Burn (Deathrites and Bump in the Nights)
2-1

Round 2
WG Death and Taxes
2-0

Round 3
Goryos vengeance Griselbrand deck (Grixis)
2-1

Round 4
UW Turbofog
1-1-1

Maindeck @ 07.25.2013
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Goldmeadow Harrier
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
4 Wizened Cenn
1 Ranger of Eos
2 Hero of Bladehold
2 Cloudgoat Ranger

1 Brave the Elements
1 Mirrorweave
4 Spectral Procession
4 Path to Exile

2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

4 Rustic Clachan
4 Windbrisk Heights
16 Plains

Sideboard:
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
1 Torpor Orb
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Spellskite
3 Sundering Growth
1 Stony Silence
1 Engineered Explosives
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

I want to keep the sideboard flexible, also differentiating your grave & combo hate makes it harder for your opponents to answer and play around them. Thalias showed lot of promise. I also dont recommend dilluting your deck too much with sideboard stuff as you still want to curve fast with your little goat riders. Sundering Growths are disenchants with upside - they are for against affinity and birthing pod decks.

I have found 8 "bombs" is the perfect amount. You want to hit with your Windbrisk Heights plus your opponents often accelerate you with their path to exiles so its easy to cast your expensive cards. I wouldnt recommend cutting any of them. Elspeth is better than Ajani Goldmane for 2 reasons, her jumping ability closes a lot of games, especially preboard. Post board your opponents have even more removal and also mass removal - your team may get wiped after ajani has been played and then your opponent stabilizes. Elspeth keeps creating soldiers and keeps closing to her ultimate but ajani does nothing what you really need after losing your team.

Lasraik
08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Been wanting to try something like this out, found a bunch of Kithkins in one of my old boxes so going to throw something together.

paeng4983
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Finally, someone started a thread for our dear Kithkin friends!
Good job TS!

Kithkins is one of my pet decks. I rarely use them in a sanction tournament for I fear that combo decks will just eat me alive. But actually, its not. Kithkin deck has the answers, whether it be in your main deck or from your sideboard, against whatever deck you might face. Tight play, do not be greedy, and always use your removal defensively are the tips that I can share if you plan to use this in your meta.

The last two sanctioned tournaments that I can recall using this deck, I finished 5-0 (Nemesis Shop) and 4-0-1 (Mindstorm Shop).

Here's the list that I have:

Creatures
3 Goldmeadow Harrier
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
4 Wizened Cenn
2 Cloudgoat Ranger
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Ranger of Eos

Planeswalker
1 Elspeth, the Knight Errant

Instant
3 Path to Exile
2 Brave the Element

Enchantment
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Honor of the Pure

Sorcery
4 Spectral Prossession

Artifact
1 Batterskull

Lands
19 Plains
2 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard 15
1 Brave the Element
1 Path to Exile
3 Disenchant
3 Torpor Orb
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Graft Digger's Cage
1 Pithing Needle
1 Wrath of God
2 Celestial Purge

JPoJohnson
08-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Perhaps I'm mistaken, and I apologize if I am... but I feel like this deck plays the exact same as Mono-White knights, but I feel like it would be a little weaker. What am I missing? I love me some unique tribals decks (:

dsck
09-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Finally, someone started a thread for our dear Kithkin friends!

Theres zero reason to not run Rustic Clachan. Windbrisk Heights is also easy to manage and gives some card advantage to keep the opponent on their backfoot.

JPoJohnson
Perhaps I'm mistaken, and I apologize if I am... but I feel like this deck plays the exact same as Mono-White knights, but I feel like it would be a little weaker. What am I missing? I love me some unique tribals decks (:

Kithkin has more 1 drops and a 2 mana lord, in other words its way more faster and thats quite important.

dsck
09-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Usually these weekend tournies pull more than 11-13 players (last week was ~24). I went 4-0 for a change (past few weeks I kept losing to affinity).

Round 1 UWR Control 2-1
Round 2 Elves 2-0
Round 3 UR Wildfire 2-0
Round 4 Burn Rb (Bump in the night) 2-0

Then I played some test games against UWR control and got beaten badly.

Current list (09.14.2013):

Creature (25)
2x Aven Mindcensor
1x Burrenton Forge-Tender
2x Cloudgoat Ranger
4x Figure of Destiny
1x Goldmeadow Harrier
4x Goldmeadow Stalwart
2x Hero of Bladehold
4x Knight of Meadowgrain
1x Ranger of Eos
4x Wizened Cenn