PDA

View Full Version : Burn At the Stake

FTW
07-02-2013, 09:07 PM
This is just a rough concept right now, based on Young Pyromancer, but what do you think about something like this?

4 Faithless Looting
4 Infernal Plunge
4 Battle Hymn
3 Desperate Ritual
4 Manamorphose
4 Burning-Tree Emissary

2 Past in Flames
3 Burn at the Stake

4 Young Pyromancer
4 Augur of Bolas
4 Empty the Warrens

LANDS

Is there a way to make this viable with the right balance of draw/dig, bodies and ritual effects?

kwis
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I think you might find more success with a Goblin Bushwhacker strategy.

YamiJoey
07-03-2013, 02:03 AM
I'd be playing RUG Beck. In fact, I might actually try it.

(MDN) Burn in the Storm

Creatures: 12
4 Burning Tree Emissary
4 Goblin Electromancer
4 Young Pyromancer

Kill: 6
3 Empty the Warrens
1 Burn at the Stake
2 Past in Flames

Dig: 10
4 Faithless Looting
4 Serum Visions
2 Beck & Call

Ramp: 14
2 Infernal Plunge
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Manamorphose
4 Pyretic Ritual

Lands: 18
2 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Breeding Pool
2 Island
1 Mountain

I think Beck is a huge card here. Once online your EtW should be winning you the game on the spot, basically digging you into the rest of your deck. From there you just PiF, make more mana, draw more cards, and EtW again to find your Burn at the Stake. If it gets countered they have to Wrath to stay alive, and if they do you can flash your PiF back to try again the following turn, and with 3 EtW, you should be able to go off on three or four consecutive turns.

FTW
07-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I love Beck here!

How do you generate enough mana to keep going and cast PiF or Stake after EtW? Your rituals only give +0 or +1 mana mostly, an extra +1 with Electromancer out. I think this deck really needs Battle Hymn, which also makes Burning-Tree and Augur/Electromancer having bodies even more valuable.

Maybe:

//Tokens: 7
4 Young Pyromancer
3 Empty the Warrens

//Mana: 14
3 Infernal Plunge
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Manamorphose
3 Battle Hymn

//Dig: 15
4 Faithless Looting
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Augur of Bolas
3 Beck

//Win: 4
2 Past in Flames
2 Burn at the Stake

//Lands: 19
2 Khalni Garden
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Stomping Ground
3 Steam Vents
1 Mountain
1 Island
1 Breeding Pool

The goal here was to operate with as little non-red mana as possible on the combo turn. I think you want 3-4 Becks since Beck+Pyromancer is just so ridiculous. Gitaxian Probe got the nod since its free on the combo turn, easier to dig through without struggling to produce blue mana. Augur of Bolas gets the nod for the body (blocking early and boosting Battle Hymn and Plunge, your best rituals), but maybe Serum Visions could fit somewhere too? Because Beck already takes up UG, I liked free spells like Probe.

I really think this deck needs to abuse Battle Hymn and Infernal Plunge to work. All the good red rituals have already been banned in Modern. The only ones left are those two, which haven't seen play because they're dependent on lots of fodder... and that's this deck's very strength!

Funny note: with Battle Hymn + Manamorphose, it's not unrealistic to fuse the second Beck//Call and get the bird tokens too, although that may be win-more. But it's not like it costs you any extra slots!