PDA

View Full Version : [SCD] Trash for Treasure

Erdvermampfa
07-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Trash for Treasure (http://magiccards.info/query?q=trash+for+treasure&v=card&s=cname)

I wonder why this card has been neglected or overlooked so far because I consider it having alot of powerful applications and actually enables alot of synergies.

First of all, I deem the card as a reanimation spell in conjunction with Thirst for Knowledge. There are are whole bunch of powerful artifact targets that can be brought back with it. Just think of Inkwell Leviathan, Platinum Emperion, Spine of Ish Sah, Wurmcoil Engine and Sundering Titan as a few examples. Thirst of Knowledge is a very potent card on its own, so playing it as a 'discard outlet' shouldn't feel awkward at all. Izzet Charm and Gifts Ungiven can act as supplements to Thirst for Knowledge and are good alone as well.

Since Thrash for Treasure requires sacrificing a artifact as a cost, one has to seek for ways to alleviate this drawback. Since there exist a lot of cheap artifacts that replace themselves by letting you draw cards when they are put into your graveyard, this shouldn't be that much of a problem neither. In fact, the sacrifice cost of Trash for Treasure may be considered as a enabler as well, because it allows strong moves with Myr Retriever, Solemn Simulacrum, Ichor Wellspring, Chromatic Star, Spine of Ish Sah, Wurmcoil Engine etc.. Izzet Signet can both accelerate your strategy and serve as an artifact for Trash of Treasures additional cost.

Add some blue and red disruption and you might bring into being a powerful control/combo deck.

What is your opinion on this consideration?

catmint
07-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Was not aware of this cards existence. Grixis Artifacts… hmm People have tried with welder before, but I suppose a 1/1 creature is more fragile than a 2R sorcery. Problem is that you have to sacrifice speed (colorless mana) to support 3 colors. Thirst and this card could be a thing instead of jace or the sword of the meek combo maybe? Going straight UR seems way inferior. Black provides Tezz obviously but also baleful Strix is a powerhouse in that deck.

combo deck: no imo
You have way worse entombs and way worse reanimates. It can be an alternative win with wurmcoile engine (which can be cast) in a tezz based deck.

(nameless one)
07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
I think Sword of the Meek is banned in Modern.

But the idea of U/R Architect deck sounds cool.

fogxanic
07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
All colored artifact lands are banned, it reduces much power from this card. But if I would play this card I definitely want to animate sundering titan. :smile:

catmint
07-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Sorry - did not check we are talking about modern. :)

JDK
07-04-2013, 03:23 PM
At first glance it looks inferior to an already existing similar approach, which is why it's probably not played: UW Tron (Gifts + Unburial Rites for Iona/Elesh Norn/Sundering Titan/Wurmcoil Engine/Terastodon).

Trash just needs so much more setup.