PDA

View Full Version : Modern - Xathrid Aristocrats

SovietOlga
07-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Ever since I the preview of the M14 card Xathrid Necromancer; it can be see at this link:
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=O0v-VJuu

I have been brewing a Human Subtheme deck with similar functions of Standard's Aristocrats, with better removal and deck options due to the vast cardpool of the Modern format. It's still in the rough stages of minor goldfishing, but it may still need some work... I may want to test out Skirsdag High Priest[/cards] but I'm not sure what to take out for him.

This is what I have come up with thus far:

Non-Human Creature Spells (10)

3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Voice of Resurgence
3 Blood Artist

Human Creature Spells (20) - Human Sub-theme (20+4)

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Doomed Traveler
4 Dark Confidant
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Xathrid Necromancer

Non-Creature Spells (8)

4 Path to Exile
4 Gather the Townsfolk

Lands (22)

4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Marsh Flats
2 Arid Mesa
3 Godless Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Temple Garden
2 Cavern of Souls
1 Vault of the Archangel
2 Swamp
1 Forest
1 Plains

Here are some card explanations:

Deathrite Shaman: I originally didn't have this in my list, perhaps I may cut a copy or two, but it help drain, gain life, or accel your mana early on. This helps push out as many humans as possible.

Voice of Resurgence: I also didn't have this in my first draft as it was simply just BW but this card is just too goo not to play and it goes great with the theme of the deck, it add a bonus value much like the Xathrid Necromancer it's self

Blood Artist: I originally had 4 of these in the first draft, but after a couple games, he seemed best when you drew him with your set up of the Xathrid Necromancer and a [card]Cartel Aristocrat. The number of copies may increase.

Champion of the Parish: This card gets fat really quickly , packs a punch. It also takes advantage of the Gather the Townsfolk as his ability triggers twice.

Doomed Traveler: A great two for one Human and adds a bonus nice white spirit bonus in conjuction with the Necromancer package.

Dark Confidant:A busted card and fits in perfectly with the human sub-theme

Cartel Aristocrat: A sacrificing engine if needed be, helps close games quickly with a single or double Xathrid Necromancer as well as a Blood Artist

Xathrid Necromancer: A machine in this build, he allows you to LOL at Wrath of God-like effects.

Path to Exile: Much needed removal

Gather the Townsfolk: This card gets stretched out in card advantage as it synergies beautifully with the Necromancer and Champion of the Parish

What do you guys think?

Mr. Safety
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Bridge from Below sees almost zero Modern play, and this Xathrid Necromancer is just a Bridge that can be targeted with Lightning Bolt. While 'Aristocrats' is a strong deck in Standard, Modern is a much different format with much more powerful options. I think the synergy is good, but not enough. You need to know what your game plan is against these decks:

Melira Pod/Kiki-Pod
Splinter Twin
G/R or Mono-Blue Tron
G/R Aggro
Aura Stompy
Jund
UWR Delver/Midrange
Infect
Affinity
Gifts Ungiven
Mystical Teachings
Bant
Death Cloud
Ad Nauseam/Conflagrate

Those are some of the top decks with some fringe ones in there as well. Modern is wide open right now and the power level is much higher than Xathrid Necromancer. If you were talking Smallpox, or incorporating XN into a Birthing Pod deck, then it might get somewhere.

Don't mean to 'poo poo' on your idea, it just seems like a poor alternative to Bridge from Below (which is already not considered powerful enough to see mainstream play.)

YamiJoey
07-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Bridge doesn't see play because Dread Return is banned. You have to Dredge or Loot it away, whereas XN actually wants to be cast. That's a huge difference.

I would cut to 2 XN's, and play more Sac outlets. You also need Thoughtseize here, or you'll just get destroyed by combos. I'd cut the Cops, too. They really don't want to die, which is very much counter to your plan. I'd also work Damnation into the deck. It will do work against all sorts of decks, and allow you to basically combo-kill people.

Mr. Safety
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
All I'm saying is this: it's easy to get Bridge from Below into your graveyard, and then sacrifice some dorks for 2/2 tokens. This is an option that dies to Lightning Bolt, netting you one 2/2 token. I see it as a strictly worse option than Lingering Souls or Midnight Haunting. There are easier ways to make lots of tokens and win.

kwis
07-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Why play Gather the Townsfolk over Raise the Alarm?

E: Thought RTA was errata'd to be human soldiers

Xtreme
07-11-2013, 07:21 AM
All I'm saying is this: it's easy to get Bridge from Below into your graveyard, and then sacrifice some dorks for 2/2 tokens. This is an option that dies to Lightning Bolt, netting you one 2/2 token. I see it as a strictly worse option than Lingering Souls or Midnight Haunting. There are easier ways to make lots of tokens and win.

I also dont think XA is comparable to bridge from below. Lingering souls doesnt make human tokens, but it might be good enough anyway as it has a lot of synergy with blood artist, cartel aristocrat and voice of resurgence. I would probably try to fit in the souls assuming it doesnt dillute the curve.
And yeah, some kind of discard maindeck has to be added.

Cool idea, hope the deck works out

Opaco
07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Another important difference between XA and cards like Bridge is that while the latter triggers for non tokens, with "tokeness" being an unalterable quality, XA cares just about types, which can be modified. For example a Conspiracy set to humans turns the zombies into humans and thus self-replacing when dying. Probably still not good enough, as that kind of cards are usually overcosted and useless on their own and probably more difficut to assemble that for example Melira-Persist.