PDA

View Full Version : W/G Humans, Vial + Descendants' Path

ahg113
07-26-2013, 04:51 PM
A silly tribal deck because Magic is fun. Don't have all the M14 cards yet, so I'm playing this casually with a slightly different list, but in general-

2 Hero of Bladehold
4 Champion of the Parish
3 Blade Splicer
3 Champion of Lambholt
3 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Mayor of Avabruck
3 Mirran Crusader
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Deranged Outcast
2 Imposing Sovereign
2 Precinct Captain
2 Fiend Hunter
1 Doomed Traveler

3 Descendants' Path

4 Aether Vial

4 Temple Garden
3 Arid Mesa
3 Mutavault
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Gavony Township
3 Ghost Quarter
2 Forest
2 Plains

SB: 2 Fiend Hunter
SB: 3 Apostle's Blessing
SB: 2 Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 Grand Abolisher
SB: 4 Revoke Existence
SB: 2 Ulvenwald Tracker

Deck is pretty straight forward, Vial in or trigger cast humans, then turn sideways. Ghost Quarters are for tron type speciality lands. Attempting to have creatures act as spells, hence Fiend Hunter as removal+body, with a Tracker in the board. Champion of Lambholt does work, and is the best form of evasion possible. Other swarm type decks are limited to fewer blockers, and early champion gets out of control easily. I do plan on putting some Bojuka Bogs into the SB as KotR targets if prompted by GY strategies. Had an on-par test with D&T, Elves, and beat up some rando U/R faeries deck. Trickiest aspect of the deck is not to OVER extend, even though that's exactly what this deck wants to do. Always a good idea to keep 1 or two critters in hand. Especially if you get a Descendants' Path into play. SB answers hypothetical problems but hasn't been played. All friendlies were MD only.

Cheers,
vial is too good a card to collect dust so... humans

ahg113
08-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Shameless bump, have been playing this deck with good success, changed SB and a count here or there. Very happy with this deck so far. Draw dependent and need luck with mulligans. Threat density so high, early pressure gets there long. Does get static from heavy control decks if can't land vial early.

2 Hero of Bladehold
4 Champion of the Parish
3 Blade Splicer
3 Champion of Lambholt
3 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Mayor of Avabruck
3 Mirran Crusader
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Deranged Outcast
3 Imposing Sovereign
2 Precinct Captain
2 Fiend Hunter

3 Descendants' Path

4 Aether Vial

4 Temple Garden
3 Arid Mesa
3 Mutavault
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Gavony Township
3 Ghost Quarter
2 Forest
2 Plains

SB: 3 Faith's Shield
SB: 2 Bojuka Bog
SB: 3 Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 3 Revoke Existence

Sometimes I miss Abolisher, especially against Cryptic command. However, feel as though Canonist is usually more relevant. O-ring was too slow, and likely to get Path cycled. Revoke, because War Priest of Thune is too narrow. Bog makes sense, as no grave hate seems short sighted, plus slow roll tutorable. Faith's Shield > Apostle's Blessing more often. Unequipping critters hasn't been a necessary trick, esp one that vial+fiend couldn't handle.

Cheers,
i'm human, this is my tribe... until the humans turn into zombies, then they'll be my tribe... F' homarids

evanmartyr
08-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Have you considered a mini ally theme? Hada free blade and kazandu blademaster from white, Oran-rief suvivalist from green? I'm not sure how great it'd be, but it may allow for some neat inevitability.

How good, actually, has the sacrifice a human for +1/+1 counters guy been? Neat synergy with champion, but I can't help thinking that more mayors would be better overall.

Maybe a single Gideon's lawkeeper, to tutor up some "removal"?

ahg113
08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Have you considered a mini ally theme? Hada free blade and kazandu blademaster from white, Oran-rief suvivalist from green? I'm not sure how great it'd be, but it may allow for some neat inevitability.

How good, actually, has the sacrifice a human for +1/+1 counters guy been? Neat synergy with champion, but I can't help thinking that more mayors would be better overall.

Maybe a single Gideon's lawkeeper, to tutor up some "removal"?

Ally decks are similar and ok. However, they usually play blue as well and I find more value in the current creature suite besides more beatsticks.

Deranged Hermit has been very good. It complicates combat math, sometimes blanks removal, and allows tricks with Fiend Hunter to permanently exile a creature.

Gideon's lawkeeper was on my short list, but this deck can't actually tutor, so his value diminished.

evanmartyr
08-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Ally decks are similar and ok. However, they usually play blue as well and I find more value in the current creature suite besides more beatsticks.

Deranged Hermit has been very good. It complicates combat math, sometimes blanks removal, and allows tricks with Fiend Hunter to permanently exile a creature.

Gideon's lawkeeper was on my short list, but this deck can't actually tutor, so his value diminished.

Ah, I was thinking hero was ranger.

ahg113
08-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Stalling decks, are giving me trouble, specifically Cryptic Command. I also have noticed a weakness to enchantments- the G/W Bogle decks, and Enduring Ideal. I know I want to add Grand Abolisher, as a 2 or 3 of. War Priest of Thune is also an option. Other cards being thought of are Back to Nature, Creeping Corrosion & Fracturing Gust.

I've noticed that Faith's Shield is a bad counterspell. It has been great in some instances, but I shouldn't be worried about removal, the deck is threat dense. Revoke Existence... I like it better than Disenchant for the exile aspect, however, so slow as a sorcery, doesn't play nice with Descendants' Path. Hopefully Theros will make a green human that deals with artifacts, but I think I just stick with dudes that blow up enchantments (because Dovescape, better with vial, better with descendants' path).

+3 Grand Abolisher & +3 War Priest of Thune; -3 Faith's Shield & -3 Revoke Existence

Changes to SB:

SB: 3 Grand Abolisher
SB: 2 Bojuka Bog
SB: 3 Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 3 War Priest of Thune