PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Proteus Staff

4eak
08-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Disclaimer: I've stopped playing competitive magic for a while now (I haven't a lot of time). I have no idea what the Modern metagame looks like. I've recently picked up kitchen table magic again, playing fairly casually, and I was building a casual deck which I came to realize was fairly fast and possibly playable in Modern. I'm pretty sure I've modernized the cards (let me know if I failed).

Here it is:

// Lands - 24
16 Island
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Inkmoth Nexus

// Combo - 10
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Proteus Staff
4 Polymorph

// Board Control - 10
3 Vedalken Shackles
3 Oblivion Stone
4 Repeal

// Tempo Permission - 12
4 Remand
4 Mana Leak
4 Rune Snag

// Dig - 4
4 Serum Visions

You want to win through Emrakul, and barring that (maybe he is trapped in hand), you go for Charbelcher from Proteus deck stacking. Maybe See Beyond would be worth it over Serum Visions just to get rid of Emrakul, I don't know.

This isn't MUC. It isn't looking to generate and leverage raw CA over an opponent. It can accidentally play like MUC, with counters and win games off Shackles and O-Stone, but that isn't the gameplan. It plays temporary answers and permission which have little value in late game because it isn't seeking to get to the late game - it's a combo deck.

The combo is fairly compact since it can hide combo pieces in the manabase via man-lands, and Shackles doubles as both a board controller and a combo enabler.

It is not incredibly fast, but from what I recall, Modern is a turn 4ish format. This deck consistently goes off turn 5 (although it can do turn 4 often enough). With so much permission and board control, I'm assuming you have a chance at surviving and/or winning counterwars to land your combo and win.

peace,
4eak

Canarias4life
10-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi, I have played this deck in 2007. Now I want to play this deck as a second option because I dont want to play only 1 modern deck. However I want to play a budget deck or not spend much money. Do you think that it is a interesting deck? Maybe I could play UW tron, I listen to other possibilities.

// Lands
3 [RAV] Hallowed fountain
3 [DS] Blinkmoth Nexus
2 [4E] Plains
6 [MI] Island
2 Marsh flats
2 Scalding tarn
2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 Ghost quarter
1 Gargoyle castle
1 Faerie conclave
1 Forbidding Watchtower