PDA

View Full Version : Is naya dead?

Darthtaco75
08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
I see it rarely but when I do it usually does well. Play legacy and standard, but I want to build a modern deck as well

nedleeds
08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Do it. Use red, white and green cards. Lands also.

Darthtaco75
08-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Thank you for taking my post serious... Really want to get into modern now lol...

Dan Turner
08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
you may want to try some blue in that, I have heard its good.

TBH decks rise and fall like waves, whatever is the flavor of the month right now can change in a week with modern. Usually you play the top 2 or 3 decks or you play the deck to beat those and it cycles. I wish people would stop calling it Naya. when I played it during Ice age block it was called Zoo plain and simple. You just played the best cards in each color. Kird ape, lightning bolt, STP etc. You don't need to change the damn name.

Phoenix Ignition
08-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Naya is still a common color combination for Birthing Pod decks. Green for mana accel and then white/red for usually something like Kikki-jikki + Restoration Angel, and then throw in a bunch of kitchen finks and some random other hate bears and you got yourself a deck.

Alternatively I've seen a decent number of Green/Red super aggro decks that you could probably splash white in for Steppe Lynx or something.

JDK
08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Naya is still a common color combination for Birthing Pod decks. Green for mana accel and then white/red for usually something like Kikki-jikki + Restoration Angel, and then throw in a bunch of kitchen finks and some random other hate bears and you got yourself a deck.
Kiki-Pod still plays blue for Deceiver Exarch, Glen Elendra Archmage, Izzet Staticaster and whatnot, so Naya is really an unfitting name.

Darthtaco75
08-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Sorry I just call it Naya b/c I play it in standard atm. I was looking at a list like

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/naya-modern-2/

Phoenix Ignition
08-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Kiki-Pod still plays blue for Deceiver Exarch, Glen Elendra Archmage, Izzet Staticaster and whatnot, so Naya is really an unfitting name.

True, although I've played against a fair number on MTGO who do not run blue and are true Naya so they can run a few more obnoxious creatures and less combo. I don't believe they ran Melira either (probably for lack of sac outlet).

FTW
08-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Naya was neutered after banning Wild Nacatl, by far the main reason to restrict yourself to playing exactly Mountains, Plans and Forests. Losing GSZ hurt too.

IMO what this means is any RGW deck has significant difficulty racing or dealing with combo (can't Zenith out hate), so there is no reason to not run another combo yourself (Kiki-Pod) or to run blue or black for disruption elements.

Anyway, if you want to auto-lose to storm but have fun turning creatures sideways, I really like the interaction between Ranger of Eos and Vexing Devils in an aggro deck. Qasali Pridemage is also criminally underplayed, given the prevalence of enchant/artifact-based combos like Pod and Twin. I would start with those and some Thalias and Bloodbraid Elves and maybe expand from there.

EDIT:
Example:
4 Goblin Guide
4 Steppe Lynx
2 Vexing Devils
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Scavenging Ooze
3 Qasali Pridemage
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Ranger of Eos

4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt

23 lands including utility lands

SB:
Loxodon Smiter
Grafdigger's Cage
Phyrexian Revoker
etc...

nedleeds
08-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Thank you for taking my post serious... Really want to get into modern now lol...

Well your post was completely useless. Ask a real question. Say something other than, "Lol Standardz is cool but i want to stepUp and play some Modern, is naya good?"

"Should I play Smiter and Rest in Piece in Modern Zoo to hedge against all the GY strategies?"

"Which are the best burn spells after Bolt right now?"

"Is Knight worth it in modern zoo with no great tutor targets?"

"I hate Path to Exile since it's such a tempo kill and gets people out of mana screw, how about Last Breath?"

YamiJoey
08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Naya was neutered after banning Wild Nacatl, by far the main reason to restrict yourself to playing exactly Mountains, Plans and Forests. Losing GSZ hurt too.

IMO what this means is any RGW deck has significant difficulty racing or dealing with combo (can't Zenith out hate), so there is no reason to not run another combo yourself (Kiki-Pod) or to run blue or black for disruption elements.

Anyway, if you want to auto-lose to storm but have fun turning creatures sideways, I really like the interaction between Ranger of Eos and Vexing Devils in an aggro deck. Qasali Pridemage is also criminally underplayed, given the prevalence of enchant/artifact-based combos like Pod and Twin. I would start with those and some Thalias and Bloodbraid Elves and maybe expand from there.

EDIT:
Example:
4 Goblin Guide
4 Steppe Lynx
2 Vexing Devils
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Scavenging Ooze
3 Qasali Pridemage
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Ranger of Eos

4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt

23 lands including utility lands

SB:
Loxodon Smiter
Grafdigger's Cage
Phyrexian Revoker
etc...

BBE is banned.

Naya is pretty bad. Play RDW or Gruul for aggro so you take less damage from Lands. Adding White complicated things too much. Thalia's great, and there are sweet SB options, but Gruul is fast enough to kill Living End, and still has interaction.

Failing that play Junk Melira Pod and have random infinite loops as a fallback if your aggro plan fails.

JDK
08-30-2013, 01:42 AM
True, although I've played against a fair number on MTGO who do not run blue and are true Naya so they can run a few more obnoxious creatures and less combo. I don't believe they ran Melira either (probably for lack of sac outlet).

That doesn't even make sense...Kiki-Pod's only chance against e.g. Scapeshift is blue for Elendra and SB Negates. Cutting blue doesn't add value to the deck, it takes versatility. But then again, people online tend to worsen decks and play subpar choices all the time.

Phoenix Ignition
08-30-2013, 10:06 PM
That doesn't even make sense...Kiki-Pod's only chance against e.g. Scapeshift is blue for Elendra and SB Negates. Cutting blue doesn't add value to the deck, it takes versatility. But then again, people online tend to worsen decks and play subpar choices all the time.

Aven Mindcensor does wonders against decks like that. I believe they were going a more hatebear style. Cutting out blue may have been a monetary decision, but then again, the less number of colors you run the more consistent your landbase will be in the face of disruption.

JDK
08-31-2013, 08:37 AM
When I played Kiki-Pod, mana wasn't an issue. Mindcensor is good against Scapeshift, but it is unlikely to stay in play. Scapeshift is a horrible matchup for the deck and adding more hatebears by cutting actual good cards doesn't do the trick against counters, Charm, Pyroclasm and Bolts.

To conclude this: competitively speaking, this is nonsense.