PDA

View Full Version : Why not Grow?

ScatmanX
09-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Didn't find a thread for Grow on the source, so decided to create one.
Don't know if the deck has any potential whatsoever, but I got the cards, and wonder if you guys could give some ideas to make it somewhat competitive.
Here's the initial sketch:

4 Breeding Pool
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Forest
2 Island
2 Yavimaya Coast

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Quirion Dryad
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage

4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Serum Visions
4 Thought Scour

4 Vapor Snag
3 Simic Charm

4 Remand
4 Mana Leak

This sketch plays a UG base, but can easily be UGr or UGw.
What it wants to do is deploy an early threat and protect it. 7 cards to deal with opponent creatures temporarily, and 4 Snapcasters to rebuy them.
Thought Scour in place of Sleight of Hand because it works better with our strategy of keeping mana up, with our and opponents Delvers, and with Serum Visions.
Simic Charms abilities are all great. Hexproof means no PtE/Bolt and others. Bounce works as Vapor Snag #5-7. +3/+3 gives some extra reach, while winning Goyf wars.
The rest of the deck kind of build itself. I hope 17 lands is not too few, but it has 12 cantrips to complement them, and it can work quite wellwith only 2-3 lands into play.

The SB was not worked on already, but imo should contain a number of Engineered Explosives (Boggles/Affinity/others), Needles, maybe Shadow of Doubt, Pierce, Echoing Truth... Don't really know the deck weaks and good matchups by now.

Anyone wold like to share some thoughts?
Thanks.

nodahero
09-18-2013, 11:50 AM
You need to find some tech to beat Jund... Abrupt Decay would have a total field day with your deck. Normally I hate the argument about it dies to X so it is bad... the GP though supports this claim if you want to win a major event.

Phoenix Ignition
09-18-2013, 12:06 PM
I would splash red for Young Pyromancer + Bolt + Izzet Charms, and even Counterflux is pretty amazing right now. YP is probably even better than Quirion Dryad in the majority of situations.

ScatmanX
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
You need to find some tech to beat Jund... Abrupt Decay would have a total field day with your deck. Normally I hate the argument about it dies to X so it is bad... the GP though supports this claim if you want to win a major event.
Completely agree with you. Need to find something to do against Jund/Ajundi/wtv. Seems that Simic Charm at least protect my dudes, since giving them Exproof in response of a Decay stops it. Any suggestion for possible SB cards?

I would splash red for Young Pyromancer + Bolt + Izzet Charms, and even Counterflux is pretty amazing right now. YP is probably even better than Quirion Dryad in the majority of situations.
Maybe I can keep the G only for Goys then, leaving 2 Breeding Pools, and adding some Steam Vents. Because if I remove Goyf, then a single Pyroclasm is able to obliterate my whole board. So Dryad/Charm/Snag out, Pyro/Bolt/Charm in. would need to test to see if it is worth it.
Thanks for the feedback.

nodahero
09-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Once you cut the Dryad alot of the oomph of Gro is suddenly gone and you are essentially playing a bad RUG deck. Perhaps switching into a RUG style deck is the best option... You could look at Legacy variants to get a starting point.

Delver
Goyf
Young Mancer
Snapcaster

Bolt
Serum Visions (yuck)
remand
Vapor Snag
8 misc. spells

20 land

I probably wouldn't play manaleak though. The format isn't as soft to it as I wish it were.

DragoFireheart
09-18-2013, 02:49 PM
:laugh: @ Serum Visions. I like to pretend that Serum Visions was suppose to be Preordain but some intern screwed the order up.

The cantrips in this format are so terrible. Even if the grow creatures could work, I feel like the spells supporting them are just a (literal) waste of time. And yeah, as some said, Abrupt Decay makes me sad when I grow my creature into a 12/12 and it dies with no way of protecting it. Anyways, you could give Lorescale Coatl if it's grow creatures you want. Draw spells make him bigger, but he also doesn't need a draw spell to continue getting bigger.