PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Humans - Can It Compete?

boneclub24
10-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't usually do tournaments anymore, but I always keep decks around for each non-rotating format just in case I feel like doing one. I'm planning on doing a modern local in a couple of weeks and maybe returning for a while. Can my old Humans list compete?

Are there any cards from RtR or Theros block that might be good?

Land: 23
7 Plains
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Seachrome Coast
3 Glacial Fortress
3 Moorland Haunt
2 Cavern of Souls

Creatures: 23
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Student of Warfare
4 Precinct Captain
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Mirran Crusader
3 Hero of Bladehold

Instants: 5
4 Path to Exile
1 Dismember

Enchantments: 7
4 Honor of the Pure
3 Detention Sphere

Artifacts: 2
2 Sword of War and Peace

Sideboard: 15
4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
4 Grand Abolisher
3 Rest in Peace
3 Stony Silence
1 Cavern of Souls

riotstarter519
10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't see any glaring flaws in the list. It looks solid. I'm going to save this list for further inspection

nodahero
10-24-2013, 02:33 PM
I do. Blue adds nearly nothing... Splashing blue is not worth it.

Tanith
10-24-2013, 08:16 PM
How about adding Geist of Saint Traft (which equipped is nuts) and Snapcaster Mage to re-cast Path to exile / Dismember?

YamiJoey
10-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Sounds like it's somewhere between Orzhov Blade, Esper Geist, and D/T. Why am I playing this over any of the others?

Soldier of the Pantheon seems good here. Making 1/1's seems fine, but you kind of want a way to use that beyond a couple of blades. I usually go down the Squadron Hawk route for it, and you need to play a pair of WaP with a Steel thingy. (Stoneforge Mystic Spell.) Your G1 is nothing to do with utility etc, you want them dead as fast as possible, as you do not win a long game. Moorland merely helps you achieve that against control decks trying to blow everything up.

boneclub24
10-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Because this is what I have the cards for xD If this is garbage I will probably end up selling what I can.

Blue might not be optimal. Haunt did work for me in Standard, but Modern is obviously another beast entirely. I'm just worried I'll run out of gas against control too easily.

Soldier of the Pantheon I'm not sure on. He just seems like a glorified Savannah Lions to me :\ I've never seen him in action though, so I could be wrong. I assume I'd be trying him over Student? Or did you have another cut in mind?

And you're saying I should just run a pair of Sword of War and Peace instead of the 2 I run main?

boneclub24
10-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Tested the deck against some real decks at the store today.

Tempo like the Geist decks seem to be it's best matchup. I have better threats at a bigger density that beat theirs in combat.

Control decks with Snapcaster seem to give me the most trouble. They have tons of removal for my guys, and if I can't get Moorland Haunt going with Honor of the Pure they will just roll over me. Can compete, but struggles and needs some luck. Add another Cavern to the side for this, but more suggestions are welcome!

Midrange I feel is about even, but I didn't get a whole lot of matches with these styles. Same with combo. Hopefully next time.

As for the card choices in the main, I'm happy with a lot of the numbers. Detention Sphere I feel is lacking in every matchup. It helps against Geist decks, but other than that I'm not impressed. Format's changed a lot since I last played it. Probably would have shone more if I played more token and midrange decks. I'll keep it for now, but might just go to 2 main for something else (suggestions would be good :) ).

Haven't tried Soldier of the Pantheon yet.

EDIT: Deck does REALLY well against RG Tron, too :) Outraces them quite effectively, especially when the hate comes in.

EDIT2: Gearing up for a tournament on Friday, any last-minute reviews?

Zupponn
10-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I think you could cut a Thalia for an Imposing Sovereign. Maybe shave something else for a second and maybe a third?

boneclub24
11-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Soveriegn seems really good at controlling combat. I'll test out a couple copies. My main concern is that she doesn't really do anything in combat herself. Everyone else is the deck is a combat threat by either being huge or having first/double strike.