PDA

View Full Version : B/G Varolz

MirrorMask
10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
I had this idea about a B/G deck that features Varolz. I haven't tested it yet and have not decided on a SB. Here is the list:

Creatures

4 dark confidant
4 tarmogoyf
3 Nyxathid
3 Death's shadow
3 tombstalker
3 Varolz, the Scar-Striped

Spells

4 thoughtseize
4 inquisition of kozilek
4 dismember
2 abrupt decay
4 Grisly salvage
2 liliana of the veil

Lands

4 marsh flats
4 verdant catacombs
4 MIsty rainforest
4 overgrown tomb
2 swamp
2 forest

I want to make it competitive so tell me what you think.

P.S I have no idea about Modern's speed nor about the meta. Those of you who do know, please enlighten me (always in relation to this deck, of course). Thank you!

Mr. Safety
10-27-2013, 06:11 PM
If I were to work on this deck I think I'd want to go full on dredge with stinkweed imp, lotleth troll, and a full set of death's shadow.

HammafistRoob
10-27-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if you want Tombstalker and Varolz in the same deck, and removing 'stalker would still leave you with plenty of fat. I'm also not sold on the dredge cards because slow dredging is just that, slow. Deathrite Shaman must be included, he's too good to not be played, and I'd also look into upping Lily to at least 3. Duress may also be worth a try over Inquisition because you shouldn't have to many problems with creatures and Duress can hit annoying 'walkers like Karn.

There are plenty of tools at your disposal to help inform yourself about the format, the metagame analysis here on The Source would be a good start.

Timber
10-29-2013, 10:56 AM
I agree that you have to go all-in on Tombstalker or all-in on Varolz because the Stalker can just ruin your Varolz.

I think the biggest metagame problem you have is that Jund and BG Rock are two of the top decks in the format right now and they both want you to put dudes in your bin to eat with Deathrite Shaman and Scavenging Ooze. Are there a lot of people in your meta playing either of those two?

What if you added blue with more digging cards like Forbidden Alchemy for fuel with counterspells to stop opposing hate?

boneclub24
10-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Maybe try white for Lingering Souls?

metronome2charisma
11-02-2013, 11:38 PM
this is my build. i've been playing varolz in modern and legacy since varolz was printed.

4 death rite
4 deaths shadows
3 tarmogoyf
3 bob
2 varolz
1 spellskite

3 abrupt decay
3 inquisition
2 thoughtsieze
2 dismember
2 life from the loam
3 lingering souls
1 grisly salvage
1 maelstrom pulse

4 Liliana

4 marsh flats
4 verd catacombs
3 overgrown tomb
1 godless shrine
1 horizon canopy
2 swamp
1 forest
1 dryad arbor
2 tech edge
1 ghost quarter
1 woodland cemetery
1 stirring wildwood

played in a modern gpt today and went 2-2 shoulda been 3-1 but thems the breaks..against midrange creature decks you win a lot .against tribal decks and affinity and burn its rough. combo is a good matchup minus u/r/g scapeshift...the deck feels a couple cards off still but its close. loam might be better in the board and grisly salvage is what it replaced...against control and tron and anything that you dont want to get above four land loam is a beating but in the purest form of this "combo" deck grisly salvage is an absolutely awesome magic card ..hope this helps

Pulp_Fiction
11-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Someone in my meta has been playing this with 4x LOL Troll and 4x Death's Shadow. He also runs Vengevine and Gravecrawler, it is quite a sick deck. 4x DRS is mandatory. Running dredgers is kind of clunky, this is essentially a Pod deck without Pod, in that it has the right search options, with the option of pure beatdown if you can't make Varolz absurdly big. There were no Bloodghasts played and I when asking him about his deck, he ran 3x Thoughtseize and 3x Inquisition as protection spells (personally I like Duress but thats me). The deck definitely has potential.

Zupponn
11-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Needs more Darkblast IMO.

metronome2charisma
11-08-2013, 02:16 PM
darkblast has actually been on my mind for a while. was thinking of adding a one of unburial rites just incase i need it to get a varolz out of the yard but not sure if its worth the slot.