PDA

View Full Version : First Vintage Tournament 2: Still Sucking

GoblinSettler
11-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Just so we're clear. I didn't write this thread: First Vintage Tournament (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?26955-First-Vintage-Tournament-A-report-on-how-to-suck). But I'd like to carry on in its spirit.

This past weekend I participated in my first vintage tournament. I had fun for the most part. Except for losing my win-and-in to Oath, then promptly losing to UB-something or other to leave with a negative record.

As alluded to in that thread, I was torn between playing Goblins and playing Workshops. In the end I went with Goblins. Mostly because I could play Goblins by using "nice" proxies, instead of using some paper printouts. I decided to splash black for the beastly Earwig Squad and blue for Vintage brokenness: Ancestral and Time Walk. The blue splash was there just to have the option of casting some sweet cards. It never came up. That's what I get for having limited access to non-Goblin tutoring. On the other hand, the black splash was awesome. I am strongly considering Earwig Squad in Legacy Vial Goblins.

I don't have the exact 75, but it was more or less the Goblins you expect with the Vial/Chalice/Cage slots replaced by Time Walk, Ancestral, Diabolic Tutor, etc.

Round 1 - Oath
G1: I play some Goblins. Opp gets an Oath into Emrakul but misses the Dragon Breath. I have an opening to Kiki-Jiki my Lackey and swing in with two Lackeys. This would allowed me to Lackey-trigger in a Stingscourger. Instead, I try to cast the Stingscourger pre-combat. Force of Will shuts down my dreams. I lose.
G2: I win somehow.
G3: See game one. Stingscourger gets countered. I die.
0 - 1

Round 2 - Dredge
G1: I have dudes and sacrifice outlets to remove some bridges. I bemoan how hard Vintage is because I can't decide between beatings from card A or card B. Sorry, dude.
G2: Open with Leyline. Land an Earwig squad and exile all the Chain of Vapor. Sorry, dude. We have sandwiches and make some trades.
1 - 1

Round 3 - BUG Control
G1: I have a really aggressive Lackey-into-stuff game.
G2: I lose by Tinker into Sundering Titan. Early on, I punt a successful attack by not playing a land pre-combat. Assuming two lands in play I could have Gempalm'd a blocker.
G3: Another Lackey-into-stuff game. Prowl an Earwig Squad takes out the Tinker targets. Ensnaring Bridge slows down the beats but the 1/1's keep coming.
2 - 1

Round 4 - Oath Again
Round 1 against Oath I had some aggressive starts and could almost keep up. Here, not so much.
G1: Again I have the chance to maybe Stingscourger their Oath'd beast and again I miss the play. Lose.
G2: I mull to four and engage in a cripple fight. After exhausting removal and counters I land a sandbagged Earwig Squad and take the opp's win conditions.
G3: A quick Key+Vault combo put this one out of reach without opening the door for disrupting the monster plan.

Round 5 - UB Stuff
I didn't see enough of the deck to even get a read on what it was. The quick Vault+Key from last round really sets the tone.
G1: I start with a Lackey into some stuff and get blown out by a bunch of Moxen and Key and Vault.
G2: I play a mountain and then maybe another one. Turn 1, opp drops four cards. T2, Dark Confidant and Tinker into BSC. I don't see Stingscourger or another piece of removal to make Warren Weirding live and die to the attack T3.

Props:
Vintage. I got to play it.
Tournament organizer for putting on a Vintage event.
Opponents for being generally enjoyable people to sit down across.
Some person in Europe for hooking me up with really nice looking Lotus and Mox Ruby proxies.
Pesto Mushroom Burger, Fries, and Beer.

Overall, I had fun. Vintage is interesting. Plenty of games moved past turn three and featured plenty of interaction. That said, I felt like I was significantly underpowered against the field and that started to wear on me about halfway through the second Oath match. Round five, where I did actual nothing game 2 to finish off the day, really drove the point home.

If there's a next time for me playing Vintage, I will be sitting behind some Shops or some Forces.

pandaman
11-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Mate, awesome to hear about your first Vintage tournament! I think almost everyone starts unpowered, but the format is still so much fun. Beating powered decks with unpowered decks is also good for the soul :)

It seems that if you didn't make some of the play mistakes you described your tournament could have been a lot better. I know you will crush next time! What deck do you plan on playing for the next one?