PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Shared Fate Lock

Mr. Froggy
11-09-2013, 05:57 PM
I was browsing the internet for random Modern decks, and I stumbled upon ithelogmtg's list on a site I used to post on: EssentialMagic.

Here is the deck in question:

Spells
4 Condemn
4 Mana Leak
4 Reviving Dose
3 Think Twice
4 Thoughtseize
3 Wrath of God

Enchantments
4 Hoofprints of the Stag
2 Porphyry Nodes
4 Shared Fate

Artifacts
4 Teferi's Puzzle Box

Lands
3 Caves of Koilos
1 Godless Shrine
4 Hallowed Fountain
5 Island
7 Plains
4 River of Tears

SB:
4 Castigate
1 Echoing Truth
4 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Reduce to Dreams
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Urza's Factory

I tried it almost verbatim, except for the SB.

I only switched out the Rivers for Darkslick Shore, and the Wraths for DoJ (Days are 0.05tix on MTGO).

My SB (was done in 3min, so no real thought went into it):
4 LotV
4 LoS
4 Annul
3 Spell Pierce

Its quite fun, and hilarious to pull off the hard-lock.

Thoughts?

Phoenix Ignition
11-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Its quite fun, and hilarious to pull off the hard-lock.

Thoughts?

I've played against it online a few times and what it comes down to is you're playing a deck who's only way to win is to not play your own deck. I absolutely love playing against it because of how bad it seems to be.

Anyway, that said, you need to worry about permanents that hit the field. Any planeswalker that lands against you is pretty horrifying, you may want to find room for Pithing Needles. Also, Pentad Prism is pretty good at accelerating your plays and letting you play their deck.

Mr. Froggy
11-10-2013, 12:53 AM
I've played against it online a few times and what it comes down to is you're playing a deck who's only way to win is to not play your own deck. I absolutely love playing against it because of how bad it seems to be.

Anyway, that said, you need to worry about permanents that hit the field. Any planeswalker that lands against you is pretty horrifying, you may want to find room for Pithing Needles. Also, Pentad Prism is pretty good at accelerating your plays and letting you play their deck.

Yeah, I thought of the Planeswalkers.

The guy's description though says the deck was tuned to demolish aggro (c. 2008).

Now, I think that Condemn could easily become PtE and Mana Leak (although I like it) could be Spell Pierce?

The only one I'm confused is Reviving Dose? I like the lifegain and the cantrip, but there must be something much better?

JanoschEausH
11-10-2013, 10:59 AM
How does the lock work? Can somebody explain it to me?

Mr. Froggy
11-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Its pretty simple, play Shared Fate, they play your deck and lay down Puzzle Box so they empty their hand and are stuck never drawing ever again.

Mr. Froggy
11-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Alright, I changed the deck up a bit, and let me say... Even if the deck was tailored for Old Extended, I don't think its ready for Modern... As much as I love Shared fate+Puzzle Box...

Spells
4 Condemn
2 Mana Leak
3 Spell Snare
4 Reviving Dose
4 Think Twice
2 Duress
4 Thoughtseize
3 Day of Judgment

Enchantments
4 Hoofprints of the Stag
4 Shared Fate

Artifacts
4 Teferi's Puzzle Box

Lands
4 Marsh Flats
2 Godless Shrine
3 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
6 Plains
3 Watery Grave

Anyone have any ideas or should I just scrap it?

From observation, I think it just needs to be a tad bit faster. Or maybe a bit more controlling?

Blair Phoenix
11-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Alright, I changed the deck up a bit, and let me say... Even if the deck was tailored for Old Extended, I don't think its ready for Modern... As much as I love Shared fate+Puzzle Box...

Spells
4 Condemn
2 Mana Leak
3 Spell Snare
4 Reviving Dose
4 Think Twice
2 Duress
4 Thoughtseize
3 Day of Judgment

Enchantments
4 Hoofprints of the Stag
4 Shared Fate

Artifacts
4 Teferi's Puzzle Box

Lands
4 Marsh Flats
2 Godless Shrine
3 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
6 Plains
3 Watery Grave

Anyone have any ideas or should I just scrap it?

From observation, I think it just needs to be a tad bit faster. Or maybe a bit more controlling?Back in the day, I preferred Shared Fate + Leveler lock, as both were tutor-able with Brainspoil, but on the flipside, enchantment destruction completely bones you. I also fail to see the point of Hoofprints of the Stag. Seems way too slow to be useful at all. And yeah, there are a LOT of better cards you could be playing over reviving dose.

Mr. Froggy
11-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Back in the day, I preferred Shared Fate + Leveler lock, as both were tutor-able with Brainspoil, but on the flipside, enchantment destruction completely bones you. I also fail to see the point of Hoofprints of the Stag. Seems way too slow to be useful at all. And yeah, there are a LOT of better cards you could be playing over reviving dose.

I had thought of Leveler, and I switched out Reviving Dose because it wasn't nearly good enough.