PDA

View Full Version : NorinForge?

cherub_daemon
11-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Norin the Wary and Purphoros, God of the Forge pair up for a reasonably resilient source of damage. Purphoros' activated ability pairs well with his triggered ability to encourage a creature-heavy deck. I'm thinking about the following core:

"Combo"
Norin the Wary
Purphoros, God of the Forge

Mana
Wild Cantor
Simian Spirit Guide

Prison
Magus of the Moon
Blood Moon
Thorn of Amethyst

I feel like there are several possible ways to go with the remaining slots, accounting for the fact that we'll need to reserve some slots for removal:

Standard Burn creatures: like Keldon Marauders, Grim Lavamancer, Vexing Devil or beaters.
Mana and bombs, preferably things that could couple with Purphoros: Burning-Tree Emissary, Grinning Ignus, Rakka Mar, Siege-Gang Commander. Aether Vial probably goes in this category, under "mana", given the creature-heavy focus of the deck.
Something Cute? Against all reason, neither Cantor nor Spirit Guide is a Shaman, or else I'd go with Sensation Gorger in a heartbeat. This might actually still be okay with Vexing Shusher, Burning-Tree Emissary, and Zo-Zu the Punisher, but I feel like beaters might just be better.
Sorry about the sketchiness of the discussion. I cannot claim to have tested this in any way, but a core that supports 8 Moons + Thorn seemed like it might be interesting.

Phoenix Ignition
11-21-2013, 01:08 AM
here is the issue i see.

With 8 moon effects and a "cute" 2 card combo that doesn't kill outright you have to have something favorable over painter stone.

If you go more aggro route you end up with something like dragon stompy which has actually transformed into moggcatcher.deck IMO. I wouldn't really play it any other way.

Unfortunatly purphos does not hit creatures so you'll need game against creatures or a way to card advantage them. grim lavamancer fills that role nicely as well as pyroclasm. Goblins merfolk shard less D&T and bug don't really want to see either of those let alone the moon effects.

The upside to purphos / norin is its difficult to interact with. The downside is that its slower than molasses for legacy. 4 damage every time you get a turn is nice but thats a 5 turn clock starting on t2 at the earliest....

The real issue is that if you are just running red, then you get 1 tutor that is helpful, imperial recruiter . He can get a lavamancer / norin / magus / another recruiter / siege gang commander. Now you are left with a strategy that cannot find your purphos. You could add a sensei's diving top to dig, but with no fetches it's lack luster.

Unfortunatly you can't really afford to run pandemonium because the first time your opponent drops a emrakul into play you'll opt to take it out.
Wrong forum, we're in Modern here.

As for the deck, with the current list you have, I don't see how it will kill fast enough if Blood Moon doesn't do anything. None of the creatures on their own can bash, leaving you with basically only a Purphoros win. maybe looking into a few low costed red creatures could help, dragon stompy from Legacy plays mostly Modern creatures anyway.

YamiJoey
11-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Unearth seems like a thing. Possibly go Boros for Rest Angel? Hyper aggression into Purphoros.

Davran
11-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Unearth seems like a thing. Possibly go Boros for Rest Angel? Hyper aggression into Purphoros.

Sadly, Unearth isn't modern legal.

Mogg War Marshal is something you can do though...2 mana for 6 damage seems pretty nice. It's also not horrible as a random chump blocker, and is somewhat resilient to Pyroclasm.

I might start out with something like this:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Wild Cantor
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Krenko's Command
4 Dragon Fodder

Norin might have a place in here - he's pretty resilient to opposing removal. The only problem with that is that he's only useful when Purphoros is out.

There might also be a place for Young Pyromancer...but I'm not sure if ~12 spells is enough to make that worth it.

Otherwise, I'd probably fill the list with more burn, or some other value 1-2 drop that I'm missing. For mana, it seems like mountains are the way to go...maybe sneak in a couple Teetering Peaks as a backup plan...or even Ghitu Encampment?

Something I entertained for about 30 seconds when Purphoros was spoiled was sticking him in some sort of Kuldotha Red shell. The idea is to use Kuldotha Rebirth, Memnite/Ornithopter and Mox Opal for a bunch of triggers. The problem with that is that you're essentially split between two decks - the fast Kuldotha "combo" and a more midrange Purphoros grindfest.

YamiJoey
11-21-2013, 09:10 AM
No, but Hellspark Elemental is, and that has Unearth.

Davran
11-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Another possibility that occurred to me is Grinning Ignus...but it might actually be terrible since you can only "blink" it as a sorcery and it dies to literally every piece of instant speed removal in the format.

art138
11-22-2013, 10:21 AM
I've played against a R/W Soulsisters deck that was playing Norin and Purphoros. It also had Genesis Chamber which, along with Purphoros, is what ended up killing me.

L0cke
11-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Genesis Chamber is just beastly with Norin. You pretty much always get double the tokens they do.

YamiJoey
11-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Every time they make a guy you match them for it anyway, so yeah that seems sweet. Then you make a guy, making a 1/1, and blinking Norin, making another guy. Genesis Chamber combo beats.

cherub_daemon
11-22-2013, 10:59 PM
As for the deck, with the current list you have, I don't see how it will kill fast enough if Blood Moon doesn't do anything. None of the creatures on their own can bash, leaving you with basically only a Purphoros win. maybe looking into a few low costed red creatures could help, dragon stompy from Legacy plays mostly Modern creatures anyway.

I looked a lot at the Dragon Stompy lists; that's where I got the ideas about Rakka Mar and Siege-Gang Commander. Rakka might be good, but since we don't have the Sol-lands, I think SGC might be too pricey. Beaters-wise, Boggart Ram-Gang might be good. It seems like the Hellbent creatures (Gathan Raiders, Rakdos Pit Dragon) are too risky without a lot more dedication to the prison strategy, and without help from Chrome Mox.

I've played against a R/W Soulsisters deck that was playing Norin and Purphoros. It also had Genesis Chamber which, along with Purphoros, is what ended up killing me.

Damn, Genesis Chamber looks bonkers. I completely forgot about that card. I had actually been thinking per some of the discussion here that Norin was himself too cute, and that going for a more classical prison build with Chalice and Trinisphere and a Purphoros finish would be the way to go, but Chamber might really be crazy.