PDA

View Full Version : [Modern]Skred Red

Entromancer
11-22-2013, 04:19 PM
So this is what I like to play at my local uni. The idea is to use your burn spells to keep creatures/planeswalkers off the board. Blood Moon is, of course, brutal if you can land it. Boros Reckoner is here because of its interaction with Skred and the sweepers. Demigod of Revenge is there in the event a Liliana gets through. Plus its ability to survive a counter spell if your opponent doesn't know what they're doing is nice.

Creatures: 11
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Godo, Bandit Warlord
2 Wurmcoil Engine

Planeswalkers: 3
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Instants/Sorceries/Enchantments:14
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Skred
4 Pyroclasm
1 Dismember
1 Anger of the Gods

Artifacts: 6
4 Coldsteel Heart
2 Batterskull

Lands: 24
1 Mouth of Ronom
4 Scrying Sheets
19 Snow-Covered Mountain

Sideboard: 15
3 Relic of Progenitus
3 Combust
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Volcanic Fallout
3 Defense Grid
3 Sowing Salt

I'm going for a bigger offensive push that can ramp into bigger beaters.

Phoenix Ignition
11-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Interesting deck, but a few cards look off to me. Is Anger of the Gods really maindeck playable with all of your other burn spells? I mean you're playing 4 Skred already that only take out creatures, so I can't imagine Anger really providing that much value. With all of the other burn I'd imagine Anger doesn't do better than a 2 for 1, and even then it'll take out your Boros Reckoners.

With all of your red fatties, you might want to try Fanatic of Mogis. I think he could regularly hit for at least 4, and with any number of Demigod on the table it makes him one of the most dangerous cards in the deck.

I don't like Coldsteel Heart as a mana accelerator. You have a lot of 3 drops that would be devastating to hit the field early, and this doesn't help you do that. I think something like Simian Spirit Guide might suit that roll better, and even gives you the chance of turn 2 or turn 1 Blood Moons, which could just win the game on its own. I understand it is good with Scrying Sheets, but I don't think it's good enough since it doesn't boost your early game.

I think you might also want something in your sideboard against Pod decks and graveyard decks, but that might just be fit to your local metagame.

Entromancer
11-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks for taking a look, Phoenix. I'll try swapping the artifacts for the Spirit Guides. I like Anger as a response to stuff like Voice of Resurgence and Kitchen Finks. If I don't see those too much, I'll usually opt for Volcanic Fallout in the main. I'm not sold on Fanatic of Mogis in this deck. It feels very win-more for my game plan. If I were running a red weenie beatdown, I'd definitely consider it more an option for that deck. Something running BTEs, Ash Zealot and the like. Would Talisman of Impulse be a worthwhile intermediate between Spirit Guide and Coldsteel? I can use it on my opponent's first turn after it comes down for a Bolt or sweeper.

Skred is something you'll play a bit later in the game for maximum effect. So there are instances where Anger (or Fallout) prove useful for holding back the tides of beatdown. It has occurred to me that Faithless Looting could be potentially advantageous in this deck. Ditch extraneous sweepers or load some Demigods in my grave. I'd probably use it in place of Skred, or Magma Jet.

Phoenix Ignition
11-22-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't think Talisman helps that much either just because it still doesn't get down your 3 cmc cards any faster. Simian Spirit Guide might not be the best card for the job, but I still like the ability for ridiculously early Blood Moons as long as you are spending slots on acceleration anyway. It just sucks that he's a 1-shot accelerant and you have a bunch of 5 drops.

I'm a bit worried about the Tron matchup, actually. Bloodmoon is good but you only run 3 and they still can play all of their spells (just a few turns later). You have some hastey flying guys to try to finish them out quick, but is that enough? Maybe some Sowing Salt sideboard or something along those lines.

Mr. Safety
11-23-2013, 08:37 AM
I like the idea, but I think the focus should be much more 'stompy'-ish. I think 4 Blood Moons and 4 Magus of the Moon is the correct place to start, then work in your mid-range bombs like 4x Koth and some number of Chandra. I've been trying to work a stompy-type deck like this similar to Dragon Stompy but I'm not sure Simian Spirit Guide is enough acceleration to land a turn 1 Chalice at 1.

Beyond that, one thing to note is that Skred takes time to mobilize (need 3 Snow Mountains to be as good as Bolt) while Flame Slash will always do 4 damage for one mana right out of the gate. Sorcery speed is a bit of a drawback, but if you're clearing blockers for some beefy attacks it shouldn't matter too much.

YamiJoey
11-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Agrees. 4 Blood Moon, 4 Magus. Probably Trinisphere and Chalice of the void, then stuff like Seething Song. Maybe Hanweir Watchkeep or something as a finisher...

Davran
11-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Agrees. 4 Blood Moon, 4 Magus. Probably Trinisphere and Chalice of the void, then stuff like Seething Song. Maybe Hanweir Watchkeep or something as a finisher...

Sadly Seething Song is banned because WotC hates storm or whatever. Maybe Desperate Ritual for potential splice interactions?

Phoenix Ignition
11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Trinisphere is bad in modern. It's good against blue decks and combo decks in legacy, but blue decks in Modern regularly play things that cost more than 3, and hit land drops far more consistently. Combo decks don't really exist anymore.

In addition, GBx decks are far more prevalent, meaning you'll see a lot of Abrupt Decay if it did get in the way. That's not a huge consideration since GBx decks will play Deathrites long before you get a Trinisphere out, but it is a problem.

That's the same problem with running so many copies of Blood Moon. It doesn't shut down enough decks if they know it's coming, and Lightning Bolt is the premier removal in the format, so you can't really count on Magus of the Moon sticking around. It dies to Pyroclasm, which means it sucks against Tron... I wouldn't run them maindeck.

I think just 4x Blood Moon with a lot of burn spells is enough to slow down a lot of decks in the format, so the deck idea is solid if you can out-big the GBx decks.

Phoenix Ignition
11-23-2013, 08:40 PM
In a Skred thread you just posted a no-snow elemental deck. I think you want a different thread.

Entromancer
11-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Trinisphere is bad in modern. It's good against blue decks and combo decks in legacy, but blue decks in Modern regularly play things that cost more than 3, and hit land drops far more consistently. Combo decks don't really exist anymore.

In addition, GBx decks are far more prevalent, meaning you'll see a lot of Abrupt Decay if it did get in the way. That's not a huge consideration since GBx decks will play Deathrites long before you get a Trinisphere out, but it is a problem.

That's the same problem with running so many copies of Blood Moon. It doesn't shut down enough decks if they know it's coming, and Lightning Bolt is the premier removal in the format, so you can't really count on Magus of the Moon sticking around. It dies to Pyroclasm, which means it sucks against Tron... I wouldn't run them maindeck.

I think just 4x Blood Moon with a lot of burn spells is enough to slow down a lot of decks in the format, so the deck idea is solid if you can out-big the GBx decks.

I couldn't have said it better. I'm already running Dragon Stompy in Legacy, and I wanted to try something a bit different here. If anyone's curious about the original deck list, here it is:

4 Boggart Ram-Gang
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Demigod of Revenge

4 Koth of the Hammer

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Dismember
3 Pyroclasm
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Blood Moon

25 Mountain

This was my inspiration for the deck. Should I revert to form, perhaps?

Entromancer
11-24-2013, 02:58 PM
I also questioned the viability of Skred itself. I could have ignored the thread but I decided to give my honest opinion, which is to pursue a different route with the same focus on Blood Moon/stompy approach. I could always delete my post, but my opinion wouldn't change. Honestly, Skred Red is a non-deck and I don't think it will ever be a deck. *shrug* Not that my pet-card Elemental deck will ever get there either...

MTGsalvation has a thread on it under Modern deck creation. It seems that the people there are getting good results at their locals with the big beater approach. Stompy's hard to do in this format. Hence my decision to go more with burn to control the field. As I said in my original post this morning, Dismember is an alternative to Skred that lets me keep my removal Instant speed. Alternatively, if the lifeloss proves problematic, Flame Slash is also a feasible solution. Skred's speed is rarely an issue, as I've got other burn to use while I rack up my Snow count.

I'd ask that you keep your pet decks out of this thread unless they're on point with the sort of build I'm trying to perfect. :smile:

Blair Phoenix
11-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Earthquake? Can wipe the board of weenies when you need, but can also act as a fireball with Koth out.

Entromancer
11-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Earthquake? Can wipe the board of weenies when you need, but can also act as a fireball with Koth out.

It could be an excellent sweeper at 2 to complement Anger. I'll give it a shot. Shame we don't have Burning Wish in Modern. :cry: What about Kargan Dragonlord in the deck, possibly in place of that Boggart Ram-Gang?

Phoenix Ignition
11-25-2013, 05:18 PM
I also questioned the viability of Skred itself. I could have ignored the thread but I decided to give my honest opinion, which is to pursue a different route with the same focus on Blood Moon/stompy approach. I could always delete my post, but my opinion wouldn't change. Honestly, Skred Red is a non-deck and I don't think it will ever be a deck. *shrug* Not that my pet-card Elemental deck will ever get there either...

One great thing about Skred is that it can 1 for 1 Tarmogoyf at any stage in the game. That ability shouldn't be overlooked, since GBx decks are common and Tarmogoyf is frequently their trump card against red strategies. It can also take down stuff like Wurmcoil Engine, bringing the lifelink down to reasonable sizes. There are plenty of other creatures that may get large enough that nothing else can take them out (baneslayer angel, Serra ascendant, Ajani's Pridemate, Primeval Titan, and plenty more cards that actually see play).

I think all mono-red midrange decks should be playing snow-lands with Skred. It's just better than most of the other things you can do, and if you're going to be hitting your land drops anyway for playing high cost spells, it ramps at the same speed as large creatures that people drop.

Mr. Safety
11-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I'd ask that you keep your pet decks out of this thread unless they're on point with the sort of build I'm trying to perfect. :smile:

Fair enough, my apologies, post deleted.

With Skred and Snow Mountains it sort of begs the question: what about Scrying Sheets? Once you have about 23-24 lands in the deck (reasonable considering the curve) then it gets quite a bit better. Converting those Snow Mountains into some sort of advantage shouldn't be too hard, maybe by just *easily* hitting five red sources for Demigod of Revenge or Deus of Calamity. Scrying Sheets gets worse with Blood Moon, but if you have a Moon out and it works against your matchup it shouldn't really matter. On the other hand, against other red decks Scrying Sheets could be a significant source of card/mana advantage.

Phoenix Ignition
11-25-2013, 07:40 PM

With Skred and Snow Mountains it sort of begs the question: what about Scrying Sheets? Once you have about 23-24 lands in the deck (reasonable considering the curve) then it gets quite a bit better. Converting those Snow Mountains into some sort of advantage shouldn't be too hard, maybe by just *easily* hitting five red sources for Demigod of Revenge or Deus of Calamity. Scrying Sheets gets worse with Blood Moon, but if you have a Moon out and it works against your matchup it shouldn't really matter. On the other hand, against other red decks Scrying Sheets could be a significant source of card/mana advantage.

Uhhh, check the OP list.

Entromancer
11-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Apology accepted. I've ran one of those elemental decks before, in Lorwyn Standard.

Thanks. If only we had Seething Song, I'd definitely run Deus of Calamity in here. In the second list I posted, the non-snow one, does anyone have suggestions for creatures that I could use in place of Ram-Gang? I'd love to make Chandra's Phoenix work, but it gets hit by all my sweepers. Kargan Dragonlord, perhaps? I would be aiming for a 4/4 flyer that can survive the sweepers. Phyrexian Ironfoot might merit consideration, too. It adds to my Snow count and can survive both sweepers.

Blair Phoenix
11-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Apology accepted. I've ran one of those elemental decks before, in Lorwyn Standard.

Thanks. If only we had Seething Song, I'd definitely run Deus of Calamity in here. In the second list I posted, the non-snow one, does anyone have suggestions for creatures that I could use in place of Ram-Gang? I'd love to make Chandra's Phoenix work, but it gets hit by all my sweepers. Kargan Dragonlord, perhaps? I would be aiming for a 4/4 flyer that can survive the sweepers. Phyrexian Ironfoot might merit consideration, too. It adds to my Snow count and can survive both sweepers.

Ironfoot is just bad. Being snow is not enough to make up for that horrendous downside. I'd use Ashenmoor Gouger in a heartbeat over him for beats. Or you could go with something like Spitemare if you wanted more Boros Reckoner-like interactions. As for Kargan Dragonlord, it could possibly work, but I forsee lots of instances where you'll need to pick between keeping your Kargan alive vs sweeping when he's a 2/2 when you really really need to sweep.

Mr. Safety
11-27-2013, 04:05 PM
uhhh, check the op list.

doh!

Entromancer
11-30-2013, 05:01 PM
I've decided to restrict my ramp to Coldsteel Heart and dropped Koth in favor of Chandra. I'm looking at playing a more grindy game with my removal suite that will let me drop Wurmcoil, Godo + Batterskull and/or Stormbreath. Reckoner is still here for its ability to win games.

wooboy11
03-24-2014, 11:17 AM
So, how about turning this into a The Mountains Win Again port? 4 Koth + 4 Genju of the Spires, backed up by tons of burn + all 8 Blood Moon should be quite devastating in this modern metagame.

Maybe add main board Tormod's Crypt and Torpor Orb and you've got yourself a hate-all deck.

FTW
03-24-2014, 06:53 PM
I would like to see an 8Moon deck with burn, Koth, SSG and dos dragons.

It would be hilarious to see someone play Stuffy Doll + Boros Reckoner in said deck alongside Anger of the Gods, Skred and Blasphemous Act in in the 75. So much death, so much damage. All the burns.

wooboy11
03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Off the top of my head:

4x Blood Moon
4x Magus of the Moon
3x Phyrexian Revoker
4x Torpor Orb

4x Koth of the Hammer
4x Genju of the Spires
1x Thundermaw Hellkite

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Flame Slash
2x Pyroclasm / Sudden Demise

4x Simian Spirit Guide

22x Mountain

No_Life_No_Future
03-25-2014, 11:30 PM
The deck looks nice. I might try Slagstorm or Anger of the Gods over Pyroclasm if you play against zoo. A great sideboard card for mono-red is Shattering Spree. How is your Pod matchup?

astormbrewing
04-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Here is the deck I've been playing with:

4 Boros Reckoner
2 Magus of the Moon
3 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Stormbreath Dragon

3 Anger of the Gods
4 Blood Moon
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Koth of the Hammer
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Pyroclasm
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Skred

21 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Scrying Sheets

Side:
2 Blasphemous Act
4 Combust
2 Damping Matrix
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Shattering Blow
2 Shatterstorm
2 Thorn of Amethyst

Mr. Froggy
06-03-2014, 05:24 PM
I want to try out Chandra, Pyromaster. How has she been for you?

Megadeus
07-16-2014, 12:10 AM
My buddy 3-1'd our local with Skred tonight. Got me wanting to play it too. A couple lists:

My buddies that we put together. I like it but I would make a few changes:

4 Boros Reckoner
4 Demigod of Revenge
1 Batterskull
1 Magus of the Moon (because we didn't have access to the 4th actual Blood Moon)

4 Koth of the Hammer

4 Coldsteel Heart
4 Skred
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pyroclasm
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Blasphemous Act (watched him cast this with 2 reckoners out killing his opponent from 18 life)
1 Faithless Looting
3 Blood Moon

24 Snow Mountain

I forget his SB. It was bad because it was last minute. I like the list, but I think I would play 1 Chandra, Pyromaster in place of the Looting.

A list I would very much like to try out for funsies:

4 Boros Reckoner
4 Hornets Nest
3 Stormbreath Dragon

4 Koth of the Hammer

4 Skred
4 Coldsteel Heart
3 Pyroclasm
3 Blashphemous Act
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Blood Moon

5 Snow Forest
18 Snow Mountain

Sideboard stuff like Torpor Orb, Relics, Combust.

I just need to live the dream and cast Blasphemous Act with hornets nest out.

Phoenix Ignition
07-16-2014, 12:30 AM
What did he lose to? Skred is a fun card and surprisingly decent against stuff like Tarmogoyf. I would definitely play Chandras for card advantage, and maybe even the new double strike 1/3 guy who gives you cards for a turn. Why forgo Scrying Sheets? I'd imagine that'd be really good if you don't have a blood moon out, and if you do it's just another mountain.

Megadeus
07-16-2014, 12:58 AM
What did he lose to? Skred is a fun card and surprisingly decent against stuff like Tarmogoyf. I would definitely play Chandras for card advantage, and maybe even the new double strike 1/3 guy who gives you cards for a turn. Why forgo Scrying Sheets? I'd imagine that'd be really good if you don't have a blood moon out, and if you do it's just another mountain.

He lost to Dredgevine. Lotleth Troll is borderline impossible to kill, and we forgot to put Gravehate into the SB since it was kinda last minute lol.

Scrying sheets might be good. Don't know. We just figured, why draw it and 2 mountains and not be able to cast Reckoner? I haven't played the deck yet (but I will be picking up pieces in the coming weeks), so I won't claim to be an expert, but it just seems incredibly mediocre. Plus it is tough to cast Demigod if you have it as well.

Also he beat: UR Delver (near infinite removal LOLs at your 12 creature delver deck), Junk Midrange?, and BG Zombies. Not T1 strategies, but still not bad decks nonetheless.

The Crow's Eye
09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
My experience has been that Scrying Sheets is generally bad. This is my approach to Skred, taking a more controllish approach. I don't like Magus of the Moon in here. It dies to too many things in Modern. Besides, Phyrexian Obliterator is a pain to deal with.

4 Boros Reckoner
2 Koth of the Hammer
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
4 Stormbreath Dragon

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Skred
4 Magma Jet
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Volcanic Fallout
2 Molten Rain
3 Blood Moon
2 Mind Stone
2 Coldsteel Heart

1 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
22 Snow-Covered Mountain

YamiJoey
09-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Are you genuinely expecting to hit your seventh land? Without a Blood Moon in play? Without them just Edging your 1-of Valakut?

The Crow's Eye
09-05-2014, 02:29 PM
If I get a good draw, I expect to. If it looks like I've got the game clinched, I wouldn't expect to get land seven. Ditto if I get a bad draw. Looking ahead, I may lose the moons for more LD and the Valakut for Boseiju. I don't think Moon is going to be as good in Modern after the allied fetches enter the format.

cherub_daemon
09-11-2014, 07:35 AM
A recent-ish top 8 result from a PTQ in Italy:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8056&d=246443&f=MO

Goes by MRC rather than Skred Red. Not sure how much in there should be considered great tech as opposed to being a smart meta call, but I like some of the features. Thought the thread would be interested.

Megadeus
09-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Good old shrine of burning rage, AKA the ticking time bomb. I loved that card in standard. Play it and then stare at your opponent because they now have a set window they must win the game in

The Crow's Eye
09-15-2014, 12:38 AM
My buddy 3-1'd our local with Skred tonight. Got me wanting to play it too. A couple lists:

My buddies that we put together. I like it but I would make a few changes:

4 Boros Reckoner
4 Demigod of Revenge
1 Batterskull
1 Magus of the Moon (because we didn't have access to the 4th actual Blood Moon)

4 Koth of the Hammer

4 Coldsteel Heart
4 Skred
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pyroclasm
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Blasphemous Act (watched him cast this with 2 reckoners out killing his opponent from 18 life)
1 Faithless Looting
3 Blood Moon

24 Snow Mountain

I forget his SB. It was bad because it was last minute. I like the list, but I think I would play 1 Chandra, Pyromaster in place of the Looting.

A list I would very much like to try out for funsies:

4 Boros Reckoner
4 Hornets Nest
3 Stormbreath Dragon

4 Koth of the Hammer

4 Skred
4 Coldsteel Heart
3 Pyroclasm
3 Blashphemous Act
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Blood Moon

5 Snow Forest
18 Snow Mountain

Sideboard stuff like Torpor Orb, Relics, Combust.

I just need to live the dream and cast Blasphemous Act with hornets nest out.

Do you think that second list could support Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker in place of Blasphemous Act? I have often found myself with an excess of mana, thanks to Coldsteel Heart, and my builds currently run 23 Snow-Covered Mountain.

Mr. Froggy
09-21-2014, 04:36 PM
I don't see how you guys run so many lands.. I run 22 (2 are Sheets) and I find I have too many most times.

The Crow's Eye
12-15-2014, 03:50 PM
What I am currently playing:

4 Boros Reckoner
3 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
4 Koth of the Hammer
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Skred
3 Relic of Progenitus
4 Magma Jet
3 Pyroclasm
2 Volcanic Fallout
2 Blood Moon

23 Snow-Covered Mountain

Sideboard: 15
3 Guttural Response
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
3 Dragon's Claw
3 Combust
2 Shatterstorm
2 Blood Moon

The Crow's Eye
03-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Updated for DTK:

2 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Thunderbreak Regent
2 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Thundermaw Hellkite

4 Koth of the Hammer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Skred
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Shrine of Burning Rage
3 Pyroclasm
4 Blood Moon
2 Mind Stone

2 Scrying Sheets
21 Snow-Covered Mountain

Regent seems like our version of Phyrexian Obliterator. They target it, we get them closer to 0.

Tylert
03-25-2015, 05:07 AM
Pyrite spellbomb: Is it only to have something colorless for Protec red guys?